• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Are you dissatisfied with your type?

barnkaetzchen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
The question is vague and can mean any number of things. Do you ever wish you were another type? Are there characteristics or stereotypes of SJ's that you hate about yourself or at least wish you didn't fit into? Is there another type you wish you were? Essentially, I think it boils down to perception of types, either how you feel someone else perceives your type or you because of your type, or how you perceive yourself vs your type. I think sometimes SJ's are perceived as less intelligent, that Si is an inherently illogical function (when described in terms of preservation of tradition, adherence to what is known, etc), and so on and so forth. Have you ever felt this way? Or is it just me? lol. I do have many friends that are NTs, several of the friends I spend the most time with. So I frequently feel the outsider. Also, it doesn't help that there are not many accurate ESTJ portrayals on film, but that people are happy to ascribe ESTJ as a type to relatively flat side-characters that have not been given enough screen time to justify any type given and are usually not viewed especially favourably. Again, the stereotypes of ESTJs in yet another area are non-favourable. Sometimes I feel like disclosing my type is like admitting something negative about myself, depending on who I'm speaking with.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I'm dissatisfied with my individual shortcomings, which mostly do, though not always, fit within the framework of my MBTI.

My MBTI is instructive interpretation of my strengths and weaknesses. My MBTI itself is not the strength or weakness.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love being who I am. I'm a person, not a type, and I like me. I don't like the descriptions of my type of the stereotypes of it, but since I don't feel the need to use typology as an identity crutch anymore, it doesn't matter.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
If there's one thing I'm confident in, it's my intellect (... and honestly I don't think much of the many NTs on this site, to be perfectly ... uhhh... okay maybe this wasn't the most diplomatic thing to say, but then again... shrugs), and the thing about it is that I've worked hard for it, just as I've had to work hard to come to the conclusion about what type I am, since I more or less get typed as intuitive.

Also, actually, Pi is all by definition irrational, which probably is why in socionics they decided to just make it another type entirely. I digress. So theoretically, Ni is no more rational than Si is. I'd even go so far as to argue that at least Si is, by definition, rooted in reality and empirical, but really, I've seen people use Si in ways I wouldn't care for, and I've seen Ni users be so off the mark that they're just. Eh.*

It's people's perceptions of the types that should change. Reality is always more complicated than categories, and I'm here to challenge that.

*Don't get me wrong, with a very GOOD Ni user you could really potentially take over the world, assuming you have the means to do so. And if not that sense of astute perception can be really exhilarating to behold. But I'm only thinking of two specific people when I'm typing this footnote.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I occasionally do wish I was another type, but maybe if I was another type I would wish I was an ISTJ. The grass is always greener on the other side saying is especially relevant with type I find.

If you're ESTJ then you're fine in the logic department, being Te dom, and like Washington said, Ni is no more logical than Si. It's not a bad thing, but Pi is not really about logic.

Some NTs view themselves as the smartest and the best on typology sites. People who do this tend to have low self esteem, and use arrogance to make them feel better about themselves. It's not personal, and if they treat you as stupid because of your type than ignore them. If you really look at MBTI, then you'll see that it's less about intelligence and ability and more about preference and focus.

About portrayal in film, idk if there's an objective way to see which character is which type. Sometimes people type characters and real people they hate as ESXJs, but people have such varying opinions on type that it's hard for everyone to agree.

The stereotypes that I seem to hate are SJs not having their own opinions and being drones. Call me silly, but it is offensive, and I think harmful for younger members to hear and/or think this about other types. This isn't even just mbti related. If somone thinks any one group of people is incapable of thinking for themselves, then they should be ashamed of themself, and I have no respect or them.

The other stereotypes can sometimes be true, but that stereotype well that basically justifies prejudices. I know no mbti type is actually oppressed, but it's important to prevent it when you see signs.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, that's like asking me to be unhappy with the fact that I have an arm. My type is who I am, the more I embrace it the stronger I become.

barnkaetzchen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
The stereotypes that I seem to hate are SJs not having their own opinions and being drones.

Yes, this one. This is something I hear a lot, and it makes me hyper aware about instances in which I think "that's just how it's done," ways in which I might be acting without awareness and intentionality, or ways in which I am just repeating what I have been taught.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd like to maybe be an ISFP. I relate to the type enough that I'd still retain most of myself, but hopefully the aux Se would help me spill stuff less/fall down stairs less/lock myself out of the car less.

I'd like to maybe be an ISFP. I relate to the type enough that I'd still retain most of myself, but hopefully the aux Se would help me spill stuff less/fall down stairs less/lock myself out of the car less.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help me much in that department at all. I still tumble and fall and make a mess of things all while losing crap around me all the time. So much for Se, lol.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unfortunately, it doesn't help me much in that department at all. I still tumble and fall and make a mess of things all while losing crap around me all the time. So much for Se, lol.

Alas. :cry::cry::cry:

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think clumsiness is correlated to type. XD I could be wrong though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to wish I was an extrovert but not for a long time.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The question is vague and can mean any number of things. Do you ever wish you were another type? Are there characteristics or stereotypes of SJ's that you hate about yourself or at least wish you didn't fit into? Is there another type you wish you were? Essentially, I think it boils down to perception of types, either how you feel someone else perceives your type or you because of your type, or how you perceive yourself vs your type. I think sometimes SJ's are perceived as less intelligent, that Si is an inherently illogical function (when described in terms of preservation of tradition, adherence to what is known, etc), and so on and so forth. Have you ever felt this way? Or is it just me? lol. I do have many friends that are NTs, several of the friends I spend the most time with. So I frequently feel the outsider. Also, it doesn't help that there are not many accurate ESTJ portrayals on film, but that people are happy to ascribe ESTJ as a type to relatively flat side-characters that have not been given enough screen time to justify any type given and are usually not viewed especially favourably. Again, the stereotypes of ESTJs in yet another area are non-favourable. Sometimes I feel like disclosing my type is like admitting something negative about myself, depending on who I'm speaking with.
Speaking as an ESTJ who has had to fight those stereotypes off for years... screw 'em. It's not the fault of your type, it's the fault of people who don't understand it well enough - and people who, when writing screenplays or books, reduce people like us to idiotic caricatures of who we really are.

Be proud, my ESTJ brother. I'm awesome and so are you.

barnkaetzchen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I used to wish I was an extrovert but not for a long time.

I have heard this from some introverts. Something about it being expected culturally/socially, etc. But they also seem quite content with being introverts when the stereotypes and accusations of extraverts being shallow, etc start flying.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking as an ESTJ who has had to fight those stereotypes off for years... screw 'em. It's not the fault of your type, it's the fault of people who don't understand it well enough - and people who, when writing screenplays or books, reduce people like us to idiotic caricatures of who we really are.

Be proud, my ESTJ brother. I'm awesome and so are you.

I have always liked ESTJs xD

barnkaetzchen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I don't think clumsiness is correlated to type. XD I could be wrong though.

I mean, I suppose it's possible to correlate, but I feel like it would be related to interests of various types rather than the type itself. For example, it's possible some types are more likely to be interested in activities that have as a benefit an effect on balance. But beyond that, probably not.

Sil

This is a test.
With myself, no. With the limitations of MBTI, I suppose so, to an extent. I find surface ESTJ descriptions do not often have enough lightness to them to be relevant to me.

Red Ribbon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't really care either way. I am an ESTJ is a fact. I don't really put any value on it. I might as well have been INFP or ENTJ, it makes very little difference to me either way. As far as other people's perception goes, I've observed that N types have their own perceived flaws as well but they interpret it as a positive quality, for example, immature INTJs being proud of their lack of social skills. Mature individuals know that every type has it's own worth and will not care about what an angry, immature person might say.

I remember, when I was on PerC, I was told that I have no right to complain about being misunderstood because I'm an SJ. Honestly what would one say to this person? Absolutely nothing. No mature person would say that.

At the end of the day, I am an individual. I know this, the people who matter know this. I don't really care what baggage is associated with my type because it doesn't add or subtract from who I am. This is what I feel about MBTI in general.

This is also why type related question threads annoy me. "How can I get XXXX type to like me?" "XXXX type did this, what does it mean?"
Individuals are different from one other. A cookie cutter approach doesn't work to MBTI. No two ESTJs are the same. I know another ESTJ I absolutely do not get along with me. That doesn't mean one of us is mistyped because we don't understand each other.

Sorry if this turned into a small rant.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel like it would be easier to be Fe, rather than Fi, in a lot of senses. You don't feel as strongly about things and can be more lenient. My Fi with E1 just goes wild.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You don't feel as strongly about things and can be more lenient.

Nah, I feel incredibly strongly about a lot of things, I just don't bother arguing with people when I know it'll be a waste of my time