• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ Anything!

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, ISTJs - I have a question. Why are you so terrified to take even small risks or take one step outside the predictable?

Mozzie610

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
How do I convince you that having a job isn't the only way to have happiness in life?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Fellow ISTJs: do you find yourself surrounded by people with no attention to detail? At work, I'm the only one who notices mistakes, screw-ups, and bad practices from my co-workers. Sometimes I do point out the mistakes of others, but I don't want to be the guy who nitpicks everyone. Lately, I've decided to let mistakes go unnoticed for a week or two but eventually I can't stand it any longer and point out everyone's mistakes.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Fellow ISTJs: do you find yourself surrounded by people with no attention to detail? At work, I'm the only one who notices mistakes, screw-ups, and bad practices from my co-workers. Sometimes I do point out the mistakes of others, but I don't want to be the guy who nitpicks everyone. Lately, I've decided to let mistakes go unnoticed for a week or two but eventually I can't stand it any longer and point out everyone's mistakes.

It's very irritating and feels like ppl don't have integrity, even if they're generally nice people. Drives me low key nuts but it's usually not worth it to fight the battle, think of it in terms of "degrees" where some degrees are acceptable, and that generally is a very wide berth, because ppl have their own reasoning or sometimes just don't notice/care, and it can be counterproductive to be too detail-oriented because you're working with people, and people have that kind of quality where they're like that. Also it's possible that you make mistakes and just dont notice it, so if u cut ppl slack those are the exact type that will cut you slack, because they dgaf.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I wouldn't call it "detail" so much as "obvious facts they refuse to accept" but yes :dry:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Penguin said:
I wouldn't call it "detail" so much as "obvious facts they refuse to accept" but yes

I'm talking about things like checking the answer machine, checking the fax machine, remembering to order paper, returning calls, and other tasks that are part of the job.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yeah, but if you keep expectations low, it won't seem as bad.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm talking about things like checking the answer machine, checking the fax machine, remembering to order paper, returning calls, and other tasks that are part of the job.

I haven't had a job in a few years. I've been applying but nobody has hired me.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm having trouble with a particularly unhealthy ISTJ. A few items: controlling, socially inept (which I thought belonged to my personality type... but no, this is a whole other level of clueless), inserts herself into conversations that don't involve her and then acts like she knows answers when she knows nothing on the topic, and hypercritical of others but throws a fit if anyone disagrees with her. For instance, I called her out (carefully, but that doesn't matter) on something she inserted herself in where her comment was actually detrimental (normally I ignore it) and now she's off fuming. Her response to me was that it's my fault because what she read didn't provide a full history and description of the entire issue-- keep in mind, this was a series of comments I was having with someone she doesn't even know on a topic that has nothing to do with her. How do I communicate "what you did is not socially appropriate" without making things worse?
In summary, this has been going on for years and I'm on the verge of losing it, which would probably involve yelling "for the sake of everyone who has to put up with you, why don't you go sign up for a social skills class?" ... which would not end well.
For those of you who might have more insight into how her mind operates-- is there an effective way to get an unaware ISTJ to understand boundaries?