• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJ feeling lost - asking for advice

pj12346

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What do you do to regain confidence and mental clarity after high school? I loved high school and became very emotionally attached to it, my teachers, my daily routine, and my home life. I felt in control and powerful over my home life and school life. I graduated in May 2014 and have not felt the same since. I do not feel like the "old" me who attacked everyday and looked back. Now my mind is more anxious and feel so unstable.
I've lived in the same house for almost 18 years. I now live with my mom and dad and commute to community college. I went to a small Catholic school that cost $50,000 a year (I had a $19,000 a year scholarship) my freshman year, had horrible roommates that did drugs and partied, and ended up flunking out. Even though I moved back home I still haven't regained my self confidence.

In high school my day was extremely structured. Get up, eat breakfast, walk the dog, have my mom drop me off at school (I didn't get my license until I was 19), be in classes 8 to 2:45, and then wait until my carpool came at around 4. My parents got home at 5:15, so I was not alone very much.
I also ran my own businesses throughout high school and was a B/C student. I "floated" through high school academically. My life was business, family, and then school in that order. My businesses were on my mind 24/7, I was obsessed.
I was always been extremely close with my teachers. They knew me very well and always supported me and made me feel good. I have always been kind of needy emotionally.
In my first year of college I got kicked out of my 4 person suite (roommates were doing drugs and partying and disliked me for not participating), failed several classes, started having anxiety attacks, and went on medicine/steroids that made me gain 40 pounds in three months, and started fighting with my parents more

My parents are supportive. I love them 100%. After high school a lot of tough love began (like get a job instead of running my business). They paid $30,000 a year for my freshman year and I flunked out with a 1.8 GPA (I was a 3.0 to 3.2 GPA in high school). I rely on my mom for emotional support now more than ever. We have always been close (I'm a mama's boy), but in high school I was so confident and emotionally "stable" and happy, that I did not need much emotional support from my parents (I never said no to it, though).

My parents want me to succeed, but they want me to work for it like they did (Go to college and get a job). My mom paid her way through college with absolutely zero help from her parents. I have always been an entrepreneur and have always had huge goals/dreams, so since the age of 10 nothing I have ever done since then has impressed them or made them say wow. I have only had one "real" job and that was the summer before college working at TJ Max making $7.25 an hour.
I have always been a little behind in life. I did not get my drivers license until I was well over 19 and failed my test three or four times. I did not talk until I was three years old. I was born with some thyroid/hormone problems and my mom has 100% been there every step of the way talking to doctors, making appointments, etc. I'm almost 21 and she still goes to appointments with me and asks the doctor questions. Plain and simple, my mom is my rock. But that does not mean we do not argue. Growing up I was a VERY submissive child. I would agree with my mom on everything. That ended by the eighth grade.
My mom is 51 and my dad is 59. I have an 18 year old sister who is a straight A, 4.0 GPA student, as well as an athlete. She is headstrong, completely independent, and not attached to my parents at all. They are paying $40,000 to send her to an out of state college.
The high school I went to was a small Catholic high school. My graduating class had 310 people (1,200 students in the whole school). I knew everyone and everyone knew me. While I had plenty of friends, I was always closer with my teachers (and the librarian for some reason) I started a bass fishing club there (I love to fish) and even started a charity fishing tournament. I had influence and clout in the school. I have not felt "in control" since graduating two years ago.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
first off, welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you need here.

one thing you may not know, but are currently experiencing, the brain does not fully develop until we are 25 or so. The period from 18 to 25 is extremely troubling for many because while we seem like we are adults, we are acting without a complete toolbox. In particularly, the front lobe, responsible for judgment, is the last part to develop.

The transition from high school to college is hard for many because it hits at exactly the same time as a huge mental change.

As one expert in learning explained to me, freshman college courses are largely repeats of what was taught in high school because it just never sunk in much before because the brains just can't really think well.

Anyway, be confident that most people screw up majorly during the post high school years for this reason. And it really isn't anyone's fault.

As to your parents, it is likely they don't understand the radical change is the econony and society in the last 25 years. Most people don't get it, unfortunately.

I would recommend working on personal development and finding what you really want to do. Community college is a great affordable option and there is no need to rush to find yourself.

Try to enjoy life and let it come to you naturally.

We do have some great SFJs here that might be able to guide you more on being a SFJ.

Good luck.

Mole

Permabanned
Coming from a structured and emotionally supportive environment, and now being lost and not in control, is a big change.

Sometimes I feel as though I don't know what to do. My mind searches for things to do, and my mind seeks to find the structure in my world. But while my mind is searching and seeking, my deeper mind is finding its feet.

So now when I don't know what to do, I relax, look around ,me, see how I feel, and start to be in touch with my deeper self.

I find it scary not knowing what to do, but deeply satisfying to listen to my deeper self.