• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] are ISFJ's squeamish?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Thinking also about another ISFJ I know, who also gives off an impression of general fearfulness, example: she won't cook meat, because she's afraid that she might do it wrong and end up being poisoned by it not being cooked properly. And if you cook meat for her, she'll be prodding at it and checking if it's properly cooked and quizzing you about how many minutes exactly you had it on the grill for, when you turned it, etc....

My father does that, and he's an INTP.

Well, not to that extent, but he freaks out if food is cold.

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj
i can be squeamish sometimes but mostly i'm deeply affected by violence, real or fake. i get nightmares, i can't help it!

i can handle obviously fake violence like in Kill Bill or something, but Million Dollar Baby made me nauseous and caused nightmares.

i've gotten over a lot of my more ocd tendencies, but some linger. i ride public transit so i can't be too upset about germs, though i do wash my hands as soon as i get to my destination. also, having a child and potty training and the gallons of poop and pee have softened some of the gross-out factor of many things.

like, i watched "2 girls 1 cup" out of curiosity, and of course i thought it was disgusting, but i wasn't affected by it at all. just left with the thought, "why would anyone do that? that's gross."

i think your sister's issues are perhaps not related to type.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
An ISFJ male is the prudest person I know. Won't talk about sex or even comment on attractive people. A college-aged male, at that!

Lightning_Rider

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't think it really has to do with being an ISFJ or not. It depends on what it is, I think everyone has something that will gross them out. But for me mushrooms certainly don't make my stomach turn...

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
My mom is isfp..or isfj and we're both pretty squeamish when it comes to violence.Graphic or "auditory" it gives us tingly sensations in our legs when we hear very "surgical" scene descriptions.
We can't handle being yelled at either=>:cry:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm an isfp and I am incredibly squeamish when it comes to violence. I can't watch a violent movie by myself. Someone has to tell me when it's safe to open my eyes again.
When I see someone experiencing pain, I actually experience it with that person.
I'm not squeamish about handling bugs or worms or cleaning up after the cats after they get sick.

My mom is isfp..or isfj and we're both pretty squeamish when it comes to violence.Graphic or "auditory" it gives us tingly sensations in our legs when we hear very "surgical" scene descriptions.
We can't handle being yelled at either=>:cry:

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an INFJ and I'm quite squeamish. It used to be I couldn't go near any body fluids without feeling nauseous, but years of owning pets and clearing up their various unpleasant bodily discharges have cured me of that tendency.

However, I remain very squeamish around blood. I can handle the stuff itself (when it's nicely packaged in a test-tube) but I can't deal very well with cuts or wounds when there's a lot of blood involved. I've even been known to pass out on a few occasions - so I'd be useless at first-aid!

With fantasy/TV violence it all depends how realistic it is. For example, I loved the Kill Bill movies despite the blood and gore, because it was portrayed in comic-book style.

chimpuloc

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My ISFJ sister lives in North Carolina. We correspond by e-mail, mostly. Yesterday I went out to a nature reserve and took lots of pictures of all the different kinds of mushrooms they have there (and though I say it myself, the pics aren't half bad). I sent her the link to my Flickr so she could have a browse and she wrote back:

"Euw, looking at mushrooms makes me want to puke. Gross."

I laughed and said sis, you've always been squeamish, I remember a time when I mentioned the word 'spleen' in passing in a sentence and you pushed your dinner plate away and blamed me for 'making' you not be able to eat it.

She answered,

"I'm not that bad anymore, but if I think about what I'm eating (meat-wise) I totally can't eat it anymore. That's why I have to have steaks cooked at least medium well and hate handling raw chicken.
I'm also very careful about what I eat around J after he has tricked me into eating rabbit and deer and probably squirrel too, who knows with that red neck!!!!
I like my food to look nice and B makes fun of me all the time because whenever I order a sandwich I have to dismantle and rebuild it so it looks pretty and the fillings are distributed evenly. I hate when there's a giant mound of turkey in the middle and the tomatoes falling out and the cheese is all on one side etc. Ok so maybe I'm a little OCD, but I'm ok with that! Probably why I have a miniature hand sanitizer clipped onto my handbag too. I hate germs, euwwyyyy!"

And I'm thinking, is this the beginning warning signs of a person en route to developing the life-taking-over kind of OCD that I'm familiar with in another SJ friend of mine?

I just find it a bit worrying, considering that this girl grew up on a farm like I did and when we were kids we used to play with mud and bugs and dead rodents caught by the cats, and y'know... she didn't develop this squeamishness until her late teens... I wonder what it's all about??

Organization and control. Both stemming from the J in most ISFJs.
One the strongest aspects of the personality and also one of the biggest flaws. Being able to control these issues/"urges" is one of the greatest challenges to overcome
And no, I'm not squeamish :D

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I carry hand sanitizer. I don't want to get sick and not be able to go to work. Plus, colds are a nuisance. And sometimes there is no soap in the public restroom.

I'm squeamish. Once I got my finger pricked for a blood test, and the woman squeezed my finger to make the blood come out, and I fainted to the floor. I can't watch gory movies and if I do, the scenes NEVER LEAVE ME. I flash back on them the rest of my life. I remember the first sadistic thing I ever saw in a movie, I was so shocked and hurt, I thought I'd die -- I was about 9 (a man was branded in the chest in the movie). My stomach clenches and I get electric shock feelings in the palms of my hands, and if it's bad enough, I cry and will be depressed for a day or two. Ditto with news having to do with sadists (child torturing, murderers, etc.) Literally makes me sick. It's literally painful in my body. So ... not so much my idea of fun, and since reading about or seeing gore is optional, I opt not to.

I'll rearrange a sandwich if, for example, all the pickles are stacked in one spot, because I don't like the taste of that much pickle at once. I'll eat pretty much whatever you put in front of me, including rabbit or squirrel. I wouldn't eat cat or dog because they're companion animals and it would feel like cannibalism. Although any animal could be a companion animal. Thing is, I don't feel any need whatsoever to be logical in my personal preferences, since they are just that.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, no! Was it the part about the pickles?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
No, the first thing.

For some reason cuts or pricks on the fronts of my fingers floor me but anywhere else isn't so much a problem.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah! Fainting is so weird, isn't it? You're there and then you're not.

mai345

MBTI Type
ISFJ
weird. I've never fainted before, sounds like a new experience that wouldn't be that bad.
im not squeamish, i just get disgusted with my little brothers gross-ness. it used to be that if they touched the bowl or plate where i was eating out of, id refuse to eat it. that didn't last long tho.
i don't think people consider me to be squeamish either. when there's a bug in the classroom that no one wants to touch or if they want to squash it, ill pick it up and take it outside.
im also the one who handles the dissection in science classes.
i however feel uncomfortable when theres completely gorry films or ones that involve physical pain to a certain degree. ive watched saw with my brother but i wouldnt choose to watch on my own.