• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Fellow introverts, which of the many uncomfortable situations is your least favourite

NYmac86

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The ever so open question of "tell me about yourself" in formal settings.

LETS JUST GET TO WORK!

mai345

MBTI Type
ISFJ
When I'm in a caffeteria I will deliberately choose a table where nobody is sitting so that I can eat quietly and happily. Myself, my food and my thoughts....
Then somebody joins me, and another, and another and with each addition I become more uncomfortable and anxious!:shock: The worst is when someone plonks themself down right across from you so that it is impossible to look up without looking into their face, OH, THE TORTURE OF IT ALL! I want to take my plate and run for the hills, but I don't. Instead I keep my head down and chew for dear life. By now I'm so nervous and aware of everyone at the table that I don't even taste the food and am entertaining the most hostile thoughts towards the poor human beings who are innocently eating their food.
I seem calm but it looks very much like this inside::steam:

i dont kno if anyone advised this.....but why dont u just stack a bunch of papers on the table around uso u create a bubble ....maybe a books, newspaper and just look at the paper while eating as if ur looking intently and reading and using alllll of them at the same time....then if someone asks "is this seat taken" (where ur papers are) just say " im sorry but i need the space" or something to that extent.

also maybe u shouldnt feel so uncomfortable with the people at your table seeing as it may be the only seats left open for them.
if its a choice of standing and eating or sitting with one or a few random people, id think most people would choose the table....unless its in the UK(?)

What... you mean actual strangers come and sit at your table? :blink:

Woah. I've gotta move to where you live. That would NEVER happen in the UK. You'd have say, 10 tables in a cafe, each with one person sitting at them. A new customer walks in and walks out again - "no room". :laugh:

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I figure in the bathroom it's pretty easy to tell who's introverted and who's extroverted. We introverts head to the stalls even when we're not going #2...

I don't know about that. I have no problems with that. The stall is too much work, what with having to pull your pants down and all. I've got better things to do.

People I know coming up unexpectedly throws me.

E.Thomas

MBTI Type
ISTJ
One of my least favorite situations is when anyone tries to make pointless conversation.

I dont know what small-talk is, I dont know how to "make" it, and if I dont have a vested interest in the conversation I would prefer that we all enjoy the silence as it so rightly deserves.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
What a sad truth.

not sad - good!

I was in the hairdressers today getting colour done which takes along time - out of the corner of my eye I spotted an old friend who is really introverted - she was reading -like me and I got the feeling she'd seen me but wasnt letting on. We both read and then when she was going to leave she popped over and said hello and wished me happy new year -lovely. How annoying would it have been and uncomfortable to sit and make small talk whilst somebody pokes about with your hair in a noisy salon :huh:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When I'm in a caffeteria I will deliberately choose a table where nobody is sitting so that I can eat quietly and happily. Myself, my food and my thoughts....
Then somebody joins me, and another, and another and with each addition I become more uncomfortable and anxious!:shock: The worst is when someone plonks themself down right across from you so that it is impossible to look up without looking into their face, OH, THE TORTURE OF IT ALL! I want to take my plate and run for the hills, but I don't. Instead I keep my head down and chew for dear life. By now I'm so nervous and aware of everyone at the table that I don't even taste the food and am entertaining the most hostile thoughts towards the poor human beings who are innocently eating their food.

Yes yes yes I totally get this. I read when I eat. ANYTIME I eat. It's the way I have always been but it's caused significant friction at points in my life. I don't want anyone sitting with me, certainly not just plopping down at my table and starting a conversation. The reading material helps that but even without I would not be comfortable with it.

I work in an office of 10. Most of them eat in the conference room every day. We get a paid hour for lunch so I take full advantage by leaving the office. I work in a mall so the choices are huge. I can shop if I wish, just walk..whatever. I like being by myself for lunch. I browse the bookstore, walk over to the food court and relax. The problem is that the people in my office think I am blowing them off and don't want to lunch with them, don't like them and blah blah blah. Which is partially true. It's mostly women and frankly, they have the same conversations every day and I don't want to hear it. Try as I might I can't impress upon them my real need for recharge time during lunch. Uggghhh.

I have told people to go away when they have attempted to sit with me although I'm always polite about it. Don't speak. Please..just..goooooo.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
weddings! THE HORROR of going to weddings without a date! It is VERY awkward and uncomfortable when you don't know anyone. In October, not only do I have to GO to a wedding, I have to be IN the wedding! Perhaps I will have to resort to bribery to get a date because Iam NOT going alone! I dread having to walk down the isle arm in arm with some married woman I don't even know! :cry:

(And yes, Im kidding about the bribery :cheese: )

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I actually prefer to go alone. Easier to disappear.

I hate when getting a haircut, the barber tries to talk to me. Just cut my hair please, and don't make a mistake. :(

Negative_

16igpxi.jpg

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

You should just eat quickly and if they talked to you, say you have to go somewhere, and then get up to leave. If they didn't talk to you, just eat quickly and get up to leave. You don't have to tolerate an uncomfortable situation if you don't want to.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz

LOL. This reminds me of walking around my campus with my 17" laptop. I get "That's a big laptop" SO much. I'm like, "You're not the first to say that. That's nice."

I went into the student lounge earlier today. It was filled with like 40 people. I sat in a chair alone, doing nothing, trying to observe, and I felt like I was going to go crazy from everything that was going on in that room. So. Many. People. Doing. Pointless. Stuff. And. Saying. Pointless. Stuff.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
" Going out with people to drink and dance when they abuse both arts for 200 "
Being polite when i feel quite the opposite

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
The ever so open question of "tell me about yourself" in formal settings.

LETS JUST GET TO WORK!

I agree! Oh my! Like being interviewed by multiple interviewers at the same time for a job. I'd rather do some informal chit-chat at a party or something...but not a formal setting.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Public speaking, of course: being in a situation where more than a handful of people are awaiting my "performance," whatever the performance may be.

I actually like public speaking, that is, if it's about something other than myself. Of course there is the initial nervousness, but it subsides once i get started. The worst, on the other hand, is when I'm in a small group of friends (read: close acquaintances) and they bombard me with a question about myself or start talking about me. Going off of what Hmm mentioned, I think it's because I assume I am being judged. That's either because I tend to notice weaknesses in other people or because one person I used to know in high school liked to relay every piece of gossip about me she could collect... sort of added to my paranoia. So, direct questions and staring freak me out.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I actually like public speaking, that is, if it's about something other than myself. Of course there is the initial nervousness, but it subsides once i get started. The worst, on the other hand, is when I'm in a small group of friends (read: close acquaintances) and they bombard me with a question about myself or start talking about me. Going off of what Hmm mentioned, I think it's because I assume I am being judged. That's either because I tend to notice weaknesses in other people or because one person I used to know in high school liked to relay every piece of gossip about me she could collect... sort of added to my paranoia. So, direct questions and staring freak me out.

This conforms to what I have seen in INTPs. Of course, INTPs are good at public speaking because they are in natural monologue mode 24/7.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, I've been thinking you might not be INTP. *thinks it*