• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Fellow introverts, which of the many uncomfortable situations is your least favourite

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I don't mind people sitting down to eat with me at something as large as a cafeteria table, especially if I've already finished the messy part of eating something like spaghetti or a drippy sandwich, and am then in the process instead of picking at a salad or whatever. Like people have said, it would be a little more annoying to have to push myself into someone else's space, but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if I needed it. It only becomes especially annoying if the person brings a passle of kids along with them that are fighting, crying and knocking over containers of liquid and condiments.

I am more annoyed when I'm standing and about to piss in the men's room urinals and someone ( say with a thick winter coat ) comes bustling along and stands next to me, sighing and maybe even burping to demonstrate how "relaxed" he is. If I'm already pissing it's no big deal, but if I'm not, it sometimes causes me to tense up just enough to prevent me from being able to get started. ( Unless I'm really bursting to go, maybe feeling no pain and full of beer, for example. ) I don't know why I sometimes do this tensing up.

This invasion of space is especially rankling if there are plenty of open spaces the person could have gone to instead. In a train compartment "long ride" situation I will actually even firmly and pointedly suggest the many other empty compartments available.

Trains are much more crowded now that the fuel prices are high, I've noticed, though.

I heard that people were likely to sit at your table in an English pub and start talking with you. This wouldn't be likely at an American bar ( of the sort I've mostly encountered ) unless it was jam packed. If I am out and about alone, I might enjoy someone coming along to pass the time, depending. I wasn't sure how to interpret this rumor about pubs with what was said earlier in the thread. When I go to a pub for a drink or two I am normally not averse to company.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
:yim_rolling_on_the_:yim_rolling_on_the_
I don't mind people sitting down to eat with me at something as large as a cafeteria table, especially if I've already finished the messy part of eating something like spaghetti or a drippy sandwich, and am then in the process of picking at a salad or something. Like people have said, it would be a little more annoying to have to push myself into someone else's space, but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if I needed it. It only becomes especially annoying if the person brings a passle of kids along with them that are fighting, crying and knocking shit over.

I am more annoyed when I'm standing and about to piss in the men's room urinals and someone ( say with a thick winter coat ) comes bustling along and stands next to me. If I'm already pissing it's no big deal, but if I'm not, it sometimes causes me to tense up just enough to prevent me from being able to get started. ( Unless I'm really bursting to go, maybe relaxed and full of beer, for example. ) I don't know why I sometimes do this tensing up.

I heard that people were likely to sit at your table in an English pub and start talking with you. This wouldn't be likely at an American bar ( of the sort I've mostly encountered ) unless it was jam packed. If I am out and about alone, I might enjoy someone coming along to pass the time, depending. I wasn't sure how to interpret this with what was said earlier in the thread.

Whar does a thick winter coat have to do with it?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
:yim_rolling_on_the_:yim_rolling_on_the_

Whar does a thick winter coat have to do with it?

It can add to the intrusiveness of their presence, brushing against one's elbows etc., which is more likely if it is a stout guy. Some people wear these absurd puffy "snowsuits" with long Dr. Who-like scarves etc. that they loosen up with a flourish, as though they are reminding you that they are just arrived from the Arctic circle or something.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
Aha! Male peeing is not a simple matter!

I've never heard other guys complain about this, and so I can only vouch for myself being annoyed to this extent. There was an internet joke for a while about men's room etiquette of this sort, though. ( Stay as far away from the guy already there as you can. )

There was a guy at our office building ( at a job I held years ago ) who had no sense of privacy whatsoever at the urinal. He would completely drop his drawers ( and underwear ) to the floor whilst standing there peeing, farting loudly and talking on the cellphone etc.. About as far as any of us other guys would go towards "complaining" about him to one another was to roll our eyes in his direction ( "get a load of Bozo over there" ) or raise an "eyebrow and a half" etc. as in "I don't know him" which was fortunately true in my case. A decade later I chuckled to see people on the show "The Office" who act like he probably did elsewhere.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There was a guy at our office building ( at a job I held years ago ) who had no sense of privacy whatsoever at the urinal. He would completely drop his drawers ( and underwear ) to the floor whilst standing there peeing, farting loudly and talking on the cellphone etc.
That's pretty F'd up, dude. LOL. We had a kid who did that in elementary school, and I thought it was weird even then.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I heart stalls....
I suppose there are a whole bunch of them in the women's bathroom. I've heard tell there are even ranks of nice couches and so forth, too, in the Ladies' Jakes. You could maybe even have a little party in there. :) A woman told me that she frequently has little chats with ladies sitting near her in neighbor stalls whilst attending to business. "I saw Jimmy McGiggins at the Chumwell picnic last week..." "You don't say." "Yes. He's put on a little weight now, but he's ....he's still our Jimmy, you know." * loud fart sounds, and then, without skipping a beat * "Was Sarah Harkness there ? I couldn't go."

We guys usually keep to ourselves while in there, but it's a stark and often dirty and smelly place, and there is no pretense made of getting it gussied up and outfitted for teatime.

That's pretty F'd up, dude. LOL. We had a kid who did that in elementary school, and I thought it was weird even then.
:)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I figure in the bathroom it's pretty easy to tell who's introverted and who's extroverted. We introverts head to the stalls even when we're not going #2...

D

Dali

Yeah, I figure in the bathroom it's pretty easy to tell who's introverted and who's extroverted. We introverts head to the stalls even when we're not going #2...

Not really; I know several Is that have no qualms about using the urinals.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose there are a whole bunch of them in the women's bathroom. I've heard tell there are even ranks of nice couches and so forth, too, in the Ladies' Jakes. You could maybe even have a little party in there. :) A woman told me that she frequently has little chats with ladies sitting near her in neighbor stalls whilst attending to business. "I saw Jimmy McGiggins at the Chumwell picnic last week..." "You don't say." "Yes. He's put on a little weight now, but he's ....he's still our Jimmy, you know." * loud fart sounds, and then, without skipping a beat * "Was Sarah Harkness there ? I couldn't go."

^ it's all true.

Fascinating. I'm thinking we need a poll for this. :nerd:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fascinating. I'm thinking we need a poll for this. :nerd:
Well, it looks more like no extroverts go to the stalls, but some introverts go to the stalls. Which kind of just leaves us back where we started.