• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs, what is your attitude toward authority?

DreamBeliever

How do you guys feel about authority? Are you generally compliant? Do you ever go against authority? When or for what reason? Do you usually respect authority figures?

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Typically, yes. It's pretty easy to be compliant with authority figures. I don't like to make waves. I find that things usually go more smoothly if you just 'go with the flow' so to speak. I may not necessarily respect them, that's harder to earn. But I do an excellent job of faking it, because it makes life easier.

I had a manager who was pretty bitchy and mean with most people. She had a very, 'I'm the head bitch and I want everyone to know it' kind of complex. I had a few coworkers who had 'issues' with authority, and they would clash with her all the time. I think some view it as cowardice to swallow your pride and acquiesce to someone like that. They have a hard time letting her 'win' so to speak. I guess I look at it more like, "If you can't just smile, nod, and say 'sure thing boss', your ego might be as bad as hers." I don't have to agree with her management style to just go with it. And ultimately, pissing someone off who is higher in the food chain than you isn't really going to do you any favors in the long run.

That hold true as long as the authority figure's requests are reasonable and they're not downright abusive/disrespectful. But I find that when you're compliant with those kinds of people, they tend to be really fond of you and nicer to you than they are with the ones who are more pig-headed.

If it's an authority figure that I really do respect? I'll work my ass off for them (if it's a manager). I'll go out of my way for them. I'll give 120%, because I admire effective leaders.

I'm friendly and polite to police officers and such, even when I'm real mad because they just pulled me over, because it's usually well-deserved. (Patches has a lead-foot.)

It's very situational, of course. But the above holds true for most cases.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I respect authority as long as that authority respects me and others. I'm generally a very agreeable person and I don't want any trouble, so I just naturally tend to follow authority without thinking about it. I could never, however, respect authority (or anyone for that matter) who does not show others any respect. Even in those situations, I don't really say anything to them or really go AGAINST them... I'm not really a conflict person. But I wouldn't respect them and I'd make sure everyone else knew why.

There are few things I like more (in a work environment) than getting along with the authority. Being friendly with them. Not for benefits or whatever, but just because I need to know they like me or it's hard for me to get anything done due to anxiety. I don't mind being micro-managed as long as they're sweet about it. Also, I was definitely the straight-A teacher's pet in school, and don't understand why people think that's a bad thing. Like, one time I forgot to bring a finished assignment to class and the teacher liked me so she said I could turn it in later. Awesome. Same teacher also let me work on my own instead of doing group projects (groups ALWAYS restrict me and she knew I'd do a perfectly fine--even BETTER--job on my own).

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I prefer that I be the authority. I don't mind authority if the policies and instructions are fair and logical. It'd suck if an irrational person were in charge.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I prefer there is authority and structure. Bad authority is better than no authority in most cases.

I do go against authority in cases where authority is plain wrong and consequences of not going against authority are bad. Or if authority is being practiced only because of authority. Respect the authority, with it comes great responsibility.

I do not want to go against authority publiclity, rather educate the person in authorative position behind closed door not to undermine their (or position's) authority.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=24321]DreamBeliever[/MENTION]

? How does one have an opinion on authority in general? An entirely democratic society would be nonfunctional. Authority is necessary for us to function.

But as far as having an opinion on it? Which authorities are we talking about here? Parents? Law enforcement? Professors? The president? I have different opinions on different authorities. :shrug:

If we're being insanely general, I'm happy with authorities that don't impose on me and that give me the time of day when I have an opinion. Of course, the reality of it is far more complicated

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My attitude toward authority is that I like to be the authority. As long as that is the case my attitude is 100% positive. :D

DreamBeliever

My personal opinion is that I hate authority. I hate be controlled, told what to do, or people having power over me. They're basically just a nuisance. I want to be free to do what what I want, how I want. I want to be able to make my own decisions & not have them dictated for me. Usually people in those positions are either power hungry, control freaks, or think they're smarter because they're older (which is horribly wrong). There's no way I would let rules be the guiding force in my life. Just wanted to know what your guys' opinions were, though.

DreamBeliever

[MENTION=24321]DreamBeliever[/MENTION]

? How does one have an opinion on authority in general? An entirely democratic society would be nonfunctional. Authority is necessary for us to function.

But as far as having an opinion on it? Which authorities are we talking about here? Parents? Law enforcement? Professors? The president? I have different opinions on different authorities. :shrug:

If we're being insanely general, I'm happy with authorities that don't impose on me and that give me the time of day when I have an opinion. Of course, the reality of it is far more complicated

Well, I definitely have a general opinion. Any & all of the above, I'd say.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I respect authority. If there is no respect for authority then there is chaos. I often find myself in a dilemma considering I am a right wing authoritarian when I submit to obey left wing authority figures such as professors and teachers. I may vehemently disagree with their beliefs but I do need to obey them. The only reason I would disobey authority is if it was for climbing the ladder and I prefer climbing the ladder by obeying the rules. Is chaos a pit or a ladder? I also am conflicted with my parents who have opposing political views to mine and because they are my parents I sometimes challenge their authority. Perhaps, I am a hypocrite for doing this, perhaps not. Though a liberal in an authority position is an oxymoron. The establishment is supposed to be conservative while subversives are liberal.

stone

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
I believe that respect is earned and not given based on a position or uniform: I have personally seen far too many dirty/bad cops to not be wary of them. Moreover, I have and will break laws if I am able to justify doing so to myself or just don't believe in the specific law.

DreamBeliever

I believe that respect is earned and not given based on a position or uniform: I have personally seen far too many dirty/bad cops to not be wary of them. Moreover, I have and will break laws if I am able to justify doing so to myself or just don't believe in the specific law.
This is exactly how I feel too. People throw around the word respect too much, I think, too. I mean, how could I respect someone unless they respect me & prove to me that they deserve respect?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not for authority as much as I'm for a peaceful environment. I see all people as equal, so a person of authority should lead as one among equals. I expect them to demonstrate fairness, honesty, integrity, and compassion. I have no respect for an authority figure that abuses their power.

PatriciaTheArtist

MBTI Type
Ixfj
I respect authority whose leadership skills and integrity merit respect. So do most of the SJ types I know. Meaning, the presumption that SJ types respect ALL (or even most) authority is false. Nor am I compliant to authority! However, I DO strongly prefer to get things done well and I do not expect authority to be perfect for me to be a valuable team member.

cameo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[New here, so I guess I should just jump right in?]

My default is to respect authority, I suppose, but I am pretty vigilant about gauging authority figures in terms of whether they are just, competent, etc. To me it is absolutely paramount that authority figures embody those types of values. If my boss is unfair in some way, my respect for them is likely to wane; if my boss isn't as smart as I am, I can still manage to be respectful but I tend to find it really annoying. Even if I have a boss who is shitty (that is, does not live up to these sorts of standards) I am not really apt to make waves, but I haven't really encountered that [yet] so it's hard for me to say what I might actually do. I think this is pretty emblematic of being an ISTJ because while the hierarchy of authority is important, the most important things, in my view, are efficiency, competency, etc. and so an individual authority figure can fail to promote those things and thus lose our/my respect. Interesting topic, because the whole "duty fulfiller" stereotype is so pervasive on the MBTI internet community, it seems.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you guys feel about authority?
:shrug: It exists. It's a natural and necessary part of life and of society. Someone competent needs to wield it if things are going to run smoothly.

Are you generally compliant?
It depends. Compliance to authority is one of my defaults, especially when it is the right thing to do, and easier/better than the alternative. But another of my defaults is to get a good feel for every new social system and structure that I encounter, including how it relates to power dynamics, and seeing 1) if there's anything that I need to change behind the scenes, 2) if there's a power vacuum that I need to fill, and 3) if those in authority are incompetent enough that I need to challenge them directly.

Do you ever go against authority? When or for what reason?
Yes, when it needs to be done, and when I am able to do it with minimal risk (or when the risk is worth it).

Do you usually respect authority figures?
This is also one of my defaults, so yeah.

Beshr Al Bakri

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Basically yes, we respect authority, rules, government, because their existence helps the society to keep fair, equal, and stable. (Example: I never forget putting the seat belt when I enter the car even when the speed is still under 40 in a service road, because the law is law)
However, when we feel that Authority is not doing well, and its main purpose became not to help the society, we will the first who notice that and try to make changes.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it is best to follow rules / authority as a sign of respect. When someone breaks the rules and it causes problems for other people I would be against it, but if the person was having fun and there was no harm done to anyone else then its okay.

Its not something i pay a lot of attention to though, its just one of the many things that seems like common sense to me.

Sil

This is a test.
How do you guys feel about authority? Are you generally compliant? Do you ever go against authority? When or for what reason? Do you usually respect authority figures?

1. It depends on what kind of aauthority and the contezf.
2. SAO
3. Yes. If I either think the person is weak and easy to walk over, or if I am more interested in doing things my way.
4. It depends.