• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs - How productive are you? What are some of the methods you use to be productive?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm so terribly unproductive that I give SJs a bad name. Please help me!

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Don't worry, I am too!

It's a common theme to my thoughts though as to how to motivate myself to be more productive.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
And does that ever work?

Slightly. I end up spending a few minutes doing something productive, then procrastinating, then another few minutes doing something productive... mostly procrastination though. I'm hoping it will get better with time and practice.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm only productive when I have to be. Like when I went to school, I was a straight-A student. Not because I studied or tried hard or anything, I just followed directions. I'm not so much productive when it comes to less important things. However, how I stay productive when it IS important is just through sheer willpower... which probably isn't a very helpful answer considering your struggle! I get things done are early as possible. No procrastinating. You get assigned an essay? Go home. Write it. Then you don't have to think about it ever again and you can move on to doing something fun. Basically, the motivation to not have that obligation hanging over me anymore is what drives me to get things done.

Bnova

MBTI Type
IXTX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
1. visualize a clear goal
2. think of ways to achieve it

here's some things i work on when I'm not doing school work or anything I work on the triangle critical thinking,creativity and curiosity

for critical thinking i use the pomodoro technique with a chess puzzle
creativity i let my imagination run wild and create mental stories when the story hits my satisfactory curiosity point I write the story down and continue building on that story,judging various perspectives on the subject
for curiosity I just take MOOC's like complexity and uncertainty on future learn though i suspect that particular MOOC is gone but i just take MOOCs that look interesting to me

hope that helped

heres another way to build up on productivity

just grind productivity methods into your work,the more you grind the more you'll become aware of all the productivity you can accomplish----note that the main word is "aware"= awareness of productivity this will definitely help:)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
When I'm doing laundry by hand and I find myself wanting to quit, I say to myself: Just one more sock, you can do one more sock! I usually end up doing at least 4 more socks.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
For a long time, I would get in these super ambitious moods, where I would have 500 things I wanted to do and didn't have the time to do all them. But then a few days later, I would end up sitting on my ass bored with nothing to do, and those ambitions wouldn't even cross my mind. I would sit around and accomplish nothing for hours, all while feeling bored.

I started writing everything down that I wanted to accomplish whenever I got into the ambitious moods. Whether it was short term goals (like cleaning, yardwork that I wanted to do, a craft project or the like, little things I always meant to fix around the house but never seem to do), or more long-term goals (exercise 3x times a week, study a language a few times a week). Then, whenever I got bored and ended up sitting around watching TV or browsing the internet... I looked at the list of all the things that I really wanted to accomplish. And I picked one.

I started getting so much more done. I put off less things.

I ended up with a huge whiteboard that looks like one of those word clouds (some words big, some small, in no discernible pattern) where the bigger things were more important to me. I erase things as I complete them, and I add new things constantly. Some items still get procrastinated on and stay on the list for a long time... But things are constantly getting done. It's fulfilling to erase something from the board. The reminders help.

Downtime is still good. Sometimes I just want to chill out and veg, and that's ok. But sometimes I would sit around and be discontent with just sitting around... but wouldn't be able to think of anything to do. It helps with that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
When I'm doing laundry by hand and I find myself wanting to quit, I say to myself: Just one more sock, you can do one more sock! I usually end up doing at least 4 more socks.

Yeah I do this with push-ups.

Not that I often do push-ups.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm so terribly unproductive that I give SJs a bad name. Please help me!

I'm not always efficient but I can be pretty productive. I get a deep sense of accomplishment from getting things done and achieving things. I enjoy it.

Not sure how one can change that if they don't feel that way but it makes a big difference for me if it's something I'm passionate about or if I'm somehow competing and trying to win.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Just did horrendously shitty on an exam this afternoon because I was too much of a lazy fuck to study. I did freaking excellent on the first two exams because I actually put in effort. They're always straightforward, but they have an assload of information to know. The sad thing is, the subject actually interests me. I don't know how far I have to go to ever be motivated to do anything. Even when I like the subject, I don't want to work at it.

In many ways, Si-valuers are significantly "lazier" than Se-valuers.

Socionics Dichotomies: R3t2
Hmm...interesting. I don't know much about the Reinin dichotomies or how they were defined, but I definitely seem to be more judicious. Well, save for #4...when I have shit to do I do it all at once at the last minute.

[MENTION=10780]Patches[/MENTION] - Seems like quite the useful technique. Unfortunately, I'm never just "bored" around the house unless I've had a long break off school or something. I'm perfectly content to sit on my ass for hours and hours on end. :/ But this sounds very useful for the summer when I will have less classes!

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm most effective when working for someone else. When there are outside expectations and deadlines to meet, I work the hardest. If I'm working for myself, I need to do the effor to fabricate some external pressure on myself.

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am quite productive at work. I can sit down and concentrate at the task at hand, but that's more because I sit in a hotdesking environment, and it feels like it would be obvious (even if it may not be, I don't know) if I wasn't doing work. But that being said, my work is also intellectually challenging enough to constantly pique my interest.

stone

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Take some advice from Mark Twain- 1) take large unpalatable tasks and break them down into small manageable ones. Doing this can make these tasks less daunting. 2) Do one thing you don't want to do each day. 3)Permit indulgences as reward for doing so, a small treat for a job well done. 4) Mind your company. Take care to avoid surrounding yourself with negativity: it can be difficult to overcome your own doubts when they are being added to by others.