• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] ESFJ Manipulation

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
So I've recently read stuff on some ESFJs being possibly manipulative at times, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and also if manipulation by an ESFJ would be easy to catch on to or be really subtle that you wouldn't pick up on it. Plus what would it look like if an ESFJ was trying to manipulate a person?

robowolf

MBTI Type
FREE
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course it's subtle, otherwise it wouldn't be very successful. I've never dealt with an ESFJ manipulator but I think this is how it would work:

- being in touch with the emotions of those around them, they know what weaknesses to exploit.

- some Fe users like to please people. Pleasing people often involves faking feelings, and being able to do so is a minimum requirement to be a good manipulator.

- some people (don't know if it's type related) feel like everyone should do what they want them to do. FJs are ethical types and I've noticed some of them have this ability of turning *everything* into a moral matter. An unhealthy ESFJ might use it to get people to do what they want.

I guess it would look like "normal" emotional blackmail, and the manipulator may not even be aware that he is one.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So I've recently read stuff on some ESFJs being possibly manipulative at times, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this and also if manipulation by an ESFJ would be easy to catch on to or be really subtle that you wouldn't pick up on it. Plus what would it look like if an ESFJ was trying to manipulate a person?

Cue all the IxxP forum members telling stories about their mothers.... Ready, set, GO!

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Cue all the IxxP forum members telling stories about their mothers.... Ready, set, GO!

Damn, this seems to be common as heck then. My questions are definitely regarding my mum :p

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Personally, I've never found ESFJs that manipulative. I've not really had a problem with them. :shrug:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

my mom is a manipulative ENFP thank you very much!

trey4l

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Oh no, I most definitely have experienced this as well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes and the problem is i'm like oh whatever it's no big deal but then later after it's built i call the person out on it and turn it around so it's my fault, and I'm like no and i'll state in what way it's my fault but say but you did x i did not make you do x and she gets angry i get angry. The thing is it's fine most of the time because it's like whatever i don't care but dealing with it for a week, it wears on you. so i've decided its unlikely i'm gonna spend longer than 3 days at a time with her. I don't mind doing stuff, i'm actually pretty laid back most of the time. I'm very whatever you want to do is fine. but i do have my limits. it's like she can't see that maybe part of the issue is her, i know i have fault in such situations but i'm not 100% responsible nor is she. I don't want her to say oh it's all my fault i want her to accept that part of it is.

ankadams

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My ESFJ coworker is incredibly manipulative and dishonest and brags about it. Emotionally blackmailing hundreds of dollars from her ex but she thinks it's ok because it's for her son's 2nd birthday. Lies to coworker but thinks it's ok because he would have forgotten anyway.

On the flip side, I have another ESFJ coworker who isn't manipulative at all and is pretty much a big teddy bear. :shrug:

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd imagine the only thing they can manipulate is the cookie dough. Cause they can make so much food for me, fam. :O