• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Common ISTJ issues

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’ve have gotten along well with them however their utilitarian approach occasionally irks me.

• Too private. Regardless of how long people have known them and close they are, it’ll take many Fi counselling sessions to get to the core of their problems. While they love and appreciate that someone recognises how they feel, their awareness of the underlying problem (or thought patterns) is limited and any input is dismissed quickly (although I realise this because they’re TJ and don’t spend time introspecting).
  • Too others focused (this is only where pragmatism is necessary, otherwise they'll tend to themselves first), more than once I’ve seen people take advantage of their practical and charitable nature. Your duty is your duty, if no one else does it; your not obliged to do it.
  • Too literal. Taking words at face value.
  • Paranoia. Heightened in e6 ISTJs.
  • Inability to read others so they project and they're rarely correct. They can be judgmental, too.
  • Dismissal of opinions and thoughts before complete understanding of the issue.
  • Rigidity, tradition, routine.

I'll entertain this idea. I think it's because most ISTJs are e6 => e6 is known for their anxiety => anxiety is a common cause of back pain.
Are they as others-focused as ISFJ?

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve have gotten along well with them however their utilitarian approach occasionally irks me.

• Too private. Regardless of how long people have known them and close they are, it’ll take many Fi counselling sessions to get to the core of their problems. While they love and appreciate that someone recognises how they feel, their awareness of the underlying problem (or thought patterns) is limited and any input is dismissed quickly (although I realise this because they’re TJ and don’t spend time introspecting).
  • Too others focused (this is only where pragmatism is necessary, otherwise they'll tend to themselves first), more than once I’ve seen people take advantage of their practical and charitable nature. Your duty is your duty, if no one else does it; your not obliged to do it.
  • Too literal. Taking words at face value.
  • Paranoia. Heightened in e6 ISTJs.
  • Inability to read others so they project and they're rarely correct. They can be judgmental, too.
  • Dismissal of opinions and thoughts before complete understanding of the issue.
  • Rigidity, tradition, routine.

I'll entertain this idea. I think it's because most ISTJs are e6 => e6 is known for their anxiety => anxiety is a common cause of back pain.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This should be stickied like the other issue threads.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
An inclination to look for reasons to say "no" rather than ways to say "yes". Their naysaying (when they indulge in it) seems less focused on improving the idea at hand than at simply shooting it down. My current supervisor is a good example of this.

Hahaha! :D This is one of my great "strengths." I don't really consider it an issue, except other people seem to dislike it...especially dates and girlfriends. :sorry:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not being able to talk to people very well, largely from not having anything to say.
I agree with this one the most. I always wonder, "Why would anyone care about that?" before I say something, which filters down to mostly not commenting. I could ramble on at length about crap that interests me, but creative writing I have trouble with. It's funny, until I first got into MBTI, I didn't notice that.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't know if this is an ISTJ issue, or my issue, but despite being obsessed with MBTI, I'm terrible at typing people. I just can't seem to grasp the basics of what type is and what functions are and I just speculate on random scraps of information. I don't know how other people manage to get good at it, if they read books on it or they just understand people and abstract concepts better or what. Maybe I haven't properly reflected on it. Maybe I lack this kind of reflective ability, or maybe it's just not something I ever learned. So why do I spend so much time on something I suck at, rather than developing the things that I'm good at?

Also this isn't just about MBTI here. It's anything I become obsessed with. It's like, I don't really understand what I'm thinking about, I just think around in circles on the surface elements that don't really apply to how the thing works in general. I could spend 10,000 hours on it, but I won't be anything more than an amateur because I'm not looking at it in the right way. I'm lazy, and my laziness shows when I approach these things.

It's like, I don't really know what it means to learn something. Idk.

Raffaella

bon vivant

... I had to think about this for a while, so I may backtrack to explain my point, but as I specified, in practical matters, they appear others focused because they take on roles and responsibilities that aren't applied to them. My experience with ISFJs is that they're not others focused so much for the benefit of the other person, just that, at times, they feel obliged to help out (to maintain social order). With ISTJs, it's to keep practical orders in check. So they're both focused on order but in different realms.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I don't know if this is an ISTJ issue, or my issue, but despite being obsessed with MBTI, I'm terrible at typing people. I just can't seem to grasp the basics of what type is and what functions are and I just speculate on random scraps of information. I don't know how other people manage to get good at it, if they read books on it or they just understand people and abstract concepts better or what. Maybe I haven't properly reflected on it. Maybe I lack this kind of reflective ability, or maybe it's just not something I ever learned. So why do I spend so much time on something I suck at, rather than developing the things that I'm good at?

Do you find you can read people well in general? Or perhaps I should ask, do you enjoy trying to understand people?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Do you find you can read people well in general? Or perhaps I should ask, do you enjoy trying to understand people?

I can't read people well, no. I don't think I ever tried to understand people before I learned about MBTI. I liked to classify things though.

Raffaella

bon vivant
I can't read people well, no. I don't think I ever tried to understand people before I learned about MBTI. I liked to classify things though.

Haha, so Si and Te.

I think two things come into play here. First that, being ISTJ, you'll struggle to read people due to the fact that Fi and Ne are your weaker functions which means STJs are at a disadvantage and need to apply more effort in this field. Second, even if you're reasonably competent at reading people, understanding and applying typology effectively requires a lot of time. Few people can determine others' type with precision and even then, they've been at it for years and they've read all the typology books and websites and keep themselves updated.

From playing around with typology for roughly two years now (my psychological types copy is still in mint condition), I can tell you that most people have a good but basic understanding of typology (in comparison to the pounds of literature out there). I think, for now, you should introspect more (strengthen the Fi muscle) and, in the long run, it'll help you apply typology better.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]
Would you "sticky" this thread?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being bothered by the fact that there are two common ISTJ issues threads.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, but a real ISTJ issue is someone asking an extremely vague question (bonus points if it's a teacher, and it's a test), and you just bs your way through it and hope your answer made sense.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, but a real ISTJ issue is someone asking an extremely vague question (bonus points if it's a teacher, and it's a test), and you just bs your way through it and hope your answer made sense.

I detest that, but usually do alright since I've seen shit before and can pull sonething out of my long term memory.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
More of a TJ thing, but I hate that my papers tend to he shorter than others because I'm so concise.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate self-righteous people who turn every topic into something about them.

I also hate people who don't take responsibility for what they do.

Nix Tempesedo

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Being annoyed when people completely ignore or twist the rules of a typing system just because they want to be a 'cool' type to satisfy their own ego, and Fi means that you can't call them out on it until conditions are optimal, to do so at relatively little to no risk to your own reputation on the platform.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have many issues with the world --- the dirty floors at local businesses, the gum on the sidewalk, dog crap on lawns and elsewhere, body odor in the air, littering on the streets, cats running loose on the street, the squeeky wheel on the shopping cart, slow walkers, rotten raspberries on sale, complete morons getting elected and the idiots who vote for them, shoppers who buy about 200 items at Costco, coughing kids at the movie theatre, etc.

I don't know if other ISTJs are similarly affected by the inconsiderate and stupid actions of others.

I'm older now and those bug me too.