• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs & Feelings

burkeus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTP
what I really really want to know is when there is a conflict of interest between the heart (for lack of a better word) and the brain... why does the brain ALWAYS win?

With regards to human interaction I will let thinking override feeling purely to avoid being vulnarable or possibly making a fool of myself. Potentially expressed emotions(that heaven forbid! could possibly bring softness to the situation) gets suppressed by very strong thinking/rationalization of why it would be stupid to express these emotions.

bbites

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I usually plan things. On the rare occassion I let my feelings override my plan I experience guilt afterward. And then I feel I have to go back to the beginning of the plan.

I apologize if this isn't the sort of response you were looking for.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
No, i understand that makes sense...
so is it safe to say that ISTJ's tend to feel guilty so they try not to feel that way?

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Guilty feelings are a major hook for my ISTJ.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was just about to say that I feel guilt very strongly. Maybe it's Fi, inward-pointing emotion?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It would be nice if someone could explain this.
Explain what? Keep in mind that I may just be talking "out of my rear".

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Explain what? Keep in mind that I may just be talking "out of my rear".

No, you're 'rear's' doing just fine....

I was talking about ISTJ's guilt issues. It seems like a few of us agree on this.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i truthfully wish there were more sensors on mbtic, im enjoying this much more then half that crap on the intuitive boards lol.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
i truthfully wish there were more sensors on mbtic, im enjoying this much more then half that crap on the intuitive boards lol.

Ah, really? That's nice to hear. Something other than N snobbery for a change.
(yes, I know, not every N's a snob)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

If you want to know I also think that forum needs more sensors to become what it should be.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Sensing is where it's at.

*digs nose into the carpet and continues sniffing about the room*

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

:yes:

Also, ISTJ's seem to have very strong feelings to my perception. They're just not big on expressing them at every chance they can like other types do.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My brother is an ISTJ. We joke about how between the 2 of us we have all our bases covered, seeing as we cover all 8 possible MBTI letters.

To me, it seems he doesn't understand his feelings and that they get in the way of his logic on the rare occasion that his soul decides to jump into his decision making process. I'm sure if he could live in a world without feelings, he'd be a lot more comfortable there. The flipside to this is that he has very definite emotions that he calls upon whenever he's in a very comfortable situation like talking with his closest friends or to me (I kind-of acted as a pseudotherapist for him during our younger years I guess, maybe just because I was the only person close enough to him that was willing to listen), so I can see his emotional gears turn underneath all the brainwork. Comprehending him still confuses me to a degree, though.

I think he knows that feelings can sometimes take priority and have a heavier influence on how you should act as long as its a feeling-related event taking place (as in relationships, he's going to delve into his heart and try to see how he really feels and explain it to himself with logic internally to help him better enforce his epiphanies when the time comes for emotional debate)

I hope most of that made sense.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Very interesting! My husband is ISTJ. After 16 years of marriage, only now am I beginning to understand him.

He definitely thinks through any decision he makes (and re-thinks, and scrutinizes...)

It takes him several months to decide on a car. He will research magazines, internet, in person, etc. He will ultimately know more about a vehicle than the salesperson does. Boy, does he beat himself up if every step isn't planned and executed very precisely.

Ive seen this in my ISTJ bf too.
He would rather maximize, or inspect everything before making a decision.
He talks a lot about what he may, or may not buy, and things.
Like motor cycles, and guns, and just things he wants. He's been wanting to go on a trip for years but hasn't done so yet because he's a perfectionist.

I'm wondering if he has Obsessive Compulsive personality disorder... lol

He is certainly preoccupied with details of all the things in this damn world.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm wondering if he has Obsessive Compulsive personality disorder... lol

No seriously though, does this thing about thinking and scrutinizing and re-checking ever become a hinderance to the ISTJ or is just to other people that it becomes a problem.

Like with the person that said their husband has been going on a trip for years and hasn't gone yet...I would think you decide it you want to go, plan for it, then go. All this detailing just gets in the way.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No seriously though, does this thing about thinking and scrutinizing and re-checking ever become a hinderance to the ISTJ or is just to other people that it becomes a problem?

Like with the person that said their husband has been going on a trip for years and hasn't gone yet...I would think you decide it you want to go, plan for it, then go. All this detailing just gets in the way.
Yes, it can be a hindrance at times, it really can. :( Don't know how to explain it, but it follows the train of thought that "as long as I can sort this all out, and figure out every detail, I can fix everything in the end". I even have little nervous habits (comparable to biting fingernails) that seemed to be based on this principle, somehow.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
Yes, it can be a hindrance at times, it really can. :( Don't know how to explain it, but it follows the train of thought that "as long as I can sort this all out, and figure out every detail, I can fix everything in the end". I even have little nervous habits (comparable to biting fingernails) that seemed to be based on this principle, somehow.

Total OCD!
I can relate to this though. I tend to obsess about relationships. Perhaps the ISTJs obsess about something else. I think we all be better people on Zoloft:violin::violin:!

Kind of a sweeping generalization but who knows.

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
I can't consider the feelings of someone else when I make a decision. I don't consider myself a cold-hearted so-and-so (although others do); it's simply a matter of expediency. Since I have no sense of how another human being internalizes anything (each will react according to his or her own sense of values and experiences) attempting to factor that into a decision seems kind of counter-productive.

With regard to my own feelings, I express them; but I also understand why I feel happy, sad, etc. As an example, one of the things that amuses me about people is when they drive. People who speed up to pass me and then slam on the brakes to stop at the light that I know is going to turn red always gets a wry smile from me. The smile is not based on what theydid (or didn't do); it's the feeling of wondering if they learned something from the experience and realizing they probably didn't. They are then classified as potential hazards and the feeling passes.
You sound pretty detached and cynical.
lol