• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Art/Creativity?

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I was wondering if you SJ are actually creative or artistic (for ESTJs, maybe a well developed Ne for example, I don't know). I'm really curious!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not an SJ, but I will say that Si is an amazingly useful function in the world of classical music. I think that many of my colleagues are Si-doms or Si-aux.

LanaBanana

MBTI Type
XXFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not an SJ, but I will say that Si is an amazingly useful function in the world of classical music. I think that many of my colleagues are Si-doms or Si-aux.

Very interesting, thank you!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes ma'am. Si/Ne, in my experience, help us know the "rules" before we decide which ones to bend/break.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In some respects. I think I'm skilled with music, and I think Si provides a good pool to draw from there. And not just facts and data, of course, but "tones" of what music should sound like, and how to express a feeling through music. However, improvisation took a while to improve, and is still lagging behind other areas of skill for me.

I think Si helps in picking out "just the right note/tone/word/phrase/stroke" in art that helps us identify those things and bring them to our eyes and ears. I do it even when I'm writing sentences or talking to people, too. (unless I'm feeling lax about it)

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
In the 4th grade, I made an egg person out of an empty egg shell, orange yarn, some pipe cleaners for limbs and glued-on eyes. I'm afraid that was the height of my creativity. Wait, I also remember inventing a really addictive checkers type game using some marbles and some plastic candy sheet with holes in it, but that got destroyed.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Art and creativity does not always go hand in hand. Take Mona Lisa for an example. There's no denying it is clearly a piece of art. But is it creative? What's creative about it? It is a masterwork, no doubt about it, but it is still just a portrait of a woman (okay, there are numerous theories what it actually is).

And this is what I think creativity is:
LEGO WALLS
1_lego-wall.jpg

I've been reading to Whack on the Side of the Head, it's a book about how can we be more creative (or actually why aren't we more creative). It has taught me that doing things efficiently and doing things creatively are the two opposing forces, and us ISTJs usually prefer the efficient way. We too can be creative, if we just remember to switch off from auto-piloting towards efficiency.

As for myself, I'd have little praticed playing piano, and I'd like to be better at it. Just haven't found the time and space for it yet (the instrument is somewhere in the back of the storage room).

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Perfectionism and revisionism are probably the biggest things blocking my creativity. At times I have huge flows of ideas and concepts for stories and artwork, but little time or skill to carry them out, so I try to make note of them and carry on with normal life.

RiftsWRX

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I'm an ESFJ.

My whole family is very musical. I'm a Coronet, Trumpet, Piano and French Horn player.

Plus my modern gift, from adolescence to present is photography. Decades of photography.

It works for me.. because I realize I struggle with the genesis of the idea... but if you give me the idea, I'll run with it.

In photography, you are the one coming up with the idea. I simply personify it through my own subjective filter.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm an ISTJ and have absolutely no artistic or musical ability at all...but I do enjoy creative writing.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
At the expense of sounding too modest ;) I think I'm a descent portrait artist and have dabbled in some abstract art. I think Si makes me really sensitive to little details to create the desired effect I am looking for. I enjoy trying to capture the "essence" of the person or object I'm drawing or painting.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I recently took up drumming and I've sorta taken off with it. I can't believe it took me so long to start.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've been told my drawings look like something out of Jung's Red Book. I have Jung's Red Book, but I stillll haven't looked through it.

I'm good with music and like to make up calming melodies on the spot, usually using specific forms for the melody. I write a bit of my own music, but I can't help but feel that a lot of what I make is modifications on aesthetics I've enjoyed from elsewhere. Though, some of the stuff I play does sound very unique and unlike anything else I've heard.

I write poetry and short philosophical writings, which are often quite imaginative, at least imo. I've been told I write well for an ISTJ :p

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Nope, not really. I don't really have much of a creative bone in my body. I'm taking beginning piano as an elective next semester though. So, we'll see how that goes! I did two years of choir in high school, but I was never very good at it.

Raffaella

bon vivant
My friend is an ISTJ and gifted in visual arts. I find she's quite balanced in her cognitive functions and is not rigid or insensitive. Her work is not abstract, though but there's an airy feeling to it.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
The only two types Jung called out for creativity are Si and Ni types.

PSA brought to you by sunyata.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It's cliche to say it, but anyone can create art.

The stereotype of the SJ run world in no way diminishes the chance of individual expression.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No. Creativity is almost assuredly the domain of intuitive types, specifically Ne ones, and any SJ claiming capability in this skill are either mistyped or severely overestimating themselves. I know this for 100% fact actually because I'm an ISTJ and this is what we do best.
Manage the Fax.

Si is like a barrier to these things, you see. As soon as anything even remotely resembling an artistic way self-expression begins to form in the psyche, Si, being in front of Ne, slaps it down and asks very sternly "why are you entertaining such impractical ideas? What are you? A child?".

As an ISTJ, I have many years of my own experiences to back up the above claims. My extensive Si memory can recall a few specific and detailed occassions if you are interested in hearing them.

Cygnus

I don't know about creativity, but OP has no analytical faculties.

Reason: using Keirsey temperaments.