• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] How ISTJ am I?

brookeedesiree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am always typed as ISTJ by tests, which is fairly accurate, but I sometimes wonder what others would say I am. From this list of qualities, what would you type me as?

I see emotions as weaknesses, but although I wouldn't care to admit it, I do feel very much. This being said though, I strongly dislike talking about my emotions. (bleckk)
I don't like people who "think with their heart."
I can be quite insensitive at times.
I am very perceptive of others, and can often figure people out relatively quickly...
I have very little control of my emotions.
I absolutely hate crying, especially in front of people, as I see it as a submission to emotion, and therefore a weakness. However, I have a tendency to be overwhelmed very easily, and am prone to crying (although I hate myself for it.)
I am very black-and-white when it comes to life. Things are good or bad, yes or no, true or false.
I can't stand having people behind me, whether it be in line, in a room, in class, etc. (Is this even personality related?)
I am energized by being with people initially, but after a while I am completely drained.
I am painfully shy around people I am not comfortable with, to the extent that I won't even move. However, if I am with people I am comfortable with, I am very outgoing.
I am a thrill-seeker, but also I am very pre-occupied with "the rules."
I despise change with a passion. In fact, I moved to a new place and it has taken me three years to start feeling comfortable....
I am the kind of person who eats breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, and dinner at 5:30, whether I am hungry or not. Those are the times designated for eating, right? Also I like to have the same exact thing for breakfast every day.
I get bored very easily.
I love learning about other people, their lives, and their problems.
I am very anxiety-prone.
I have no problem being alone, but if I am alone for extended periods of time, I get quite sad.
I am very conservative with money, almost to a point where it's bad...
I can be very hypocritical.
I can not be bothered to think about getting married, or even being in a relationship. Love is an emotion......therefore a weakness....blah blah blah. I feel odd saying that though, as I don't consciously believe that. It's more of a very predominant subconscious belief.
I can't stand being late to things, but sometimes I am anyways....oops.
I work very hard at things I care about, but if I don't care, I will put very minimum effort in. This is my problem with school... I need things to be practical, and quite frankly, finding the function of a parabola is not practical.
I often see people as robots, who are to be manipulated. This is how I think, but not always how I act...I can be quite caring if I wish.
People's first impression of me is that I seem very standoffish and mad, even though I'm usually not.
Although I despise change, sometimes I crave it, because things get boring very quickly.

I could write more, but what do you think? I am always confused because I am one thing, and at the same time I am the opposite....It is driving me crazy actually.

Eye of the Potato

I am always typed as ISTJ by tests, which is fairly accurate, but I sometimes wonder what others would say I am. From this list of qualities, what would you type me as?

I see emotions as weaknesses, but although I wouldn't care to admit it, I do feel very much. This being said though, I strongly dislike talking about my emotions. (bleckk)
I am very perceptive of others, and can often figure people out relatively quickly...
I absolutely hate crying, especially in front of people, as I see it as a submission to emotion, and therefore a weakness. However, I have a tendency to be overwhelmed very easily, and am prone to crying (although I hate myself for it.)
I am very black-and-white when it comes to life. Things are good or bad, yes or no, true or false.
I can't stand having people behind me, whether it be in line, in a room, in class, etc. (Is this even personality related?)
I am energized by being with people initially, but after a while I am completely drained.
I am painfully shy around people I am not comfortable with, to the extent that I won't even move. However, if I am with people I am comfortable with, I am very outgoing.
I despise change with a passion. In fact, I moved to a new place and it has taken me three years to start feeling comfortable....
I am the kind of person who eats breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, and dinner at 5:30, whether I am hungry or not. Those are the times designated for eating, right? Also I like to have the same exact thing for breakfast every day.
I get bored very easily.
I am very anxiety-prone.
I have no problem being alone, but if I am alone for extended periods of time, I get quite sad.
I can not be bothered to think about getting married, or even being in a relationship. Love is an emotion......therefore a weakness....blah blah blah. I feel odd saying that though, as I don't consciously believe that. It's more of a very predominant subconscious belief.
I work very hard at things I care about, but if I don't care, I will put very minimum effort in. This is my problem with school... I need things to be practical, and quite frankly, finding the function of a parabola is not practical.
I often see people as robots, who are to be manipulated. This is how I think, but not always how I act...I can be quite caring if I wish.
People's first impression of me is that I seem very standoffish and mad, even though I'm usually not.
Although I despise change, sometimes I crave it, because things get boring very quickly.

I could write more, but what do you think? I am always confused because I am one thing, and at the same time I am the opposite....It is driving me crazy actually.

Well what scares you more? Change? (Ne) Or expressing your emotions to people you know quite well? (Fe)

Which one has been more of a struggle for you in your life?

Nobody is a cardboard cut out. We can all be a hundred different ways from day to day. The trick is, figuring out what you do predominantly, over time.
Maybe the reason you feel like you are going crazy, is because you can't put yourself into a neat category, it's not all black and white.

For example, if you like thrill seeking, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you compare your love of thrill seeking, to your preoccupation with following the rules?

And if you like being on time and hate being late, yet sometimes manage to be late, try to compare how often you are on time, to how often you are late. To give you something to compare this to and get a little perspective, I'm an enfp, and I'm late 80% of the time. If you were an istj and my opposite, you might be late 20% of the time. Which is good time keeping.

You say you feel things very strongly. You seem to be consciously aware of your emotions, but you just don't value them. An istp, finds it difficult to identify their emotions, they don't know what they are feeling, because Fi is an unconscious function for them. So the fact that you are consciously aware of them, suggests istj to me.

Watch these video's and see which one you relate to better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBq8dvac1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sXF8PyHS8

brookeedesiree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Well what scares you more? Change? (Ne) Or expressing your emotions to people you know quite well? (Fe)

Which one has been more of a struggle for you in your life?

Nobody is a cardboard cut out. We can all be a hundred different ways from day to day. The trick is, figuring out what you do predominantly, over time.
Maybe the reason you feel like you are going crazy, is because you can't put yourself into a neat category, it's not all black and white.

For example, if you like thrill seeking, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you compare your love of thrill seeking, to your preoccupation with following the rules?

And if you like being on time and hate being late, yet sometimes manage to be late, try to compare how often you are on time, to how often you are late. To give you something to compare this to and get a little perspective, I'm an enfp, and I'm late 80% of the time. If you were an istj and my opposite, you might be late 20% of the time. Which is good time keeping.

You say you feel things very strongly. You seem to be consciously aware of your emotions, but you just don't value them. An istp, finds it difficult to identify their emotions, they don't know what they are feeling, because Fi is an unconscious function for them. So the fact that you are consciously aware of them, suggests istj to me.

Watch these video's and see which one you relate to better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfBq8dvac1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sXF8PyHS8

I suppose you are correct. I am definitely more ISTJ than ISTP...I know an ISTP very well, and they do seem to be emotionally vacant sometimes, which I am definitely not. And your first question is quite difficult, as both are equally intimidating...

MBTI memes are fantastic!

PimpinMcBoltage

Enneagram
You'd probably fit into ISTJ pretty well MBTI wise. Though since everyone is a "functions" freak, then I am also going to say that a lot of your points seems to edge towards you being an egotic thinking dominant (T > S). I see the inferior form of feeling pop up as the fact that you are also black-white morality wise. Those who are Thinking dominants often experience childish, stubborn relationship with things that cannot be factually accessed. Such as what you value and whatnot.

Your enneagram type seems more 5ish than 6ish to me. I don't really seem to see much themes of have any sort of theme of having issues with inner guidance. It's mostly just following procedure in order to fight against the chaos of the world, and to know it completely. But I'm not so secure in that assessment. I can also see you as being a 1.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI memes are fantastic!

Indeedy! :D

:laugh: Ohmygod. Did you make that, or find it??

I made it on Meme Generator just for this thread :laugh:

To give a serious answer to the OP: You seem pretty ISTJ to me.

However, if I may play the role of father-ISFJ for a moment - You sound like you have some distorted ideas about emotions and I think you need to talk to someone about that. But that's just me

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISTJ sounds like a good fit to me.

Pimpin McBoltage said:
I don't really seem to see much themes of have any sort of theme of having issues with inner guidance. It's mostly just following procedure in order to fight against the chaos of the world, and to know it completely. But I'm not so secure in that assessment. I can also see you as being a 1.

This is interesting. I could see 1 as well. Though, I have heard the idea of the "Prussian" 6, typically 6w5 and sx-last, who uses order as a way to fight against the strongly-perceived uncertainty, which would be 6 underneath.

[MENTION=8485]tinker683[/MENTION] - excellent!! :laugh:

brookeedesiree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
You'd probably fit into ISTJ pretty well MBTI wise. Though since everyone is a "functions" freak, then I am also going to say that a lot of your points seems to edge towards you being an egotic thinking dominant (T > S). I see the inferior form of feeling pop up as the fact that you are also black-white morality wise. Those who are Thinking dominants often experience childish, stubborn relationship with things that cannot be factually accessed. Such as what you value and whatnot.

Your enneagram type seems more 5ish than 6ish to me. I don't really seem to see much themes of have any sort of theme of having issues with inner guidance. It's mostly just following procedure in order to fight against the chaos of the world, and to know it completely. But I'm not so secure in that assessment. I can also see you as being a 1.

I could very well be a 1...I don't know very much about enneagram (yet) and so 6w5 is simply the test result I received...I will definitely explore it more though! Do you have any recommendations as to where to learn more about it?

brookeedesiree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Indeedy! :D

I made it on Meme Generator just for this thread :laugh:

To give a serious answer to the OP: You seem pretty ISTJ to me.

However, if I may play the role of father-ISFJ for a moment - You sound like you have some distorted ideas about emotions and I think you need to talk to someone about that. But that's just me

Yeahh it's kind of bad....Although I may have come across stronger in my original post than I intended, I really do have some weird ideas about it... It's quite awful at times.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Oh my, so much to answer! :happy2:

ISTJs like lists. We really do like to break things into pieces and try to study them piece by piece. Details are everything, frak the whole picture!

All these things point to an underdeveloped Fi-function. This is very common for ISTJs who have not yet fully reached their potential. For one reason or another, young ISTJs are very inadequate with emotions. We function strongly with Si and Te, which leads us always follow the logical path, ignoring the emotional roller coasters others might have to face (especially Fe, they need to have their decisions validated by others). This leads us not to have to deal with emotions, since they rarely come to our way... except when we have to deal with other people. Having to deal with strong emotional outburst of other people might initially make us feel superior to others and make emotions feel pathetic and troublesome.

I'm quite sure that you not liking people who think with their heart might just be you ignoring your own feelings, and thus feeling awkward. And whatever makes us feel awkward, makes us dislike it.

People's first impression of me is that I seem very standoffish

I think these are direct consequences of you not being even with your own emotions.

Here I sense somewhat overcoming judging function (Te) with limited support from information-gathering function (Si). It should be the otherway, for you to be more content with yourself. Always remember that people and things are more complex that they seem to be. You only have your own subjective view of the situation, which might twisted by your own expectations.

ISTJs are really much into safety and stability. We believe that best things arise from stabile environments.

I am very anxiety-prone.

While ISTJs can be neurotic, we are not as neurotic say INFJs. This is one issue ISTJs should settle to allow personal growth.

ISTJs love being part of something greater than themselves. Well not, love, but they feel a sense of fulfillment. ISTJs make good teamplayers, but not so good soloists.

I get bored very easily.
I'm not quite sure how this manifests in you, as ISTJs are known for their knowledge of minute detail, which leads them to be preoccupied with constant knowledge gathering. It might also be that you become bored when out of your comfort zone, and it could be explained by rigidness some ISTJs have in trying new things. ISTJs are good at judging things and thus think they have a good idea what a thing is before they even try it.

My reply here is rather similar to as to the previous one. When out of comfort zone (e.g. highly theorical discussion which does not aim to practical solutions), ISTJs quickly phase out. I shined in math before I went to college. There the math made no sense and it became painful.

Problem solving and data gathering. That's ISTJ. ;)

Very strong ISTJ, but with a hint of anxiety on how things are. There's a part of your that doesn't like the things as they are, but has really no idea how it would like things to be. Sounds like me about 10 years ago. Then I found MBTI and learned a lot about myself. :)

brookeedesiree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh my, so much to answer! :happy2:

ISTJs like lists. We really do like to break things into pieces and try to study them piece by piece. Details are everything, frak the whole picture!

All these things point to an underdeveloped Fi-function. This is very common for ISTJs who have not yet fully reached their potential. For one reason or another, young ISTJs are very inadequate with emotions. We function strongly with Si and Te, which leads us always follow the logical path, ignoring the emotional roller coasters others might have to face (especially Fe, they need to have their decisions validated by others). This leads us not to have to deal with emotions, since they rarely come to our way... except when we have to deal with other people. Having to deal with strong emotional outburst of other people might initially make us feel superior to others and make emotions feel pathetic and troublesome.

I'm quite sure that you not liking people who think with their heart might just be you ignoring your own feelings, and thus feeling awkward. And whatever makes us feel awkward, makes us dislike it.

I think these are direct consequences of you not being even with your own emotions.

Here I sense somewhat overcoming judging function (Te) with limited support from information-gathering function (Si). It should be the otherway, for you to be more content with yourself. Always remember that people and things are more complex that they seem to be. You only have your own subjective view of the situation, which might twisted by your own expectations.

ISTJs are really much into safety and stability. We believe that best things arise from stabile environments.

While ISTJs can be neurotic, we are not as neurotic say INFJs. This is one issue ISTJs should settle to allow personal growth.

ISTJs love being part of something greater than themselves. Well not, love, but they feel a sense of fulfillment. ISTJs make good teamplayers, but not so good soloists.

I'm not quite sure how this manifests in you, as ISTJs are known for their knowledge of minute detail, which leads them to be preoccupied with constant knowledge gathering. It might also be that you become bored when out of your comfort zone, and it could be explained by rigidness some ISTJs have in trying new things. ISTJs are good at judging things and thus think they have a good idea what a thing is before they even try it.

My reply here is rather similar to as to the previous one. When out of comfort zone (e.g. highly theorical discussion which does not aim to practical solutions), ISTJs quickly phase out. I shined in math before I went to college. There the math made no sense and it became painful.

Problem solving and data gathering. That's ISTJ. ;)

Very strong ISTJ, but with a hint of anxiety on how things are. There's a part of your that doesn't like the things as they are, but has really no idea how it would like things to be. Sounds like me about 10 years ago. Then I found MBTI and learned a lot about myself. :)

You are quite right, I have a very low tolerance for bs, and the drama of people. I mentally can't comprehend it, which drives some people I know insane, but I honestly don't care all that much.

I also don't understand the whole need for validation thing. I do not profess to be an extremely confident person (although comparatively I suppose I am, I just don't like to seem full of myself), but I can't stand being around others who are always putting themselves down and needing other people to tell them what they are and aren't. I don't dislike the person, I just find it drags me down to be with them.

And you are spot on about obscured views because of false expectations. I rarely have serious problems with people, but when I do, it's ALWAYS because I expect them to be someone they aren't or them to do something they can't.

Also, you say ISTJ's aren't good soloists? Although this may be true in the big picture, I can't stand being on a team because of the afore mentioned "expectations" problem...When I was a child, I didn't even like cleaning up with people because they always put things in the wrong places :dry:

zulidadwi

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am ISTJ too.. and yours are exactly look like what I've been doing all my life :hi: