• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] How to Help a Possibly Anorexic ISFJ...

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I would like to ask if anybody, but especially any ISJFs around here, has any insight on how best to speak with my ISFJ mother, who I'm concerned may possibly be an anorexic.

Her weight is down to 75 lbs., and her immune system is weak, so she is sick a lot and takes a long time to get over it. She needs to take several naps a day due to becoming severely sleep deprived over several months of taking care of my grandmother.

She believes that she suffers from food allergies. She believes that she cannot eat most foods. This belief is based upon a lifetime of digestive pains and discomforts, plus kinesiology. She has a degree in Oriental medicine and is a practicing acupuncturist and kinesiologist. She is also her own health provider and feels failed by the medical establishment. At one time she saw a round of doctors who could find nothing wrong with her, other than the last, who finally diagnosed her with irritable bowel syndrome and suggested she see a psychiatrist for possible anorexia. She then began seeing an acupuncturist.

The acupuncturist she saw used kinesiology to diagnose her problems. Kinesiology works by making the thumb and forefinger into a circuit and then asking questions of the body. The answer to the question is yes or now depending on if the circuit can be broken by pulling apart the thumb and forefinger.

Ever since seeing this acupuncturist, she is always on the verge of finally "clearing". Clearing food allergies and "cellular memories", that is. But then her symptoms return, and she realizes she is not really "cleared" yet. Then she goes on a more restrictive diet. For a while she has only been eating fish, turkey, rice, wild rice, squash, oatmeal, flax seed and sunflower seeds. She keeps saying that soon she will be able to go on a rotating diet once she builds up her system enough.

In the nineties, she got down to 75 lbs, and everybody in the family freaked out. Both my father and mother got very defensive in the face of several of my mother's sisters, plus my younger brother, trying (in their view) to force my mother to submit to the treatment and advice of a conventional doctor. My mother's beliefs in her health concepts and practices seem as entrenched as my parents' religious beliefs.

I can't even call my father up and tell him that I'm worried about my mother and ask for his help, because he'll get defensive and make it all about him. Not only that, but he's an alcoholic. I can't ask my parents to go into therapy. They don't respect or trust anything establishment or conventional.

To top it all off, to have a debate with my mother about anything is to be worn down by hours of detailed tangents. And she doesn't even have the energy to debate, anyway.

My husband believes the only way to help my mother is to get through to her by shocking her with something that she will have to pay attention to, such as yelling at her. He thinks the problem is that nobody has ever told her she is crazy, and that's the problem with everybody in my whole family, ha ha.

I've been trying to help her the gentle way, and it hasn't been working so far. I've tried to buy her food she can eat, such as brown rice protein powder and ground flax seed. I've encouraged her to rest. I've encouraged her to go on the rotating diet that she keeps saying she'll be able to go on soon. She thinks she's almost cleared and that, when she's cleared, she'll be able to eat anything as long is it is no more often than once every four days. But I've been hearing things like this for so long.

So, any insights on the best way to have an intervention with an ISFJ who appears to be a prisoner of her own self-harming beliefs? Any communication tips?

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm sorry to hear this. SJs can be very stubborn and set in their ways, even at great personal cost.

Does your mom have any idea that she's sick? I think the idea of something "shocking" would be useful - but NOT yelling at her. That's not going to accomplish anything, and it might make a stubborn person even more set in her ways. I would suggest something "shocking" in terms of astonishing, like a wake-up-call or intervention to change her perspective and make her realize that she is sick. You could take pictures of her or videotape her during the day informally and show her that she is seriously underweight and doesn't even realize it. As an SJ I am a bit concerned about how other perceive me, and if someone tells me that something's wrong with me I'll take their advice seriously. Or show her pictures of people that look like her, severe anorexics. With a health background your mom seems rational enough to understand the basics of nutrition, but she just needs to break that body image and see *reality*.

I'm not a professional, though, so please don't take me too seriously. Definitely talk to your friendly local mental health professional if you can.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I think your husbands advice of yelling and trying to shock her will prove to be ineffective. She's probably likely to get hurt and then retreat further inward.

If you can't get her to go to therapy on her own, I think the best method is to give her consequences for her actions. Not health consequences or anything like that, but what YOU will do if she continues on this path. This is likely to only be effective if you have a close relationship with her. Anyway, think of the things that you do and share together and threaten to take them away if she doesn't agree to get help.

"Mom, if you don't agree to go to therapy, then I will no longer do: X, Y, and Z."

Essentially, you're threatening to remove yourself from her life. It's not about debating with her. Rather, it's a very simple cause and effect statement. Do A, or I'm going to take away B.

The key part is following through.

A few years ago, I was forced to do the same to an ESFJ friend of mine. It worked (sort of). She knew that my threats to remove myself from her life were serious. SJs are very loyal to their friends and family, and they really hate to disappoint the people that they are close to.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Does your mom have any idea that she's sick? I think the idea of something "shocking" would be useful - but NOT yelling at her. That's not going to accomplish anything, and it might make a stubborn person even more set in her ways. I would suggest something "shocking" in terms of astonishing, like a wake-up-call or intervention to change her perspective and make her realize that she is sick. You could take pictures of her or videotape her during the day informally and show her that she is seriously underweight and doesn't even realize it.

She knows she's severely underweight. But she still believes that it's even worse to eat a food she's allergic to. She thinks if she does that, it will make her digestive system shut down altogether.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I think your husbands advice of yelling and trying to shock her will prove to be ineffective. She's probably likely to get hurt and then retreat further inward.

I agree. My gut tells me not to do that.

If you can't get her to go to therapy on her own, I think the best method is to give her consequences for her actions. Not health consequences or anything like that, but what YOU will do if she continues on this path. This is likely to only be effective if you have a close relationship with her. Anyway, think of the things that you do and share together and threaten to take them away if she doesn't agree to get help.

I'm afraid what would happen then is that she'd be extremely depressed and upset but would still have her same beliefs about her food allergies. She'd think I put her in the position of not only having food allergies and getting thin because of them, but also of being mean to her because of it.

Thanks for the advice, though.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
She's down to 75 lbs. ?!?!?!?

Oh my, an intervention is most definitely called for.

A.) Your mother *is* anorexic.

B.) Your mother can, and most likely, will, die from this disease if she does not seek out professional help.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She's down to 75 lbs. ?!?!?!?

Oh my, an intervention is most definitely called for.

A.) Your mother *is* anorexic.

B.) Your mother can, and most likely, will, die from this disease if she does not seek out professional help.

I absolutely agree!

Anorexia Intervention

hiddengem

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Is there someone whose opinion she really respects that could talk to her for you? A close friend or other family member? If there is, having this person sit down with her one-on-one and sincerely telling her they are concerned about her might help. I agree that yelling will probably not do the trick, but a quite voice might get through.

Of course, if she does have anorexia nothing short of a medical intervention where she is dragged to a hospital might work. I don't know much about that disease but it looks as if those that have it have such a distorted view of their bodies that it takes a lot of effort to change that.

wordvarc

Stuck and stubborn in Destructive Action

I would like to ask if anybody, but especially any ISJFs around here, has any insight on how best to speak with my ISFJ mother, who I'm concerned may possibly be an anorexic.

Her weight is down to 75 lbs., and her immune system is weak, so she is sick a lot and takes a long time to get over it. She needs to take several naps a day due to becoming severely sleep deprived over several months of taking care of my grandmother.

She believes that she suffers from food allergies. She believes that she cannot eat most foods. This belief is based upon a lifetime of digestive pains and discomforts, plus kinesiology. She has a degree in Oriental medicine and is a practicing acupuncturist and kinesiologist. She is also her own health provider and feels failed by the medical establishment. At one time she saw a round of doctors who could find nothing wrong with her, other than the last, who finally diagnosed her with irritable bowel syndrome and suggested she see a psychiatrist for possible anorexia. She then began seeing an acupuncturist.

The acupuncturist she saw used kinesiology to diagnose her problems. Kinesiology works by making the thumb and forefinger into a circuit and then asking questions of the body. The answer to the question is yes or now depending on if the circuit can be broken by pulling apart the thumb and forefinger.

Ever since seeing this acupuncturist, she is always on the verge of finally "clearing". Clearing food allergies and "cellular memories", that is. But then her symptoms return, and she realizes she is not really "cleared" yet. Then she goes on a more restrictive diet. For a while she has only been eating fish, turkey, rice, wild rice, squash, oatmeal, flax seed and sunflower seeds. She keeps saying that soon she will be able to go on a rotating diet once she builds up her system enough.

In the nineties, she got down to 75 lbs, and everybody in the family freaked out. Both my father and mother got very defensive in the face of several of my mother's sisters, plus my younger brother, trying (in their view) to force my mother to submit to the treatment and advice of a conventional doctor. My mother's beliefs in her health concepts and practices seem as entrenched as my parents' religious beliefs.

I can't even call my father up and tell him that I'm worried about my mother and ask for his help, because he'll get defensive and make it all about him. Not only that, but he's an alcoholic. I can't ask my parents to go into therapy. They don't respect or trust anything establishment or conventional.

To top it all off, to have a debate with my mother about anything is to be worn down by hours of detailed tangents. And she doesn't even have the energy to debate, anyway.

My husband believes the only way to help my mother is to get through to her by shocking her with something that she will have to pay attention to, such as yelling at her. He thinks the problem is that nobody has ever told her she is crazy, and that's the problem with everybody in my whole family, ha ha.

I've been trying to help her the gentle way, and it hasn't been working so far. I've tried to buy her food she can eat, such as brown rice protein powder and ground flax seed. I've encouraged her to rest. I've encouraged her to go on the rotating diet that she keeps saying she'll be able to go on soon. She thinks she's almost cleared and that, when she's cleared, she'll be able to eat anything as long is it is no more often than once every four days. But I've been hearing things like this for so long.

So, any insights on the best way to have an intervention with an ISFJ who appears to be a prisoner of her own self-harming beliefs? Any communication tips?

When she believes her actions are no longer useful she will stop. ISFJ's listen to a dominant other to organize in their own minds what is proper or what they should do. But as their sympathy for weaker others plights is in tact, their ability to empathise by feeling another's feelings is limited or damaged. This leaves an appeal to their feelings ineffective. They live by shame and hide themselves and their actions to avoid scrutiny. They are prey to quacks and guru's who give them behavioral directions as their sense of self identity is primitive and unavailable for self guidance. Sometimes, usually by moving to a different location, they change gurus.

Are there a few friends she talks with who may exert some influence? Is your father open to intervention? Is he able to see his addiction as harmful? Will he attempt attendance at Alcoholics Annonymous? Are you able to make changes to improve your life? Actions are what are noticed by ISFJs.

Krwheel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'd kinda like to revive this topic. I'm an ISFJ and recently accepted that I'm anorexic. The hard thing about this is that I'm a male and so it was really pretty easy to hide for a while, but I realized it was going to catch up to me. So I told my family and some close friends. Even after doing that it's been hard to accept help and accept the seriousness of my problem.

This is just one problem that people face, how do you help an ISFJ and how does and ISFJ accept help for such a huge problem?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bump for importance.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd kinda like to revive this topic. I'm an ISFJ and recently accepted that I'm anorexic. The hard thing about this is that I'm a male and so it was really pretty easy to hide for a while, but I realized it was going to catch up to me. So I told my family and some close friends. Even after doing that it's been hard to accept help and accept the seriousness of my problem.

This is just one problem that people face, how do you help an ISFJ and how does and ISFJ accept help for such a huge problem?

Do you not eat much because you are concerned with your image or do you not eat because you don't like food?

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

I know almost nothing about anorexia, but I think that although accepting the truth to yourself is definitely the first step (and good for you :)), the second should be to consult a professional - probably starting with your doctor, who can probably direct you to any other resources that you may need, including such things as support groups, etc.

I'm tempted to try to say more about things that I think would help, but truly I just don't know enough to have a good opinion on it... but I'm confident that the next step would be to see a professional to help you come to terms with the seriousness of it (I say this as you mentioned it specifically) and help you find out the best way to take steps to address it. Don't put it off - commit to a concrete action now. It's all too easy to make a small (but not large enough) change, and then slip back into bad habits. You need to address it the right way, and your doctor will be able to help you find out what that may be.

I hope things go well!

Krwheel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The interesting thing for me as an anorexic is that it really started with just healthy dieting. But then I got a little bit carried away with it and it came to the point that it was almost a hobby to avoid eating. So really some of it is image and I think that's the biggest problem to overcome, but it has also become an issue that I've convinced my mind that food makes me sick.

I have actually had a good week with the holidays though, it's hard to avoid eating at family parties and I made sure that the people closest to me wouldn't let me starve myself in the days following, because I knew it would be a time that I'd want to make up for eating.

I think that the whole thing of having a plan of action is right. I do have an appointment scheduled with a therapist and I have friends and family that I've told that are supposed to make sure I eat. The biggest issue that's affecting me now though is that as an ISFJ I still worry about other people around me a lot and I minimize my problem as I try to help others. It's kinda been hard to figure out how to balance my personality's natural inclination and staying focused on the problem that I need to face.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not a doctor but maybe you could eat more of the things you do like everyday until you get used to eating bigger portions and get to a healthy weight. I'm a firm believer that the stomach stretches and shrinks according to how much you normally put in it. It should be done slowly though. Then maybe later you can start adding other foods that you're not used to eating little by little to get your palate and digestive system used to them.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Do you not eat much because you are concerned with your image or do you not eat because you don't like food?

My ISFJ friend is very underweight too, she is barely 6 stone. Not because she in concerned about her image, but because she doesn't like food.

I mean she is now in a relationship with a guy who knows how to cook (she calls him "the feeder" lol) but if she can avoiding eating, she will. Not only that but she is a very active person, her jobs demands a great physical strain from her so even when she does eat she burns it off with long bike rides and gruelling hours of labouring and landscaping.

Is it normal Hmm? I just wondered because of your question if other ISFJ's also dislike food. :shock:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ISFJ friend is very underweight too, she is barely 6 stone. Not because she in concerned about her image, but because she doesn't like food.

I mean she is now in a relationship with a guy who knows how to cook (she calls him "the feeder" lol) but if she can avoiding eating, she will. Not only that but she is a very active person, her jobs demands a great physical strain from her so even when she does eat she burns it off with long bike rides and gruelling hours of labouring and landscaping.

Is it normal Hmm? I just wondered because of your question if other ISFJ's also dislike food. :shock:

6 Stone = 84 pounds so yeah that does sound like a problem.

I'm pretty thin myself and I'm 8.2 Stone at 5'7". I wouldn't want to weigh 6 Stone. :shock:

I imagine it will be difficult to talk to her about though, without her feeling put down. I mean, I HATE HATE HATE when people tell me I'm too skinny.

I think the best way is to ask her to go on a diet with you for the new year. Don't tell her this, but her diet will be to gain weight though, not lose weight. Tell her you want ot eat healthier and want someone to do it with you for extra motivation. You can make meal plans and such with extra calories/meals added into hers. I wouldn't be surprised if ISFJ's tend to stop eating when they are stressed (I know I do) She may be skipping meals.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I read further down that you eat more when your friends and family encourage you to... how are you handling the anxiety? I think it's a good sign that you are not feeling anger towards them... I used to have what you have and I didn't like anyone who would try to make me eat. A few other questions... are you just forgetting/not thinking about eating... or are you constantly thinking about/obsessing over how to avoid food? Can you sleep...? Also, are you exercising on top of not eating? I struggled with eating disorders from 14-19 and I think the hardest part is learning how to eat normally (just in terms of breakfast-lunch-dinner) while accepting that losing an eating disorder does not mean you are becoming lax with discipline. There is just so much to say about it... If you feel comfortable you can PM me... I immersed myself in ED research when I was dying to be healthy again... I cannot stress how great it is that you are seeking help though... I hope you'll be able to recover without developing any permanent health complications.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
6 Stone = 84 pounds so yeah that does sound like a problem.

I'm pretty thin myself and I'm 8.2 Stone at 5'7". I wouldn't want to weigh 6 Stone. :shock:

I imagine it will be difficult to talk to her about though, without her feeling put down. I mean, I HATE HATE HATE when people tell me I'm too skinny.

I think the best way is to ask her to go on a diet with you for the new year. Don't tell her this, but her diet will be to gain weight though, not lose weight. Tell her you want ot eat healthier and want someone to do it with you for extra motivation. You can make meal plans and such with extra calories/meals added into hers. I wouldn't be surprised if ISFJ's tend to stop eating when they are stressed (I know I do) She may be skipping meals.

Well I would never tell her she was too skinny, I am very sensitive when it comes to weight criticism (being a recovered anorexic/bulimic myself) and I know when her mother (ESFJ) criticises her for it it makes her feel less inclined to eat and even crappier about herself.

Her boyfriend said it and she was very upset, she feels like she is being forced to eat when he checks up on her food intake daily. :doh: Which is why she calls him the feeder.

It sounds like a good idea, I was intending a change to my diet in the new year as it happens lol so I will broach it with her and see what she has to say.

She is 6 months pregnant too, at 6 stone, so it's not healthy for her or the baby.

Thanks for the advice Hmm. :)