• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Advice from ESTJ's

kikat

I've scored ESTJ many times over, and the majority of the descriptions fit me to a tee; however some do not.

ESTJ
I am demanding, controlling, rigid, not aware of how I come across to others. However, I am also intensely loyal and protective of those who are close to me. I will give the shirt off my back to those I love. I am uncomfortable with emotional outbursts and comforting people when they are crying (get me away!!); however if I am stressed I do cry. And if you blatantly disrespect me on moral grounds, you're dead to me.
I think a lot of people can't get past the exterior of ESTJ's but if they learned what was inside they'd be surprised (my opinion).

Things that don't seem ESTJ ish (although I could be wrong)

I am very creative and love making crafts, designing and photography. I also like to write fiction, mostly poetry. (The big picture eludes me when trying to compile a story from start to finish). I'm also quite scatterbrained. I love making lists and organizing things; however half the time I lose my post it's. I'm forever losing my keys, glasses.

I also think in images. How do other ESTJ's think? In words, images, or some other context? I also make connections to things easily when thinking; however at the same time I am also very linear and prefer my information in that fashion. I hate ambiguity.

I know that ESTJ's shadow type is INFP. I'm an animal activist and have a strong compassion for animals-not the in your face type that INFP's are though. How often do you think we actually use our shadow function?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe we should see what a self-typed ESTJ like [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] thinks.

Standuble

Everything you wrote above "(my opinion)" is introverted feeling in action. You probably use it a lot but you are unaware that you are. Compassion isn't really a pre-requisite.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=19979]kikat[/MENTION] I'm not an ESTJ, but we should have a few things in common.

We both think in images and are a bit scatterbrained, trying to be organized but never quite getting there, and I also occasionally write poetry.

You seem ESTJ to me, and you have an imagination and some compassion. Rock on. I think your imagination and compassion come from inferior Ne/Fi.

Standuble

How often do you think we use our inferior functions? If I am am ESTJ, then I think I use my Ne/Fe a lot.

From what I understand your inferior function (introverted feeling) is of critical importance to you as an ESTJ. It is even more important that Si and Ne which are more like tools. Te and Fi have a complex relationship where Te is the method of both articulating the Fi's need and defending it from the outside world. Fi provides Te with a reason for organising and implementing - it provides incentive. There is probably Fi involved in nearly every decision you make. To see Fi you need to stop and follow back the reasons behind your decision. Eventually you will find a reason which is rooted in your own personal desires.

Other than that you probably use Ne a lot as an extrovert.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Other than that you probably use Ne a lot as an extrovert.

I don't think being an extrovert is a factor, since external forces tend to keep us from expressing our ESxJ creativity. I think being alone allows Ne to show itself.

Standuble

I don't think being an extrovert is a factor, since external forces tend to keep us from expressing our ESxJ creativity. I think being alone allows Ne to show itself.

For Ne to operate at full capacity you need external stimuli. Communication works but so too does solitary activities as long as they involve outside stimulation e.g. walking through woodland or a busy road. The benefit of Ne however is that it still operates for a while afterwards so you can make use of it when alone.

Compare your mind when a) you spend a few hours alone after work and b) when you don't go out at all during the day (nor watch television nor interact with others.) There is a sizeable difference in mental activity.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Compare your mind when a) you spend a few hours alone after work and b) when you don't go out at all during the day (nor watch television nor interact with others.) There is a sizeable difference in mental activity.
lacking simulation makes me want to look outward for new things, while being over stimulated makes me want the familiar.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sorry I'm late, [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] et al!
I dunno. On the one hand, I think my Ne flows the most naturally when I'm with a friend/friends and feeling silly. On the other hand, I think my Ne is more creative when I'm alone.
I've scored ESTJ many times over, and the majority of the descriptions fit me to a tee; however some do not.
I'll begin by saying that you'd be a rare bird if all the various type description elements fit you to a T. More on my personal experience with that later in the post --
ESTJ
I am demanding, controlling, rigid, not aware of how I come across to others. However, I am also intensely loyal and protective of those who are close to me. I will give the shirt off my back to those I love. I am uncomfortable with emotional outbursts and comforting people when they are crying (get me away!!); however if I am stressed I do cry. And if you blatantly disrespect me on moral grounds, you're dead to me.
I think a lot of people can't get past the exterior of ESTJ's but if they learned what was inside they'd be surprised (my opinion).
Yep, all of that sounds ESTJ. And your last sentence is spot on. :)
Things that don't seem ESTJ ish (although I could be wrong)

I am very creative and love making crafts, designing and photography. I also like to write fiction, mostly poetry. (The big picture eludes me when trying to compile a story from start to finish). I'm also quite scatterbrained. I love making lists and organizing things; however half the time I lose my post it's. I'm forever losing my keys, glasses.
Just to compare:
I am obsessed with music, art, and crafts. I was involved in theatre and wind ensemble in school. I am a freelance knitter and seamstress (for coworkers and for a local theatre) in my spare time. I'm learning to play the mandolin. I'm considering participating in NaNoWriMo this year. And I am on my SIXTH metro card because I lost the other five. :doh:
I also think in images. How do other ESTJ's think? In words, images, or some other context? I also make connections to things easily when thinking; however at the same time I am also very linear and prefer my information in that fashion. I hate ambiguity.
There's no way particular types are supposed to think, re: images, words -- but if you're a linear thinker and hate ambiguity, I think your SJ-ness is sealed. :D
I know that ESTJ's shadow type is INFP. I'm an animal activist and have a strong compassion for animals-not the in your face type that INFP's are though. How often do you think we actually use our shadow function?
Constantly. We may lead with Te, but everything our Te does is motivated by Fi. For the ExTJ blacksmith, Te is the hammer and Fi is the heat on the blade -- it makes the craft purposeful. Hammering at an unheated blade does nothing constructive and might even be counterproductive.