• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESTJ and ESFJ Characters

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One TV character that I thought could be an ESTJ (or possibly ESFJ) is Michael from "Arrested Development". I like that character to represent the type because it is hard not to like him for his sincerity and efforts to keep his family together. Anyway, can people think of other characters that represent these types?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've been making myself a list of fictional characters according to type. Many of them are my own typing so, I'm not sure if the consensus disagrees. A few of them I'm a bit iffy about (eg. the ESFJs could be ESTJ or ISFJ) because I'm still pondering them. I'd be interested to see what the SJs say anyway. :)

ESFJ
Ned Flanders (The Simpsons)
Molly Weasley (Harry Potter)
Lord and Lady Grantham (Downton Abbey)
Peeta (The Hunger Games)
Marge Gunderson (Fargo)
Kitty (That 70s Show)
Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins)
Clarissa Vaughn (The Hours)
Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit)
Rabbit (Winnie the Pooh)
Dorothy (The Wizard of Oz)
Rose (Lost)
Debra and Marie (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)
Carla (Scrubs)
Woody (Toy Story)
Theoden (LOTR)
Wickus van de Merwe (District 9)

ESTJ
Sergeant Hartman (Full Metal Jacket)
Captain Barbosa (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Gale (The Hunger Games Series)
Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter Series)
Princess Leia (Star Wars)
Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
Scarlett O’Hara (Gone With the Wind)
Margo (All About Eve)
Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story)
Mr. Knightley (Emma)
Boromir (LOTR)
Angelica (Rugrats)
Lois (Malcolm in the Middle)
Clair Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
Mrs. Rachel Lynde (Anne of Green Gables)
Dr. Kelso (Scrubs)
Catelyn and Robb Stark (Game of Thrones)
Miranda Bailey (Grey’s Anatomy)
Ana Lucia (Lost)
Regina (Mean Girls)
Mattie Ross (True Grit)
Lady Catherine de Bourgh (Pride and Prejudice)
Sister Aloysius (Doubt)
Monica (Friends)
Hillary Faye (Saved!)

I haven't watched enough of Arrested Development to know if you're right about Michael

MetalMoon

I've been making myself a list of fictional characters according to type. Many of them are my own typing so, I'm not sure if the consensus disagrees. A few of them I'm a bit iffy about (eg. the ESFJs could be ESTJ or ISFJ) because I'm still pondering them. I'd be interested to see what the SJs say anyway. :)

ESFJ
Ned Flanders (The Simpsons)
Molly Weasley (Harry Potter)
Lord and Lady Grantham (Downton Abbey)
Peeta (The Hunger Games)
Marge Gunderson (Fargo)
Kitty (That 70s Show)
Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins)
Clarissa Vaughn (The Hours)
Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit)
Rabbit (Winnie the Pooh)
Dorothy (The Wizard of Oz)
Rose (Lost)
Debra and Marie (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)
Carla (Scrubs)
Woody (Toy Story)
Theoden (LOTR)
Wickus van de Merwe (District 9)

ESTJ
Sergeant Hartman (Full Metal Jacket)
Captain Barbosa (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Gale (The Hunger Games Series)
Dolores Umbridge (Harry Potter Series)
Princess Leia (Star Wars)
Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
Scarlett O’Hara (Gone With the Wind)
Margo (All About Eve)
Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story)
Mr. Knightley (Emma)
Boromir (LOTR)
Angelica (Rugrats)
Lois (Malcolm in the Middle)
Clair Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
Mrs. Rachel Lynde (Anne of Green Gables)
Dr. Kelso (Scrubs)
Catelyn and Robb Stark (Game of Thrones)
Ana Lucia (Lost)
Regina (Mean Girls)
Mattie Ross (True Grit)
Lady Catherine de Bourgh (Pride and Prejudice)
Sister Aloysius (Doubt)
Monica (Friends)
Hillary Faye (Saved!)

I haven't watched enough of Arrested Development to know if you're right about Michael

Everyone's been saying Peeta is an ISFJ or ENFJ. I don't think he's introverted.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Everyone's been saying Peeta is an ISFJ or ENFJ. I don't think he's introverted.
There's no way he's introverted and I see no Ni whatsoever. I put that down to N typing bias.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Exactly. Gale is always 'N' too...it's like it's a revelation that sensors are intelligent human beings...
... and complex, interesting and valuable contributors to a story too. :shrug:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ESTJ
Regina (Mean Girls)
Monica (Friends)

Dammit, the three ESTJs I instantly thought of when I said this thread title and you took them all. :ng_mad: Should've gotten here sooner.

ESFJ

Amy (Futurama)
Blossom (Powerpuff Girls)
Cordelia (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
J.J. (Criminal Minds)
Jackie (That '70s Show)
Katara (Avatar)
Maizono (Dangan Ronpa)
Osono (Kiki's Delivery Service)

ESTJ

Lotus (9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)
Maribelle (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Mimi (Lovely Complex)

My list is so tiny.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
My list is so tiny.

I suspect any list is tiny, even the bigger ones above, if we were to compare them to intuitive characters, because fictional writers are more likely to be intuitive.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suspect any list is tiny, even the bigger ones above, if we were to compare them to intuitive characters, because fictional writers are more likely to be intuitive.

True, plus ESJs tend to be more supporting characters than main characters. I think most S main characters tend to be ESPs. :shrug: I'd enjoy a list of some ESJ main characters (Cady from Mean Girls has been typed as ESFJ, although I think she's ISFJ).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rabbit and Bilbo Baggins both seem ISFJ to me. And Gale strikes me as more NTJ or STP (though I wouldn't rule ESTJ out entirely). Besides that: no major objections so far.

Additions (and I'm not sure about a lot of these):

ESTJ
Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski)
Maria LaGuerta (Dexter)
Erika Berger (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy) -- edit: arguably ENTJ, since she seems a bit more detached than ESTJs usually are. Hard to know.
Lisa Cuddy (House)
William Riker (Star Trek: TNG)
Hermione Granger (Harry Potter series) -- arguably ISTJ but I like to claim her as my own :)

ESFJ
Both Captain America and Superman (depending on the iteration)
George Bailey (It's A Wonderful Life)
Beverly Crusher (Star Trek: TNG)
Donna Moss (The West Wing)
Blair Waldorf (Gossip Girl)

Last edited:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rabbit and Bilbo Baggins both seem ISFJ to me.
Yeah, this is likely. They do always seem annoyed when people invade their space :D

And Gale strikes me as more NTJ or STP (though I wouldn't rule ESTJ out entirely).
I think he's definitely a Te dom. He's very absolutist in his views, as young Te-doms often are. He also has the drive and forceful presence of a EXTJ. But I can't say I get much of a Ni vibe. And I thought him more Si because he's got that whole traditional, protective family man thing going on (but perhaps this is not totally incongruent with ENTJ behaviour :shrug:).

ESFJ
Both Captain America and Superman (depending on the iteration)
I always saw Captain America and Superman as quintessential ISFJs. They have that 'quiet, chivalrous hero' quality, that is common in fictional ISFJs.

Question: What do you think of Alice, of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? She seems like a SJ, but she always has me stumped as to specific type.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ESTJ - Judge Dredd
The last movie was all about the ESTJ mind. The female rookie was the Ne-Fi part and Dredd was the dom Te/Si

ESFJ - William Riker from Star Trek (character and actor imo). Sry [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] He's characteristically ESFJ pompous and pretentious.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Senior Lead Officer John Cooper ESTJ 8w7 sp/sx
Detective II Lydia Adams ESTJ 1w2 sx/so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, this is likely. They do always seem annoyed when people invade their space :D
:laugh: Poor guys.
I think he's definitely a Te dom. He's very absolutist in his views, as young Te-doms often are. He also has the drive and forceful presence of a EXTJ. But I can't say I get much of a Ni vibe. And I thought him more Si because he's got that whole traditional, protective family man thing going on (but perhaps this is not totally incongruent with ENTJ behaviour :shrug:).
I could see ENTJ. Not much about him strikes me as traditionalist -- but I see what you mean about Te-dom absolutism. Most of my hesitance about ESTJ, for him, is that I never related to him when I read the books. But that may have been because the reader isn't really supposed to?
I always saw Captain America and Superman as quintessential ISFJs. They have that 'quiet, chivalrous hero' quality, that is common in fictional ISFJs.
Good point. I could see that.
Question: What do you think of Alice, of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? She seems like a SJ, but she always has me stumped as to specific type.
Not sure. Seems IxFx to me, but she's hard to type, because of being such a blank character. I actually had a hard time typing Riker -- who still seems more Te to me, btw -- because 90% of the time he's the straight man to a bunch of weirdos, instead of developing his own character.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I could see ENTJ. Not much about him strikes me as traditionalist -- but I see what you mean about Te-dom absolutism. Most of my hesitance about ESTJ, for him, is that I never related to him when I read the books. But that may have been because the reader isn't really supposed to?
I don't think he's traditional in that he's anti-progress. There is a temptation, with his involvement in the rebellion, to type him ENTJ, as they are much more future-oriented and more comfortable with change. But to me he seemed like a guy trying to protect what he has and that he feels like, under the immediate conditions, that this is a losing battle. For him it's like a house built on sand: he's spent years trying to sure up the foundations, but the only way to fix things long term is to start over and rebuilt a new house on stronger foundations. He's also so focussed by the injustice of his situation. Where other characters can put up with it, he's unable to let it go and is driven by righteous anger to remediate the situation (BTW he's probably a 1w2 as well).

I also contrast him with Johanna, whom I see as a pretty clear cut ENTJ. They have such different goals and reactions to situations. She prods people so much more; she gets in their head and pushes their buttons - Gale doesn't do that. But then she is an 8w7...

However, I can understand that you don't identify much. Part of typing is if a person/character feels like they fit (well, this is certainly part of my approach anyway) - so I respect that. Maybe he's just young and ignorant; he hasn't learned the complexities of the world yet, and has let his anger run too wild and it clouds his judgement, and this is why you don't identify with him. Maybe it's because we're seeing him through the eyes of a Ti dom. Or maybe I'm just plain wrong. :shrug:

Not sure. Seems IxFx to me, but she's hard to type, because of being such a blank character.
She's not really that blank. She's quite stroppy, impatient and demanding. She's very conscious and abiding of social decorum, and becomes very upset if people do things outside the norm. She doesn't care much for nonsense and is always correcting other characters when they don't make sense. She's not terribly warm or friendly (beyond being polite) and is very practical in her thinking. She doesn't seem especially reticent either, but then at other times seems uneasy with other people.

I'm not sure what type that points to, though. I keep going back and forth.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh, and I want to add some more possibles to the list:

ESTJ
Tris Prior (Divergent)
Agnes Brown (Mrs Brown's Boys)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My avatar prompted me to post EVE (from WALL-E) as an ESTJ. Or maybe the typing prompted me to change my avatar?

Either way... She rules. :yes:
I don't think he's traditional in that he's anti-progress. There is a temptation, with his involvement in the rebellion, to type him ENTJ, as they are much more future-oriented and more comfortable with change. But to me he seemed like a guy trying to protect what he has and that he feels like, under the immediate conditions, that this is a losing battle. For him it's like a house built on sand: he's spent years trying to sure up the foundations, but the only way to fix things long term is to start over and rebuilt a new house on stronger foundations. He's also so focussed by the injustice of his situation. Where other characters can put up with it, he's unable to let it go and is driven by righteous anger to remediate the situation (BTW he's probably a 1w2 as well).

I also contrast him with Johanna, whom I see as a pretty clear cut ENTJ. They have such different goals and reactions to situations. She prods people so much more; she gets in their head and pushes their buttons - Gale doesn't do that. But then she is an 8w7...
Hm. Makes sense!
However, I can understand that you don't identify much. Part of typing is if a person/character feels like they fit (well, this is certainly part of my approach anyway) - so I respect that. Maybe he's just young and ignorant; he hasn't learned the complexities of the world yet, and has let his anger run too wild and it clouds his judgement, and this is why you don't identify with him. Maybe it's because we're seeing him through the eyes of a Ti dom. Or maybe I'm just plain wrong. :shrug:
I probably didn't identify with him because I didn't like him all that much. :shrug: Happens to me with almost every unsympathetic ESTJ character. But then again, I tend not to identify with villains.* (I wonder if that's typical of ESTJs? I know INTJs tend to identify with characters regardless of where they stand morally.)

*Inspector Javert (ISTJ 1w2) is the only exception I can think of, to that rule. But that's primarily because of his redemptive and tragic end.
She's not really that blank. She's quite stroppy, impatient and demanding. She's very conscious and abiding of social decorum, and becomes very upset if people do things outside the norm. She doesn't care much for nonsense and is always correcting other characters when they don't make sense. She's not terribly warm or friendly (beyond being polite) and is very practical in her thinking. She doesn't seem especially reticent either, but then at other times seems uneasy with other people.

I'm not sure what type that points to, though. I keep going back and forth.
Damn, I really haven't read those books in a long time. :doh: I have a vague memory of the Alice of the films -- cartoon and Tim Burton live-action -- being a bit more of a dreamer (maybe INFP), but she could easily be some kind of SJ if what you're saying is accurate.

Your post also made me realize that I've somehow gotten accustomed to not viewing the "straight men" of books and films and TV as actually having a type. Which is part of why I had such a hard time typing Riker. I used to view that straight-laced aspect of Alice as a product of 1) the time/place in which she lived, and 2) the fact that a magical wonderland becomes more magical when it's constantly being compared to what's "normal".

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
some more...

ESFJ

Gretchen (Mean Girls)
Muffy (Harvest Moon)

ESTJ

Ishimaru (Dangan Ronpa)

It's so much easier to find ISTJs in fiction. :boohoo: But right now I guess I'll cling to Bailey as my favorite ESTJ. Rachel from Friends could be ESFJ. I find her and Ross hard to type, especially when the rest of the cast is pretty obvious.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTJ

Ishimaru (Dangan Ronpa)
:yes: !!!! So true that it's fucking hilarious. [MENTION=12223]Viridian[/MENTION] introduced me to him; I relate to him a lot, esp. in the scene when he has to be convinced that hobbies don't require a practical purpose. :doh:
It's so much easier to find ISTJs in fiction. :boohoo:
Ain't that the truth! :dont: I tend to relate to ISTJs more than ESTJs, because they're usually portrayed as being more complex, more intelligent, and more sympathetic. The characters I relate to most in the media, at the moment -- including Hermione Granger (Harry Potter series) and Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3) -- are either on the I/E border or the N/S border or both.