• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJ characteristics. What sets you apart?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree but it almost sounds like we're talking about mind reading here.

And I know that having this ability would be beneficial in a relationship, but it can't be a good idea to continue in, or enable someone else to continue in, a pattern of their actions (external) not matching their intentions (internal)? Maybe there's a healthy middle ground here and we're talking about S vs N stuff but it seems like a line should be drawn somewhere if these two things are constantly contradictory.

What I mean is intentions are good but that good intentions are not enough to lead to a pattern of actions. So, I was agreeing with you. I think it is helpful to understand the internal motivations though because it helps you to get to more of the core of the issue.

They need to learn how to express them! Don't ask me how to get them to do that, I'm trying to get people in my life to do it.

But, seriously, if there are no conflicts or upsets, then I would assume they are happy and have nothing bad to express. Not expressing the good is a problem though.

They won't express them though because they don't like conflict or being too expressive of their internal emotions. They probably do feel pretty happy but yes, not expressing the good is a problem.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I mean is intentions are good but that good intentions are not enough to lead to a pattern of actions. So, I was agreeing with you. I think it is helpful to understand the internal motivations though because it helps you to get to more of the core of the issue.

IME, SOME people just enjoy ruminating for the sake of ruminating. Maybe you can call them dreamers but they've developed the habit of living in their head over time and it doesn't occur to them that there are actions that need to be taken, especially when it comes to other people who are looking to them for something or when something needs to get done. This may sound extreme but I've seen it. I think everyone has a video playing in their head but you have to share that with others if you want real intimacy with them. This is the lesser of the evils though, imo, but still frustrating sometimes.

This is not the same as people who hold their feelings in which is something ISFJs and INFPs both do, even though they may want to express them. In this case they hold them in because they don't feel safe and secure enough to express them.

And then there are people who, I hate to say it, have nothing to express. They don't feel much of anything, or rather, their emotions look more like grayscale than rainbow. I would hope that ISFJs don't ever fall into this category though.

anyways, now I'm just feeling tired and loopy and am just rambling.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Be sour when opening a gift from an SFJ and you sure can make them very sad and even frustrated, especially when they think you'll be so delighted. So who wants to be the cause of that? My Mom will get defensive that she "tried so hard" and my MIL will jump up, ready with the gift receipt to help "fix" the gift issue and make you "happy" again.

Ah, yeah, I'm familiar with this. My ESFJ mom has always been one to exchange the gifts - she's a super-practical person, heavier on Je than Fe if that makes sense - and she's not particularly emotional about gifts. But I accidentally really hurt my ISFJ's feelings once when he baked me brownies, and I complained that I'd asked him not to give me food presents because I was dieting at the time. It was a really sweet gesture, and he prefers girls to be thick/curvy anyway, so now I recognize that "written in" the gift was the message of "I love your body the way it is and think you should treat yourself". But at the time it seemed like an awful gift, because it threw me into the internal conflict of being appreciative, eating the brownies, and feeling guilt, or being cold, not eating the brownies, and not feeling guilt.

To be fair, I also gave him a flower (chosen for its specific meaning) once, because I was proud of him for a major accomplishment and wanted to give him something little to indicate that, and later he told me that he was sort of baffled by the gift, lol.

Giggly said:
Guilty.

(Did I oversimplify that?)

:laugh:

highlander said:
So how about this question. What if you have an ISFJ 9 parent raising an ISFJ 9 child. Neither is particularly emotionally expressive (unlike the ISFJ 2 SX). They are all nice and pleasant to each other all the time and not really expressive of their emotions - neither bad nor good. Conflicts are avoided and there are few upsets. Emotions just aren't expressed in the house. How can they understand what each other is feeling then?

If you don't mind me butting in - I've talked to my ISFJ about emotions a fair amount (he's a 9w1, I'm fairly sure), since I'm emotionally very heavy and volatile, while he's emotionally very stable, and he explained to me in the car the other day that emotions to him are pretty clear-cut and obvious - he doesn't really ever feel emotional ambiguity - and they're not really all that powerful in terms of changing his mind or perspective. So I think emotional expression is not really all that important to him. He expresses enjoyment when he likes something and expresses distaste when he doesn't, but I think his feelings are often just experienced and channeled in a different medium than internal emotion. It's almost more like a quality of energy, like his energy is very loose and free when he's happy but it's very tight-wound and jittery when he's unhappy. With my mom - ESFJ 2w1 sp/so - too, it's like she's really engaging and open when she's happy and tight-lipped and tired-looking when she's unhappy, but I don't think she's particularly emotional internally. They're beautiful, colorful people inside, when you look at their wishes and dreams and hopes and creative ideas, just not very emotional people. Perhaps the same could be true for the ISFJ 9s you know?

But, that said, I think that probably some feeling would end up getting swept under the rug and repressed in that situation, and can lead to really deeply-buried wounds and lasting tensions that are never exposed and dealt with. And like Giggly said, it would be better to voice the good.

Hecuba

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Ironically, I have not meet an NFP who's read me correctly. I feel more understood by NFJs and SF's.

This friend had read me well, except for on one major occasion. He was the one who typed me, but he wasn't aware that I am a 6! Maybe he did, but I don't remember. :unsure: I hate to say it but I miss him terribly, I find myself reaching out for this missing friend at night. I've been crying softly in my sleep. I am not sure if he knows this, but I never let go of a friend and I would destroy a mountain if I need to get back to this friend. It would take a nuclear Holocaust to get rid of me and if so I will still be there for all of my friends in the spirit sense. Yeah, can't get rid of me. :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not sure if he knows this, but I never let go of a friend and I would destroy a mountain if I need to get back to this friend. It would take a nuclear Holocaust to get rid of me and if so I will still be there for all of my friends in the spirit sense. Yeah, can't get rid of me. :D

It's completely irrelevant to the topic of thread, but good to hear another 6 say that. I still feel that way with people I was friends with as a little kid, in high school, in college, in my first few years of working, etc. Not everyone is like this though and because they look at things through their own lens, they don't have any idea that others would be that way.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:laugh: What I THINK I need is not what I NEED. Love it. It's true of course. The thing is what the ISFJ thinks I need is not what I necessarily need either. Maybe it is the ENFPs that know :shrug:

No, it's not, but I take issue with this idea that people who don't even know how to properly express their own feelings/know what it is they are really feeling or really want have any business lecturing me on how I'm not "getting" them :dry: It feels to me like they're trying to make their problem mine.

So how about this question. What if you have an ISFJ 9 parent raising an ISFJ 9 child. Neither is particularly emotionally expressive (unlike the ISFJ 2 SX). They are all nice and pleasant to each other all the time and not really expressive of their emotions - neither bad nor good. Conflicts are avoided and there are few upsets. Emotions just aren't expressed in the house. How can they understand what each other is feeling then?

This situation sounds like a pouder-keg to me. These two are probably going to either get along extremely well or they're going to talk past each other, over-compensate to avoid offending each other, and we inevitably wind up resentful of the other. One of the two is going to have to grow a pair of balls and TALK ;)

Sorry, little blunt there, but it's the truth.

Yes, that is what I see. There is the acceptable and the unacceptable evaluation of your emotions, which I find unacceptable :). Seriously, I hope I'm not coming off as negative about ISFJs. I think they're awesome - even more than awesome. There are things which can drive you a little crazy about any person.

I don't think you are. If memory serves, I recall you stating you were involved with one. Anyone willing to sleep with an ISFJ get's an 'A' in my book :smile:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, it's not, but I take issue with this idea that people who don't even know how to properly express their own feelings/know what it is they are really feeling or really want have any business lecturing me on how I'm not "getting" them :dry: It feels to me like they're trying to make their problem mine.

I find it interesting that you use the word "properly". That sounds pretty Fe. If I look at the difference between an INFP and an ISFJ, that Fi/Fe difference is a big one. The other big one I see is Ne being #2 in the stack for the INFP and #4 in the stack for ISFJ (and thus not trusted).

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it interesting that you use the word "properly". That sounds pretty Fe. If I look at the difference between an INFP and an ISFJ, that Fi/Fe difference is a big one. The other big one I see is Ne being #2 in the stack for the INFP and #4 in the stack for ISFJ (and thus not trusted).

I'm sure it is very Fe and to further add another Fe statement: While I understand what you're saying, I don't see how what you said refutes what I said or renders it false or incorrect.

I stand by my statement. If you don't know how or what it is you're feeling and you either don't know or how to articulate or express that emotion in a meaningful way then that's your problem and not mine. I will try to understand and accommodate as best I can, but I'm not a mind reader.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure it is very Fe and to further add another Fe statement: While I understand what you're saying, I don't see how what you said refutes what I said or renders it false or incorrect.

I stand by my statement. If you don't know how or what it is you're feeling and you either don't know or how to articulate or express that emotion in a meaningful way then that's your problem and not mine. I will try to understand and accommodate as best I can, but I'm not a mind reader.

I don't agree. It's just the way someone is. Your comment comes across as not accepting the other person for who they are and saying they should act differently. That would bother an INFP. That would bother me.

If you don't "get" someone or if some people understand other people better than others then that is a simple fact. It is not a negative judgment applied to you.

How well do you think you understand and express your own emotions in a meaningful way? You're an ISFJ Enneagram 9.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't agree. It's just the way someone is. Your comment comes across as not accepting the other person for who they are and saying they should act differently. That would bother an INFP. That would bother me.

If you don't "get" someone or if some people understand other people better than others then that is a simple fact. It is not a negative judgment applied to you.

How well do you think you understand and express your own emotions in a meaningful way? You're an ISFJ Enneagram 9.

You're missing the point. I'm not talking about "accepting someone for as they are" or anything like that. What I'm talking about is a disconnect between how a person really feels about something and how it is they are choosing to express it. If you tell me that you're upset about something but you don't express discontent, I can't be held responsible for that. Your actions need to match your words.

I know this is going to sound incredibly judgmental and Fe-like, but I do believe that, by and large, there is a pretty universal standard for how it is to express and communicate feelings. Some people may do more quietly or more forcefully than others but by and large there are universal traits that everyone recognizes. If you're happy, you smile. If you're angry, you'll scowl or raise your voice or other such examples. Everyone may have their own little pet ways of expressing and doing things (however ambiguous they may or may not be) and everyone has their own eccentricities and in that case it's a matter of understanding that particular individual. But...again, if your actions aren't matching your words, then I can't be blamed for misunderstanding you.

As an ISFJ 9w1 sx/sp, the only times I ever feel like I'm not getting more point across is when I'm afraid of creating conflict and you know what? That's my problem and not the problem the people around me. If they are doing something that can create conflict with me, then I need to speak up and express that it's bother me. If I choose not to do that then I bear full responsibility as I can't reasonably expect them to accomodate me if I don't give them a chance too.

I work in the real estate business and I talk to dozens and dozens of people everyday and they understand me very well. Maybe this is because I'm an SJ, maybe it's because I have mild Asperger's Syndrome, but I am *quite* literal and blunt about my opinions and the only people who seem to have a difficult time understanding me are people who hear the things I say and choose to read things into them that I didn't say.

An exception to everything I've said: If you have some sort of mental or mood disorder. At that point, I don't think it's fair to expect someone to act to be able to understand or express themselves meaningfully as they can't help the fact that their brains aren't working correctly.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about "accepting someone for as they are" or anything like that. What I'm talking about is a disconnect between how a person really feels about something and how it is they are choosing to express it. If you tell me that you're upset about something but you don't express discontent, I can't be held responsible for that. Your actions need to match your words.

I know this is going to sound incredibly judgmental and Fe-like, but I do believe that, by and large, there is a pretty universal standard for how it is to express and communicate feelings. Some people may do more quietly or more forcefully than others but by and large there are universal traits that everyone recognizes. If you're happy, you smile. If you're angry, you'll scowl or raise your voice or other such examples. Everyone may have their own little pet ways of expressing and doing things (however ambiguous they may or may not be) and everyone has their own eccentricities and in that case it's a matter of understanding that particular individual. But...again, if your actions aren't matching your words, then I can't be blamed for misunderstanding you.

I understand what you are saying. There is value in expressing and communicating feelings in a way that other people understand obviously.

The problem is your bolded statement. I'm just stating that ISFJs on average tend to not understand INFPs particularly well (it's half belief/half conjecture). It doesn't assign blame. If the statement is true then it is a simple fact.

The problem with the view you are voicing here is that it is critical of people who don't comply with this "standard" you are referring to. Therefore, those who do not comply with the standard ARE being blamed. By you. It comes across as a negative judgment of the other person vs. understanding and accepting them for who they are.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand what you are saying. There is value in expressing and communicating feelings in a way that other people understand obviously.

Okie dokie. I was starting to wonder if maybe we were discussing two different points altogether and we were talking past each other :)

The problem is your bolded statement. I'm just stating that ISFJs on average tend to not understand INFPs particularly well (it's half belief/half conjecture). It doesn't assign blame. If the statement is true then it is a simple fact.

I won't disagree with that, I've heard that often. The point I tried to make in my very first post and since then is that the problems might not be with ISFJ...it might be because INFPs are unintentionally sending off contradictory or misleading signals. Earlier in the thread it was stated that ISFJs are very good at reading external signals. If this is true, and your ISFJ (whomever it might be) isn't understanding you, then perhaps you may want to consider the problems lies in the signals you're giving off. We're a concrete bunch, we read only what you give us :)

(Though that isn't to say that ISFJs aren't guilty of making false assumptions but that's a whole other thread)

The problem with the view you are voicing here is that it is critical of people who don't comply with this "standard" you are referring to. Therefore, those who do not comply with the standard ARE being blamed. By you. It comes across as a negative judgment of the other person vs. understanding and accepting them for who they are.

Once again you're missing the point. This isn't about "accepting someone for who they are", I realize that everyone has their own quirks and such. This is about expecting consistency in their words and deeds and like it or not there IS a standard, universally recognized set behaviors and and actions in which human beings communicate and connect with each other. As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, I have frequently discovered that *I* misunderstand people and they can initally misunderstand my actions as I miss social ques or other nuances and this has caused me and the people around me a great deal of problems. While I do beg people for their pardons and their understanding when I misunderstand them, I do not believe that they are somehow responsible for the fact that I perceive the world and react to the world differently they do and that somehow they should the magical ability to read my mind. I don't think I'm defective or anything like that, just different, and that's perfectly fine.

But just because I'm different doesn't mean the standard isn't the same or that it somehow doesn't apply to me. For instance, I'm a very quiet, introverted person and people mistake that for disinterest or disapproval of them or whatever activity we may be engaged in. The truth is that I'm actually enjoying myself. It's just that, like a lot Aspergians, we can appear very serious or non-emotional even if we may not be. That being said, are they are fault for making that assumption? To there eyes my behavior reflects what someone who typically IS bored or disinterested acts like, so are they wrong in making that assumption? I don't think they are and I don't blame them for it. It's not their fault that I behave differently than most people normally do. As such, I usually have to explain to them that I have Asperger's and that I'm actually quite content. At that point in time, they can choose to believe me or not at that point it's their choice. My the ones I call my friends usually understand and it's no longer an issue. In fact, they seem to enjoy my presence because I'm different (which a reaction that, to this day, I still don't fully understand)

I realize I stated above that people typically have an easy time understanding me and perhaps I should rephrase that: People have an easy time understanding me insofar as I'm very blunt and direct with my communication and leave very little room for ambiguity unless, as I stated earlier, I'm trying to avoid a conflict. My behaviors and mannerisms to strangers though can send off mixed signals so I'm not surprised hat people can misunderstand me. But again...are they at fault for misunderstanding me? I'm not behaving as people commonly so I expect misunderstandings.It has nothing to do with their not accepting me or anything like, it's that I'm behaving as people normally do and the singals I'm sending off are unintentionally giving them the wrong idea. It's up to me to find a way to communicate to people in a way they understand.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Once again you're missing the point. This isn't about "accepting someone for who they are", I realize that everyone has their own quirks and such. This is about expecting consistency in their words and deeds and like it or not there IS a standard, universally recognized set behaviors and and actions in which human beings communicate and connect with each other. As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, I have frequently discovered that *I* misunderstand people and they can initally misunderstand my actions as I miss social ques or other nuances and this has caused me and the people around me a great deal of problems. While I do beg people for their pardons and their understanding when I misunderstand them, I do not believe that they are somehow responsible for the fact that I perceive the world and react to the world differently they do and that somehow they should the magical ability to read my mind. I don't think I'm defective or anything like that, just different, and that's perfectly fine.

Some types are less emotionally expressive than others. It's just a fact. The ones who are more expressive will better adhere better to your standard. The ones who are less expressive will adhere less to your standard. Therefore, the ones who are less expressive are not acting appropriately and should change. They should comply with these "standards and universally recognized set behaviors and actions" you mentioned. It implies an inherent judgment or bias against this particular type of person who is not doing what they should be doing. They should change their behavior you say. It is within their control. However, it is not easy for them because that is not naturally who they are. Therefore, the person not exhibiting the behavior you've identified feels criticized, judged and therefore not accepted for who they are. Do you understand what I mean? It doesn't matter if you think you are or are not accepting them (though I would argue that you are not). What matters most is whether or not they feel you do.

I think you feel that it's your responsibility to make yourself understood by others. I think most people feel that way though and when they can't, it can be frustrating for them.

There are also people who simply don't know how they feel. I find it particularly curious for this argument to be coming from an ISFJ Enneagram 9 because I don't think a person with a combination of these types would generally be on the high end of the spectrum of understanding how they feel or why. An Fi dom, on average, would tend to have a much better understanding of their own internal states of emotion and how they feel about something. It's what they do. From what I have seen however, on average, they seem to have a harder time expressing those things in a way that is obvious or easy for others to understand.

Can you see how what you are saying creates bias against them? I don't know if I can explain this more clearly because it seems as obvious as the nose on my face.

When I was in college, I went out with an Fi dom (ISFP). I would get frustrated because she didn't express herself and I felt it was important to do that in a relationship. I believe I was critical and thought she should change her behavior. It was quite unfair of me to do that regardless as to what universally applied standard might exist as to how someone is supposed to express themselves. I should have been more patient and accepting of her in that way.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I tend to find a more interesting question to pose myself is what DOESN'T set me apart?

As I progress through my life I find myself becoming increasingly isolated from others and most relations just seem to float about like some passing mist. Then again ive never been one to dwell on the past.

Of course the irony is that there are most likely plenty who do think this way already. So perhaps nothing in particular sets me apart and the only ultimate statement of myself is that when I breathe in oxygen my body, by being slightly different at a minute, genetic level....processes that air in a way wholly unique to the template that is the identity that calls itself 'me' and therefore different from others; that is what sets me apart.

The process of oxygen in a human lung doesn't change, but my lungs are not anothers. Maybe that's all we really have and even then....perhaps that doesn't even exist at all.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
FWIW, I strongly agree with this:

If you don't know how or what it is you're feeling and you either don't know or how to articulate or express that emotion in a meaningful way then that's your problem and not mine.

But disagree with this:

I do believe that, by and large, there is a pretty universal standard for how it is to express and communicate feelings.

Sometimes it's very hard for people with Fi to even identify what their feelings are. It may not be easily expressable, as there may simply be no words or behaviors that accurately portray the nuances of what we are experiencing internally. It's akin to how Si and Ni can be challenging to articulate. In the everyday formal world, we generally do fine at navigating, but it becomes much harder when we are dealing with very important, emotional matters like family and intimate relationships.

So it may be the Fi user's responsibility to express their personal feelings, especially if they expect others to respond to those feelings, but it is not the Fi user's fault that their internal language is not so easily translated to the external world, and as such we may need to ask a little extra patience of Fe users who are much quicker to be able to express what they mean. I often have to ask my ISFJ to be patient with me as I muck through my own feelings. Recently I have taken to Googling pictures or music in an attempt to convey what I lack in words.

The point I tried to make in my very first post and since then is that the problems might not be with ISFJ...it might be because INFPs are unintentionally sending off contradictory or misleading signals.

I think this is worth noting. FPs can unintentionally behave in ways that mean something to Fe users. I think that a lot of that has to do with Fe being purposeful and Fi being less so. Fe always acts with a goal, essentially, and reads Fi users' external language as if it is acted out with a goal in mind, too, even though it often is not.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe always acts with a goal, essentially, and reads Fi users' external language as if it is acted out with a goal in mind, too, even though it often is not.

I wonder if this is the biggest thing that leads to the misunderstandings. I have thought this before.

In either case on the topic of the thread, this difference of Fi as dominant (INFP) vs Fe as auxiliary (for the ISFJ) is a huge difference between the two

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm sorry for butting in here. This thread is so interesting and helpful for me. *takes notes*

I think this is worth noting. FPs can unintentionally behave in ways that mean something to Fe users. I think that a lot of that has to do with Fe being purposeful and Fi being less so. Fe always acts with a goal, essentially, and reads Fi users' external language as if it is acted out with a goal in mind, too, even though it often is not.

Yeeeessss.

This has been one of the two causes (ahem, the one which I'm to blame for) of every major misunderstanding had between my INFP partner and myself. You put it so much more concisely than I've been able to. I almost want to show him your post now.

Sorry. Carry on. :tongue:

eta: dammit. I swear I didn't see highlander's post before writing this. :doh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] I just want to say that you are so lovely, fair and understanding and your ISFJ is really lucky to have you. :hug:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some types are less emotionally expressive than others. It's just a fact.

I'm not disputing this.

The ones who are more expressive will better adhere better to your standard. The ones who are less expressive will adhere less to your standard. Therefore, the ones who are less expressive are not acting appropriately and should change. They should comply with these "standards and universally recognized set behaviors and actions" you mentioned. It implies an inherent judgment or bias against this particular type of person who is not doing what they should be doing. They should change their behavior you say. It is within their control. However, it is not easy for them because that is not naturally who they are. Therefore, the person not exhibiting the behavior you've identified feels criticized, judged and therefore not accepted for who they are. Do you understand what I mean? It doesn't matter if you think you are or are not accepting them (though I would argue that you are not). What matters most is whether or not they feel you do.

Believe it or not, I do get the point you're trying to make. It's constantly zipping past I keep reiterating. I am not and never did state that would should not try to better understand our fellow human beings. I would ask that you please point where in this thread I advocated that we shouldn't try to be understanding each other. That is NOT what I've been stating.

It's not that we shouldn't try to be more accepting or understanding, is thats people should understand that communication is a two way street and that there is only so much I can do. If you are express yourself as clearly as you can and I'm not understanding you then you've done the best you can and it's on me. BUT...

BUT!!!

IF YOU YOURSELF DO UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS YOU FEEL THE WAY IT IS YOU FEEL ABOUT SOMETHING, THAT IS NOT MY PROBLEM. THAT IS ENTIRELY YOURS.

I will try to accommodate and discern your methods as best I can but ultimately it's on you. I've said this a dozen times now and apparently I need to keep repeating myself but: I can only work with the information I've got and you are sending me false or incorrect information because you yourself don't know how it is you really feel about something, it is not fair of you to somehow make that MY issue.

I think you feel that it's your responsibility to make yourself understood by others. I think most people feel that way though and when they can't, it can be frustrating for them.

I know this intimately. Did you not read my blurb about the social misunderstandings I've run into?

There are also people who simply don't know how they feel.

Doubtlessly! They're human, and I empathize with their struggles and I will accommodate as best I can but it is their responsibility to sort their emotions out, not mine.

I find it particularly curious for this argument to be coming from an ISFJ Enneagram 9 because I don't think a person with a combination of these types would generally be on the high end of the spectrum of understanding how they feel or why.

That's probably because I'm not advocating that we shouldn't try to accept or under each other. You created that assumption about me. What I *have* been REPEATEDLY stating is that I can't ultimately be held responsible for people giving me bad signals or information because they themselves are confused and I'm ASKING that people who are in that emotional state of flux (for whatever reason) at least acknowledge that.

An Fi dom, on average, would tend to have a much better understanding of their own internal states of emotion and how they feel about something. It's what they do. From what I have seen however, on average, they seem to have a harder time expressing those things in a way that is obvious or easy for others to understand.

That very well may be true...but I simply fail to understand why that's somehow my problem. Again, I will do my best to accommodate them and try to work with whatever information they can give me, but if I'm not giving them what they want, there is only so much I am willing to take responsibility for but I would ask them to concede that if they themselves don't know how to express this in way that is, as you put it, "easy or obvious for others to understand" then there is truly only so much I can do.

Can you see how what you are saying creates bias against them? I don't know if I can explain this more clearly because it seems as obvious as the nose on my face.

I understand what you're stating but I think this "bias" you're talking about is at best a misunderstanding of what it is I've been trying to say and at worst a red herring.

What prompted this WHOLE mini-debate we'e been having was my response to an INFP stating that her ISFJ mom "didn't get her". I had responded that this was a sediment that I often read about Intuitives who have ISFJ parents and I had stated, (REPEATEDLY NOW) that we can only work with the information we're given and all these Intuitives need to own up to the possibility that they themselves have some responsibility in why this continues to happen.

When I was in college, I went out with an Fi dom (ISFP). I would get frustrated because she didn't express herself and I felt it was important to do that in a relationship. I believe I was critical and thought she should change her behavior. It was quite unfair of me to do that regardless as to what universally applied standard might exist as to how someone is supposed to express themselves. I should have been more patient and accepting of her in that way.

Without knowing WHAT exactly it was she was doing, I would argue that while yes you should have been more understand, SHE had to take the responsibility for her actions and recognize that she herself may have contributed to the relationship's downfall by not knowing what she wanted or how to express herself meaningfully to you. In fact, a lot of relationships break apart precisely because the people involved don't really know what it is.

I really love this one-sided special treatment that you almost seem to be implying that Fi-users should get. As an Fe-user I should have to be more accommodating but they're not required to understand and recognize just how confusing they may be presenting themselves and work to try and better that? Does that seem fair to you?

Sometimes it's very hard for people with Fi to even identify what their feelings are.

I get that, and I suppose this is why Fe-users can get really patronizing to Fi-users because we can tell ;)

It may not be easily expressable, as there may simply be no words or behaviors that accurately portray the nuances of what we are experiencing internally. It's akin to how Si and Ni can be challenging to articulate. In the everyday formal world, we generally do fine at navigating, but it becomes much harder when we are dealing with very important, emotional matters like family and intimate relationships.

I can understand that

So it may be the Fi user's responsibility to express their personal feelings, especially if they expect others to respond to those feelings, but it is not the Fi user's fault that their internal language is not so easily translated to the external world, and as such we may need to ask a little extra patience of Fe users who are much quicker to be able to express what they mean.

I can agree to this and I'm not at all against patience with your partner. What I, as the Fe-user, would request is that the Fi-user equally understand is that we're doing the best we can with the information you're giving us information that's faulty or confusing then I would humbly ask you guys to be patient with us :)

I often have to ask my ISFJ to be patient with me as I muck through my own feelings. Recently I have taken to Googling pictures or music in an attempt to convey what I lack in words.

That sounds incredibly cute :D

If I may make a suggestion: Try describing a scenario in which what you're thinking or feeling about plays out in a real life situation. That could help place your thoughts and feelings in some sort of context.

I think this is ESPECIALLY worth noting and also I personally feel you may have just bridged the Fi-Fe divide ;)

This is what I mean by confusing actions. To you Fi-users your methods expression may be disconnected some some sort of coherent meaning but when we read it, we're trying to assign a pattern to it and...the results aren't always pretty.

Well done dear :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not that we shouldn't try to be more accepting or understanding, is thats people should understand that communication is a two way street and that there is only so much I can do.

Agreed. I don't think anyone is saying that communication isn’t a two way street or critiquing what you can or cannot do.

I will try to accommodate and discern your methods as best I can but ultimately it's on you. I've said this a dozen times now and apparently I need to keep repeating myself but: I can only work with the information I've got and you are sending me false or incorrect information because you yourself don't know how it is you really feel about something, it is not fair of you to somehow make that MY issue.

That very well may be true...but I simply fail to understand why that's somehow my problem. Again, I will do my best to accommodate them and try to work with whatever information they can give me, but if I'm not giving them what they want, there is only so much I am willing to take responsibility for but I would ask them to concede that if they themselves don't know how to express this in way that is, as you put it, "easy or obvious for others to understand" then there is truly only so much I can do.

It's fascinating how you think it should be your issue. I never said it is. I don't think the Fi user thinks it is or should be. Maybe that's part of the problem. It's part of your identity to try and understand other people and if you can't because they are giving out what you perceive to be “confusing signals” then it causes you distress, which is why you keep emphasizing that it's their problem if they can't communicate properly. They don't even think there is a problem lol. They just don't think they are on the same wavelength as you.

What prompted this WHOLE mini-debate we'e been having was my response to an INFP stating that her ISFJ mom "didn't get her". I had responded that this was a sediment that I often read about Intuitives who have ISFJ parents and I had stated, (REPEATEDLY NOW) that we can only work with the information we're given and all these Intuitives need to own up to the possibility that they themselves have some responsibility in why this continues to happen.

Of course. Yes.

Without knowing WHAT exactly it was she was doing, I would argue that while yes you should have been more understand, SHE had to take the responsibility for her actions and recognize that she herself may have contributed to the relationship's downfall by not knowing what she wanted or how to express herself meaningfully to you.

She just had a hard time communicating verbally how she was feeling. She couldn't translate what was going on inside of her head/heart into words. An example of a conversation - me asking questions, her saying a little and me reading mostly her facial expressions. It seems unusual now that I think back on it. It's how she was though and actually, I did get to be pretty good at reading her mind.

I really love this one-sided special treatment that you almost seem to be implying that Fi-users should get. As an Fe-user I should have to be more accommodating but they're not required to understand and recognize just how confusing they may be presenting themselves and work to try and better that? Does that seem fair to you?

This is so funny. I've heard this "one-sided special treatment" many times and I never really quite get it. It’s their responsibility to express themselves in a way so that you can understand them. If they can’t, then it’s a problem because they are confusing and it’s important because you want to understand them. I think it’s a lot more important to you that you understand them than it is for them to be understood by you.

I’m not trying to give you a hard time. I just think the whole way you think about the issue is interesting and completely illustrative of the difference between Fe and Fi, so thanks for participating in the dialogue.