• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] How to be a better SJ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Honestly, I wouldn't use this forum as an accurate reflection of what most SJs are like. If SJs are the majority of the population then I don't have problems with the majority of the population. If I ever find myself having problems with most people then I'd think there's something about myself that needs to change. I'm not saying that I don't have problems with some SJs but usually it's some other issue at work, not their inherent SJness.

Honestly you are one of the first guys on this forum, that really has a plan to life. There is all that analytical NT thinkig and analyzing but no one really can work with it, for it is the gods only that understand.

What you are talking about is humanism (and believe me, my people learned alot about humanism after 2 wars :)) and humanisam means that there is a distinct line on which you must move to communicate with people. That is not resulting out of conformism but out of the difference human beings have to each other.

An in depth analysis of a human being is logically possible, but there is one disticnt flaw that no logic can comprehend. Entropy.

You can think of one human in all the Ni/Te/Fe ways you want, but you will only scratch the surface. NT rationals are to be concerned with scientific systems, not with humanistic. We have to present ideas, not solutions, cause we are not in the business of soluting.

That whole MBTI Test is one hell of an idea. It's coherent and rarely fails. But it really narrows people in that seem to had a grip on the entropic world.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm pretty sure NTs would sell their chances of getting along with most people for a chance at knowledge.

ooops, most of us have already!

Being a better SJ -- umm, have you noticed anything that's really bothering the people around you that you've only been doing 'just because'? Also... take care of yourself. I know a lot of people who are probably SJ who do not take care of their own health. They're too busy trying to save the world from disorganization that they don't pay enough attention to themselves. So, umm, take care of yourself.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm pretty sure NTs would sell their chances of getting along with most people for a chance at knowledge.

ooops, most of us have already!

Being a better SJ -- umm, have you noticed anything that's really bothering the people around you that you've only been doing 'just because'? Also... take care of yourself. I know a lot of people who are probably SJ who do not take care of their own health. They're too busy trying to save the world from disorganization that they don't pay enough attention to themselves. So, umm, take care of yourself.

SJs have that work hard, party hard, then work even harder mentality. Relaxation and self-reflection are super-important. I had a friend into TM show me some meditation techniques the other day. It was very nice. I am an inveterate multitasker, so doing nothing but relaxing and listening to myself breathe was different for me, and very pleasant.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the excellent advice. You've given me a lot to think about for the next few days.

I know now that I'm not stuck in my ISTJ box. Just need to exercise my inferior functions a little more.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
So u wanna be a better SJ?

Step 1: Be more like me

:cool:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you become a healthier SJ? Just by reading these posts recently I've discovered those nitpicky stereotypical things that other types don't like about SJs...too task-oriented, tend to micromanage, too focused, etc, and I've tried to be more laid-back and less controlling. But I don't really feel like "myself" when I do that!

I'm not against a person wanting to improve themselves if that's what they want to do but keep in mind that there are other types who are complimentary to yours. Nobody's perfect.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
dnivera, I wouldn't take the posts written on this forum as a baseline for self-judgment. To that end, I agree with athenian's first post. There are some dark undercurrents flowing beneath the happy-go-lucky exterior of this forum that sort of tip the scales where the equality of types are concerned.

Secondly, "ISTJ" by itself does not mean much. Instead of asking to be a better SJ and therefore a subscriber to stereotype, you might consider thinking outside the MBTI and consider your qualities, strengths and weaknesses regardless of how they (and by extension you) fit into the ISTJ mold. Do not rely on external opinion overmuch for personal, internal growth -- instead self-examine yourself and reach your own conclusions about what you should improve about yourself.

+1

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How to be a better SJ?

I think you should just accept yourself as you are. Do not try to change in order to please others. Do improve yourself if YOU see it is necessary. But the main thing is to accept yourself with your good and not so good traits.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Relax, let your hair down, and stop being so hard on yourself and others.

heart

heart on fire
BUT....Are SJ really being hard on themselves or just doing what feels natural and good for themselves? Sincere question. P types might assume that SJ feel strain or pressure under their J ways, but do they really? Or is it what makes them actually feel more relaxed, secure and happy?

I know my mother gained great pleasure and satisfaction from knowing the towels all faced the same direction in the linen closet and that all the clothes faced the same way in the closet. I could not understand why this was, but it sure seemed to give her a feeling of all being right with the world. I am not sure there was much she could do to change her view on that, it just seemed natural to her. The only problem I had with it of course was her feeling it her right to impose such rituals on me. lol.