• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs, special connection with animals?

A

A_priori

Hello ISTJs, I was just wondering if you guys find it a lot easier to connect with animals over people. My step mom is an ISTJ and she is very connected with her dog and other animals. She is not much of a social but she seems to have this special connection with animals. How do you guys feel this relates?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That ISTJs-and-dogs story has appeared several times on here. :D I feel it's true, too, but who knows?

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Dogs love me, its a little disturbing since I am to be fair grumpy and they always seem happy when I am around.

Ever since I was a kid, dogs, big and small follow me around and insist I play with them.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'd absolutely say this is true. I like animals. I'm good with animals. Animals tend to like me. My dog is my best friend in the world and I love her dearly.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Usually when I go to someone's house for the first time, their pets form a bond with me quite quickly. :) It's nice.

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
I am bothered by how dogs appear so desperate for approval. I don't see it as friendliness.

But, equally bothering is how endearing I find animals when I am alone with them to spend any sort of time. Otherwise, in public to show my affection would be quite uncomfortable.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello ISTJs, I was just wondering if you guys find it a lot easier to connect with animals over people. My step mom is an ISTJ and she is very connected with her dog and other animals. She is not much of a social but she seems to have this special connection with animals. How do you guys feel this relates?

Sounds like my mom - who is almost certainly IxTJ (not sure of her type - she honestly seems like a strange ISTJ/INTJ hybrid.) She doesn't connect that easily with a lot of people and has told me she wishes she had my social skills or tolerance for other people - but she has a weird connection with animals, dogs in particular. They just absolutely adore her. It's like she speaks their language - I've seen dogs who were shy or unfriendly with most people be absolutely devoted to her within minutes. She loves a lot of other animals too.

Perhaps for an IxTJ, animals are a way of approaching emotions and mushy loviness, but the animal doesn't put the demands on you that a human would? :D Not sure.

Burger King

Sounds like my mom - who is almost certainly IxTJ (not sure of her type - she honestly seems like a strange ISTJ/INTJ hybrid.) She doesn't connect that easily with a lot of people and has told me she wishes she had my social skills or tolerance for other people - but she has a weird connection with animals, dogs in particular. They just absolutely adore her. It's like she speaks their language - I've seen dogs who were shy or unfriendly with most people be absolutely devoted to her within minutes. She loves a lot of other animals too.

Perhaps for an IxTJ, animals are a way of approaching emotions and mushy loviness, but the animal doesn't put the demands on you that a human would? :D Not sure.

This is very spot on. At least it's similar to how my mom works. I think she's ISTJ. She doesn't get along with others so well, just a means to an end it seems. But when it comes to animals...she's so different with them.

A

A_priori

You know it's strange because at a glance my step mom "the ISTJ" tends to come quite dissconected. She is quite, reclusive, and the majority of her time she spends doing things independently. She likes to have her own space but at the same time she needs to know how much we care, after that she wants to be left alone again lol. It wasn't untill I became a little older and started to take a deeper look at who she was as a person that i came to appreciate all of her many qualities. I guess in a lot of the ways she is the queen of our household. She is always a step ahead of everyone when it comes to making a reservation or booking a flight. She is so organized and incredibly calculated that she often tells me when the last time I had a dental cleaning. I think there is so much to be said for ISTJs in terms of charictoristics and you guys really deserve so much credit. A very intresting set of functions to have indeed.

One last thing "back on topic" We have this cat that lives next door who will not come to anyone, yesterday my step mom was watering the grass and the cat was following her around and laying on the hood of her car. I seriously don't get it lol.. She just has a certain vibe I guess?? To funny!

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Kids and animals like me like kids under the age of 5. My niece is 1 and a half and she smiles everytime she sees me. I don't really like kids though they are pretty annoying.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I thought the animal relationship was a bleeding heart 'F' thing.

I like animals... but I would rather not own one. Whenever I go to a new friends' house, as hard as I push the animals away, their pets (especially dogs) make a bee line straight for me and it's like an automatic best friend thing. After that, I have a hard time getting said animal to leave me alone. It's very strange.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I like dogs more than people, for sure.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Dogs are very loyal and steadfast.

My dad is a sucker for pets. He didn't want a dog because he had one as a child and was so heart broken when it died. He has a hard time putting them to sleep even when it's time.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
ISTJs move more cautiously, make less noise and are generally more calm than other times. This is why animals aren less afraid of ISTJs. Or maybe we just have a fancy aura animals like.

I never had a dog before I moved into my girlfriend's apartment. Now there's two of them (+ puppies), and they're so great. I've always had respect for dogs, mostly because of their loyalty and docileness.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
ISTJs move more cautiously, make less noise and are generally more calm than other times. This is why animals aren less afraid of ISTJs.

I hadn't considered this. This makes a lot of sense. I imagine movements that are more aggressive are really unsettling to animals - especially those who have more of a 'prey animal' nature.

T

The Iron Giant

I've never considered myself a dog person, but I had them in the house most of the time when I was growing up. I've generally preferred cats, but after a string of poorly behaved ones, I've stopped having either. I had a dog that was really fantastic a few years ago, he died in 2009.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
bunnies and bears.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTJs move more cautiously, make less noise and are generally more calm than other times. This is why animals aren less afraid of ISTJs. Or maybe we just have a fancy aura animals like.
This makes a lot of sense. I think domesticated animals like people who are calm, confident, and patient, and unlikely to shock/surprise them (e.g. with sudden movements). ISTJs seem to fit that bill.
I've always had respect for dogs, mostly because of their loyalty and docileness.
I've tried to like dogs, for this reason. But I didn't grow up with them and I'm almost never around them, so I don't understand them as well as I understand cats. Also, I'm confident enough with cats to give off the vibe described earlier in the post. (My INTP dad is like this too, though my INFJ mom is not.) I have an intuitive understanding of cats and make fast friends with almost every cat I encounter -- with the exception of highly socialized/highly apathetic cats, e.g. cats that live in stores/businesses.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah.. animals like me.. But I prefer reasonable people. Or girls.
But well behaved animals are fine in my book. And I will kindly tolerate them.