• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] What is Sensation? (SJ version)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Disclaimer:

(I've made the same topic in the SP sub-forum. However, since I'm interested into everyday life, personal examples, I would be curious to notice if there are differences between the way SP and SJ types use their Sensory functions)

---

Hello, you Sensors! :hi:

You know, as an ENTP, I have a very dominant Ne, an average Ni, a poor Se and an almost non-existent Si.
I am quite familiar with the MBTI theory, but there's a mystery I'd like you to help me solve.

Each time I read Sensor functions descriptions, I notice the grammar and spelling of the sentences are correct, but I simply can't understand the meaning of this.
I repeat the words, repeat them over and over again, I try to figure them out, but they seem hollow, alien, without any meaning. It seems I'm unable to catch what Si or Se really are. The more I try, the less successful I am. I can't connect, I can't relate.

I have no problem to understand what "I" or "F", or "J" means, but agains, "S" is... like if someone would come from another galaxy. And it's incredibly frustrating.

---

I have noticed the classic contempt against S types: they are supposed to be "loud" or "less intelligent", or such bullshit. I do not agree at all with this, and I see such arrogance from fellow Ns as very annoying (almost as annoying as the way NT's often think they are inherently superior to everybody). :steam:
I'd rather think "S" is simply another form of intelligence.

I'm an extrovert, and sometimes, my tertiary Fe allows me to catch trends my Ti would have never noticed. So that's why I'm asking you to describe what "S" means for you, Se or Si, with your own words, with your own sensations, preferably with actual, everyday life examples.
How does it work? What is your perception of it?

Thank you. :)

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I love soaking in everything in my environment. I love observing the things around me. I love sitting on my back porch watching the leaves blow in the wind, listening to the birds twitter, and smelling the air. I could do this for probably an hour without getting bored. I read what some of the SPs wrote, and I agree that I can be walking along talking to someone, and I'll just have to point out some of the things I see around me. Though, I don't think it's like I'm blurting out completely random stuff - I can follow the conversation too. It's just like a little "parenthesis" in the conversation or something. I've noticed that some of the type profiles talk about people "getting lost in their thoughts" and I hardly ever do that, and I don't understand why anyone would want to. I'm always aware of what's around me, unless I'm at work and really concentrating on something I have to get done, then sometimes I "tune out" other stuff.

Not sure if that helps...but nobody had posted anything here yet, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Something else to add...

I'm new to this stuff, but I don't think Sensation is all about "feeling the wind in your hair and the sand under your feet" etc. I think it also has to do with more practical aspects of life as well. For example, it might have something to do with why I always have to try on an outfit before I buy it, to see exactly what it looks like and how it feels. And I am much more comfortable doing something after I have done it at least once before. I enjoy learning by actually doing things hands-on or at least having a model or picture to help visualize it. That's not to say I can't learn other ways, I just enjoy "hands-on" the most.

As I mentioned, I'm new to this, so I'm not actually sure if any of this is related to the "S"...just throwing it out there to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Hmm...

This thread in itself is a bit annoying. People who prefer the sensing type approach are not another species; their preferences are just more focused on sensing. For instance, as an INTJ I can and do get along incredibly well with ISTJs. In the IT world and business analysis we are great complements.. As an example I have ideas about what we could do if I could extract the information from various informational sources and the techie ISTJ knows how to do it.

The ISTJ could think laterally but prefers to go vertical into detail because invariably they are better at it, doesn't mean they aren't probably better than many Intuitives at conceptualising (There is nothing worse than a second rate Intuitive that has rubbish ideas and can't implement). Just as I an INTJ can do the detail but I'm better at lateral thinking as it seems a rarer commodity in the IT world when coupled with highly detailed analytics.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
People who prefer the sensing type approach are not another species; their preferences are just more focused on sensing.

I agree.

Also, are sensors always "techies"? I don't work in an IT or accounting department and I do just fine. I don't think S's are limited to "technical" fields. I for one, am quite capable of thinking of new ideas and strategies. I don't do it unless I have to because thinking of the strategy is simply not as much fun and not as satisfying for me as following it through, making it work, or turning it into a reality...for me at least. I just "prefer" one over the other.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Hmm here's how my Si works:

I have a constant running dialogue going on in my head...it never stops. It often manifests itself in sarcastic comments, things I need to do or am planning on doing, funny things that happened, stupid things I/others did/said, and any other number of things. Often, I replay dialogues and situations in my head (generally in past tense....I don't often envision "what could have been," although I do pick apart things that were said, and perhaps how I should have phrased things better). When I am alone, this internal dialogue may become vocal and I talk out my ideas. I know SJ's are stereotypically married to their calendars and schedule books, but the only calendar I own is on my cell phone. I might write stuff down on a piece of paper, but I don't do that whole "I'll pencil you in" type of deal. I mentally remember what's important to me and I'm good at prioritizing things for efficiency.

I have a pretty poor sense of direction, but if I've been to a place I won't forget it and can visualize and piece it together in my mind like a picture, but I have to really take notice of my surroundings to be able to do this. If I am the passenger in your car I will likely pay no attention at all to where we are going...and if we are walking somewhere I have a tendency to look at the ground or at little details along the way. Once we're there, I will have no idea where we are or how to get back (lucky for me, I'm good with maps). Sometimes I miss the big picture and only see the little details. For instance, I can't tell you a darn thing about history, but I remember that shortly after the discovery of the Americas people were eating tomatoes (an acidic food) off of pewter plates...which caused a chemical reaction therefore making many people very sick (often killing them). That is why the tomato was considered a posionous food for awhile. I can recall ridiculous minute details about things because I think they're interesting and commit them to memory.

If you're trying to teach me to do something, like BeBecky said, let me do it myself. I much prefer hands-on learning. I have a good sense of coordination and quick reflexes.

I love being outside in nature...I think it's very relaxing and beautiful...although, I am not a big fan of fire ants.

And yes, BeBecky, I can relate to a lot of the things you wrote above. Welcome, by the way...it's nice to have another female ISTJ around :)

MEC

Disclaimer:

(I've made the same topic in the SP sub-forum. However, since I'm interested into everyday life, personal examples, I would be curious to notice if there are differences between the way SP and SJ types use their Sensory functions)

---

Hello, you Sensors! :hi:

You know, as an ENTP, I have a very dominant Ne, an average Ni, a poor Se and an almost non-existent Si.
I am quite familiar with the MBTI theory, but there's a mystery I'd like you to help me solve.

Each time I read Sensor functions descriptions, I notice the grammar and spelling of the sentences are correct, but I simply can't understand the meaning of this.
I repeat the words, repeat them over and over again, I try to figure them out, but they seem hollow, alien, without any meaning. It seems I'm unable to catch what Si or Se really are. The more I try, the less successful I am. I can't connect, I can't relate.

I have no problem to understand what "I" or "F", or "J" means, but agains, "S" is... like if someone would come from another galaxy. And it's incredibly frustrating.

---

I have noticed the classic contempt against S types: they are supposed to be "loud" or "less intelligent", or such bullshit. I do not agree at all with this, and I see such arrogance from fellow Ns as very annoying (almost as annoying as the way NT's often think they are inherently superior to everybody). :steam:
I'd rather think "S" is simply another form of intelligence.

I'm an extrovert, and sometimes, my tertiary Fe allows me to catch trends my Ti would have never noticed. So that's why I'm asking you to describe what "S" means for you, Se or Si, with your own words, with your own sensations, preferably with actual, everyday life examples.
How does it work? What is your perception of it?

Thank you. :)
:hi:I am a ISFJ/P,I like facts I am a now person.:)My S gets on well with the Ts:yes:but my F doesn't :cry:.I think you find the I Ss aren't as loud as the E Ss:party2: but Ts and Js are outspoken too with or without Es. :headphne:Not the example you asked for :doh:but my observations.:blush:

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I once tried weed and although I didn't really like its effects, it was amazing how in tune it got me with my sensing functions. I spent a long time enjoying vivid colors and just listening to the sound of voices, and I was especially intrigued by light and shadows. It was also strange because I could recall things I had not thought about for years in vivid detail. But the after effect was it slowed me down for about a week. Anyways, I've found I can duplicate the effects of sensing by meditating and turning my awareness outward.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Would you allow a fellow ENTP to participate, Blackmail? :)

I'm rather nicely in the flow of Se at the moment, in my opinion. For me, Se is a skill of dismissing a step of cognition between observation and reaction. (Edit: Or better yet, integrating the observation and the reaction to one step, so that it becomes much more immediate.)

I have experience from having learned to act immediately in different skills that draw their power from different cognitive functions. Thought has always come immediately to me, as well as imagination. I can't remember what's the first and what's the second. Thought doesn't involve "steps" for me. It is a unitary operation. Of course, many thoughts can be put together to attain a combined operation.

Eloquent speaking was a second class of abilities that became immediate for me at some age. It doesn't involve any "steps" for me, anymore. I just speak, and what I speak is good for almost any occasion: giving a speech in in a wedding, or persuading a person to give an interview for me. Of course, I can put in some steps in there to give a more refined speech, but it isn't at all needed for mostly anything.

You can notice when something involves "steps" or not.

For me, Se is acting in the physical world without thinking of "steps" to be done.

Perhaps with an intermediary level of skill, like with me as recently as few months ago, I would plan my physical actions in "chunks" and be able to act "immediately" in my physical enviroment for a limited time, provided that I didn't run out of know-how about how to behave in the situation. If I were to act immediately for a prolonged period of time, I would run out of information on how to act, and I'd be restricted to a limited "vocabulary" of physical things to do. I'm still no pro, but I think I'm close to S-N border at the moment.

So, without good Se, acting in the physical world has to be a planned operation, possibly involving steps of cognition, delaying the immediacy of action.

With good Se, a person is an empiricist par excellence, testing everything as it goes, never having to go to read a book to handle a situation. They'll just test and act their way through, with actions coming effortlessly from perceptions.

onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree.

Also, are sensors always "techies"? I don't work in an IT or accounting department and I do just fine. I don't think S's are limited to "technical" fields. I for one, am quite capable of thinking of new ideas and strategies. I don't do it unless I have to because thinking of the strategy is simply not as much fun and not as satisfying for me as following it through, making it work, or turning it into a reality...for me at least. I just "prefer" one over the other.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

i have several ESTJ/ISTJ friends, and they do have this capability. but, just like you they also "prefer one over the other."

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
FS = clean that up dumbshit assbag
TS = Grand Hand Ouvert

iS = that tastes like my mom made it
eS = "catch me I am jumping thrrrrouuuuuuuugh"

Sj = 16th dimension ? Go, grab another beer for us two
Sp = I like, I need to fuck anything right now

----