• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ever accidentally press Ctrl + Alt + Down arrow key?

I tried it and nothing happened! :( What mysterious task are these keys supposed to accomplish?

giphy.gif

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Medical studies are almost always bogus

For any study to have legitimacy, it must be replicated, yet only half of medical studies celebrated in newspapers hold water under serious follow-up scrutiny — and about two-thirds of the “sexiest” cutting-edge reports, including the discovery of new genes linked to obesity or mental illness, are later “disconfirmed.”

Meanwhile, Dr. Ioannidis followed 49 studies that had been cited at least a thousand times — of which seven had been “flatly contradicted” by further research. This included one that claimed estrogen and progestin benefited women after hysterectomies “when in fact the drug combination increased the risk of heart disease and breast cancer.”

I've seen many contradictory studies on cholesterol, saturated fats, and Vitamin C. The article discusses several possibilites for why this is: lack of funding, pressure to publish, and "science is hard", lol. It leaves out one major cause: agenda driven biases. For example, the drug companies routinely publish bogus studies on antidepressants; they all know that antidepressants don't work, but they find ways to publish positive results (eg: by cherry picking data).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Medical studies are almost always bogus

I've seen many contradictory studies on cholesterol, saturated fats, and Vitamin C. The article discusses several possibilites for why this is: lack of funding, pressure to publish, and "science is hard", lol. It leaves out one major cause: agenda driven biases. For example, the drug companies routinely publish bogus studies on antidepressants; they all know that antidepressants don't work, but they find ways to publish positive results (eg: by cherry picking data).

Every of your thought, is like a harmonious shit from my after :)

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Irony

me, in school: theory theory theory. hmmtheory
prof: you're good at theory
prof2: that's very theoretical
me, bullshitting a paper: i know nothing about what the professor said, but i know the theory, so theory theory theory
paper: congrats, you get a 2.0

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
... it looks like i can probably finish 20 pages in german since I already have six pages unformatted just from rambling about Warenfetischismus. Grammar and quality is another matter.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Don't buy fly swatters over the internet. I got some highly rated ones that suck; the plastic flap at the end was much too thick and inflexible and if you do hit the fly, it obliterates it and leaves a black gooey stain on the wall.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Happy Mothers Day to all the awesome moms out there.

Here's a touching tribute to a mom from an ESPN host:

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
If religious people grew up with Spinoza's idea of the world and religion... That'd be a much better world.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
sees username

.... 'reading that is gonna be a waste of my time'

you know what's not a waste of my time? coming here to bs about it because literally anything else is better. :D

...tho i really gotta go SOON

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We haven't had any random thoughts in a while, have we?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
...a few months later "WAIT WERE THEY HITTING ON ME????" - clueless istj

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...a few months later "WAIT WERE THEY HITTING ON ME????" - clueless istj

^ been there. recently. :doh:

Snickie

also not a cat
MBTI Type
InTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Probable type for a child who reacts this way to a new food:
"Eeeeew, I don't like it, I've never tried it."

????

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I've heard it tastes quite nice. Never had it before though - might try it one day.

It's interesting, to say the least, if you don't mind the smell.
There are durian pastries and ice cream if you just want an idea of what it tastes like...... ...
But also, the best (most expensive) durians are also the best. It's actually, come to think of it, quite wide in variety.