• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Good things?

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What are some good things about ISTJs? Apparently I am one, and all I've found so far says that we're rigid, rulezy, serious, boring, super-organized, and hate everyone else who doesn't do things their way. I don't think I'm like that :cry: ...are there any good traits? Maybe I got that side of the deal ;)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
What I like about the ISTJ's I know, is that they never let you down. Moreover they have a good eye for simplifying and streamlining.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. simple and direct.. (not doubts left to the other)
2. loyal
3. dedicated
4. commitment oriented
5. good sense of humor (loves to laugh)
6. deeply compassionate (when they approve of course) to the point of being taken advantage of in fact.
7. strong work ethic
8. quick with decisions (right or wrong not an issue)
9. dependable and their word, if given, is good
10. usually good "providers" and "family people"
11. oddly enough, tend to live and let live
12. trusting.. meaning they see others as "good" unless they prove otherwise

Edit: using hubby as an example

Edit: forgot one.... spontaneous with a capital SSSS!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
We're loyal and dependable. Two very important traits IMO. :cheers:

How do you feel about yourself? Do you feel "rulezy" and rigid? I think to people we don't know well we can come off as too serious or stand-offish but at least with myeslf, I know we're capable of being silly and enjoyable when we're comfortable with someone.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well...first off, I feel like the people who don't really know me have the wrong impression of me. I do think they see me as quiet, serious, and a no-nonesense kind of person. But, most of them are at my office, and I work with a lot of deadlines there, so I'm always having to nag them about turning in their stuff.

As for my view of myself, I know I have plenty of fun. I'm quite talkative and friendly if I trust you, and I'm not always focused on the things I have to do. I'm always aware of them, but I can push them aside and do other more fun stuff if I feel like it. (Like right now, I'm wriing this instead of doing the laundry...oh wait, I finished the laundry, nevermind. d'oh!). Nonetheless, I believe that having fun and enjoying yourself is an important part of life, so I make it a priority along with the things on the "to do" list.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I guess most of it fits =) I know I'm loyal and dependable. However, I don't make decisions quickly, unless it's something I'm just absolutely sure about. You can find out more about me in the "Who Am I?" thread under "Welcomes and Introductions" too.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Oh yeah, and I'm not too sure about the compassionate part either. I'd like to be, but I don't think I actually am most of the time.

AfterHours

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The three istjs that I knew of were different from each other, but I found all of them to have good qualities: dark sense of humor, very intelligent, good taste in music/(more mainstream)movies, generally open-minded, if conservative in their own lives. Perhaps these aren't stereotypical of an istj but I don't think type is everything to do with it.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh yeah, and I'm not too sure about the compassionate part either. I'd like to be, but I don't think I actually am most of the time.

So you don't continutally overlook/forgive family and friends for bad behavior... some reeeally bad behavior?

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I dunno...it depends how close we are I guess. I'm not sure how to answer that.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
They are very good at what they do. At least my step-mom is. I don't think she makes mistakes ever.

ygolo

My termites win
Yes. The ones I've known tend to be very thorough, yet timely, in almost everything they do.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The three istjs that I knew of were different from each other, but I found all of them to have good qualities: dark sense of humor, very intelligent, good taste in music/(more mainstream)movies, generally open-minded, if conservative in their own lives. Perhaps these aren't stereotypical of an istj but I don't think type is everything to do with it.
I like my taste in music and movies. I like to think it's pretty good. :nice:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Am I the only ISTJ that procrastinates?

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I procrastinate too, depending on what it is. There are some things that I repeatedly plan to do and know I need to do, but I still put them off because I just don't feel like doing them.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
they're reliable. Calm and patient. :) And they tend to be remarkably chatty once they like you.

BeBecky

MBTI Type
ISFJ
they're reliable. Calm and patient. :) And they tend to be remarkably chatty once they like you.

Yeah, I wish more people knew that I am actually quite talkative and fun once you get to know me. I feel like people think I'm just quiet and serious and boring all the time.

lastrailway

What are some good things about ISTJs? Apparently I am one, and all I've found so far says that we're rigid, rulezy, serious, boring, super-organized, and hate everyone else who doesn't do things their way. I don't think I'm like that :cry: ...are there any good traits? Maybe I got that side of the deal ;)

I know several ISTJs and I think, what you mention are not necessarily negative traits.
Rigid, with the rule-book and serious at work, as it should be, but most are willing to have some fun time. So, they can be or not boring, depending on the situation and the particular person.
Super-organised: how the heck is this any negative? If they don't try to apply their organisation skills in every single aspect of their lives (and real life people usually don't), it's an admirable trait.
I think any healthy ISTJ can be as ok as anybody else. And I've hardly met any people in real life that totally meet their MBTI stereotypes, most people are more balanced than that.
That said, I usually have various conflicts with all Js, at work, and that despite being relatively organised myself. Many have a tendency to insist their way is the best possible way to do things, but that's ok, since I can understand their perspective (and not because they're being Js, but cause they are people, with preferences, just as anybody else) and don't let myself be bothered of this.