• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] My theory on why SJs are perceived as closed minded

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
actually, a lot of people have approached me in the past. apparently my personality is very entertaining and charismatic, but I found their attention offensive, so I shoooed them away. I don't relate to any aspect type 6 that I've read about, especially counterphobic 6. 6s have a reputation for being nervous and when they do show aggression, it's of an extremely personal nature. when I'm aggressive, it's cold as ice, relatively emotionless and cut throat.

wow, Elfboy. Then we're so lucky that you're even responding to our offensive posts, how do you stand peasants like us? :rolli:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wow, Elfboy. Then we're so lucky that you're even responding to our offensive posts, how do you stand peasants like us? :rolli:

I was simply replying to what I thought was misinformation, let's please be civil and not resort to ad homanim. that being said, I am curious to hear your rational opinion on why you believe I am an ISFJ counter phobic 6

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
*inclined

*hominem

*avoid mocking by stopping inviting it

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
noted, but once again I fail to see the relevance

Life Tip: If you go around acting like you're better than other people, keep two things in mind: cover your glaring mistakes better and expect retaliation.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was simply replying to what I thought was misinformation, let's please be civil and not resort to adhomanim. that being said, I am curious to hear your rational opinion on why you believe I am an ISFJ counter phobic 6

* ad hominem. No business to be condescending if you can't spell. :newwink:

Anyway, I honestly don't even know you, so I'm just going by the posts I've seen of yours. I'm just saying that your communication style and attitude reminds me a lot of several confirmed ISFJs.

Now as for the cp 6, you seem to get off on the idea of being 8ish - aggressive, unemotional, whatever. A lot of cp 6's practically masturbate to the idea of being a big, tough, "Teh Boss" 8, and they tend to be in denial, because they don't like facing their own neuroses, or if knowledgeable of enneagrams, the idea of being a 6. It doesn't have the same glamour that being a 7 or an 8 has.

You seem to waver a lot, too - kind of bending to pressure and as EJCC put it, backpedaling. It's like you start these threads knowing you'd stir shit up, and then giving everyone big smiles, like "Oh no no no, I didn't mean it like thaaaat. C'mon guys." Very counterphobic sixish. They challenge, but then appease.

I can also buy you as a 7w6. But an 8? No. A 3? No.

But like I said, it's just my guess. I don't know you.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Life Tip: If you go around acting like you're better than other people, keep two things in mind: cover your glaring mistakes better and expect retaliation.

I rather enjoy a little productive retaliation, it can be a great learning experience, but most of the time people just resort to hominem (thankyou for the spell check) and bring up semantic, inconsequential data and illogical points
PS: why has the subject of this thread become about how Elfboy thinks he's superior. a more accurate title for this thread would be "Elfboy, the truth being his Conspirings and True Intentions"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No business to be condescending if you can't spell. :newwink:

It's like you start these threads knowing you'd stir shit up, and then giving everyone big smiles, like "Oh no no no, I didn't mean it like thaaaat. C'mon guys."

Dear Most Elevated Elfboy, Dictator of Delusionville, your questions should be succinctly answered by these two elucidating quotes by none other than MrCockburn.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I rather enjoy a little productive retaliation, it can be a great learning experience, but most of the time people just resort to hominem (thankyou for the spell check) and bring up semantic, inconsequential data and illogical points
PS: why has the subject of this thread become about how Elfboy thinks he's superior. a more accurate title for this thread would be "Elfboy, the truth being his Conspirings and True Intentions"

Because when you make threads about YOUR perception of something, expect your perception to be scrutinized just as much as the item of your perception.

Kind of a "it takes two to tango" sort of deal, as well. You kinda shot yourself in the foot when you went on your little rampage about how you find most people low-class idiots.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyway, I'm bored of this now. Mucho paz.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
* ad hominem. No business to be condescending if you can't spell. :newwink:

Anyway, I honestly don't even know you, so I'm just going by the posts I've seen of yours. I'm just saying that your communication style and attitude reminds me a lot of several confirmed ISFJs.

Now as for the cp 6, you seem to get off on the idea of being 8ish - aggressive, unemotional, whatever. A lot of cp 6's practically masturbate to the idea of being a big, tough, "Teh Boss" 8, and they tend to be in denial, because they don't like facing their own neuroses, or if knowledgeable of enneagrams, the idea of being a 6. It doesn't have the same glamour that being a 7 or an 8 has.

You seem to waver a lot, too - kind of bending to pressure and as EJCC put it, backpedaling. It's like you start these threads knowing you'd stir shit up, and then giving everyone big smiles, like "Oh no no no, I didn't mean it like thaaaat. Very counterphobic sixish. They challenge, but then appease.

But like I said, it's just my guess. I don't know you.

thankyou for your opinion. if you reread the original post, it should be clear that this thread was not designed for this purpose. the problem is that if you stur anything up, self congratulate yourself even once or express interests in class and sophistication, then people make the black and white, ignorant generalization that that's all you do and think about (which certainly has been the case with a few people on this thread, my goodness).
as for your analysis:
- I find conflict someone refreshing, wavering is not something I make a habit of doing. I do do a lot of "no, you're accusing me of X, but really I do Y which you're misinterpreting as X" and "I worded X poorly so perhaps it sounded like Y", but this isn't wavering, it's an attempt towards clear communication, which I am a little hit and miss on.
- you nailed me on the 8, which the subtle distinction that I value being a bad ass as opposed to being "tough" as you put it. I also have great respect for the courage of 8s, the more afraid they get, the more powerful and courageous they become
- however, the emotional part was way off. 8s and especially 6s are much more emotional than me. my lack of emotions and detachment borders on sociopathic sometimes lol

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like the tendency of people on this forum to go "Yeah, there are some nice/creative/open-minded SJs in the world, but most of them aren't." Everyone can be closed-minded!! The most closed-minded people I know are NOT SJs, but are types that are not stereotyped as being closed-minded, e.g. INTJs and ENFPs!

+1

Okay, I've dealt with people venting at me for years on this forum, so it's time for me to vent back.

One of the main reasons why I'm on this forum at all is to help people understand my type. And I've seen people on this forum write things along the lines of "EJCC is a good example of a well-adjusted ESTJ, which makes her an exception to the rule, because most ESTJs are dictatorial assholes who never listen to an opposing opinion." And that just kills me. I am not the exception to a general rule! Consider all the SJs on this forum! Would you consider them to be closed-minded? I certainly wouldn't.

+1 again! The ESTJs I know can be tough at work but they're good people and more than willing to listen to my ideas. Then again, being an SJ myself, I guess I just know how to talk to them? :shrug:

As for me though, I'm just on this forum because I like the people on it. A lot of people seem to have had bad experiences with ISFJs so I just try to take this as a learning experience to see possible weak areas within myself and to see if I can improve them.

The people who REALLY strike me as closed-minded here are the people who hate on SJs. This includes many of the people on this thread. And they are - guess what? - SPs, NTs and NFs. There are a LOT of NTs on this forum who are ridiculously closed-minded in that regard. And even though you'd think that those hyper-rational NTs would want to understand what they think is inferior/irrational/whatever, they simply don't care enough, which is why you hardly ever see them in the SJ Guardhouse, unless it's in a thread like this. So much for the eternal quest for knowledge that they care so much about.

Seems to be my observation as well, which is a shame but...what can you do? :shrug:

And as I've said earlier in the thread, if you look for SJs by looking for traditionalists, you might be missing a lot of people who break your stereotypes, and mistyping traditionalists of other types as being SJ. You would mistype several INFJ friends of mine as being ISFJ. You would probably mistype me as being ENFP, and mistype many of the SJs on this forum as being ISTP, INTJ, etc. This point has already been made to death, and no one has responded to it, except for Marm and shortnsweet, but they're only two people and so many other people are involved.

I'm a male ISFJ, right-of-center atheist. I'm totally in support of LGBT rights and am a supporter of feminist ideals. Not sure where the hell this lands me on the "traditional" dart board.

Oh, and another thing and this is something I mentioned in another thread: it might be helpful to flesh out what it is we all mean when we say "Traditional" as it seems to me that "traditional" is a term whose meaning is relative depending on the generation you apply it to.

FWIW Elfboy, you remind me a lot of several ISFJs - male ISFJs. So you better make sure you're not that type before you go around making backhanded remarks about them. ;)

As a male ISFJ, I don't know how to take being compared to Elfboy :sadbanana:

Unless of course you're just goading him, at which I would say, "Carry on then" ;)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
+1

As a male ISFJ, I don't know how to take being compared to Elfboy :sadbanana:

Unless of course you're just goading him, at which I would say, "Carry on then" ;)

I'm as confused as you. I don't see how any of my posts display Si, Fe or Ti. one would also think there would be less Fi/Te present.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And like fuck you're a 3w4...that's my e-type, and 3's don't have issues with lacking friends, quite the opposite, really.
it's actually kind of relieving to hear you say that. I looked a little more into type 3 and thought "Oh God don't let me be that" lol

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm.. I have a lot of trouble believing that you're a three. First of all, I have a lot of trouble believing that anybody spending a lot of time on this forum is a three. (Not doubting that some people here may be threes.) Threes are achievers, they need markers of success. They don't sit on the computer talking about themselves. After reading more into enneatypes, my thought is 4w5. (And definitely not an ENFP.)

I suggest that if you want to somehow support your "I'm as cold as ice, shoo people away, find people lower class" but "I'm open minded, and want to learn more about people and SJ's" but "My thoughts are so complicated and that's why I can't articulate" argument, then you pick up a very large dictionary and perhaps do some serious self reflection and come back to the thread later. If you're finding that most people can't understand/ access what you're saying, then you've got to rethink the words. (In this case, big time.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm.. I have a lot of trouble believing that you're a three. First of all, I have a lot of trouble believing that anybody spending a lot of time on this forum is a three. (Not doubting that some people here may be threes.) Threes are achievers, they need markers of success. They don't sit on the computer talking about themselves. After reading more into enneatypes, my thought is 4w5. (And definitely not an ENFP.)

I suggest that if you want to somehow support your "I'm as cold as ice, shoo people away, find people lower class" but "I'm open minded, and want to learn more about people and SJ's" but "My thoughts are so complicated and that's why I can't articulate" argument, then you pick up a very large dictionary and perhaps do some serious self reflection and come back to the thread later. If you're finding that most people can't understand/ access what you're saying, then you've got to rethink the words. (In this case, big time.)

this would not be an appropriate thread for me to come back to with that. in fact, the majority of this thread has been severely off topic; however, I'm going be hypocritical for a second and ask what other type you think I could be besides ENFP. INFP seems like the only other possibility. do you think I'm ISFP?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this would not be an appropriate thread for me to come back to with that. in fact, the majority of this thread has been severely off topic; however, I'm going be hypocritical for a second and ask what other type you think I could be besides ENFP. INFP seems like the only other possibility. do you think I'm ISFP?

I could see INFP for sure, I can also see SP of sorts. The thread turned into a thread about you because when we questioned your opinions, your arguments were ones that had to do with you. "I think this way because I have x, y, and z in my personality." Also, aren't threes strongly driven by popularity? I test three a lot for that reason. (I'm not a three, but looked into it and turns out that's why I tested that way.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could see INFP for sure. Also, aren't threes strongly driven by popularity? I test three a lot for that reason. (I'm not a three, but looked into it and turns out that's why I tested that way.)

INFP 7w8? that's an exotic combination. it would explain the bitchy ass ESTJ shadow mode that comes out of my sometimes lol. so now I have someone who thinks I'm INFP, another thinks ISFJ (lord knows how), another ENTJ, another INTJ and another ESFP. in the meantime I still think I'm ENFP (along with most of the forum members) but I would certainly love to be typed as introverted, partly because INFPs just seem classier.