• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESFJ's shadow--the ISFP

Sunny Ghost

I'll also hear this relationship termed differently, but what I am referring to is, in what ways will you act upon the opposite of your type?

You guys as ESFJ's are Fe/Si/Ne/Ti... whereas the opposite, or rather, point and counterpoint of this is Fi/Se/Ni/Te, or an ISFP.

I'm an ISFP, and from my limited understanding of this, in certain situations, may act out ESFJ. For me, because it isn't my natural way of being, it is usually prompted out of stress and negativity.

For example: My anxiety around people may suddenly prompt an Fe/Si approach to interacting. Or under stress around the house, may suddenly become very rigid and militant towards how I treat my roommates and the cleanliness. Or, I'll suddenly become super organized with lists and charts, etc. to attempt to prompt me to stay on top of bills, to-do's, etc.

So, ESFJ, in what ways would one be prompted to act more ISFP-like?

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Type is preference, so you don't always act according to your type, it also seems to be a routine for behavior. When I'm very stressed I may appear introverted, although I don't consider myself being introverted in those times, just living in my head. However stress has never made me more organized, or in any way like a "Judger", quite the opposite, I'm even more disorganized and tend to be obsessive. For me it's only about the E/I.

So what I'm saying is that it is possible that ESFPs to also act more ISFP. I don't think it's limited only to one type. Because if that was true, I would have behaved in an INTJ way when I'm stress, which I never do.

But even if I act introverted, it doesn't mean that I am, because I still prefer extraversion.

Sunny Ghost

Agreed. But what I am interested in is the way in which ESFJ's specifically act out ISFP.

As an introvert, under stress of social situations, I'll feel a need to act upon either Fe or Se, coming off more ESFJ or ESFP.

And since I'm a perceiver, under stress will come off as more of a judger, since I'll suddenly degrade my typical Se ways.

So, I'm interested in understanding how a judger, under stress, may possibly come off as more of a perceiver and if it is in a negative way, or out of a stressful situation. And also, what sort of stress prompts a J to turn into a P, if that is the case. Why go from Fe/Si to Fi/Se? Make sense?

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought your shadow would be ESTJ, not ESFJ. INTP's shadow is ESFJ. I've been there, too. How ugly it was for me.

I'll have to look up what it says in "Beside Ourselves" by Naomi Q.

Sunny Ghost

Yeah, I've heard this relationship referred to as different terms. I'm not talking about complete opposite, though. But rather, the point and counterpoint of each function.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
So that's ESTP for me?

Probably when I'm playing a sport and am not 'thinking' about it too much, so movements are much fluid and natural....I'm not sure if that's just me using Se or the whole package, though.

Sunny Ghost

ISTJ=Si/Te/Fi/Ne
ESTP=Se/Ti/Fe/Ni

yep!! possibly. i wasn't sure if they always exude out of stress or normal daily situations. sounds like it's not out of stress... but then again... sports are high intensity... :thinking:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a mystery.