• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Involuntary Full Self-Awareness

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I was sitting here on the computer when, out of nowhere my body did something amazingly awkward. I instantly became COMPLETELY self-aware for about 30 seconds. To explain:

My body registered and cataloged:
-Temperature (the AC had just kicked on)
-Comfort (Very high comfort rating, with the exception of my feet)
-Stress/Pressure (shoes still on at 2:30am)
-Entire visual spectrum (seeing all of my peripheral all at once perfectly)
-Heard and comprehended all sounds around me all at once. (Background TV, music playlist, parents speaking in the room around me, the birds chirping, etc.)
-Also had a slight dizzying effect when I returned myself to normal. A very relieving feeling, actually.

I discussed this with Metamorphosis and Hexis. Hexis has absolutely never had it happen to him, nor could he make himself start a "self-evaluation/diagnostic." Meta, however, said that, no, that hasn't happened, but he could make his mind do such an evaluation if he so wished it. I don't doubt that he could, but mine was all simultaneous, so it may be fundamentally different than what he'd experience.

Any thoughts whatsoever?

(Not sure "exactly" where to put this thread :D )

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was sitting here on the computer when, out of nowhere my body did something amazingly awkward. I instantly became COMPLETELY self-aware for about 30 seconds. To explain:

My body registered and cataloged:
-Temperature (the AC had just kicked on)
-Comfort (Very high comfort rating, with the exception of my feet)
-Stress/Pressure (shoes still on at 2:30am)
-Entire visual spectrum (seeing all of my peripheral all at once perfectly)
-Heard and comprehended all sounds around me all at once. (Background TV, music playlist, parents speaking in the room around me, the birds chirping, etc.)
-Also had a slight dizzying effect when I returned myself to normal. A very relieving feeling, actually.

I discussed this with Metamorphosis and Hexis. Hexis has absolutely never had it happen to him, nor could he make himself start a "self-evaluation/diagnostic." Meta, however, said that, no, that hasn't happened, but he could make his mind do such an evaluation if he so wished it. I don't doubt that he could, but mine was all simultaneous, so it may be fundamentally different than what he'd experience.

Any thoughts whatsoever?

(Not sure "exactly" where to put this thread :D )

Nope. Definitely couldn't do that....not simultaneously especially.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I think your an alien from mars, we should disect you and turn you into fuel...for the betterment of mankind of course!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was sitting here on the computer when, out of nowhere my body did something amazingly awkward. I instantly became COMPLETELY self-aware for about 30 seconds.

How do you know if you were completely self-aware?

You simply know that you were more self-aware than normal.

But perhaps there is a level of self-awareness you have not yet aspired to.

(just sayin')

I've had moments where things have 'clicked' tho and the mind starts buzzing on many different tracks at once and it's like sitting in a room full of audio/visual monitors. Hyperfocus in every direction at once. It would probably drive a person mad, eventually, if they did it all the time.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know what you're talking about. That's one of my favorite moments, where all sensory information comes in at once like a flood and you feel content right where you are.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
How do you know if you were completely self-aware?

You simply know that you were more self-aware than normal.

But perhaps there is a level of self-awareness you have not yet aspired to.

Who knows, I'm open to any explanation. :D

Thanks for the input, all.

R

RDF

I instantly became COMPLETELY self-aware for about 30 seconds.

It could be an episode of reduced blood to your parietal lobe.

Religious people tend to interpret the experience as a "merging" with God. Others might describe it as an expansion into the world around them. You've described it as "self-awareness"; but the last item in your description shows that it encompasses more than just yourself:

If you have an episode of reduced flow of blood to the parietal lobe, the key feature is a temporary loss of boundaries between yourself and the immediate world (sensations) around you. These involuntary episodes usually happen when people are tired and they last about 30 seconds, as you described. (They can be induced deliberately as well, for longer periods of time, via meditation.)

Newberg and D'Aquili's attention was drawn to a chunk of the brain's parietal lobe they called the orientation association area. The area is responsible for defining the limits of the physical self, and for generating the perceptions of space in which that self can be oriented. In simpler terms, it draws the line between the self and the rest of existence.

The Biology of Belief [note: do not prejudge this item, read it all first - Barry - Debates & Discussions - The Lounge

Just mentioning it as a possibility. People tend to describe these parietal lobe experiences in very different terms, depending on their personal frame of reference.

B

ByMySword

Who knows, I'm open to any explanation. :D

Okay, so here's what happened. You were sitting at your computer and the characters from REBOOT were watching you. (Actually that has nothing to do with what happened). So Buddah was watching you from Heaven and thought that since he's already in Heaven, it would be fun to play a trick on an unbeliever. So he asked Jesus which one, and JC was like, "Hey, how about Dewey, he's got nothing going for him, let's fuck with his mind." So they went to the drug store and got some drugs to spiritually inject into you. Their thinking was that you would interpret this as a sign from God and you would start preaching again. Apparently that was entertaining to them, but anyway. So they injected you spiritually with this self-awareness drug and it affected you the way it did and so on. Needless to say, you caused them great disappointment. So shame on you. You think its just like Heaven up there, Dewey? Well you are wrong. Why do you think they let so many bad things happen? They are bored out of their fucking minds. So the next time you get this self-awareness (probably never again since you've blown you're chance), show it. Make some type of intellectual remark or something!!!! Don't just sit there and enjoy it!!!! Don't you know that you're life is for God's pleasure? LOL.

You know I love ya Dewey!!!! LOL.

Last edited:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It has happened to me a few times when i've been tired/relaxed and i've achieved it through meditation a few times as well (used to be an asia-nut and I read a few books on the subject of buddhist meditation, especially Zen).
But I haven't done it in a couple of years at least.

The explanation with the parietal gland does give a rational explanation, and I like that. :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's happened to me a few times and it's very disorienting. Though difficult to describe why for me... perhaps because though I'm always very plugged into the state of things, it's in the intuitive sense, and I'm never really very aware at all of the physical aspects of reality around me. More conscious of the meanings of things around me and their interactions, than the things themselves.

Occasionally it seems Se breaks through the intuitional torrents and yes, it's weird. But I don't find it frightening - exhiliarating, yes. And I try to hold onto it and seize the moment to try to 'notice' as much as I can before the sensation ends. Then at other times I enjoy trying to recall all the things I sensed - the texture of a wooden bench, the exact character of the light around me at the time, the sounds in the room, the feel of the air on my skin, the sensation in my leg muscles holding me in the kneeling position. It's like remembering a dream though.