• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs and poetry...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since we are apparently an equal opportunity forum, no matter how wasteful of energy it might be, I figured that I should pose this question to the SJs, as well:

Do you like poetry?

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Do you like poetry?

I'd say I take a fairly neutral stance toward it. I can enjoy and appreciate it, but I don't seek out books of poetry or anything. I do like that poetry doesn't have one interpretation only, and therefore allows you to be creative and explore different possibilities of what the author was trying to convey, but sometimes the "open to interpretation" part can be annoying because when you have to write a paper on poetry for school there is a grade assigned to your interpretation. How can you put an objective grade on something that is clearly subjective in its nature? Blah.

I actually had a poem of mine published in a book when I was in the 8th grade...lol. My teacher submitted it to some contest, and I won :laugh: I'd consider posting it here, but it is so terribly lame...I just wanted to finish my homework (we had to turn in like a portfolio of 10 poems)...and I just made wrote whatever rhymed and came to mind the night before.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
I must admit I am neutral about poetry as well....I don't seek it out or purchase it....and I don't avoid it when it is presented. I seemore poetics in natural relationships and proportions and this seems to occupy the part of my life that poetry might.

Damn, there goes 60 seconds I'll never get back!....

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Same. Not crazy about it nor against it. I can appreciate a good poem but I don't go out of my way to explore the world of poetry.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I will not actively seek out poetry, nor do I particularly like it. It doesn't inspire or motivate me; it's just there.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, if it's too figurative I don't like it, just as I don't like abstract art. I do like good poetry with meaning and substance to it, although like the others said I don't usually look for it. I do like a little book someone gave me that I think is called "the Jade Flute." It's a collection of translated ancient Chinese poems and I really enjoy them. I also like how classic books used to have original poetry sprinkled here and there. Poems are cool and it must be nice to be talented in that area.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Generally, no. However, I occasionally hear something that I enjoy and gives me motivation...usually if it appeals to things that are very important to me (family, faith, country). I am no more inspired by them than I am, say, a good quote, though.

I will definitely not buy a book of poems, check one out of the library, or even search for them on the internets. Usually they make me want to roll my eyes. Unless, of course, we are talking about Shel Silverstein...in which case, bring on the Whatifs and their rhyming ways!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, I do. I like Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frank O'Hara, Dylan Thomas, and a few more.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm indifferent. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either... unless it's in song form of course. :headphne:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I took a 'which famous poet are you' test on here the other day .. I can't give you her name as i am on the other computer .. I did read up on her and it was interesting.

Generally no .. Poetry for me although incredibly beautiful, it doesn't do enough for me. I would prefer to read a book, get absorbed in that and see the progression and then conclusion.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
Poetry exists so that people can project their own meanings into vague prose and then take on an attitude of intellectual superiority for having done so.

I have better things to do with my time than read deliberately obscurantist, self-important foppery.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Poetry exists so that people can project their own meanings into vague prose and then take on an attitude of intellectual superiority for having done so.

I have better things to do with my time than read deliberately obscurantist, self-important foppery.

This is my understanding as well. Some poems are good, but poetry is just proof that people have too much time on their hands. I prefer regular prose.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fellow SJs: do you enjoy poetry?

I like it well enough, but I can get impatient with it, because I often want it to just "get to the point", even though "getting to the point" is not what poetry is about, if you understand my meaning. I also have trouble interpreting my own meaning from poems when there aren't any helpful hints within them. (Billy Collins is one of my favorite poets, probably because he's a little more straightforward, as well as funny.)

I'm especially interested in hearing from ISTJs about this. You guys are my brethren, after all - more so than SFJs. But I still would be interested in hearing from all SJs who care to answer.

So...? Do you like it? Got any favorite poets? Or do you hate poetry?

p.s. I hope this thread hasn't been done before...

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Actually, I believe it has been done recently. Here is the topic if you are interested.

For my response, I will quote what I wrote there:

Generally, no. However, I occasionally hear something that I enjoy and gives me motivation...usually if it appeals to things that are very important to me (family, faith, country). I am no more inspired by them than I am, say, a good quote, though.

I will definitely not buy a book of poems, check one out of the library, or even search for them on the internets. Usually they make me want to roll my eyes. Unless, of course, we are talking about Shel Silverstein...in which case, bring on the Whatifs and their rhyming ways!

I am also like you, EJCC, in that I enjoy poetry that is straightforward and has to do with every day life and the sensory world. If it is open to a lot of interpretation, it loses my interest very quickly.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for your reply!
So... how do I delete this thread?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, I don't think I wrote in that one so I'll just write it here:

Some poetry is all right I guess, but sometimes it is annoying because it is slow, usually boring, and almost ALWAYS about something irrelevant/useless (in my mind anyway). :unsure:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I find poetry somewhat useless. Not in usual sense of uselessness, but as a form of art. I feel that there are other, better ways to deliver the same ideas and emotions to the listener/viewer of the art.

I personally feel that quotes and phrases deliver more, and are easier to understand, thus being superior. I'm a real sucker for these. "When gazing into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you" or sumthing... ;)