• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs : how many of you are Okay with factory-job?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
just a curious question.

it doesn't have to be just in the labor part,
but it could be in higher position such as Purchasing manager (for example), or Production manager, or a Supervisor,...things like that.
so basically, are you guys kinda interested to work in a factory-setting?
or kinda 'okay' with it, perhaps?

this question is most especially for STJs out there.

because as a personal note: i feel as if my current factory-job, for me (i'm INFP) , is just dead-boring, and too 'dry' for my soul. and it's in ANY level , not necessarily in the labor part.
so i'm just curious to hear from the SJ's (especially STJ's) perspective on this whole factory-job/career thing.
thx.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
For me, personally, working in a factory-type setting would probably kill me from bordeom and monotony. Maybe I could do it for a little while (like while I am still learning new things and finding new ways to streamline production and get as much done as possible in as little time), but once that experimentation and learning process is over and everything becomes routine and I know all the ins and outs of the business it makes me want to explode because I go stir-crazy.

For instance, I worked in a fast food restaurant as my first job off and on for 4 years. I learned the registers and computer system, how to open/close the store by myself, how to take care of catering, do produce orders, I worked every position in the kitchen and every position in the front of the store. While I was still learning the ins and outs of all those positions and how to become good at them it was ok with me. However, once I knew it all and stopped learning new things the job no longer was a challenge and I despised working there and quit shortly after.

Male ISTJ's might be more ok with a factory position because in general, those positions can earn good money and it's a solid, dependable job that will always be there...which is a strong appeal to STJ's. Personally, I don't think male ISTJ's really care as much what they do so long as it doesn't violate their value system and so long as they earn the salary that they want. I think they are good at deciding "This is work time, and this is play time" and they just stick to it. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong here...Hirsch or any other ISTJ male)

For me though, as a female, too much routine kills me. I can handle monotony as a "neccessary evil" for some length of time only if in the end it will help me achieve a larger goal. My father pushed me all through college to go into business, but I never did because I know I never want to work in an office or daily deal with corporate America. I chose to do Spanish/teaching ESOL because my students will always keep me on my toes forcing me to be creative and deal with frustration, and the education system and practices are constantly evolving.

So, I don't really know. I think the question you posed really has more to do with how driven and motivated one is to continue the life-long learning process and try new things, or how driven they are to find something comfortable that they can do with relative ease once they know the business. It's more a matter of where your priorities are.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
just a curious question.

it doesn't have to be just in the labor part,
but it could be in higher position such as Purchasing manager (for example), or Production manager, or a Supervisor,...things like that.
so basically, are you guys kinda interested to work in a factory-setting?
or kinda 'okay' with it, perhaps?

this question is most especially for STJs out there.

because as a personal note: i feel as if my current factory-job, for me (i'm INFP) , is just dead-boring, and too 'dry' for my soul. and it's in ANY level , not necessarily in the labor part.
so i'm just curious to hear from the SJ's (especially STJ's) perspective on this whole factory-job/career thing.
thx.

I'm curious to know why what an ISTJ feels about a factory job has to do with what you feel about your factory job. It sounds like you're unhappy there and you're wondering who would like it, but that won't help your job satisfaction. Surely there are people who work with you who could answer why they have that job and what they like about it.

It seems like a better question would be what do INFPs and most importantly, you, like to do and how can you get that kind of job?

Jae Rae

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm curious to know why what an ISTJ feels about a factory job has to do with what you feel about your factory job. It sounds like you're unhappy there and you're wondering who would like it, but that won't help your job satisfaction. Surely there are people who work with you who could answer why they have that job and what they like about it.

It seems like a better question would be what do INFPs and most importantly, you, like to do and how can you get that kind of job?

Jae Rae

Or maybe he's trying to understand the point of view someone he knows has who happens to be STJ. Maybe an attempt at understanding how to communicate the need for something else, even if the communication is possibly futile.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Male ISTJ's might be more ok with a factory position because in general, those positions can earn good money and it's a solid, dependable job that will always be there...which is a strong appeal to STJ's. Personally, I don't think male ISTJ's really care as much what they do so long as it doesn't violate their value system and so long as they earn the salary that they want. I think they are good at deciding "This is work time, and this is play time" and they just stick to it. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong here...Hirsch or any other ISTJ male)

Ummmm...you do live in America,right? Dependable jobs that will always be there, the factory job at GM in Detroit that my grandfather had...those are G-O-N-E. It would appeal to me to have such a secure, predictable job but if my working life has taught me anything...these are gone if they ever truly existed at all. I have visited many factories as a delivery driver over the years...I find almost all of them brutally depressing. Dirty, loud, smelly, unsafe and inequitable. Then having to deal with the few inevitably screwed up co-workers around whom the world must revolve. Putting a nut on a bolt for twenty years has to numb the mind. And I grew up around Detroit, my friends and their parents and grandparents were "factory rats"...I saw all the consequences of this life. Factories are (especially unregulated ones) essentially Darwinian microcosms....

Being in a management position would be frustrating (or rather has been)...when my "crew" has beeen well trained and is doing top-notch work...I feel strongly that they should be compensated for improvement...and I have been caught in the middle arguing on behalf of my workers to no avail. That is depressing and irritating. Being expected to produce quality results without quality materials and facilities is a typical problem. Lying to customers about projected delivery dates and to employees about the same...and you are in the middle. It is largely thankless...unless of course you can be self-centered and unethical. There must be a MBTI type for this because I have worked for some of them. If you can focus on the bottom line only and ingnore all other matters in order to grow the business you should do well. Management is not a place for someone with a conscience, you will simply be driven mad.

Don't get me wrong...the work needs to be done. There are perhaps manufacturing entities that have addressed these problems successfully. Perhaps in Europe. Factories and the workers in them exist to enrich the lives of a privlidged few. CEOs that make 40 to 400 times what the average worker (without basic health care) does...undermine morale and rob the nobility from good work well-done. All the resources brought to bear a profit usually leave the community of origin forever denuding the populace and environment of recourse when the factory moves away. Being in the middle...seeing both ends (capital and labor)of the story dealing with the best and worst of people and possibilities just makes me crazy thinking about it as I type.

I am sure that there is a rational way to manage all these concerns...but that would require everyone involved to compromise...and I can't see that happening.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm back after a looong time, because suddenly I this morning, I just felt such strong urge to post yet another of my thought :

but regardless, somebody should do the job, right?
you (and I) may say that factory jobs is d-e-a-d, boring, dry, dirty, enrich the lives of few only, and all other bad things about it, but the fact of the matter is:
we still need bottle or can-maker (factory), so we can drink Coke.
we still need recycled paper factory, so those throwed-papers won't destroy our planet.
we still need aluminium, metal, bolt & screws factory, because these are very necessary for many many things surrounding us nowadays (ie: cars, houses, etc).

I'm just basically confused,
if nobody nowadays seems want to do those 'dirty' jobs anymore,...then who will/would ?
and if NOBODY in our generation (seems like the youngs nowadays only want to do 'clean' & 'creative' jobs, i've noticed, such as Designs, even music! indie anyone??) wants to do the factory jobs, then how can we survive in the future?

Last edited:

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Work needs to be done,
only I wouldn't get a kick out of performing low-skill repetitive work, my work needs to be challenging and offer opportunities for growth & learning. Along with a decent social status. I do reckon this work needs to be done, but rather by someone else. I would just be very depressed performing that kind of work.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against factorywork, or even workers, but it is just not for me...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh HELL no. But I'm a lazy SJ. :)

shum

MBTI Type
enfp
i am not an stj but i am going to answer anyway because i have been questioned about this kind of thing before.
niki. there is a huge difference between management and labour positions in factories.

i have done a lot of physical and monotonous labour in many different types of plants. and i prefer that type of work to any kind of management or office thing. its the teamwork attitude that i like the most. like a group of people all co-operating to achieve one goal. i find it fascinating to observe how everyone interacts with each other. the comradery amazes me.

i also enjoy the opportunity to zone out and get lost in my thoughts when the work is "boring". like getting paid to fantasize all day. ;)

what sort of factory do you work in niki? and what position do you have?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Not a fan. If I were in middle- or upper-management and I were able to direct policy, motivate people, etc., I could probably make it work no matter what the product was, but I am an entertainment industry guy at heart.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
it's interesting to see some of the replies here..
first of all, to answer both shum and pure's questions: i'm not in the labor-position.
in fact, i was supposed & expected to be the "next boss" , it's a family-business, and my dad & uncle builds it.
so you can say theoretically, i should be at the "upper-management" level.

but just like shum said, actually, seeing the workers down the factory, sometimes i 'wish' i am NOT in the upper-management like this.
perhaps it's because of my INFP-traits, things like meeting customers, constant call, deadlines, pressures and more pressures, and all just to ensure stuff like raw-materials, woods, rattan, and support-items like glue, polish-machine etc to get-in-time, in perfect quality,...and all just to increase the profits..all these things just seems very 'DRY' for me.

while i have to also agree w/ what pure said: that sometimes i find it good that i can motivate my workers or my staff, when i'm at the upper-management position, but the truth is: i would definitely rather motivate people in OTHER type of job,..not in the factory, where Just-In-Time, efficiency, and profits seems to rule 95% more than the "people-factor", or the "motivating" factor.

but i'm glad that there're people who still don't mind too-much IF circumstances pushed them to have-to work in factory setting.

but it's just not for me...really.
and besides, I'm a musician, at heart...

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
This reminds me of a book I read once about work (not by Studs Terkel). In it, a woman who cut tuna said she found her job "sexy." So you see, it takes all kinds. I'm not sure
any of us would feel turned on by cutting tuna, but she was. Someone out there must like factory work, it's just not anyone on this forum.

Jae Rae

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Two words: Fuck no.

lol ,
even for an ISTJ ?? really??...seirously??

man,..no wonder stress is killing me almost everyday here in this factory-job.
but oh how my uncle & dad are soo chinese's old-fashion, always kept scrutinizing me and telling me to "be thankful ! nuff said!" :/

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Hah, yeah, I'm serious. I could handle a year of it maybe to get by in a certain phase of life if I had to. I can handle just about anything for a brief period. I'd kill myself if I had to make a career of a factory job though.

Sorry you're unhappy. You should force yourself to break away from feeling an obligation to do what you feel is expected. [Beware, cheezy phrase ahead] You should follow your heart. :nice:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Working in a factory sounds way too boring. I could put up with it for a while, but I wouldn't "like" it. I would always be looking forward to my free-time and weekends. And an upper-level position would be even worse, because I would have too much responsibility. I would always be afraid of messing things up and letting everyone else down.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

Out of the mouth of babes....

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
Working in a factory sounds way too boring. I could put up with it for a while, but I wouldn't "like" it. I would always be looking forward to my free-time and weekends. And an upper-level position would be even worse, because I would have too much responsibility. I would always be afraid of messing things up and letting everyone else down.

well,
the more i see the posts here, the more it becomes clear to me that: it might not have so much to do with Personality.
instead, it might be that OUR generation today generally just doesn't want to do a factory-kind of job. perhaps, i figured, it's just too- 'dirty' & 'dry' for "iPod & Internet-savvy" people in our generation :p

however,
I still give some benefits of doubts to some "anal, logical, curious, love-challenges" type like INTJ, to still want or love to work in factory-setting, IF they're given an upper-management & a TOTAL-control to manage/handle the whole factory!

while me, even though my uncle (ie: which is my boss) give his "boss" title to me right now, I would most likely still reject it anyway.
I don't care if some people in my family, or even my friends, called me a "whiny, spoiled person" , but i guess there's just WAY too-many factors of why i just don't have ANY motivation or passion to continue work, or even RUN this factory-business!