• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Gestural ISFJs?

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pretty much all ISFJs I know are VERY gestural, and make hand movements when they are talking like it is the end of the world. This is only based off of 7 ISFJs, but I can't help wondering if this is a common ISFJ trait... Any thoughts?

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
I know I use hand gestures, but I'm not really sure if I use them excessively. Could be because I have consciously beat that down, or I just don't realize I'm doing it.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pretty much all ISFJs I know are VERY gestural, and make hand movements when they are talking like it is the end of the world. This is only based off of 7 ISFJs, but I can't help wondering if this is a common ISFJ trait... Any thoughts?

ALL THE TIME! I feel incredibly self-conscious about it actually when someone points it out. I'm curious to know if the ISTJs do it as well and, if so, if this is an Si related thing...

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I've definitely noticed this among ISFJs.

ALL THE TIME! I feel incredibly self-conscious about it actually when someone points it out. I'm curious to know if the ISTJs do it as well and, if so, if this is an Si related thing...

Not sure which function it would tie in with. I also find myself doing it fairly often once I really get "wound up" in a conversation about something I'm really interested in, or on occasion when I'm trying to relate a story. Maybe it's part of Si's desire to bring past experiences directly into the here and now by literally "painting the picture" with words and gestures?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I make hand gestures but no one's ever indicated to me that it's more than normal. I do know that the more comfortable I am with the person I'm speaking with, the more emotionally expressive and physically animated I will become.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my mother is very expressive... but then again, my whole family is pretty expressive, so that doesn't really say much... she at least doesn't knock over glasses on the table in a fit of enthusiasm :blush:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ahaha you're cute ^

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
never underestimate the dangerous hand gestures of an excited ExxP :doh:

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm curious to know if the ISTJs do it as well and, if so, if this is an Si related thing...

I don't use many hand gestures when I speak. But I have been told my facial expressions are priceless. :) This is an interesting thread. I would have thought perhaps extroverts may be more likely to hand gesture. Maybe it's just not related to type. Although 7 hand-gesturing ISFJ's seems pretty significant!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always associated heavy use of gestures with extraverts, especially those who use Fe. So that's ExFJ and to a lesser extent ExTP. I think of the introverts, ISFJs might be more inclined to gesture more (the auxilary Fe).

I'm kind of awkward with hand gestures. I've made videos of myself and have been told I don't make a whole lot of movements, period. Then I've also been told I move my hand constantly. I do the constant hand movement thing when I'm nervous.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really agree with this theory...Sounds very accurate. Thanks

Zed

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yep, I use them alot...not too bad with finger gestures either :nono:

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Hrrm.... Now that I think about it, I use facial expressions very heavily rather than gestures with my hands. Someone once told me that they could have an entire conversation with me without me ever having to say a word. :D

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most of the ISFJs I know also have extreem facial expressions, but more so on the hand movements... But I agree with what someone said earlier. I think it may be the Si and Fe combination that really makes this type do this.