• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Si] Let's Discuss Si, Shall We?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you clarify why Jung felt all introverted functions tapped into a "collective" unconscious? Oddly I totally get that Ni does this, although I dont understand it. You end up with repeated symbols. I sorta can poke around and understand perhaps how we might form Ti and Fi although I dont get how they connect to a collective unconscious. They seemed to be some sort of primordial glue that gets molded, but The Xi dom understanding is likely much more clear. So how does Si actually form and connect to a collective past?

I sometimes wonder, (prepare for blasphemy) since Jung was an INTJ, with Si as his own least understood function-would he be able to clearly explain what Si is without contaminating that understanding with his own understanding of Ni? I have no idea.

(I admit utter laziness, blatant speculation, and shall go wonder off and reread the Si section in PT now.) :)

Hm...I think Jung is INTP, but that's another thread :cheese:

Okay, tangent time...

My understanding of the collective unconscious (which is a bit hazy) is that it's a sort of inherited knowledge, something like psychological instincts (as opposed to physiological instincts). I believe Jung uses this theory to defend the validity of the introverted viewpoint. Extroverted functions have a connection to reality, so that they are validated by objects verifiable by others. The introvert does not have this, but they do have a closer access to the collective unconscious which gives some weight to their perspective/judgment; it's not just arbitrary memory or values or logic or future vision, but there's a universal aspect to the concepts behind them, concepts which are recognized by others as true, even if not easily verified by anything tangible. I think this is why people may say introverts are "deep" where extroverts are "broad".

To quote a humorous part of Psychological Types (which I featured in my blog recently, because it made me laugh for a good minute):

Jung said:
Thus, just as it seems incomprehensible to the introvert that the object should always be the decisive factor, it remains an enigma to the extrovert how a subjective standpoint can be superior to the objective situation. He inevitably comes to the conclusion that the introvert is either a conceited egoist or a crack-brained bigot.

The extrovert may have trouble seeing the validity of introvert's thoughts. You see this all the time, where the introverted functions are criticized for their "subjectivity" as if subjectivity was somehow inferior, and not an important part of understanding the world. I notice this is often done from those with the same function in the opposite attitude; ie. Te & Ti or Ne & Ni. I think the introvert can devalue the extrovert view as "shallow" sometimes too; but more often, I think they are complementary :) .

Okay, now how this relates to Si is there is supposedly an instinctive awareness of what has been in the past, beyond the individual's own experience. This awareness makes the Si-dom gravitate towards images of the past. Hence, the association of Si with tradition and history. Their Je function will judge the significance of these perceptions, and will seek to protect that which may violate an awareness of what people have needed or what has worked down through time.

Ni, devalues these images of the past, preferring to see what they imply in regards to the future, as opposed to their direct meaning; in that sense, symbols are formed from these impressions. Ni has a synthesized vision of what will be, as opposed to what has been. So Si prefers the literal where Ni prefers the symbolic.

In a similar way, Se sees the object for what it is, and Ne sees what it implies indirectly, or could be, or the concept it connects to. So Se sees the outer object, and Si sees the inner object. Ne sees what the outer object implies, and Ni sees what the inner object implies, indirectly. From what I gather, the source of the inner object is partly the collective unconscious, but just as extroverts may all interpret the external object differently, so this will be interpreted differently by the introvert. Of course, in reality, no one thinks with just one function, so introverts also have their dom function influenced by their extroverted aux function.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm kind of semi-professional game designer (or atleast a wannabe :)), and I've noticed a pattern how I process and generate new ideas. I think it's Si I'm using, helped with Te.

When I'm required to do some designing, you usually start with categorizing every aspect I know. For example, if I'd be required to create a new card to a collectible card game (such as Pokemon or Magic: The Gathering), I'd start with listing all the variables available in the game. Then I'll look which variables have already been meddled with previously. And then I either take an old effect, and twist it into an opposite one (like damage would be replaced with healing), or I add a condition/trigger to it. Event X happens only if variable Y is Z. Or, I just find a new variable to meddle with.

But basically what I do, is that I systematically list everything I have in front of my, and then look out for something that isn't there. This works for me very well, since I can produce quite a few new ideas based on the old ones. The con of the system is that it requires something to be based on. Usually this isn't a problem, because by combining previously designed ideas together you can generate a whole lot of ideas. But it gets problematic when I'm out there in the vast seas of unknown. Like Nintendo Wii's controllers were probably created with Ne, but similar systems for Xbox360 and PS3 were probably created with Si.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see Si as the opposite of Ne in the sense it seeks continuity and stability. Si is very left-hemisphere and analytical, I think that gets overlooked sometimes as cheesy tradition or those halloween shirts your elementary teachers wore with all the stupid glitter pumpkins, black cats, and bats on them. You know what I mean? Si keeps things consistent and rooted and it makes your analytical and categorizing brain happy. I'm not an Si-dom, but people who suck at Si can't mess with the stuff my Si gets obsessed about. My ENFP friend is absolute shit at using his Si and it would sometimes annoy the hell out of me. lol

Yeah I think Si can actually be very left-brained and analytical, too, it's not just about "tradition." I talk to an Si dom a lot and I've noticed he's very good with sensible, practical details, and is also hesitant to make opinionated arguments with some kind of proof to back it up...that is, if he's being serious.

I use a ton of Si, but not like an SJ would. I was even told at one point my posts on the forum seem more INFP than ENFP because I pay closer attention to structure and detail. I also enjoy memories a lot, and have a strong sense of history. One of the reasons that I'm so interested in historic preservation is because I feel that the world is moving forward too fast and that there's some things about the past that must be preserved, and I even think some things about tradition are superior...just because it's new doesn't mean it's "better." I also have this weird, latent need for structure and order, although I feel hemmed in under too much scheduling and structure.

I tend to romanticize the thinking of the Modern Period versus our more Post-Modern mindset for this reason. However, just because I romanticize about it doesn't mean I'd actually operate better under that kind of societal structure. In some ways I probably would not, but the idea of it makes me feel very safe.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Is it viable to say that Si teamed up with Fe is more driven to what most would consider tradition, while Si teamed up with Te is considered more consistency?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is it viable to say that Si teamed up with Fe is more driven to what most would consider tradition, while Si teamed up with Te is considered more consistency?

I personally would think this would be the case. Si/Te IME is more concerned with rigid order and schedules than Si/Fe.

Though Si/Fe still wants it's own sense of order, I think Fe makes it more "flexible" to accomodate people...at least to an extent.

Si/Fe is probably more idealistic about tradition, and "things should be this way". SFJs are idealistic in their own little way. STJs are more pragmatic and seem to be more driven.

I think Si with Fi also might find a certain comfort in tradition, though not as much in a pronounced way as Si/Fe, which is probably more likely to prize tradition as the "ultimate" or unquestionably "right."

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks, Marm. How far do you think Fe is willing to extend or let loose it's grip on traditions before it starts to revolt against that functions purpose (as far as my understanding which is to keep order among the group)? Would that person give up the tradition completely in order to keep everyone happy?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thanks, Marm. How far do you think Fe is willing to extend or let loose it's grip on traditions before it starts to revolt against that functions purpose (as far as my understanding which is to keep order among the group)? Would that person give up the tradition completely in order to keep everyone happy?

It depends on the Si dom/aux. Not all SFJs are "traditional" in the way you might think - the Fe just adds a deeper emotional coloring to their Si sense of continuity and ties to their personal and the collective past. I think the most important thing to keep in mind about Si/Fe is that it doesn't necessarily equal fundamentalist religion or holiday wreaths for every occasion. I know an ESFJ agnostic and an ISFJ atheist, and while the ESFJ has deep, deep emotional attachments to Halloween (spending it with his mother and his own personal interest) and always observes birthdays and Christmas and Valentine's with gifts, he's actually not extremely traditional about holidays in the way one would expect. Case in point, his preference for Halloween rather than Christmas, because that ties to his personal past.

Si is such a personal function. While it does often show up in Si/Fe types with more conservative or simply "old fashioned" morals, or at least the values that resemble what they grew up with, it doesn't mean that person is going to be a right wing Republican or force commercial holidays upon you, for example.

Si also lends itself to structure as well as personal and collective past, so that also explains a leaning to more "conservative" values, simply because those values - at least in our culture - tend to be more linear and structured.

Someone with Si/Fe can hang on to their personal traditions or sentiment or values with the same fierce tenacity as an NFP with their Fi, I've noticed, but just in a different way.

Yes, Si/Fe thinks of others, and they will bend, but they aren't going to break something that they are strongly strongly attached to with Si or feel that is right or correct with Fe just to please other people, especially if their primary reference group is backing them. That is to say I think Fe values have more to do with primary reference group than the immediate group at hand. Do you know what I mean?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Introverted functions are based on data that is taken in some form. S or N. For Si doms, the perceptive connection would be based on what they've both seen and experienced in the past. An N dom has to also start with past information taken in, but their connection more can more likely be based on something that wasn't included in the past.

For both, the connection made may be clear to that person but it might not. When A Si dom is sure himself, when they can exactly pinpoint the 'memory', they are more confident. Credibility of the source also plays a large part as well. Si doms may also produce perceptions where they've seen it before, but may not be able to relate it exactly to something. That's where they struggle. That might also be why they appear to have good memories, since they rely so much on what they are sure they experienced instead of hunches. I think those instances where the memory isn't so clear could really be Ni, as the information coming together seems to come from out of nowhere; since their internal perceptions are so far apart, it's unlikely they use it much, if all, and any Ni flashes are immediately dismissed.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Noon, I really liked your post...it was very informative.

I am in awe of the detail that can be carried in memory. Jealous, too!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It does. Especially about fe being toward a reference group and not the tradition in general. I appreciate it. Thank you.

It depends on the Si dom/aux. Not all SFJs are "traditional" in the way you might think - the Fe just adds a deeper emotional coloring to their Si sense of continuity and ties to their personal and the collective past. I think the most important thing to keep in mind about Si/Fe is that it doesn't necessarily equal fundamentalist religion or holiday wreaths for every occasion. I know an ESFJ agnostic and an ISFJ atheist, and while the ESFJ has deep, deep emotional attachments to Halloween (spending it with his mother and his own personal interest) and always observes birthdays and Christmas and Valentine's with gifts, he's actually not extremely traditional about holidays in the way one would expect. Case in point, his preference for Halloween rather than Christmas, because that ties to his personal past.

Si is such a personal function. While it does often show up in Si/Fe types with more conservative or simply "old fashioned" morals, or at least the values that resemble what they grew up with, it doesn't mean that person is going to be a right wing Republican or force commercial holidays upon you, for example.

Si also lends itself to structure as well as personal and collective past, so that also explains a leaning to more "conservative" values, simply because those values - at least in our culture - tend to be more linear and structured.

Someone with Si/Fe can hang on to their personal traditions or sentiment or values with the same fierce tenacity as an NFP with their Fi, I've noticed, but just in a different way.

Yes, Si/Fe thinks of others, and they will bend, but they aren't going to break something that they are strongly strongly attached to with Si or feel that is right or correct with Fe just to please other people, especially if their primary reference group is backing them. That is to say I think Fe values have more to do with primary reference group than the immediate group at hand. Do you know what I mean?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The people I know that are Si dominant seem to have the following characteristics.

They make their decisions based on what has worked for them in the past, and they know what works. Once they know how to do something, they can be incredibly efficient in repeating it. They like the familiar vs. things that are novel or that they have no experience with. They can be resistant to a new way of doing something or an approach they view as unproven. In general, they seem to have an enormous store house of knowledge or recollection of past experiences that they can rapidly recall and apply to current situations. It can make them real experts.

I find them to have very definite views, which appear to be based on their past experiences as to how something should be done. STJs can be very directive in this regard with others - there is a way something should be done (more task oriented) and they make sure others do it that way. SFJs seem to have a different approach to things - not so much task directed. Their approach seems to be that people should behave in a certain way and they make others aware when they are behaving in ways that are not aligned with this accepted way or cultural norm. In general, I find SJs to be a bit on the stubborn side.

In my view, the way the function works in supporting decisions is that it compares the current situation to stored impressions of similar situations in the past. That comparing and contrasting of the past to the present is the essence of the function. The people I know who have this as a dominant function tend to have very strong impressions or memories of situations. It is a curious thing that sometimes, these memories are flawed, but it is clear that these previous experiences, however they recall them, are what shapes how they make decisions. What also is curious that it can very difficult for them to accept an alternate recollection of past events. It is as if they are absolutely certain their memory is correct (after all, who has a perfect memory!?).

Introverted functions are based on data that is taken in some form. S or N. For Si doms, the perceptive connection would be based on what they've both seen and experienced in the past. An N dom has to also start with past information taken in, but their connection more can more likely be based on something that wasn't included in the past.

For both, the connection made may be clear to that person but it might not. When A Si dom is sure himself, when they can exactly pinpoint the 'memory', they are more confident. Credibility of the source also plays a large part as well. Si doms may also produce perceptions where they've seen it before, but may not be able to relate it exactly to something. That's where they struggle. That might also be why they appear to have good memories, since they rely so much on what they are sure they experienced instead of hunches. I think those instances where the memory isn't so clear could really be Ni, as the information coming together seems to come from out of nowhere; since their internal perceptions are so far apart, it's unlikely they use it much, if all, and any Ni flashes are immediately dismissed.

The similarities between Ni and Si is that they both have some level of focus on a specific thing or sequence of events. My sense is the two are very different from each other though. One of the reasons that I work well with Si doms is that they seem to have strengths in areas where I have weaknesses (and visa versa). Ni is about synthesizing information, coming up with new insights, understanding the deeper meaning of things, thinking very broadly and holistically (meta-perspective), predicting what will happen in the future and that sort of thing. It operates very much on the unconscious side of the spectrum and I find that it is difficult to control. Si users seem to use the function much more consciously. They are more focused on the present and immediate practical realities.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
For me, the primary useage for it is when I someone or deal with a situation, I compare it against every other situation, book, movie, song or person similar to it and react accordingly. The downside to this is that when I meet someone for the first time or run into a situation that's brand new to me.....I have no idea what to do. I clam up and I take an observer approach to the person: Analyze and record.

I wonder if this is a Fe vs Te thing? I'll analyze the person if it's necessary in the situation; if it's less about them and more about something else I'm less likely to pay the person any mind.
If the situation is brand new new to me, I'm searching for a solution from the archives in the background. Te may kick in in more serious sitatuons to try to slow things down in order for me to figure things out. Nowadays I tend to be a lot more chill about things, though. Maybe it's age LOL, but there's not too many things in life to stress about.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
They make their decisions based on what has worked for them in the past, and they know what works. Once they know how to do something, they can be incredibly efficient in repeating it. They like the familiar vs. things that are novel or that they have no experience with. They can be resistant to a new way of doing something or an approach they view as unproven. In general, they seem to have an enormous store house of knowledge or recollection of past experiences that they can rapidly recall and apply to current situations. It can make them real experts.

Agreed.

I find them to have very definite views, which appear to be based on their past experiences as to how something should be done. STJs can be very directive in this regard with others - there is a way something should be done (more task oriented) and they make sure others do it that way. SFJs seem to have a different approach to things - not so much task directed. Their approach seems to be that people should behave in a certain way and they make others aware when they are behaving in ways that are not aligned with this accepted way or cultural norm. In general, I find SJs to be a bit on the stubborn side.

(Si + Je): Depending on the person, they may be very presciptive in how they direct others. Because they tend to be more detailed, they will explain exactly how you do X, exactly how you do Y, etc.... ESxJs, with Je as the dominant approach this with more force, and whether they mean to or not, they make it appear as if 'this is how it should be done' with no room for movement. Most people will take that at face value. An SJ who is not balanced, lazy or who is not educated enough on the subject at hand are the ones that are more stubborn. At work, for instance, my ESTJ boss was very much a yes man, and whatever his boss says, he does. Literally. He lacks the desire/ability to try to understand the exact demands of his boss, instead translating it literally to his staff with little to no room for wiggle. The way I handled this was to try to figure out exactly what was needed, make sure, on the surface, that he got what he wanted but in everything else it wasn't an issue. That's why most SJs tend to chill when they get older. They've been through the situation enough times to know what's important and where not to care.

In my view, the way the function works in supporting decisions is that it compares the current situation to stored impressions of similar situations in the past. That comparing and contrasting of the past to the present is the essence of the function. The people I know who have this as a dominant function tend to have very strong impressions or memories of situations. It is a curious thing that sometimes, these memories are flawed, but it is clear that these previous experiences, however they recall them, are what shapes how they make decisions. What also is curious that it can very difficult for them to accept an alternate recollection of past events. It is as if they are absolutely certain their memory is correct (after all, who has a perfect memory!?).

:Laugh: You are right. Nobody's memory is perfect, but for an SJ, because they use it often in practice, they can be so sure of themselves, but be so wrong. I'm sure I do it, but we're not talking about me. LOL.

The similarities between Ni and Si is that they both have some level of focus on a specific thing or sequence of events. My sense is the two are very different from each other though. One of the reasons that I work well with Si doms is that they seem to have strengths in areas where I have weaknesses (and visa versa). Ni is about synthesizing information, coming up with new insights, thinking very broadly and holistically (meta-perspective), predicting what will happen in the future and that sort of thing. It operates very much on the unconscious side of the spectrum and I find that it is difficult to control. Si users seem to use the function much more consciously. They are more focused on the present and immediate practical realities.

I think to onlookers, Si appears that way. But like I've said in past posts, Si recollection isn't something that you switch on an off. Like any internal function, it's on, in the background at all times, invloluntarily butting in where it's not even necessary, making it hard to get back to what's in front of you. I told someone here that I can be in the car, driving down a stretch of road, and I'll see a billboard, or even an exit sign, and my mind brings back things that I associate with whatever it is I'm beholding. I had this argument with my ex on this stretch of road. There was nothing special about the road to make you want to remember it. The next time I went down that road, an argument we had popped in my head. When this happened, I didn't say to myself "Hmm, I wonder what this road reminds me of?"- it just happened. And then I proceeded to play out what happened between us the rest of that night. A fight, but we ended up being okay by the night's end. It was my boy's wedding reception.

Songs, faces, food, odors, touches, colors, noises- anything sensory- will take the SJ somewhere they've been before. I'm sure it happens to you from time to time, but to an SJ it happens all the time.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure where the line goes between Si and Te for me.

My head carries vast amount of information about everything. I usually cope well with matters requiring general knowledge.

I also like to keep tract of progress of all kind. For example, when walking in a city, I track my movements in a mental map, much like GPS navigator.
I often find myself tracking for simple patterns, such as straight lines, pairs and circles. For example, if there's a light post somewhere along the street, I might unintentionally check whether the rest light posts are in a straight line. Or if products are arrangedi in an alphabetical order at the grocery store.

I think, it's sort of function for ultimate data collection. And I have a thing for statistical phenomens. :D I keep checking statistics for all kinds of sports leagues, even thought I wouldn't follow the leagues themselves. For example, I know somewhat a lot about NHL's stats, even though I have never watched a whole match. :D

What I don't do is data processing. I usually just keep the data as it is, and rarely make much conclusions of it. I guess this is the reason why Si people might miss things said between the lines at times.

It's kinda hard to describe the way I think, because that's really the only way I know how to think. :D

I tend to take in a lot of information, but eventually I'll make an analyzing exercise of it and make connections and stuff. That's secondary to just taking it in.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think to onlookers, Si appears that way. But like I've said in past posts, Si recollection isn't something that you switch on an off. Like any internal function, it's on, in the background at all times, invloluntarily butting in where it's not even necessary, making it hard to get back to what's in front of you. I told someone here that I can be in the car, driving down a stretch of road, and I'll see a billboard, or even an exit sign, and my mind brings back things that I associate with whatever it is I'm beholding. I had this argument with my ex on this stretch of road. There was nothing special about the road to make you want to remember it. The next time I went down that road, an argument we had popped in my head. When this happened, I didn't say to myself "Hmm, I wonder what this road reminds me of?"- it just happened. And then I proceeded to play out what happened between us the rest of that night. A fight, but we ended up being okay by the night's end. It was my boy's wedding reception.

Songs, faces, food, odors, touches, colors, noises- anything sensory- will take the SJ somewhere they've been before. I'm sure it happens to you from time to time, but to an SJ it happens all the time.

That's interesting. It does happen to me with music. I recall images of where I was or what I was experiencing while listening to a particular song.
When it does happen, the images are somehow very compelling or strong. Is that something of what Si feels like when you're experiencing it?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's interesting. It does happen to me with music. I recall images of where I was or what I was experiencing while listening to a particular song.
When it does happen, the images are somehow very compelling or strong. Is that something of what Si feels like when you're experiencing it?

Yes. The memory can be so real. I can hear, feel, see things as that's the reality. It doesn't play back like a movie scene for scene, but in flashes. Like the experience with the girlfriend. I think of the construction backup we were in on that road. Next flash- How we had started to get loud and yell at each other, then we got quiet. What we said I don't recall, but there are times when in a flash I can remember exactly what was said. Next flash is to when we were close to the museum where the reception was held. I was thinking of how the town looked old and I wouldn't want to live there. Then we parked and we walked into the place. She looked good that night. Then the time we took to tour the museum. flashes go on and on, until we got back to my place after the night was over.

Why that night is so detailed in my mind I don't know. For other things that have happened, all I have in me is one flash, or none at all. But for the events where I have more recollection, all I need is a single trigger to put me back somewhere on the timeline, and my memory will eventually fill in what I recall before and after that point. Over time new flashes will surface as I come across other sensory triggers that will take me back to stuff that happened to when we were together.

When trying to figure something out, I take each flash is examine them for underlying themes and patterns to figure out a 'theory'. Like why she and I didn't work. Initial theories are then applied against future flashes, to either validate or disprove it. Enough support and the theory will becomes what i feel is the reason that she and I didn't work. So where I was very unsure immediately following our breakup, and seemed to be all over the place when talking about her and why we split, now I can easily give an answer and put it in fewer words, because I'm sure of what it was.

How often does this happen to you?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Another thing.

I started this thread more than a month ago and just posted my thoughts recently. This had to be Si related. Since I didn't really know where to 'start'- I didn't want to put some things that were mere memory exercises or some other highly speculative response. I had to sit back and let what I described in the previous post just happen naturally. I couldn't force myself to use my Si to produce an answer; I to kick around what I knew about myself, and what I knew about typology, and pinpoint what exactly was Si and what wasn't. It was this process of building a case that provided a reliable answer.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. The memory can be so real. I can hear, feel, see things as that's the reality. It doesn't play back like a movie scene for scene, but in flashes. Like the experience with the girlfriend. I think of the construction backup we were in on that road. Next flash- How we had started to get loud and yell at each other, then we got quiet. What we said I don't recall, but there are times when in a flash I can remember exactly what was said. Next flash is to when we were close to the museum where the reception was held. I was thinking of how the town looked old and I wouldn't want to live there. Then we parked and we walked into the place. She looked good that night. Then the time we took to tour the museum. flashes go on and on, until we got back to my place after the night was over.

Why that night is so detailed in my mind I don't know. For other things that have happened, all I have in me is one flash, or none at all. But for the events where I have more recollection, all I need is a single trigger to put me back somewhere on the timeline, and my memory will eventually fill in what I recall before and after that point. Over time new flashes will surface as I come across other sensory triggers that will take me back to stuff that happened to when we were together.

When trying to figure something out, I take each flash is examine them for underlying themes and patterns to figure out a 'theory'. Like why she and I didn't work. Initial theories are then applied against future flashes, to either validate or disprove it. Enough support and the theory will becomes what i feel is the reason that she and I didn't work. So where I was very unsure immediately following our breakup, and seemed to be all over the place when talking about her and why we split, now I can easily give an answer and put it in fewer words, because I'm sure of what it was.

How often does this happen to you?

This is fascinating. It doesn't happen to me very often. The memories are mostly happy ones. I tend to have somewhat visceral reactions to music anyway and this is one of the added benefits when listening to a song I used to like a lot. It's not something I use to figure anything out.

auriel

Woah! Never been in this forum section before!

Anyway, as a teriary Si user, I find that Si is used mainly for 2 things.

1) Storing information! I like to know a lot of info, mostly random trivia and things that interest me. However, unlike an Si dom or aux, I do not remember many practical details.

2) Staying on the safe side. This and my Ti want to make sure I am prepared for situations and analyse the possiblities. I am always wary in new experiences. The downside is that sometimes I dislike discontinuing old habits or personal traditions (I could hardly care less about the traditions of society though) and habits and have a hard time lettihng go of things that are familiar and liked.

Yes that's exactly right. The third function tends to be the dominant's b**ch. It's usually very strong in areas that directly serve the purposes of the core, but rarely in anything else, unless you put a lot of work into developing it.

auriel

Si as a tertiary is weird for me. I find it tends to only half-work. Like I often get this weird feeling where something reminds me of something, I just can't say what". Drives me NUTS! XD But I appreciate it for the fact-mine it gives me and the intense feelings of nostalgia. I don't use tradition as a guide like SJ's do, but old family rituals make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.:wubbie: