• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Are SJ's into Tattoo's more than other types?

Parsimony

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have both piercings and tattoos. My piercings are however, limited to my ears. I have one on my left cartilage while the other three are on my ear lobes.

My two tattoos however have meaning to it. I got them both as my 21st bday gift, one my horoscope sign and the other to humor myself over my birth mark. I had lettering tattoo which says Est. ____ (year I was born) right underneath my birth mark. They are both relatively small and hidden. ;)

Last edited:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My ears are pierced once and i have 4 tattoo's .. I tend to go for another one when i'm at a major milestone in my life ..

I think they are devilishly seductive personally.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i would've guessed it as a more stereotypical SP thing too, though in truth a J is probably much better at making a long-term decision like getting a tattoo.

It only took me six years to come to a decision on my first tattoo... So yeah, I'd say I thought about it. It was something an old boyfriend once told me... He said "Don't go into a tattoo parlor and pick something off the wall. Pick your own design, and make sure it means something to you."

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
None of either.

But my decision is based on beliefs, which overrides my personal choice.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
how are beliefs and personal choice different? :thinking:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It does seem to be a common SJ thing (and Fs, too) .No tattoos for me, though I like the idea of them. I'm too indecisive and would probably change my mind when it's too late. Plus I would worry about it not looking "perfect" or fading. I've thought about it though, never all that seriously. Maybe someday.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
how are beliefs and personal choice different? :thinking:

Religious beliefs could dictate not marking the body. If you believe the tenets of the religion, but personally think tattoos are cool, your religious beliefs would trump your personal, secular views.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Only my ears are pierced and I have no tattoos.

I don't really think tattoos are a type thing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is a strange association you have there, bro. No offense.

I would honestly imagine that tattoos are more of an SP (aesthetic and experential reasons) and ENxP (self-expression and spontaneity reasons) thing.

I can see how tats could be SJ, though, if you were around very young SJs that grew up at the tail end of generation X, or more so gen Y and Z, and were surrounded by the tattoo trend and therefore participated because it was the "in" thing to do...a behavior that's about immature SJ conformity more than anything else.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I'm INFP and have 7 tattoo's, scarification and 9 piercings. As my first body mod was done over 15 years ago, well before the current 'trend', i'd have to say that I have them because i enjoy their aesthetic, rather than it being an 'in' thing, which i what is happening so often atm.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
This is a strange association you have there, bro. No offense.

I would honestly imagine that tattoos are more of an SP (aesthetic and experential reasons) and ENxP (self-expression and spontaneity reasons) thing.

I can see how tats could be SJ, though, if you were around very young SJs that grew up at the tail end of generation X, or more so gen Y and Z, and were surrounded by the tattoo trend and therefore participated because it was the "in" thing to do...a behavior that's about immature SJ conformity more than anything else.

Well I always thought that strong value placement as an association to want to express history through body art would be a strong judging quality. I don't think its about immature, more that there is great value in expressing their experience this way. Like a badge of honour, in this instance like a tattoo that tells their story.

And then I wanted to find out how much stock there is in this idea by asking.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm INFP and have 7 tattoo's, scarification and 9 piercings. As my first body mod was done over 15 years ago, well before the current 'trend', i'd have to say that I have them because i enjoy their aesthetic, rather than it being an 'in' thing, which i what is happening so often atm.

Well that defies the trend. How meaningful are the tattoo's for you? Is there a story behind wanting to have tattoos? How did you decide you wanted to have tattoos and piercings? How did your intuition and feelings decide in wanting to have the tattoos you have and are you satisfied by them?

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
None of either...but I am struck by reading the posts that they are "meaningful" (e.g. events in one's life, etc.) - it made me think about the purpose of memories and the function they serve: but that is digressing from the OP.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Well that defies the trend. How meaningful are the tattoo's for you? Is there a story behind wanting to have tattoos? How did you decide you wanted to have tattoos and piercings? How did your intuition and feelings decide in wanting to have the tattoos you have and are you satisfied by them?

One has no meaning at all, i got it in between classes at uni when i was 18, pretty much to see how much it hurt.... It's an Ankh on my lower abdomen.
The rest all have meanings and or/reasoning behind them.

The other ones come from pet names from people and reflect events in my life as i've grown. Probably the one that has the most meaning is one i got just after getting out of an incredibly abusive relationship when i was about 27 and ties into both my love of history and literature.

The piercings are a bit more of pure aesthetic and "whim", most of them will be removed once i leave uni again and change work environments.

My scarifications probably hold he most meaning and the imagery behind them tie into personal and emotional growth, through their own inherent symbolism and what they mean to me.

Sooo... i guess, my feelings and intuition drove the majority of the modification i have on my body, nearly everything has meaning and a story behind it and hold personal significance. I am happy/satisfied with all bar the one i first got "just to see how much it hurt".

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I think I read a statistic somewhere that SPs were the most common type to have tattoos. And that would make sense. Se and all. You know it's attracted to cool and pretty things, and living in the moment.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I want one. Still working out the kinks on what.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I have about 3 more planned, I'd love to get a half sleeve, but I like that the ones I have now are easy to hide and as such, I am not defined by my body art and modifications... Damn being sensible!

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't see it as a J thing. There are potential long-term effects on career progress and dermal beauty during the golden years. And stereotypically, the SJs would fret about the possibility of catching AIDS from the needle or through the filthy parlor chairs.

Of the people I know of with tattoos, it's nearly always been SPs. I was about to get one of a checkmate on a corner of a chessboard on my lower back, but reconsidered.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So wait there's a pattern, okay not enough for a pattern yet but.

Would SJ's be into piercings more often than tattoos or both, then SP's is my next thought. :D

I bloody hate tattoos and most piercings. I think I might be rather embarrassed at first once my mom gets the one she's planning. I know not why.