• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] mmorpgs

Maditon27

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFj
how many of you play computer games like massive multiplayer online games? i played everquest 2 for some years now, its my life :yes:

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I can't play them.

For several reasons, mainly because I get so bored and would rather go out and see real people. Secondly because I wouldn't know where to start, I struggle with computer games, at the best of times, the only two I play are Football Manager and Civilisation, and even then it's rarely.

I like to play board games and card games, but that's only really for the social interaction. For me, computer games lack social interaction, that's why I rarely play them.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I play WoW.

Sometimes wish I'd never gotten into it. I honestly think it's made me dumber.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I play WoW.

Sometimes wish I'd never gotten into it. I honestly think it's made me dumber.

lol I've also played WoW for a few years...

It's not a bad experience. It teaches you some things, like how raiding guilds are all about politics, much like real life sort of =(

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I've played everything from WoW, EQ 1 and 2, FFXI, Eve online, City of Heroes/City of Villains..... I'm sure I'm missing something but those are the majors.

I've been playing WoW since release, and in the original WoW I was in a Top 10 US guild for 8 months. I tried quitting and sold my account for 1200$. When Burning Crusade dropped a month later, I re-levelled. Luckily I've been a much more casual player since then and stopped being such a serious/elitist raider. Currently I have 6 level 80's.

Yeaaaah..... I need to start staying away from MMOs...

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I've played everything from WoW, EQ 1 and 2, FFXI, Eve online, City of Heroes/City of Villains..... I'm sure I'm missing something but those are the majors.

I've been playing WoW since release, and in the original WoW I was in a Top 10 US guild for 8 months. I tried quitting and sold my account for 1200$. When Burning Crusade dropped a month later, I re-levelled. Luckily I've been a much more casual player since then and stopped being such a serious/elitist raider. Currently I have 6 level 80's.

What Server?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Played SWG and WoW seriously.

Dabbled in a few others.

I stopped playing WoW a year or two ago, and am currently waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic (by Bioware Star Wars: The Old Republic). It's coming out in Q1-2 of 2011, and will be the biggest step forward MMO's have yet seen.

[YOUTUBE="DOvbv-LkK6w"]Deceived[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="z0RuR3FREFw"]Hope[/YOUTUBE]

:yes:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
i played swg from around until jump to lightspeed. it was fun and intense. i made a lot of great friends and i feel like the experience helped me grow as a person.

after that, i played wow until burning crusade came out. was in 2 separate guilds that raided and went up through first few bosses of aq40.

now i stay away from them because it can suck away my life instantly. i just stick to normal rpg's. i play pokemon a lot. haha.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
now i stay away from them because it can suck away my life instantly. i just stick to normal rpg's. i play pokemon a lot. haha.
:solidarity: YES.

Normal RPGs are fun. But TypeC is the closest I get to an MMO :laugh: (obviously minus the RPG b/c I'm not roleplaying... but you know what I mean)

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't played any in almost a year now. I started out with DAoC after watching a boyfriend play...Thought it looked fun, wanted to give it a try, took over his best friends account and fell in love... Several of us from my guild in DAoC gave WoW a try, thought it was too easy and went back to DAoC. A few of my friends and I toyed around with City of Heroes, SWG, and WAR...

I haven't had as much fun in any MMO as I did with DAoC so I gave them up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have done my tours in some major MMOs (WoW, EQ2, CoH/CoV, Lineage, Matrix, etc.) but eventually got bored and hadn't played an MMO for at least a year or two. I finally went back into CoH last month for a few weeks, just to examine it again (I think I left around Release 9 and now they are up to release 18)... but it just expired and I might or might not renew.

My issue is typically this: I like the freedom of playing solo but I get bored playing solo; meanwhile, I like hanging out with people I know and doing things with them, but typically we're scattered all over the country and can't coordinate times, and I waste a lot of time doing nothing while waiting for people to show up.

PUGs were about the best median I could come up with, but those become a grind and I don't know the people I'm with, but I like knowing the people I'm with.

I'm sort of back into just solo PC games, if I'm going to invest time in something. I dunno. Maybe if I was like some of my other friends and had an actual local group of friends who played at certain scheduled times that I could handle, then that would work for me.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The NT is trespassing.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

I used to lead a notable role-playing guild back in the days too, quit playing just before Burning Crusade was released.

Made some acquitances, had great fun, felt a lot of stress and wasted countless hours (well, actually I kept counting them, but anyways... :D).

It was actually a nice experience learning how to lead a group of people with few common interests. Learning how to motivate people you have no control over...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The NT is trespassing.

In the Guardhouse?

This isn't your private forum. Take it to Private Forum if you want me out.
(Or I'll whack you with my Blade of Dissection.)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been playing MMOs for about 11 years now (started with EQ1 back in 1999) but haven't played much in the past couple of years. Too much going on in my life to really want to commit to one.

Currently playing EQ2X and liking the no-subscription model. Doesn't make me feel like I'm bound or anything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Currently playing EQ2X and liking the no-subscription model. Doesn't make me feel like I'm bound or anything.

How does that work? I am used to the month-by-month manual model (or recurring subscription model).

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does that work? I am used to the month-by-month manual model (or recurring subscription model).

Basically, you download the game and can use either an existing account or a new one but you can get right into the game. The catch is that they have different "tiers" of subscription levels and the lower levels have a lot of restrictions, starting at Bronze and moving up to Platinum. Bronze is free, Silver has a one time payment, and Gold & Platinum are subscription based.

Some examples of the restrictions are the amount of bagging slots you have, race & class selection, what kind of items you can use, and whether or not you can use the broker or not.

I'm a Silver level right now and am content to stay there. I may subscribe if it comes down to it, but right now I'm cool.

For more information: http://everquest2.com/_themes/default/images/extended/membershipMatrix.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, got it. Reminds me of the AD&D model, for example. But basically you get bare-bones for free and pay for anything extra.

Which isn't a bad deal as long as you are not competing with differently tiered players.

Stol11

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I hope you don't consider this an NT takeover, but I would like to join in the discussion.

This is because I hate MMORPG's. I think its mainly because I can't play them very well, but also because there is no decent achievement, its very difficult to feel like you're ''winning'' (although anyone playing is most certainly losing). The greatest achievement is going up another level for killing a few things, which must get a bit repetitive after a while. MMORPG's seem to me for obsessive personalities that don't have any real goals (not gearing their obsession towards anything productive).

A good military strategy game is a lot more fun in my opinion, you get to replay historical scenarios and you actually learn something in the process. Taking over the world is always fun. I can also readily dip in and out, depending on whether there is anything worthwhile to do.