• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and Art

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This'll be fun :D

Okay, so, this comes out of the other thread I just saw asking about SJ artists, and from me immediately thinking about my mom, an ESFJ, who "doesn't get it".

Quite often I catch her saying, "That's pretty," or, "That's stupid, who'd pay for that?"

We also had quite a knockdown-drag out about Lady Gaga's recent fashion statement (i.e. the "Meat Dress"), and about how she thought it was disgusting (as opposed to me, who thought it was beautiful).

So, basically, here's how it's gonna work:

Below, I'll present to you a series of paintings from various artistic eras. You're to comment (a simple sentence of like/don't like and why/why not) on each of them.

OR

You can answer down at the bottom a few simple questions about what you think of art and the "high class" culture surrounding art.

It's your choice.

So, are you ready, my lovely SJ friends? :D

Let's go! :workout:

The Mona Lisa

385px-Mona_Lisa.jpeg

Starry Night

van-gogh-vincent-starry-night-7900566.jpg

Gleaners

750px-Millet_Gleaners.jpg

Water Liles

625px-Claude_Monet_-_Water_Lilies_-_1906%2C_Ryerson.jpg

Guernica

picasso_guernica1937.jpg

Onement 1

Newman-Onement_1.jpg

Campbell's Soup Can (Tomato)

pop_art_andy_warhol_campbell_tomato_soup20can.jpg

Questions:

Do you prefer more "useful" art (simple paintings used for decoration), or do you prefer art that has meaning in it, even if you don't understand it?

Do you like to learn the meanings behind art?

Do you think you "get" art?

What do you think of art such as that of Picasso or Andy Warhol, with less realism and more meaning behind the face value?

Do you enjoy going to museums?

What do you think of people who go to museums?

What do you think of artists?

Enjoy! :blush:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll do both!
The Mona Lisa
Eh. A portrait. Overrated.

Starry Night
Lovely. I really like his style - especially the textures and lines.

Gleaners
I like the historical aspect, but it doesn't strike me as beautiful - it's too straightforward and not as aesthetically interesting. More like a book illustration than something to put on the wall. (My mom - INFJ - loves this sort of thing, though.)

Water Liles
I like some of his water lily paintings more than others - it really depends on the color and the layout. I guess I don't like the color in this one as much.

Guernica
I think that I'd like it more if I knew a reason/story behind the style and the layout - i.e. if I took some time to analyze it, maybe with the help of someone who knew what they were talking about. In the meantime, not so much.

Onement 1
Paintings like this are nice when I like the colors, and I don't like these colors at all, so I don't like it.

I love his bold, cartoonish style, I love that he was open about the message he was sending with these, and I love that the Campbell's Soup cans were kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I would also totally put something like this up on my wall.
Questions:
Do you prefer more "useful" art (simple paintings used for decoration), or do you prefer art that has meaning in it, even if you don't understand it?
I guess, both. I like art with meaning that isn't "useful" when it's up in a gallery - i.e. it's still useful in a certain context - but preferably the art I'll have in my home will be decorative and meaningful. If it's not decorative, then my house will be full of ugly art. If it's not meaningful, it will be shallow and materialistic and easily replaced, instead of personal and classic.
Yes!!! Especially if it's historical.
It depends on whether the artist is fairly obvious with their message. If they aren't, I feel like I need some historical background and/or someone to bounce ideas off of (which is why I always go to museums with friends, so we can discuss the art as we look at it). Also, some abstract art has no meaning whatsoever, and was an effort of blind creativity. I know this for a fact because my dad (INTP) used to paint excellent abstract paintings that had no meaning for him whatsoever.
What do you think of art such as that of Picasso or Andy Warhol, with less realism and more meaning behind the face value?
I don't get Picasso, but I get Warhol. And in my opinion, Warhol's work is much more realistic and pleasing to the eye. I don't know enough about Picasso's work to "get" it, but I feel like I'd enjoy Warhol's work for purely aesthetic reasons even if I didn't know the story behind it. So it really depends.
With friends, yeah. (As mentioned above.)
I dunno. They're probably a diverse enough group that it wouldn't be fair to judge them all at once.
Again, can't put all of them into a little box. Some of them paint for the sake of painting, some have a social/political message, etc. But generally (and this goes for museumgoers, too), the more pretentious they are, the less I like them.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'll probably write out a more articulate response later, but given that right now I'm ill and high on Nyquil this response will have to suffice:

I adore Monet and Van Gogh. I hate Rothko with the burning passion of 1000 suns. I know you didn't post Rothko, but I just had to throwit out there that I despise him.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Oooh, I like this thread. Will reply later.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It depends. I can enjoy both. Personally though I don’t like putting pictures up in my home as decoration.

Yes, I like to know what the layers of meaning and context are.

I don’t “get” every piece of art I look at but generally I think I can appreciate art.

I don't think that because the (superficial) technique is less realistic that that makes the meaning more meaningful. I think this depends more on the sincerity of the artist. Vermeer for example I find very profound and complex although his work is realistic and was intended for decoration of people's homes.

Yes. Especially art museums. I’m not so interested in historical or science exhibitions.

I never thought about this. Nothing much I guess. Every person will be there for a different reason and the fact that they’re there doesn’t tell me much about what kind of people they are.

I think truly sincere and gifted artists are rare. Some artists are just disturbed people who need an outlet. They’re maybe sincere but they produce a kind of creative diarrhea. Some artists can be more of the intellectually pretentious sort but want to be “deep”. But artists who are really authentic and at the same time have a real ability to communicate something relevant to others are relatively few.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most SJs I know like museums of any kind. If it's in a museum, then there is already a stamp of value on the art, especially one of historical significance (ie. the artist played a role in some art movement).

My ISFJ mom mostly likes realistic art that is aesthetically pleasing. She told me once that she likes art in general (and she married two offbeat artist types, so she really has a thing for creative weirdos), but doesn't know enough about what is "good" to have much of an opinion on a lot of it. That struck me as an interesting comment, because it would never occur to me to need a consensus before forming an opinion on whether a piece of art is good or bad. It illustrated Fe for me very well - value is determined by an external gauge. I think this is why she also need a back story on the painting - what it means, when it was painted, why it was painted, who the artist was/is as a person, etc. This shows her the value, and her Si appreciates this info to complete her impression of the art. If she comes across something similar in the future, then less explanation is needed to prove value, because she's already familiar with the concept.

Of course, I also think everyone responds to art in a purely aesthetic manner also, and that combines with other impressions to make a call on whether it's "good" or "bad".

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Intresting topic.

This'll be fun :D

Okay, so, this comes out of the other thread I just saw asking about SJ artists, and from me immediately thinking about my mom, an ESFJ, who "doesn't get it".

Quite often I catch her saying, "That's pretty," or, "That's stupid, who'd pay for that?"

We also had quite a knockdown-drag out about Lady Gaga's recent fashion statement (i.e. the "Meat Dress"), and about how she thought it was disgusting (as opposed to me, who thought it was beautiful).

So, basically, here's how it's gonna work:

Below, I'll present to you a series of paintings from various artistic eras. You're to comment (a simple sentence of like/don't like and why/why not) on each of them.

OR

You can answer down at the bottom a few simple questions about what you think of art and the "high class" culture surrounding art.

It's your choice.

So, are you ready, my lovely SJ friends? :D

Let's go! :workout:

The Mona Lisa

I have never understood the appeal. It's a picture of a fairly
Insignificant woman.
Starry Night

A picture of the sky with far too many colours in it. Not at all realistic.

Gleaners
More intresting then the previous two, but not by much.
Water Liles

Doesn't intrest me at all, I'm afraid. I'd rather go and look at actual Water Lillies then a picture of them, at least that's outdoors.

Guernica

Huh? What on earth is that all about. Oh god it's horrible.

Onement 1

Not really sure what this is, but it's not as offensive to my eyes as the last one.

Okay... What purpose does this serve? It's a picture of a tin of soup, something I can see everyday in the shops. I always liked to see pictures of things which I normally wouldn't be able to see, like battles and great Heroes

Questions:

I like Pictures of Battles and pictures of Heroes and war leaders. I like having pictures on the wall, but I like them to be important or intresting. I don't see the point of Art for Arts sake, it should always be useful.
Not really, As I say I like more traditional Art, where there is only one meaning to it

If you mean the modern arty rubbish which means walking around a gallery and acting pretensiously, then no. It's not really my thing, I'm a great reader and film lover, but pictures I never got.

To be honest, I don't see the point. It is in my eyes worthless.

Yes. There great. But I do prefer the historical ones, and going around stately homes and such.

No issues, it shows a keen intrest in the past

Depends which sort. I think a lot of them are up there own backside pretensious idiots. But there are a few who I like.

Enjoy! :blush:

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the responses everyone!

It's great seeing all the different opinions to things :blush:

I'll try to get around to detailed responses over time!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always liked to see pictures of things which I normally wouldn't be able to see, like battles and great Heroes

Questions:

I like Pictures of Battles and pictures of Heroes and war leaders. I like having pictures on the wall, but I like them to be important or intresting.
http://theempirefurniture.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/napoleon1.jpg

I've always liked this one. :D I like it because of these things:
1. the craftsmanship! the skill!
2. the historical context
3. just how much of Napoleon's ego you can see in there :laugh:

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The Mona Lisa

From the painting-technic view, it's very high quality. Exquisite, to be honest. But it's rather dull, and especially since the invention of photography, this picture lost it's exquisitiviness. I mean, nowadays anyone can take pictures of anyone. There's no longer such a need for high quality portraits as there used to be.

Starry Night

If I wouldn't know better, I'd say this was drawn by a kid. Not much appreciation by me.

Gleaners

I like this one the most, since it has some historical value. It shows what the life used to be back then...

Water Liles

Don't like. It looks dirty and messy.

Guernica

Yeah... makes me think: "Maan, whateva ya smokin', pass it on me man!"

I wouldn't feel very comfortable with this in my room. It hurts my mind. :D

Onement 1

I wouldn't call this art. It might be used for research on what's art, but it's no art by itself.

This is no "art"-art. It's just art for some commercial usage.

Well.. if I'd take some art here... it would likely be black-n-white photographs of some important events or places. Actually I have photograph of an mushroom cloud as my desktop picture. I think it looks pretty neat. But whatever I choose, I choose for visual reasons only. I don't care who made the art or if it has any value.

No. They are meaningless to me.

No. I do get the visual aspects of it of course. I can tell which painting is well painted and which one isn't. But I don't get the art-part of it at all. But I do understand if someone else gets it. I would never call an art I don't like as garpage.

I think Picasso was channeling his insanity through works. And perhaps Warhol too. I don't like their art to begin with, but it doesn't bother me at all that someone else is liking it.

Depends very much on the type of a museum. I'd love to visit British Museum. I think I'm most interested in ancient history and devices and technologies used back then. I'm not so interested in art and people of the era.

Well, as long as they understand that you can be cultured without going to museums, then I'm fine with them.

That their way of life is rather understood by the general population and that their jobs are rather poor ones, especially money-wise. It's rather difficult to make your living as an artist.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i just want to throw out there that my mom is an ESFJ and she and i, as far as i know, seem to have quite similar art appreciation. we both appreciate scenic beauty, art that makes you "feel good", realism that is portrayed positively/beautifully, non-abstract artwork that has a lot of meaning or history behind it.

i should ask her what her more specific opinions are though, i'm curious now. should be back with that :yes:

Patches said:
I hate Rothko with the burning passion of 1000 suns.

SO. OVERRATED. like $72 billion overrated. i'd say that i would give him $10 for that pink/orange/white one, but really i could just paint a good facsimile myself.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Mona Lisa
I can really take this one or leave it... I can appreciate it because for someone like me portraits are impossible, so the details in this are impressive to me.

Starry Night
This has always reminded me of a Dr. Seuss book... So it makes me think of my childhood. :wubbie:

Gleaners
This one makes me think how advanced everything is now and makes me think of the simpler times...

Water Liles
I like the colors in this one, but the style isnt' my favorite.

Guernica
This one has too much going on in it and I don't care much for it. Never been a huge fan of abstract type art anyway.

Onement 1
I could have painted this... Too boring. The only thing it would be good for is art decor to break up some color in a room.

Eh, whatever, I guess anything can be inspiration to someone.

I prefer stuff with meaning, but that doesn't mean that "useful" art doesn't have meaning to those that buy it....or make it. :smile:

Only if the piece really caught my attention.

Some art I do, some I don't. I've seen some stuff that people I know created while under the influence of drugs, and I'm fairly certain I'll never get it.

To each their own. Every artist has their own vision.

Absolutely.

I think they are curious people who want to expand their horizons and learn more.

I think they are great, as long as they can also keep their feet on the ground, too! I know some are a bit out there!

Lao

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Questions:

I would say I "understand" more useful art. But I enjoy going to museums with a lot of more abstract art that I do not understand. I will readily follow a museum guide so that he/she can provide the context/meaning behind art.

Do you like to learn the meanings behind art?[/B]
Absolutely.

Usually not. I usually like to read the placard next to the art, or else read reviews/articles about the specific art pieces or the exhibit as a whole. Or else I would like to find a guide in the museum to show me around.

N/A

Absolutely.

They like to see things that they can generally not find out in "the real world".

I wish I could live such a bohemian lifestyle!