• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] ESFJ hates me

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Background: I am a systems analyst in a small company. Most days, I shut myself in my office (a converted closet) and work on software projects all day long. Seriously, I can go a whole week without saying more than a few words to my co-workers.

One of the bookkeepers has decided that she dislikes me. She is strong ESFJ (family pictures and cute sayings all over her desk, feelings easily hurt). This lady also has a history of conflict with other staff members. She seems to target her animosity towards one person for a while then they make up and are best buddies.

Apparently, I am "the one" right now. If I ignore her, will she give up after a while?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Ignore her? no way, that'll just piss her off even more and make you seem arrogant/uncaring in her eyes, validating her emotions. I think the thing to do with Fe-doms that are pissed at you is to "kill em with kindness" and politeness. Don't let her steamroll you, but be diplomatic and honest.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wow... I wonder what type you would think I was... I have no family pictures on my desk at all or on my PC as the background or screen saver... And zero cute sayings anywhere on my desk...or anywhere else in my life. :huh:

And I rather dislike conflict. Most of the time if I'm not happy with someone I keep it to myself and eventually just get over it. Oh yeah, and it takes a lot to upset me, hurt my feelings, or tick me off. So either, she's an unhealthy ESFJ or not one at all.

Although... for me... if I'm not happy with someone it is best that they leave me alone for aday or so and I'll just get over it myself and be fine...

PS... when you say ignore her... Are you saying she's actually coming at you and personally attacking you? If she is... Sheesh, she has some issues.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Background: I am a systems analyst in a small company. Most days, I shut myself in my office (a converted closet) and work on software projects all day long. Seriously, I can go a whole week without saying more than a few words to my co-workers.

One of the bookkeepers has decided that she dislikes me. She is strong ESFJ (family pictures and cute sayings all over her desk, feelings easily hurt). This lady also has a history of conflict with other staff members. She seems to target her animosity towards one person for a while then they make up and are best buddies.

Apparently, I am "the one" right now. If I ignore her, will she give up after a while?

What, if any interactions or contact have you had with her? When and why do you two cross paths?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

sounds more immature than myself, I don't know what you should do my first inclination would be to bitch slap her. but than you'd get fired, so don't do that.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Note to self- anyone who gets offended easily, values family and cute things is an ESFJ.

Why do you care? Just ignore her, she has nothing to do with you really. Just do your job and don't let yourself be targeted.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Too late for that.

Funny that this thread comes mere days after this post:
I would think difficulties exist whether or not you care about people's perception of you. They (we) still have to live among people after all. There are those who take real action when they are displeased with attitudes different from their own, even more so when part of that attitude is lack of concern for their opinions.

. She seems to target her animosity towards one person for a while then they make up and are best buddies.
I wonder what happens to her targets who don't become best buddies with her.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think that it's too late to be honest. If they just actively ignored them, politely asked them to leave them alone when this "ESFJ" does something etc then it should be fine... And if not then they could always tell their supervisor that one of their employees is hindering their ability to work because of constant harassment.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It's too late as in she's already been targeted. Ignoring her is one way to manage being targeted. It makes sense not to engage her, but she should watch her back to some extent and not ignore everything the woman gets up to that has to with her. It would help to have their interactions well documented and known to other coworkers. And it certainly helps that the woman already has a reputation for pot-stirring like this.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I meant not too late to fix it, I agree with the fact that it's too late to avoid it. But yeah. Just gotta take some action to get her to leave you alone.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Why are people assuming this person's perception of being targeted is correct?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

It's probably not as bad as you make it out to be.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype

why are you scrutinizing this person's perception here vs all of the other hundreds of perceptions that get posted here daily?

somebody's sensitvvvvvvveeeee, awwwww :hug:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
why are you scrutinizing this person's perception here vs all of the other hundreds of perceptions that get posted here daily?

somebody's sensitvvvvvvveeeee, awwwww :hug:

That's no secret. But thanks for the hugs! :smooch:

and what makes you think I don't?

rav3n

Not usually, from my experience. Until you give her the attention and respect she feels she deserves and align your beliefs with hers, she will continue to pick on you.

Somehow, somewhere, whether you intended to or not, you've offended her. This might just be a passing comment about being negative about one of her beliefs or actions that she's done in the past, even though it was a generic statement and you had no idea she indulged in it. Or you don't fit into her perspective of how the world should look, be and act. Or it might be that she feels she ranks you. She guards these beliefs and actions like they're the only way to live and be.

How I've handled the unsolicited attentions of ESFJs is to ignore them to a point and then when the best opportunities presented themselves, buried them. This got them off my tail.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't make a habit of irrationally thinking that people are scheming against me (although I guess there's always a first time). She does have a history of inviting conflict. This person has been involved in at least one screaming incident in the office.

BTW, proteanmix, I love your avatar. Very cool.

It's too late as in she's already been targeted. Ignoring her is one way to manage being targeted. It makes sense not to engage her, but she should watch her back to some extent and not ignore everything the woman gets up to that has to with her. It would help to have their interactions well documented and known to other coworkers. And it certainly helps that the woman already has a reputation for pot-stirring like this.
Thanks, INA. I honestly don't care what she does/says/thinks about me. My only concern is the extent to which my professional reputation is affected.

Somehow, somewhere, whether you intended to or not, you've offended her.
LOL - I seem to go through life unintentionally offending people. Doesn't help that I have a fairly severe hearing impairment that makes conversation difficult (especially with motor mouth SJ's). Hiding in my closet office appears to be a good plan for now.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
. She is strong ESFJ (family pictures and cute sayings all over her desk, feelings easily hurt).

(especially with motor mouth SJ's)

:rolli:

I once had the unfortunate opportunity of interacting with an INFJ who possibly had mental health issues .. Should i then stereotype every INFJ as psychotic? :huh:

I am sorry you are having issues with this woman but with the judgements you are passing at present, i think possibly you may just have some pressing issues with esfj's or are you possibly projecting?? (just asking, have to look at every eventuality)

As an esfj with no pictures or cute sayings on my work desk .. I would speak to management and make them aware of the situation and that on a one to one you are going to talk to this woman amicably to find some kind of resolution but should the situation escalate you'll be bringing to management to step in. Simple.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do tell what she's done to indicate that you are "the one" so we have something to respond to.

The good thing is that you are in an environment where that sort of thing is not usually tolerated, so keep notes on what happens like what was suggested already, and do your best to ignore her. If she keeps it up, report her.

Another possibility is that she doesn't dislike you, but just wants your attention and doesnt know how to get it in a positive way. Sure, that's immature and you don't owe her anything but I was just putting that out there.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't make a habit of irrationally thinking that people are scheming against me (although I guess there's always a first time). She does have a history of inviting conflict. This person has been involved in at least one screaming incident in the office.

A story. One of my colleagues' cube is next to the copier machine. She was sitting on a balance ball at her desk with her chair behind her. My boss comes to the copier to pick up a boatload of copies. She goes into my coworker's cube takes her chair, puts the copies in the chair and off she goes. She comes back 10 minutes later with the chair and pushes it back into the cube and it rolls into my colleague. Never said a word to the coworker, never asked if she could use it, never thanked her, never said sorry for just pushing the chair back in the cube. It's like my coworker didn't even exist. My coworker has disliked my boss ever since. I'm pretty sure my boss didn't think anything of it and would be surprised to know that this woman wouldn't spit on her head if it was on fire.

I'm a worker bee too so I know how these things go. The point of that story is there are countless opportunities to offend someone without you even being aware of it. It could be a poorly worded email, or a project gone awry that everyone passed the buck on, or a thoughtless action you don't even remember. I encourage you to look over your interactions with her and see if anything could've happened between the two of you that could be a simple clarification of intent would stop this.

Another thing is even if you've had no interaction with her, this person could feel you don't like her. Feel your antipathy and disdain (you've communicated that even through this thread) and could be responding to that. For example, it can go like this: you see her in the hall and you avert your eyes and turn up your nose a bit. Your lips tighten. While some people are oblivious to these little body language communications, others read them loud and clear. You know she has a reputation and you feel wary of her because of it. She may be sensing it and is responding in kind.

This may or may not matter to you, but it matters enough for you to make a thread about it. It's up to you if you want to proactively neutralize this situation on your own or go to your HR. She may not even own up to anything (if anything is happening...sorry:doh:). If she doesn't you're back at square one and may have a person with a grudge on your hands. At that point, it's very much up to you and how you handle the situation from that point forward.

BTW, proteanmix, I love your avatar. Very cool.
Thanks. :) Now I've got to look at which one I have up.

I hope this works out for you. LOL - I seem to go through life unintentionally offending people. Doesn't help that I have a fairly severe hearing impairment that makes conversation difficult (especially with motor mouth SJ's). Hiding in my closet office appears to be a good plan for now.

Hmmm. Two things: people who hunker down in their offices are generally perceived as unapproachable and difficult. If people don't think they can work with your professionally because of the aura you're putting out, is it surprising that people respond to you in this way? You may have learned to do this because of the hearing impairment because it's just easier than explaining the situation. It can be frustrating to rehash the same thing over again. There is a woman at my job who has a medical condition that causes her to emit a body odor. She has a pouch that collects fluid drainage and it smells. Thankfully, my boss told me about it and things made sense because I'd smelled her and was like WTF? Do you feel comfortable telling people about your hearing so they can be more understanding and not misinterpret why you act the way you do?