• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] WHY ARE ISFJs SO EMOTIONAL?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
wow this exact scenario happened to me once, except i actually killed the spider but i laughed at her after =)

I like this response better.

Afkan

I totally understand the ISFJs reaction and I wouldn't want to be around that ENFP either. The spaz. *shakes head*
Yeah :yes:

Informative vs. directive. Informative =/= passive aggressiveness.
<sighs in relief> Thank you Pitseleh.

I like this response better.
:yes:

Your post sounds quite emotional itself. :newwink:

Anyway, you guys both have secondary F. Thing is, the ISFJ has the EXTROVERTED F. Which means everyone around her has the "privilege" of experiencing each and mood swing of hers with her!
I heart ENFPs, although I'm not sure they realize how emotional they themselves come across. To the general pop regardless of type, people typically express perceiving ENFPs as way more expressive and emo. than ISFJs. Just sayin', in the OP it sounds more like that you feel annoyed by the ISFJ (and maybe should acknowledge that this is a subjective experience) and less like you are accurately describing ISFJs when you say they are "So Emotional."
....please at least consider the possibility.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay...my mum, I have decided is an ISFJ, but really REALLY unhealthly, so she doesn't really count, because mostly I find ISFJ's rather endearing, and just plain lovely, if some times a bit convential. Worrying seems to be their natural state, but they make me want to cuddle them.
In my mum's case, "emotional" doesn't begin to describe it. Really. And I'm NFP. And she used to do this thing where she'd just go over and over....and over the same thought. Like a broken record. So bad, and so often that a psychologist suggested I'd have to move out and break contact, just to maintain my sanity. She had hella fe too...a nightmare for a Fi. For 17 years I lived through every mood swing, and I had to be a virtual mind reader. I do believe she was an exception, 'cause ISFJ's tend to be gentle souls in my experience since.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
... but it was NOTHING to cry about.

I'm wondering if they're not unhealthy ISFJs?

Your opinions?

Just because they are crying about something you are not emotionally invested in does not make them an "unhealthy" version of ISFJ. Since when does expressing your emotions equate to being unhealthy?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Man. I came back to the forum, was hoping to spend a little time on here today. And then I read the title of this thread, and remembered why I don't come on here very much.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ISFJ is one of the types I have the most trouble communicating with. I think it has to do with being easily offended (both by my my thoughts and words).

Afkan

ISFJ is one of the types I have the most trouble communicating with. I think it has to do with being easily offended (both by my my thoughts and words).
Maybe.
Or maybe you are extra-sensitive to their taking offense.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For example, my ISFJ friend (one of the two females) slept over last night. In the morning, she got an upsetting call, and she started BAWLING. When she hung up, she told me the reason, and I almost face-palmed. She did have reason to be upset, but it was NOTHING to cry about

This is probably my Fi talking, but I don't see why anyone else should determine what is appropriate for someone to cry about. Most of the time, you only see the surface of their issue, and have no idea the full context. I also don't think that a strong emotional reaction invalidates the feeling behind it, and there are different cultural & even family standards for what is "dramatic" (very much a "Fe judgment" determined by groups). People react differently to different things because something may be very important to someone else that is not very important to you, and that does not make them wrong.

What I like about ISFJs being VERY emotionally expressive (as I'd like to distinguish that from being simply emotional, or emotionally unstable - all different), is that you usually know where you stand with them, and it's relatively easy to navigate their emotions as they gives you tons of clues to work with.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So ? Both of your statements are full of holes.

How so? I'm talking from my personal experience with them. They get easily offended with my teasing nature and tend to see me as the devil. Where are the holes?

Afkan

How so? I'm talking from my personal experience with them. They get easily offended with my teasing nature and tend to see me as the devil. Where are the holes?

You are speaking from subjective experience. A matter of opinion.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You are speaking from subjective experience. A matter of opinion.

You don't say....

Did I ever claim otherwise? Do you have a problem Afkan? Do you wanna take this outside or something? Do you want a herbal tea?

Afkan

You don't say....

Did I ever claim otherwise? Do you have a problem Afkan? Do you wanna take this outside or something? Do you want a herbal tea?

No, lol. I am challenging your implications, not you. Isn't that the purpose of this forum? No need to be offended, its not personal.