• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How detailed are you?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm questioning my detailed-ness.......I'm finding that I don't care as much as the other SJs (ISTJ, ESTJ, and ESFJ) around here. In fact, their attention to details that are unrelated to the big picture/issue at hand really annoys me.

Am I alone here?

gromit

likes this
I'm not an SJ but IZthe411 said I could post anyway... :devil:

I never thought I was that detail-oriented, and I often am not, but one way I have realized I care about details is in an aesthetic sense. I notice things like how raindrops have collected on leaves after a storm, the shape and material of objects like dishes, the type of bottle that shampoo comes in, and things like that. In the right mood I can spend HOURS working intensely on the intricacies of something like animal fur on a drawing, going over it until I feel satisfied with the result.

In my engineering classes I’d sometimes get killed on tests for stuff like simple addition errors or forgetting to carry 2x to the next line or something. I have trouble remembering birthdays and special days like that, too… so I always thought I was bad with details, but now I’m realizing that this perception about myself maybe isn’t entirely true.

I know it's the SJ forum, but SPs (SFPs?) do you consider yourself detail-oriented? How so?

I will make a new thread...?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm questioning my detailed-ness.......I'm finding that I don't care as much as the other SJs (ISTJ, ESTJ, and ESFJ) around here. In fact, their attention to details that are unrelated to the big picture/issue at hand really annoys me.

Am I alone here?

I guess the fact that I haven't noticed this with other SJs here must mean that I don't notice details much. Hahaha

Admittedly, when I do noticed details for some odd reason it is extremely pleasurable. :happy2:

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No, you are not.

I look at the big picture first, and, only if the plan needs adjustments, I go into the details.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Wow....so how did we get that rep?

Because most typology information sites´ authors can´t distinguish between mental processes (cognitive functions) and personality (the result of a mix of genetics, environment, and life experiences). Or they mix both concepts to make such weird associations.

In my opinion.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I went to a orientation recently that had us do the following activity.

Partner up with another person. One person is Person A and the other is Person B. Sit back to back with your partner. Person A is given a drawing similar to this:

Geometric+Shapes+Castle.jpg

and person A had to describe the individual shapes and placement of the shapes to person B to draw it. Then we got another picture and switched.

They explained the point of the activity was to show us communication gaps in one person's view of accuracy, description, and detail vs. another's and how to bridge that gap. Everybody's drawing looked liked a drunk left-handed monkey with PD was given a box of crayons, except one team's...theirs looked pretty decent. I guess that activity changed my mind about what details means.

Read your contracts people!

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Nice post. I did a similar exercise in a group job interview.

By the way, this is the first time I see a moderator posting here.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am a bit of a bugger in that sometimes i am so detailed but at other times i am so vague, you are unable to connect the dots although i know what i'm talking about.

I am PMing with an INTp at present and his thinking is so different to mine that i have to work harder to think outside the box and consider other possibilities. What i am coming to see is that sometimes you can express yourself clearly and concisely and still use few words .. My only concern is that you then start speaking/writing figuratively and not literally.

It's all a learning curve.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I went to a orientation recently that had us do the following activity.

Partner up with another person. One person is Person A and the other is Person B. Sit back to back with your partner. Person A is given a drawing similar to this:

Geometric+Shapes+Castle.jpg

and person A had to describe the individual shapes and placement of the shapes to person B to draw it. Then we got another picture and switched.

They explained the point of the activity was to show us communication gaps in one person's view of accuracy, description, and detail vs. another's and how to bridge that gap. Everybody's drawing looked liked a drunk left-handed monkey with PD was given a box of crayons, except one team's...theirs looked pretty decent. I guess that activity changed my mind about what details means.

Read your contracts people!

Uhh, that's not a very hard activity. It wouldn't be that difficult. I would separate it into multiple parts, then recreate the entire drawing step by step, telling my partner what to draw and where. No way I'm letting some other people beat me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
By the way, this is the first time I see a moderator posting here.
Wow, most mods do avoid the Guardhouse. I've really only seen fidelia here recently, and besides that... :laugh: Wow, I had never really thought about it. I guess it's because there are no definite SJ mods (if I remember correctly).

I think I'm pretty detail oriented. When people miss little details, it pisses me off. I think I would be a very good copy editor. But when it comes to getting things done, my thought process involves deciding on my bigger goal and then deciding what to do in order to achieve that goal. Just like what other SJs have said here.

But I'm still one of those people who feels the need to get out a pen to correct spelling errors on random postings on the street... :doh: So I guess the answer is: I'm detail oriented, but I don't get stuck on the details most of the time. (A notable exception being: when I see a movie and love it until the last five minutes, I hate the movie. Those five minutes kill it.)

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Wow, most mods do avoid the Guardhouse. I've really only seen fidelia here recently, and besides that... :laugh: Wow, I had never really thought about it. I guess it's because there are no definite SJ mods (if I remember correctly).

Or because that, even when "fighting", we are too civilized.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm detailed beyond detailed about certain things, and absolutely slapdash about others.

For example -- day-to-day housework = slapdash. I don't care, don't want to, never feel like it.

However, if I have invited someone over for dinner, I can't begin to describe the trouble I take. Every last nuance has to be perfect, and not even just perfect, but has to be memorable, exquisite, transport you with delight, I mean, my expectations for what I can pull off are HIGH. Also if I give a gift. The gift itself has to be just so, but also the wrapping has to take your breath away, and the card has to go with the wrapping paper, and I might fuss two or three times with what color and type of ribbon, etc. I can't just do things like that. They have to be endlessly fretted over. I enjoy it but it also makes me a nervous wreck.

At work, I'm terrified to turn things in that are not accurate, so I check, double check, triple check, and I'm crushed if I miss something because it feels like I can't try any harder, so if that's the limit of my ability, wow. It took a long time to learn that everybody makes mistakes.

But it depends on how much responsibility I'm given, too. One boss double and triple checks everything himself and does not give me final proofing rights, so I don't care how it gets entered. He's going to change it anyway.

If it's mine, it gets fussed over, long story short.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
^^ Well, said!

I start out with the big picture, and work my way backward, I guess. I see what I want to accomplish and then I figure out the necessary steps to get there... And each of those steps is incredibly detailed for me. My academic coach figured that out last night after we spoke on the phone... I'm pretty sure by the end of the conversation that he probably assumed I was very anal retentive... Not really much of an assumption though, it's pretty much true.

When it comes to watching movies or looking at pictures, I seem to be the one that catches the flaws in movies... Like when they show an actor in a scene and he's not wearing a jacket, and the pan back to them and magically they've now got a jacket on... Drives me insane. In pictures I tend to notice details of the background instead of just focusing on the main image... I guess I like to study the picture as a whole, not just the main focal point.

I'm like Tiltyred... If it's not something that interests me, I'm probably not gonna give a rat's ass about details... But if it's something I'm really into I probably overdo it on details.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is because of the way the details come together that we can see the big picture.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I quite often pay attention to details, but I don't feel like I'm being obsessive about it. Actually, even though I pay attention to details, I can ignore them just as well. I'm much more obsessed about the functions of things, rather than it's details. Being a self-aware ISTJ, I can also take a look at the bigger picture and try to see the importance of fine detail in contrast to the whole.

In other words, I have no problems using devices that are partly broken, cheap or just plain ugly. Also, when planning things I like to just loose plans, to leave space of possible changes. But on the other hand, I do need to make those plans in the first place. So I need to pay attention to the detail so that I may ignore them.