• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Fe help stat: what do I wear to an academic reception in the evening, no dinner?

Usehername

On a mission
I'm going to a "Convocation Reception" for academic medalists tonight. There's no dinner, and I'm pretty sure we're getting our medals at convocation tomorrow, so how dressy do I dress up?

I had to RSVP with a limit of two guests. Is this wedding-dressy or do I dress down a little?

I'm dreading that walk into the room and suddenly understand the dress code is not what you predicted moment so common to NTs. :doh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would guess it's not wedding dressy, but still nice. Like, nice solid black/gray pants, with a nice solid top, nice shoes. I'm thinking 'Business Casual'.

But, that's all conjecture.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how warm is it, because I'm used to dressing up for such events in rather hot weather and going with a dressy sundress :yes:

though you might not want my opinion since I beleive that in hot weather the sundress is the answer to all life's problems :blush:

suzi_chin_sundress.jpg

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Better to err on the side of caution, Usehername.

I'd rather dress up and be out of place, then dress down and be the center of attention.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been to these things before, and I've noticed that people dress as if they are going to the theater or to a classy cocktail party. i.e., dresses or business attire for the women and ties and/or jackets for the men. Definitely not as formal as I would think a wedding generally is, but still pretty nice.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'd say you can't go wrong with a dress. Not a cocktail dress, though. Just a normal one.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
18.jpg

You can take off the jacket (when there) if you feel too business-like ... but it will help with the chilliness of the day.

Flexible.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can't go wrong with a non-slutty skirt and a blouse, for pretty much any occasion. I went to a similar thing (awards ceremony/fundraising gala) recently and most wore blouse/skirt or dresses.

Reminds me of the girl who wore a really skanky miniskirt, very high heels and low-cut top to a small, local scientific conference! Don't do that...highly amusing for observers, though, lol.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how about something like this?
_5464994.jpg

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Yeah, when in doubt, call on the Little Black Dress. Spice it up a little maybe.

I love that dress, whatever.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Skirt and blouse, slacks and blouse; you may want to have a nice jacket as well since I know what kind of weather you're talking about (same kind I'm used to growing up). As a comparison I'd likely go with black trousers, collared white shirt, black jacket, black belt, black shined up shoes, and one of my neutral patterned ties or my maroon tie (loves my maroon tie).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe...but i might feel a bit under dressed in slacks if everyone else was in cocktail attire...but i wouldn't feel overdressed in a simple elegant dress.