• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] istj and work

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
what is it about work that ISTJs like?
in theory, should every ISTJ love working?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my istj does NOT enjoy working, but he does enjoy money and tends to get bored sitting around the house, so he goes to work :)

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

What the hell is that?

We don't dance out the door everyday to go work, happy to have been born to serve.

We do work efficiently because it has to be done, this is reality.

Personally, I like my current job because because all I do is sit at a computer all day and read books and surf the net.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
^ Take Five said it all.

But, I like my job because it allows me to travel around lots of countries, and go to events where you can get in touch with people form foreign Governments.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
What the hell is that?

We don't dance out the door everyday to go work, happy to have been born to serve.

We do work efficiently because it has to be done, this is reality.

Personally, I like my current job because because all I do is sit at a computer all day and read books and surf the net.

Oopsie, Im sorry if what I asked offended you, it's just that I read so much about ISTJs and it usually emphasis a work as something that is important to them, I suppose I misinterpreted an idea of "have to do it" for "want to do it"

But, let me ask this now, do you (or ISTJs) have a difficult time separating work from play? By this, I mean, if you are having "fun" at work, do you feel like you're not working hard enough? Does "work" have to be something unenjoyable?

I do understand that you can "like" what you do, but do you find that you will never look forward to going to work?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oopsie, Im sorry if what I asked offended you, it's just that I read so much about ISTJs and it usually emphasis a work as something that is important to them, I suppose I misinterpreted an idea of "have to do it" for "want to do it"

But, let me ask this now, do you (or ISTJs) have a difficult time separating work from play? By this, I mean, if you are having "fun" at work, do you feel like you're not working hard enough? Does "work" have to be something unenjoyable?

I do understand that you can "like" what you do, but do you find that you will never look forward to going to work?

I used to work at a very demanding job-that took up a lot of hours and my free time. The job was my wife!

But I loved what I did. I mean- sometimes it sucked- working all through the night and the like-but the environment was very stimulating- It was a fast paced environment, smart people, and each year we had a bunch of college recruits hit the floor, so it was always fresh.

My new job is a different story. Sure the hours are better- my quality of life outside of work is great- but I work with some, not all, idiots. The work isn't as interesting, and I have people who are very caught up in the stupidest things that don't affect the big picture- it kills me.

I actually look forward to weekends now. Not that I didn't before, but I really hate having to go to work sometimes.

Type doesn't dictate your habits towards work. If it's not interesting or stimulating to me, I won't be motivated to do it. I think that's how most people are. Sometimes you have to just buckle down and do it. I think a lot of SJs are very comfortable working in a process oritented role- but I don't. I would hate to have to come in and do the same thing every day over and over again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I like to enjoy working... Meaning, I enjoy working, if the job is enjoyable and I feel like I'm making a contribution and serving a purpose.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

Work is just what you have to do to get by. If it's fun, great. If not, it has to be done anyway. No use whining about it, just get it done.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Work is just what you have to do to get by. If it's fun, great. If not, it has to be done anyway. No use whining about it, just get it done.

Or just get another job. Or just hunt and fish for survival. Or any other possible scenario. There is life outside of our indoctrinated format.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Or just get another job. Or just hunt and fish for survival. Or any other possible scenario. There is life outside of our indoctrinated format.

Pursuing good opportunities is separate from work ethic and performance. Even assuming you do have a chance to jump to a better ship, which isn't always the case, you still have to meet current responsibilities.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Pursuing good opportunities is separate from work ethic and performance. Even assuming you do have a chance to jump to a better ship, which isn't always the case, you still have to meet current responsibilities.

Your responsibilities are under your control though. By this I mean what you consider to be a responsibility is under your control to an extent. My main responsibility is to live my life without harming others. With that in mind I can transform my responsibilities as I see fit. Unless I've signed some sort of contract. But no one forces me to sign any contracts.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
like for example, marriage or a job (aka "work").

Even so, I don't feel shackled to the contract. I can always quit my job, if things go sour. But I'm very careful BEFORE signing contracts anyway and no one can pressure me to sign them. Certainly no sense of feeling useful to society or anything like that.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Even so, I don't feel shackled to the contract. I can always quit my job, if things go sour. But I'm very careful BEFORE signing contracts anyway and no one can pressure me to sign them. Certainly no sense of feeling useful to society or anything like that.

You should make sure you are able to meet your responsibilities before you take big steps. e.g. when you have kids that need to be fed, you shouldn't quit a job you're not crazy for until you have good assurance of another job, or another way to provide for the kids

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You should make sure you are able to meet your responsibilities before you take big steps. e.g. when you have kids that need to be fed, you shouldn't quit a job you're not crazy for until you have good assurance of another job, or another way to provide for the kids

Of course. I won't be unhappy "for the sake" of my kids though. Poor people can be happy too. I'm more inclined to agree with the first part I bolded than the second one. Personally I will only have kids once I've managed to get a job exactly in what I want to work.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz

What the hell is your problem? Is it so impossible for you to really understand the internal desires and motivations of an ISTJ that you have to resort to acting as a patronizing fool? It sounds to me like you have become so stuck up on your lifestyle of being an ENFP that you look at even the ISTJs as being too ignorant to see something that you can see so clearly.

Do I value work just because it's work? Fuck no. There's a difference between WORK and PLEASURE. Look up the definitions. However, I value work because I enjoy seeing the result of efforts. If I have to work to make a living, then I have to work to make a living. There's no getting around it.

However, I enjoy work because I like all of the attributes that come with a unified organization: structure, professionalism, goals, standards. I don't like "work." I admire goal-oriented structure. There's a difference. I'm not born ISTJ and think, "OMG I LOVE TO PUNCH INTO WORK."

It's pathetic reading and listening to people's vast misinterpretations of ISTJs. I'll admit to misinterpreting other types, but I won't go around trying to understand them without a genuine interest in learning about their motivations.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
What the hell is your problem? Is it so impossible for you to really understand the internal desires and motivations of an ISTJ that you have to resort to acting as a patronizing fool? It sounds to me like you have become so stuck up on your lifestyle of being an ENFP that you look at even the ISTJs as being too ignorant to see something that you can see so clearly.

Do I value work just because it's work? Fuck no. There's a difference between WORK and PLEASURE. Look up the definitions. However, I value work because I enjoy seeing the result of efforts. If I have to work to make a living, then I have to work to make a living. There's no getting around it.

However, I enjoy work because I like all of the attributes that come with a unified organization: structure, professionalism, goals, standards. I don't like "work." I admire goal-oriented structure. There's a difference. I'm not born ISTJ and think, "OMG I LOVE TO PUNCH INTO WORK."

It's pathetic reading and listening to people's vast misinterpretations of ISTJs. I'll admit to misinterpreting other types, but I won't go around trying to understand them without a genuine interest in learning about their motivations.

Take a chill pill. I don't know what you are reading into what I said exactly...I never said ISTJs love work any more than others per se. I used the word format to refer to what you called the attributes that come with a unified organization. The structure and what it means is something that I don't see as necessary as your average ISTJ would, and I don't see how that makes me patronizing. And I'm patronizing with everyone, don't feel special :p

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Take a chill pill. I don't know what you are reading into what I said exactly...I never said ISTJs love work any more than others per se. I used the word format to refer to what you called the attributes that come with a unified organization. The structure and what it means is something that I don't see as necessary as your average ISTJ would, and I don't see how that makes me patronizing. And I'm patronizing with everyone, don't feel special :p

You can be patronizing without realizing it. It's called ignorance. I don't give a shit about how you choose to act with every person.

However, it's posts like these that piss me off:

If I'm having fun at work, it doesn't come up as a RED FLAG FOR DANGER. If I'm bored at work, then suddenly start having fun, my internal checklist of what's required of me in terms of tasks and demeanor are still there. If I'm working, and I do something that gets in way of doing my job correctly when the job is a higher priority at the moment, then YES, I will do something about it. Wouldn't everyone?

Telling myself that work never has to be enjoyable is masochism at its finest and just plain stone age thinking. It's MY TIME THAT I AM SPENDING TO WORK. If I can make it enjoyable or find an aspect of it that I like, then I will look forward to that. God, this discussion is so pointless.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You can be patronizing without realizing it. It's called ignorance. I don't give a shit about how you choose to act with every person.

I'm sorry ignorance irks you so. I keep forgetting your ISTJ heart of gold. And if you want don't give a shit about how i choose to act with other people, mind your own business and don't take replies directed at someone other than you out of context when you don't even know who I'm talking about.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haven't read the responses yet but i don't think they "love" work at all. i think they realize it is what has to be done and think there is no sense complaining about something that just is. it's a responsibility and it serves it's purpose. what else is there to question? it's the means to an end...part of life and all that...they think i will do this to the best of my abilities to get that...and we think i will use the best of my abilities to make work feel like that..
work first play later vs work= play or something