• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs, tell me do you hate....

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Hey ISTJs, do you hate having to 'sell yourself', in relation to job interviews. Do think selling yourself this way seems underhanded, manipulative, and just 'not you'? If an ISTJ suffers from this, and wants to rebel and refuses to do it, is this their Fi taking control?

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I'm not a fan of it, but the act of doing so seems necessary to secure employment. It makes sense though. I mean, if a company is going to invest in you, they'll want to get the impression that you're the best person for the job.

I suppose it would be a case of Fi taking control if they chose to rebel against this practice. Good luck landing a job though if the Te doesn't kick in...

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally, yes. It's all about bragging--something I usually don't have the stomach for. You could push it toward the point of dishonesty, which is another thing I don't have much guts for. So the options start to run out...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't like to do it, but sometimes it's necessary, especially with job interviews and personal statements, so I do.

I think all STJs have this "It's all in a day's work" towards their accomplishments, so they don't make a big fuss about them internally, So it's hard to put them on paper or explain them in a way that makes it seem you just solved world hunger.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I do it because I have to, but I feel guilty after doing so, even when I succeed.

I link the "sell yourself" expression to prostitution.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hey ISTJs, do you hate having to 'sell yourself', in relation to job interviews. Do think selling yourself this way seems underhanded, manipulative, and just 'not you'? If an ISTJ suffers from this, and wants to rebel and refuses to do it, is this their Fi taking control?

I think the ISTJ mentality is they're probably more than qualified for the job position and the credentials/references should speak for themselves. Having to sell yourself seems degrading and underhanded, deceptive almost. You're honest people and you expect everyone else to be the same, but sadly, it isn't.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ

I absolutely cannot STAND doing this. It's awful and everything you have said about it seems very true. I feel like it's forcing me to brag, and nobody (including employers) like people who brag about themselves. :unsure: It's impossible to find middle ground! :doh:

I don't know about Fi taking control. :unsure:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
P.S.- I agree with what the others have posted. Its nothing I LIKE to do, it's just that I HAVE to do it in order to survive. :unsure:

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Thanks everyone, what can i do to help my ISTJ see this as a necessity that he needs to just go along with for the sake of the bigger picture

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Tell him to man up!!!!

Seriously- sometimes in life you got to do what doesn't come naturally.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Thanks everyone, what can i do to help my ISTJ see this as a necessity that he needs to just go along with for the sake of the bigger picture
Well I guess it would depend on just what it is he "needs" to just go along with.
Slander? Complete disrespect? Playing games?

Sorry, but the bigger picture really isn't worth this kind of shit!

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

By "selling yourself" you mean of marketing yourself at job interviews?

Of course there's point in showing the best of yourself to the people who will decide your future. But ISTJs don't do this naturally, and doing something you don't like may really get you into awkward situations.

So tell him that job interview is a competition between the job applicants, and the interviewers can't possibly see everything about you. They only see what you show them, and what they can see through you. So failing to show your good qualities is failing at job interview.

And maybe it could be easier to tell what's important to this ISTJ worker, rather than trying to tell how good he is.

For example: "I think that the team spirit within the team is one of the most important things within the team. When a team member can fully trust his team mates, he will feel less stressed and will perform better. That's why I think it's important to maintain a good team spirit". I think that would be far more efficient that just saying: "I'm a good team worker and know how to motivate my co-workers."

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well I guess it would depend on just what it is he "needs" to just go along with.
Slander? Complete disrespect? Playing games?

Sorry, but the bigger picture really isn't worth this kind of shit!

Exactly.

As years go by, more and more I hate materialism and it's effects on people's lives...people think they need to bend themselves to do "what must me done" without realizing if the reasons it must be done really are paramount or not. Money seems to be the end with various means to get there. People overestimate the importance of having a lot of money in life imo.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Exactly.

As years go by, more and more I hate materialism and it's effects on people's lives...people think they need to bend themselves to do "what must me done" without realizing if the reasons it must be done really are paramount or not. Money seems to be the end with various means to get there. People overestimate the importance of having a lot of money in life imo.

Money is a very necessary means to an end. So I'll come out of my comfort zone to show off a little if it helps.

There's a line to be drawn, however. I won't do it for the sake of putting me in a place where I believe it's excess. So I'm very content with having just enough material wise, and being relatively comfortable. If I have to sell myself for that I'll put in the work. But to sing and dance just to get a corner office and few more thousand dollars, along with the added stress? No thanks.