• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ 1.0!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nunchuck skillz :cheese:

Umm.. I dunno. Just talk with us. We like people. :yes:

In that thread FDG was right. Litvyak was very wrong in that he/she described someone that sounds uncaring and dull, and I'm not keen on robots.

Quiet confidence is good, so is intelligence, humor and assertiveness. It wouldn't hurt to have a decent appearance either, but if you're going after more than one girl though, I'd probably be put off.

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nunchuck skillz :cheese:

Umm.. I dunno. Just talk with us. We like people. :yes:

In that thread FDG was right. Litvyak was very wrong in that he/she described someone that sounds uncaring and dull, and I'm not keen on robots.

Quiet confidence is good, so is intelligence, humor and assertiveness. It wouldn't hurt to have a decent appearance either, but if you're going after more than one girl though, I'd probably be put off.

Don't worry, I'm not going after more than one girl. :) I have quiet confidence, intelligence, humor, but I don't have much of the assertiveness... And in our work force food chain, I'm below her so would it be a bad thing to be assertive? And I am caring :) I couldn't throw that away. But I do need to work on not bragging, and being modest.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Dear ISFJ's:

I would like to know how we are different ;) When I initially took the MBTI test I was right on the edge of Introvert and Extrovert, something like 53% E 47% I. Lately, well...more like since April, I feel like my percentages have shifted.

So I guess what I'm asking is...How much of a difference does that 'I' really make over my 'E'? I'd be interested in seeing what I identify more with now because lately...I feel kind of lost. :huh:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Dear ISFJ's:

I would like to know how we are different ;) When I initially took the MBTI test I was right on the edge of Introvert and Extrovert, something like 53% E 47% I. Lately, well...more like since April, I feel like my percentages have shifted.

So I guess what I'm asking is...How much of a difference does that 'I' really make over my 'E'? I'd be interested in seeing what I identify more with now because lately...I feel kind of lost. :huh:

Can't speak for anyone else, of course, but:
My mother is an ESFJ. Our differences can be distilled down to her Fe dominance vs. Si in ISFJ. She processes and decides virtually everything she does in terms of how other people will feel about it, in terms of how other people will view it, etc. She is much, much more concerned than I am about what other people think of her. And, as a positive, much more caring for those around her.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dear ISFJ's:

Psst... here's a secret... it's all BS. ;)

but if you want to be serious about it for a moment take this test and post results.

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

In the end, it's more of which type you identify with most (even tho all of the SJ type descriptions kind of suck).

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Thanks Giggly :hug:
I took the test, results below.
------

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ISFJ

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Sensing (Si): Stabilizing with a predictable standard. Carefully comparing a situation to the customary ways you’ve come to rely on. Checking with past experiences. Stabilizing a situation and invest for future security.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Feeling (Fe): Building trust through giving relationships. Empathically responding to others' needs and take on their needs and values as your own. Checking for respect and trust. Giving and receiving support to grow closer to people.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ESFJ, or INFJ
------

I'll do some more reading on it :) See what seems to fit me best. Thanks guys!

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
That test made me into an NTP, so I don't know how good it is ;). More significantly, though, your dom and aux can be in opposite order on the test than they actually are.

Good luck with your search Malice.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Ok. Please tell me if you identify with the following quote. Kindly do not search or otherwise look up where it's from ;). But I would like to know if you identify with it.
I often describe my thought process as something similar to browsing wikipedia. Starts with one page, find an interesting term and go to another page. This then leads to more and more pages until I forget what I was looking up in the first place. Browsers have back buttons. My mind doesn't work that [way]. I often go off on weird tangents and then spend an hour trying to remember what I meant to think about initially.

How often does something like this happen to other ISFJs? Or other SJs? It happens to me a lot, actually this is pretty much how I think all the time, and I thought it was a result of dom/aux Si but I am no longer sure.

Thanks, friends. :hug:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok. Please tell me if you identify with the following quote. Kindly do not search or otherwise look up where it's from ;). But I would like to know if you identify with it.

How often does something like this happen to other ISFJs? Or other SJs? It happens to me a lot, actually this is pretty much how I think all the time, and I thought it was a result of dom/aux Si but I am no longer sure.

Thanks, friends. :hug:

Actually my thought processes tend to proceed as if I'm giving a lecture. I spend a great time of time focusing on a particular topic and then branch out into related topics.

So...something similar I suppose, but not the same.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Actually my thought processes tend to proceed as if I'm giving a lecture. I spend a great time of time focusing on a particular topic and then branch out into related topics.

So...something similar I suppose, but not the same.

Ah. Thank you! I suspect that the bolded is the difference here. Because I am like that quote, in that the topics change second to second, really rapidly evolving so to speak, kind of randomly. (I've heard this attributed to functions ISFJs aren't "supposed" to have...)
Whereas you seem to go in depth with one idea before moving on. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
I often describe my thought process as something similar to browsing wikipedia. Starts with one page, find an interesting term and go to another page. This then leads to more and more pages until I forget what I was looking up in the first place.

My ISFJ friend says she feels like her brain is filled with information stashed in file folders, and there's a little runner who sifts through the files looking for it when she needs to retrieve it. Does that sound similar/related to what's posted above?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
coconut,

I don't relate to your friend's description, but it may just be another way of saying the same thing. It seems like she already has an end-goal in mind (the thing she is looking for) and then retrieves it. For the wikipedia example, I think it's more like there is nothing to run towards at least some of the time, nothing to find, it's just associations and more "tangential". But of course, it could be the same thing. Thanks for the input.

LeslieFrancs

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Dear ISFJs,

1. What do people do that piss you off the most? Pet peeves must be mentioned.

2. What is your opinion on the future? Specifically the future of yourself and family.

3. If you are offended by someone's actions but you can't show it, what do you usually do, body-language and speech wise?

4. Do ENTPs' attraction to anarchy annoy you? If so, how and to what extent?

5. What captures your attention? In the positive way of course.

6. Inversely, what do you guys brush off as "stupid bullshit"?

7. What makes you genuinely happy? The kind of feeling that gives you hope that the world is not all bad.

Sincerely,
A Diehard ENTP.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dear ISFJs,

Probably the biggest pet peeve I have is exploitation & selfishness, particularly when the person doing the exploiting knows fully well what they are doing but feels that are entitled to whatever it is they are trying to get anyway.

A good example: Whenever my brother Jason points out to my parents that they have to take care of him because he's their son (and therefore should be able to live at home for free). You have -no idea- how much this PISSES me off!!!

I hate users and mooches of all shapes and sizes :steam:

2. What is your opinion on the future? Specifically the future of yourself and family.

My family will still be chugging along. I forsee myself managing my own office eventually. I hoping a wife and perhaps 1 or two kids will be in that picture but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and eventually I'll probably get good enough to teach ballroom dancing on the side :workout: :D :yes:

3. If you are offended by someone's actions but you can't show it, what do you usually do, body-language and speech wise?

I typically get kind of distant and passive aggressive. Body-language wise my movements will get stiffer, as if under strain. I'll keep looking/moving/looking away from you as well. Verbally, I'll start to become cold, distant, and indifferent to you.

Usually if I'm angry at you, it'll become apparent ;)

It depends on what, why, and to what degree. If the ENTP is the mad scientist type that's furiously working away on a proof or something, then it can be endearing as I feel like I'm contributing (if only in a small way) to this new discovery by cleaning up after her and caring for her.

People who are into anarchy just for anarchy's sake are often incredibly irritating and I try to avoid them.

Kindness, charity, compassion, creativity, confidence, adventurousness. People who demonstrate these qualities get high marks with me. People who really excel at any one of these traits become people that I admire.

-Ravings against the status quo or some other authority without any kind of alternative solution to the problem they present. This kind of ties into my above answer about anarchy, but people who are counter-culture for the sake of being counter-culture are really friggin' obnoxious.

If you're going to try and do your own thing, cool, but if you're just doing it for the sake of shocking-and-rebelling than piss off and leave me alone.

-Constantly whining and complaining over the most mundane of things. If you're the type of person who flies into a fit whenever you have to spend an extra 50 cents on a drink, I'm going to rip your eyes out with my own two hands. JUST PAY THE GOD DAMN EXTRA CENTS, MOVE ON AND SHUT THE FUCK UP >8| . If paying that little bit extra is worth getting an ulcer over, then just don't buy the damn thing!

7. What makes you genuinely happy? The kind of feeling that gives you hope that the world is not all bad.

Sincerely,
A Diehard ENTP.

-Whenever I see a solider come home and reunite with their kids and/or their spouse.
-Whenever someone plays Good Samaritan, just because.
-Being around the people I love and care about. Their continued presence reminds me of why I'm so lucky :D
- Going dancing. It's one of the few times in my life that I feel desirable, and that's a good thing in any language :yes:

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
People giving instructions in infinite detail instead of just telling me what they want as the final product.
Supress their eccentricities for the sake of social acceptance.
Violent crime, of course.

The future is possibilities, so I like it b/c I want to see what unfolds. At the same time, I'm aware of things that could go wrong (on a grand scale, like civilization collapsing) so I'll try to avert them.
For myself, I dunno, and I don't plan to have a family.

Well I consider speech to be showing it. I'll explain the offense if I'm going to "show it". Body language, I'll just walk away.

I don't mind anarchy in theory. I'll discuss it. But I don't want it to be reality...I am not good at defending myself, especially against, you know, nuclear bombs.
But just for discussion's sake, why would it annoy me? lol

Interesting things on the internet. Problems to chew on. etc.

Boring things. People whining on and on and on about minor problems (which is boring).

Seeing people walk away from an environment, religion, etc where they were oppressed or unhappy. (I seldom get this feeling so I don't really know tbh)
Seeing people stand up to others and decide their own life paths.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
People giving instructions in infinite detail instead of just telling me what they want as the final product.
Supress their eccentricities for the sake of social acceptance.
Violent crime, of course.

The future is possibilities, so I like it b/c I want to see what unfolds. At the same time, I'm aware of things that could go wrong (on a grand scale, like civilization collapsing) so I'll try to avert them.
For myself, I dunno, and I don't plan to have a family.

Well I consider speech to be showing it. I'll explain the offense if I'm going to "show it". Body language, I'll just walk away.

I don't mind anarchy in theory. I'll discuss it. But I don't want it to be reality...I am not good at defending myself, especially against, you know, nuclear bombs.
But just for discussion's sake, why would it annoy me? lol

Interesting things on the internet. Problems to chew on. etc.

Boring things. People whining on and on and on about minor problems (which is boring).

Seeing people walk away from an environment, religion, etc where they were oppressed or unhappy. (I seldom get this feeling so I don't really know tbh)
Seeing people stand up to others and decide their own life paths.

Hmmm. Some of the stuff you mention sounds rather INTP like. Such as the bolded stuff above. Not saying you can't be an ISFJ but have you considered INTP? I think you mentioned before about being stuck in an Ti/Si loop, which might explain some of your identification with ISFJ.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Hmmm. Some of the stuff you mention sounds rather INTP like. Such as the bolded stuff above. Not saying you can't be an ISFJ but have you considered INTP? I think you mentioned before about being stuck in an Ti/Si loop, which might explain some of your identification with ISFJ.

Yes, I considered it, just very quickly. I am not an N. But I am in an Si-Ti loop...

The things you have bolded as "not ISFJ" are based on ISFJ stereotypes, not real ISFJ behaviour.

• instructions in infinite detail: no one can remember them, regardless of type.
  • it's uncomfortable to suppress one's eccentricities. I don't understand why people even try
  • interest in the future/excitement for the future could point to an ISP's tertiary Ni as much as an SJ's desire to plan for the future. Being able to look beyond the tip of one's nose does not = N
  • family thing = ISFJ stereotype. I am not nurturing enough to have a family, and I have no desire to. I didn't realize personal life choices were because of type! ;)
  • see, I just made a list...how J is that? It's J. ;)

Sorry if any of that sounds rude (Ha! Fe moment) but I really don't see INTP or any NT for that matter.