• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ 1.0!

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Aww, there there pumpkin I still think you're special :hug:

Question to my fellow ISFJs: Am I the only one who gets so into my own head that I sometimes whisper my thoughts out loud to myself, or is that just because I have mild-Asperger's Syndrome? :shock:

Nah, I do that also. I just try to make sure that no one is around when I do it.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ooh! ooh! I have a question! :hi:

for mother's day and now father's day I've gotten stuck in the middle of a battle of wills between an ISFJ and an ISTJ... my mother insists that NOBODY should be alone on a holiday when they're invited somewhere and that it's just sad... the man insists that as an orphan he should have the day off to sulk... my mother invariably wins :shock:

I never win on that consistant of a basis... do you guys have super amazing stubborn super powers or something? :huh:

Hmmm. I don't think I do, but most of the time I won tug of war when my husband and I were together. He refused to tug because he didn't want to disappoint me. *shrugs*

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I just spent forever answering Blackmail's questions and now everything is gone because I didn't realize that I had been logged out before hitting the Preview Post button!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, perhaps I will come back and repost later. *stomps off*

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just spent forever answering Blackmail's questions and now everything is gone because I didn't realize that I had been logged out before hitting the Preview Post button!!!!

There, there. :hug:

One time I was deprived of the high score in Space Invaders because I was automatically logged-off.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Fact is, I would be very interested to read your answers. It can teach us a lot, especially about how to respect and understand each other.

I would even have a few other questions to ask.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Here I go again.

1/ Do you consider yourself ambitious? I am ambitious in that I set goals for myself and actually accomplish them. It irks me when people don't do this.

2/ Are you attracted to ambitious/powerful/domineering people? I am most definitely attracted to ambitious and powerful people who use those two characteristics in a positive way. Of course, when they are used to hurt others, I am not pleased. As for the domineering trait, well, let's just say that I like having control, but when someone can counter that without crushing me, I am drawn to that person.

3/ Do you think there have been times when you've been in self-denial, and if so, do you have an example? I refused to see that my and my husband's issues were eating away at our marriage. Now that we are both awake, it is too late to repair the damage.

4/ What is your reaction towards stereotypes, routine and clichés? Routine is a good thing because it provides structure and discipline. Of course, it should not be so rigid that there is no room for spontaneity. Stereotypes and cliches, on the other hand, leave no room for a person getting to know the real person behind a label. This is why I get so disgusted when people think that others CANNOT act a certain way because they are SUPPOSED TO BE a particular personality type.

5/ Do you consider yourself to be the ultimate conformist? Nope. I like Tinker's answer by the way.

6/ Do you consider yourself a perfectionist? Why? How? No, I do not. I like having things a certain way, but I do not call that perfectionism.

7/ Does elitism scare you? Scare me? No. It does perturb me when elitists belittle those that they feel are inferior to them. I have been around teachers like this, and I think this attitude affects the way they see the students who need more help than others.

8/ Have some people already complained in the past you were "dull", "bland", or that you had a "bad artistic taste"? -3 questions-
What was your reaction, then? There are probably people who feel this way about me, but they have never said anything to me about it.

9/ Do you think you can experience sudden feelings of epiphany at random? Has it already happened, somehow? Of course! Epiphanies are not limited by personality type.

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I wasn't going to bother until I saw your post, Blackmail.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I wasn't going to bother until I saw your post, Blackmail.

Anyway, thank you to have taken time to answer these questions.

I could have a few more questions to ask:

A/ Do you consider yourself to be forgiving and tolerant?

B/ How do you see political or philosophical debates? Annoying, or tantalizing?

C/ Do you consider yourself to be "mainstream" or fairly conservative, politically speaking?

D/ What is your reaction towards weird or unique people? Are you attracted (or not) towards originality, difference, and out of the norm behaviours? Or do they repel you, frankly?

E/ What is your definition of an innovative or revolutionary mind?

F/ Do you think it's possible for an ISFJ to graduate with a PhD Magna cum laude in Academia? If so, how do you imagine the scene, and how it would affect the style and the contents of the main thesis?

G/ When you read them, do you sometimes think ENTPs are alien minds trying to invade Earth, and vice-versa?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
F/ Do you think it's possible for an ISFJ to graduate with a PhD Magna cum laude in Academia?

(sorry Blackmail I'm not an ISFJ, I just wanted to say I know an ISFJ who did, with a thesis on environmental economics (models for pollution rights))

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
(sorry Blackmail I'm not an ISFJ, I just wanted to say I know an ISFJ who did, with a thesis on environmental economics (models for pollution rights))

As a matter of fact, it's a very serious question. I correct thesis (especially anything that deals with environment), so I'm really wondering how different styles could affect their contents and subjects.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, thank you to have taken time to answer these questions.

I could have a few more questions to ask:

C/ Do you consider yourself to be "mainstream" or fairly conservative, politically speaking?

D/ What is your reaction towards weird or unique people? Are you attracted (or not) towards originality, difference, and out of the norm behaviours? Or do they repel you, frankly?

F/ Do you think it's possible for an ISFJ to graduate with a PhD Magna cum laude in Academia? If so, how do you imagine the scene, and how it would affect the style and the contents of the main thesis?

G/ When you read them, do you sometimes think ENTPs are alien minds trying to invade Earth, and vice-versa?

I like answering questions :)

A) I do generally. I've discovered I'm far more tolerant and willing to overlook people's past mistakes than the vast majority of my peers. That being said, if you betray or serious hurt me, I'll eventually forgive you but I won't forget. I know ISFJ's are known for holding grudges and I'm sad to say that's true for me. Some of the relationships that I have with people today have been shaped by past misdeeds they committed against me years ago

B) Annoying mostly, not because they're not worth having but because rarely do I see anything productive come from them, which is why I generally stay away from them.

C) Conservative, yes, mainstream, no. All of the pundits and everyone of those clowns on Fox News can take a flying leap and a rolling doughnut for all I care.

D) It depends, usually I try to be very tolerant and nice and it's worked out well for me. I know a lot of guys with really debilitating social or mental disorders for which I'm good friends with. One of my buddies at work actually is a guy who is slightly retard (in the clinical sense) that many of the other workers make fun because of his child-like nature of but for whom I've known for ever and get along with great. I've found that some of these people, while they may not possess the best social graces, are some of the most loyal and steadfast friends you could ever ask for.

All that being said, I also know a few weirdos that are really annoying or disgusting and I generally try to avoid them. I had to get really hostile with one because he was making one of my lady friends really uncomfortable with his behavior.

E) My definition of that would be someone who can look at a problem or situation and resolve it in a way that's not only completely different than what's been done before, but that resolves quicker and easier than before.

F) Certainly, if it was on a topic that interested them. Anyone who's read more than a few of my posts could tell you that I get long winded when it's about something I feel strongly about :laugh:

As for topics, I would expect topics that revolve around issues that affect individuals personally but it doesn't have to be (FDG's example stands out as one I wouldn't expect but, hey, that's just me)

G) NT's in general are the types I have the most difficult time, not because I don't get along with them (I do) but because they're just on a completely different wave length than me. As for ENTP's....no, they don't seem like aliens to me. Often times I can understand their logic and the reasons why they go about doing things and many of them can pleasantly surprise them. We and they just have different priorities I suppose. Sorry if that wasn't quite what you were looking for.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
As for topics, I would expect topics that revolve around issues that affect individuals personally but it doesn't have to be (FDG's example stands out as one I wouldn't expect but, hey, that's just me)

I think my post might have been slightly unclear. She modeled how to optimally price "rights to pollution", which means that firms have to pay in order to pollute - in such a way that pollution would be maximally deterred. That seemed to be (to me) a topic which would be easily compatible with feeling type preferences :)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think my post might have been slightly unclear. She modeled how to optimally price "rights to pollution", which means that firms have to pay in order to pollute - in such a way that pollution would be maximally deterred. That seemed to be (to me) a topic which would be easily compatible with feeling type preferences :)

Ah, ok. That definitely makes sense then :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1/ Do you consider yourself ambitious?

Yes. When I set meaningful goals for myself I become determined to complete them and usually do.

2/ Are you attracted to ambitious/powerful/domineering people?

Yes, definitely, but only if they're nice to me.

3/ Do you think there have been times when you've been in self-denial, and if so, do you have an example?

I constantly struggle with recognizing my strengths and my weaknesses. It's a daily struggle for me and it's all a big blur.

4/ What is your reaction towards stereotypes, routine and cliché?

Well, some stereotypes are true and some aren't. The untrue ones I will get upset about or will ignore them. Routines can be comforting but I am becoming good at recognizing when it's time for a change. That said ENxPs seem to need change a little too much for me. Clichés? I love them. :) They're often accurate and a nice guide to life even if they are predictable and boring and we want to deny them.

5/ Do you consider yourself to be the ultimate conformist?

I am actually the complete opposite. Liberalism has been "in" or considered the "best way to be" for a while now and I am conservative. I am considered a dinosaur and laughing stock for being conservative. It's the opposite of conforming by today's standards and not easy to be.

6/ Do you consider yourself a perfectionist? Why? How?

When it comes to certain ideals I have, yes. This is what dreams are made of. I actively engage my hope. I mean if I feel worn out I think it's okay to take a break but if I let my dreams die then I die.

7/ Does elitism scare you?

In a system that promotes fair competition, may the best man win. I believe in this so, no, it does not scare me.

8/ Have some people already complained in the past you were "dull", "bland", or that you had a "bad artistic taste"? -3 questions-
What was your reaction, then?

Been called dull or bland? No, never, but I often feel boring. I have been told that I have bad artistic taste before but I thought my accuser had bad artistic taste too so that was a wash.

9/ Do you think you can experience sudden feelings of epiphany at random? Has it already happened, somehow?

Yes. It happens to me about once a month. But usually over trivial things because I think about trivial things a lot.

I am not sure. It depends on the circumstances.

Annoying to participate in for sure unless my opponent is reasonable and not emotional (which is rarely the case) but I do like observing them from a far to keep my finger in the pulse of society, so to speak.

I live in California which is politically liberal and I am conservative so, no, I do not consider myself mainstream.

I am strongly attracted to independent thinkers so yes I like unique people. I will cease being attracted to them though if I detect malice, or if the attraction isn't returned.

A mind that searches and searches for ways to solve problems in unique ways. One that makes a real and tangible positive impact on our society or world.

Yes, I do. I imagine it would be in social sciences or in the "caring" professions. And, yes, I do imagine there being some real difficulty in communication styles between NT professors and ISFJ candidates. It could pose a problem.

For sure!

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, it's time for more attention!

You're too funny Warm! :laugh: :hug:

Okie dokie though, question for my fellow ISFJs: How stereotypical of an ISFJ are you? Do you match the stereotype well or, if not, how much do you think you deviate from it?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
fine... I'll give you another question :tongue:

why do IxFJs (my isfj mom and infj sis BOTH do this!) cry at the ends of happy movies? I don't get it... it's happy! you should smile! When I said this I got informed that it's touching... this does not compute :doh:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fine... I'll give you another question :tongue:

why do IxFJs (my isfj mom and infj sis BOTH do this!) cry at the ends of happy movies? I don't get it... it's happy! you should smile! When I said this I got informed that it's touching... this does not compute :doh:

I'll take a stab at this, but...

If I do cry while watching a happy movie it's usually because a really moving, emotionally touching scene has just played out. It's kind of embarrassing because men aren't "allowed" to cry during movies and I have to really restrain myself if in the company of people who don't know me very well for fear of being heckled.

The reason why it affects us like it does (and this is just my 2 copper pieces mind you) is because we IxFJs deeply value affection and warmth. It's why we avoid conflict situations and it's why we often require a steady stream of affirmation from our partners: because what we want to feel both toward ourselves and toward others is affection and safety.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
this would explain the yearly It's A Wonderful Life occurrance then... when I turn around to stare at my sis and mom when everyone's bringing George money and count down to the tears :ninja:

and the explanation of "but everyone's so NICE" *sniffle* :cry:

does this mean that I'm an asshole for bringing the movie every year :unsure:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this would explain the yearly It's A Wonderful Life occurrance then... when I turn around to stare at my sis and mom when everyone's bringing George money and count down to the tears :ninja:

and the explanation of "but everyone's so NICE" *sniffle* :cry:

does this mean that I'm an asshole for bringing the movie every year :unsure:

Not at all. If they hated seeing it, they would tell you. Not all tears are sad tears :wubbie: