• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Ask an ISFJ 1.0!

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're not creating a death ray to wipe out all the 50+ year olds are you? : D

Lol I edited my original post.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tell her how happy it makes you when she shops for herself.
Start talking to her about hobbies she can adopt.
My sis and I talked to her about hobbies. She said she just wants a couple of grandkids to keep her occupied... :shock:

(Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............)

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Currently as an artist I don't see myself having children because it would be way too inconvenient for what I want to do and the efforts of my current investments would seem to go to waste. I have enough children in my family that I'm around and though I enjoy the kind of person they bring out in me, I still would not be want to have to manage my own despite the pressure of having good motherly qualities.

So I'm curious if any other ISFJs are opposed to having children and are serious about it...?

And if so, why?

I'm about 99 percent sure I don't want to have children and any indecision in the future would likely drive me to consider trying foster care before anything else.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My sis and I talked to her about hobbies. She said she just wants a couple of grandkids to keep her occupied... :shock:

(Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............)

lol

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How should I help my ISFJ mom prepare for retirement? (It's still a couple of years to come, but she's dreading it because she will feel unneeded and useless, which will drive her crazy)

She doesn't really have her own hobbies and she loves doing things for people, like when she's stressed out, she goes shopping for me :huh: I know it's very sweet, but I don't think it's ultimately healthy, because she needs to start doing things for herself too, you know...

:blush:

How about if you give her a dog?

Grandchildren?

:newwink:

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother is a lovely ISFJ. She's compassionate and kind, and she's basically all around wonderful. She also has a lot of difficulty understanding her poor weirdo INTP daughter (sisters are INFP and ISTJ). We have a very good relationship, but I am exceedingly bad at all of the traditional family stuff that she loves--such as remembering birthdays, calling frequently, etc. She has made a concerted effort to reach out to me in ways that I know are weird/unfamiliar to her. She actually learned to text and got on facebook because she knows how much I hate talking on the phone.

Aside from more traditional things, which I don't think I will EVER be good at because I'm a space cadet when it comes to time/tradition, how can I make my ISFJ mother feel more appreciated/loved? Saying really touchy-feely things always seems strange, awkward, and fake to me, but I think maybe she needs that validation?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mother is a lovely ISFJ. She's compassionate and kind, and she's basically all around wonderful. She also has a lot of difficulty understanding her poor weirdo INTP daughter (sisters are INFP and ISTJ). We have a very good relationship, but I am exceedingly bad at all of the traditional family stuff that she loves--such as remembering birthdays, calling frequently, etc. She has made a concerted effort to reach out to me in ways that I know are weird/unfamiliar to her. She actually learned to text and got on facebook because she knows how much I hate talking on the phone.

Aside from more traditional things, which I don't think I will EVER be good at because I'm a space cadet when it comes to time/tradition, how can I make my ISFJ mother feel more appreciated/loved? Saying really touchy-feely things always seems strange, awkward, and fake to me, but I think maybe she needs that validation?

Probably. I don't get why it feels fake though.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm sure it's so much a need for validation in and of itself so much as a recognition of the things she values (which in this case is her family). I and I'm sure your ISFJ mother as well place a great deal of value on action and the more you do the further you'll go. These things are very important to her and as such anything you could do to show that you care, even something small, does count for something. You may need to sit down and talk with her and ask her what things she likes doing and if its a matter of remembering to do something then you may want to consider investing in some sort of reminder device or system that will do that for you.

As far as the touchy feel stuff, I'm obviously not your mother nor am I every ISFJ but YES the touchy feel stuff is important to us! Lack of attention or affection is brutal to me. I expect it from my friends and even my brothers (whom I was never really close to to begin with) but from my family and my significant other (back when I had one) its massively important and really hurts me when I don't get it.

I realize it feels contrived and maybe she'll need more from you than you're willing/capable of giving and thats something you'll have to work out. But I would like to say that the effort does count. :)

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably. I don't get why it feels fake though.

Because that's not generally how I express that I care about someone. It's not that I think all touchy feely people are fake. I do not. It's just not something that comes naturally to me because I express emotion differently than she does. She's very demonstrative in her affections, and I've never been very cuddly. I will, of course, try harder for her because I love her, and I want to make sure she's clear on that point. It will still feel weird to me, though.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFJs!

How often do you get overwhelmed by your emotions?

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure it's so much a need for validation in and of itself so much as a recognition of the things she values (which in this case is her family).

This makes sense.

You may need to sit down and talk with her and ask her what things she likes doing and if its a matter of remembering to do something then you may want to consider investing in some sort of reminder device or system that will do that for you.

I think that part of the disconnect is that we have very different interests. She's WAY more physical and outdoorsy than myself. I do make it a point to call on special days, or, if I do screw up and forget, to call asap. I think pinning down some common interests might help. Thanks.

As far as the touchy feel stuff, I'm obviously not your mother nor am I every ISFJ but YES the touchy feel stuff is important to us! Lack of attention or affection is brutal to me. I expect it from my friends and even my brothers (whom I was never really close to to begin with) but from my family and my significant other (back when I had one) its massively important and really hurts me when I don't get it.

I realize it feels contrived and maybe she'll need more from you than you're willing/capable of giving and thats something you'll have to work out. But I would like to say that the effort does count. :)

I can try harder. :) In many ways, I am not a stereotypical INTP, but I do have that absent minded professor thing going on. I'm just not wired like she is, so I often just don't think of those things. It's certainly not an intended slight. I will try to be a bit more gushy for her, though. Thanks for replying.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that part of the disconnect is that we have very different interests. She's WAY more physical and outdoorsy than myself. I do make it a point to call on special days, or, if I do screw up and forget, to call asap. I think pinning down some common interests might help. Thanks.

Common interests would definitely help. Don't overextend yourself into doing things you REALLY hate doing though, then you'll just be miserable and she'll pick that up and then SHE'LL be miserable and that's no fun for all involved.

You're an INTP, you guys are a creative bunch. I'm sure you'll find something :)

I can try harder. :) In many ways, I am not a stereotypical INTP, but I do have that absent minded professor thing going on. I'm just not wired like she is, so I often just don't think of those things. It's certainly not an intended slight. I will try to be a bit more gushy for her, though. Thanks for replying.

I'm sure she doesn't feel it's intended slight hopefully she's the kind that's strong enough to not let it bother her. Most of the time I can be pretty good about slights that are unintentional or truly benign but sometimes...it just stings. Whats even more aggravating is that if you try and be extra nice to try and catch slighting her before you accidentally do it, she'll catch on to what you're doing and may feel you're patronizing her.

Or at least that's how I often react, and its a small wonder to me that people can get so frustrated with ISFJs. We're a well meaning bunch but far too sensitive. Or, again, maybe that's just me.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I'm not ISFJ. Could you just 'not filter' too many of your ideas and instead, share those with her? I'd think honesty would probably be good. That's a bond or connection in and of itself. Something really good for family.

Could you see how some of the artificiality would start to go away if you just shared thoughts? I sometimes think it feels like talking about boring stuff but the effort is good even when or if it's about something I might think is relatively insignificant. :) I believe most appreciate the effort.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFJs, what do you think of your INFJ contemporaries and their super-normal intuition and meta-physical mumbo jumbo?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFJs, what do you think of your INFJ contemporaries and their super-normal intuition and meta-physical mumbo jumbo?

I think they see dead people and I rely on them for this.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think they see dead people and I rely on them for this.

HAHAHAHAHA! [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION] you're funny as ****. :D

(..and sorry for the harsh *'s :p.)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

A mixed bag. In a lot of ways they can be just like me and other ways they are not. When we mesh well, its a beautiful thing to see. Their Ni engages my inferior Ne and everything just seems to "click". On the other hand, sometimes they keep reading into my actions and such that are just plain false and that ends up bringing up a lot of frustration and aggravation. We "over accommodate" each other and end up finding ourselves in a near perpetual stalemate where every action becomes a struggle and that just plain sucks for all involved.

Also, if their value systems differ from mine then there are inevitably problems as I've found that Ni-doms can be just as stubborn as I am and when you get an Si-dom and an Ni-dom disagree on something thats fundamental to them, the words "irresistible force" and "immovable object" come to mind.