• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ - how are we perceived

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think after being here awhile you may find that there are just a lot of nps who have a very different way of working than sj's....so if anything is expressed negatively...just try to see who is expressing it and why...it's just about an opposite approach...not worse...not better.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In my experience, among other things I've encountered on the forum are: predictable, boring, too serious, blindly follow status quo and protocol, making us ideal for the military and such, little or no imagination or depth. Sometimes with implication of being borderline OCD.

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
i think after being here awhile you may find that there are just a lot of nps who have a very different way of working than sj's....so if anything is expressed negatively...just try to see who is expressing it and why...it's just about an opposite approach...not worse...not better.

hmmm... I get along really well NP's and prefer them over SJ's. My best friend is an NP so I'm interested in what these different approaches are and what exactly is the theoretical explanation (by jung?) behind this?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i get a long well with sjs too...don't think the differences are anything to prevent friendships from happening but we are very different and approach things differently...like for example...sjs tend to be completely capable of accessing a situation...doing whatever needs to be done and accepting the responsibility to do so...because it's just what you do....an np needs to genuinely care about the situation...feel inspired to do so...not because he should...not because someone else wants them to...and not because it's just what needs to be done

something like that...basically we're lazy as f*@k and you're not...haha

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
What I've experienced from STJs that bothers me the most is best described as dogmatism. My mother and husband are both STJs and I have found them both very difficult to compromise with. It's also hard for me to get explanations or justifications(?) for some of their actions, which leaves me with nothing to go by. Both of them can be very "because I said so"-ish, which is like hitting a brick wall. My best friend is an EXTJ though, and while she can also be that way with her family, she's never been that way with me, so we've never had a problem in more than 20 years.

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
i get a long well with sjs too...don't think the differences are anything to prevent friendships from happening but we are very different and approach things differently...like for example...sjs tend to be completely capable of accessing a situation...doing whatever needs to be done and accepting the responsibility to do so...because it's just what you do....an np needs to genuinely care about the situation...feel inspired to do so...not because he should...not because someone else wants them to...and not because it's just what needs to be done

something like that...basically we're lazy as f*@k and you're not...haha

You're completely on the ball with this one. I'm usually the one on my friend's tail about getting stuff done in a timely manner.

What I've experienced from STJs that bothers me the most is best described as dogmatism. My mother and husband are both STJs and I have found them both very difficult to compromise with. It's also hard for me to get explanations or justifications(?) for some of their actions, which leaves me with nothing to go by. Both of them can be very "because I said so"-ish, which is like hitting a brick wall. My best friend is an EXTJ though, and while she can also be that way with her family, she's never been that way with me, so we've never had a problem in more than 20 years.

Though in all honestly, STJs will always think that they are right and there's pretty much no reasoning with them. That's why I'm not too fond of them myself. However, BECAUSE they are "dogmatic" it's much easier to read them and understand what to do or what not to do around them. It's like they have a set of rules and if you follow them, you will get along. That's what makes STJs "easy" to get along with imo

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
right...you have an inherent respect for the rules...we do not...we make up the rules as we go along by judging things independently...we don't offer respect based on stature or roles...we base it on an action by action basis or something like that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What exactly is there to be misunderstood? What is the negative stigma about ISTJs?

They are not misunderstood here. If anything, they are more understood.

We just aren't crazy about em' because we're a bunch on NPs here. That's why there's a negitive stigma, but it's not an inaccurate stigma.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

We just aren't crazy about em' because we're a bunch on NPs here. That's why there's a negitive stigma, but it's not an inaccurate stigma.

certainly not any different than a bunch of sjs discussing nps...not that they would really...but, you know.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
certainly not any different than a bunch of sjs discussing nps...not that they would really...but, you know.

Well, they kinda do. It's like when people from the Deep South discuss hippies.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's like they have a set of rules and if you follow them, you will get along. That's what makes STJs "easy" to get along with imo
That's been my experience with my husband and mother. So long as things are going according to their expectations and everyone is doing as they "should", life is relatively OK. Although, that perception, that everything is going "as it should", is rare.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Every type gets stereotyped- sometimes for fun, sometimes because someone has had a negative experience with a member of that type :)

For instance- ISTJs happily follow orders, they have no sense of humor and get wild kicks out of filing paperwork and doing their taxes

INTPs are nerds and the closest they're going to get to sex is looking up what sex IS on wikipedia

ENFPs spend their time congregating, worshiping crystals and smoking pot deep in the woods as long as they have the blessing of the earth mother to do so

ENTJs are ruthless tyrants, all of them have a secret plan for taking over the world and forcing all of the "weaker" types to be subjugated

ESTPs are drug addicted reckless hedonists with leather jackets and multiple tattoos- on weekends they cheat on their SOs and pretend to be Eval Kineval

and I could go on.... :holy:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!! stereotypes are fun!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ indeed! :laugh:

now get back to your incense burning and crystal worshipping hippy! :devil:

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
right...you have an inherent respect for the rules...we do not...we make up the rules as we go along by judging things independently...we don't offer respect based on stature or roles...we base it on an action by action basis or something like that.

We have in an inherent nature for GOALS. We define goals and then go after them no matter the cost. Having well defined goals results in a deep respect for rules in order to complete out goals. My goal is to go into academia so I'm very aware/invested in my grades and also research. I could care less about "rules"..in fact, I love to break rules. I was working in a computer lab that was closed off to the public with my INTP friend. He didnt know about the lab being closed but I did. Security came in and told us that the lab was closed (but didnt tell us to leave). I wanted to stay and my friend got antsy about it. In reality, I dont follow rules, I bend them to fit my goals.

Exactly, why do NPs dont like about SJs? I LOVE NPs way more than SJs. I only hang out with NPs and try to stay away from SJs as much as possible so you guys are making NPs look bad. Usually NPs arent judgmental about this crap and pretty much accept ppl for who they are so I would expect NPs to be the last types to say crap about another type.

What would an SJ say about an NP that's bad? This is all really interesting as I get along with NPs the best. Though SJs ARE the ones to say crap about other types so this one makes sense.

That's been my experience with my husband and mother. So long as things are going according to their expectations and everyone is doing as they "should", life is relatively OK. Although, that perception, that everything is going "as it should", is rare.

ISTJs usually look at the cup as half empty. When they assess a situation, they look at all the bad stuff that could go wrong, thus never enjoying life for what it is. We are also very serious people (thus the whole looking at life negatively kinda thing). When things go the way ISTJs want, the feeling of excitement and relaxation quickly goes away and becomes filled with "okay what else is wrong with this picture". I've spent many a nights feeling this way myself. I'm not a fan of it. Prevents me from enjoying all that life has to offer.

Every type gets stereotyped- sometimes for fun, sometimes because someone has had a negative experience with a member of that type :)

For instance- ISTJs happily follow orders, they have no sense of humor and get wild kicks out of filing paperwork and doing their taxes

I did my taxes the day I got my W2. I did it because I just wanted it out of the way so I dont have to remind myself to do it later. It was so fun... I wish we did taxes every month! haha i kid i kid

Also, whats the sterotype for INFP? ISFP? and ISFJ?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a lot of nps are accepting of people of all types...intps rarely like anybody haha so don't feel bad about that :D

and a group of sjs sitting around talking about nps...might say we're lazy, unrealistic, immature...not in touch with the real world and completely lacking in the life skills to do anything with our life...and they just wanna talk and think about life but expect everyone else to do their shit for them.

and about that constant need to "fix" stuff...yeah that must be tiresome...always needing a project...needing to have a goal to run yourself to the ground to achieve...admirable...but whew...exhausting.

musebreak

MBTI Type
ISTJ
a lot of nps are accepting of people of all types...intps rarely like anybody haha so don't feel bad about that :D

and a group of sjs sitting around talking about nps...might say we're lazy, unrealistic, immature...not in touch with the real world and completely lacking in the life skills to do anything with our life...and they just wanna talk and think about life but expect everyone else to do their shit for them.

and about that constant need to "fix" stuff...yeah that must be tiresome...always needing a project...needing to have a goal to run yourself to the ground to achieve...admirable...but whew...exhausting.

My INTP friend is very nice and accepting of everyone. Never judges which is what my experience with NPs are. Honestly, everything you've said I WISH I HAD MORE OF. I take life too seriously, I'm a workaholic, too realistic, too judgmental and pretty much anything that makes life a burden rather than an enjoyment. It's really just in my nature as you said... but I am aware of it and how this effects others around me.

That's also the other thing. ISTJs LOVE the stress and the exhaustion all for the sake of our goal. We'd do everything and anything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did my taxes the day I got my W2. I did it because I just wanted it out of the way so I dont have to remind myself to do it later. It was so fun... I wish we did taxes every month! haha i kid i kid

Also, whats the sterotype for INFP? ISFP? and ISFJ?

lol... my man is an istj, he's already done his taxes and my taxes, along with doing the office side of about 50 other people's taxes... he said it was less unpleasant than putting up with people's questions all day :doh:

you liked the stereotypes? I'll send you the rest in a bit :)