• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ESTJ trying to understand ISFJ

Martinette

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I have a colleague (let's call her Laura) who I think must be an ISFJ. She's logical, organised, a hard worker and a "nice person", but I find her quite hard to understand. She seems very sensitive to not being liked and not being respected, and she's taken against another colleague (Alison) in a dreadful way, that's causing lots of problems in the team. I am beginning to think Laura must keep a spreadsheet of every time Alison does something which might possibly be perceived as an insult; the most minor thing just becomes more "proof" that Alison doesn't respect her.

I want to shake her and tell her to stop being so unreasonable and to get some perspective, but I think that's probably NOT the best way of dealing with her. The problem is that I am an ESTJ and our other colleagues are all men, so they just see the whole thing as some "woman" thing, and don't feel inclined to do anything about it.

ISFJs - WDYT? If you were feeling that someone was out to get you or hated you, what would be the best thing for your colleagues to do to make you feel better or help you move on?

If you were trying to explain to me the difference between an ESTJ and an ISFJ, how would you do it?

Thanks all; you might just save our working relationship if I can sort this one out....

Snow Turtle

Is Alison aware of this behaviour?
Is she intentionally trying to antagonise Laura?

If Yes to the first question and No to the second question. Then it's probably best to get her to confront Alison about it and destroy this idea of about being disrespectful. Focus on resolution rather than blame (shaking method) since it's more likely to have a better effect.

If you know Laura personally, then you could get her to confront Alison and ask what's happening. Rather than leaving her to assume things about the other individual.

Martinette

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Is Alison aware of this behaviour? Almost certainly not
Is she intentionally trying to antagonise Laura? Don't think so, though I'm not sure she likes her very much.

I do know Laura fairly well, but she won't confront Alison (we've tried).

<sigh>

Aren't people weird?

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
I'd love to hear more responses about this because i know an ISFJ who is in a similar situation to the one the OP describes.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My male coworker is an ESFJ...he's so funny. Within the last 20 minutes another guy lost and recovered his wallet in someone else's car. The whole time the guy was like "I feel so bad for him- he'll have to cancel his credit cards, get a new license, etc, etc, etc..." LOL

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I don't see what you're not understanding about isfjs?

the ISFJ feels undervalued, but like most of her kin, she doesn't want to rock the boat. Nor make a new boat, or fix the current boat. She just doesn't want to make it WORSE, and in her mind, confronting her will make it worse.

I like where Pitsel is going with this. What type is Alison? I would try to have Alison behave more amiably towards Laura, or simply let her know that she really is affected by her. "Laura's having a tough time here and needs your help" or something.