• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Non Traditional SJs!

sticker

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think that any of the SJs I know would do something "just because that's the way it's done" without having to know WHY first :)
Exactly. :eek:
Whenever I meet something new or different, I always ask tons of questions, sometimes driving people up the wall. It's not that I'm not open to change, but because if I don't see any reason behind what I'm doing, I see no point in wasting my time do something at all. If it's a different way of doing something I've been doing all along, I need to be convinced as to its practicality and efficiency if it deals with tasks that requires results, through my own research or through other's explanations.
Sometimes, I look up solutions (ah, internet, how much I love you...) to everyday problems I encounter and get frustrated about. Like learning Colemak (keyboard configuration) and giving up on Qwerty because I failed to learn how to touch type on it even after years of using it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm addicted to things dealing with life hacks. Whenever there's something new that teaches you a simple way (or at least more efficient) of doing something, I'll go 'oh cool!' and jump right into it if time permits. I'm neither rebelling nor following traditions, I just go for what I think makes most sense to me.
Philosophy and school of thoughts wise, I do not discredit any as to me, it's just different ways of looking and understanding things. How can anyone be so sure that what they think is 100% 'right' and/or 'true'? I see relativity rather than definite 'quantities' for anything. I guess I enjoy learning how to look at things in many different view points as it means that there's more ways to classify things, etc, pretty much feeding Si's needs?
I would say that one of the main reasons why older SJs might come across as traditional is because they did not have access to all these information readily available to us, thus not using Si to its fullest potential as there's not enough info to begin with. And well, I do think that habits are hard to kick, no matter which type you are.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really agree and identify with the "asking why," which is something I'm always doing. To me, "Why?" = "How does that make sense?" Trying to absorb it into what I already know in a spot that fits. If I have to figure out a whole new branch of the "system," it'd better have more than just one stray incident as evidence, because if it doesn't, I'll incline toward the Incident being wrong, not the System.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Instead of saying SJs are traditional, isn't it more precise to say that they have a strong need to follow rules. They appear to be distressed when rules are lacking or when rules are disregarded by others.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Instead of saying SJs are traditional, isn't it more precise to say that they have a strong need to follow rules. They appear to be distressed when rules are lacking or when rules are disregarded by others.

It's really more just that they like new information to be related to what they already know. If they're forced to deal with a situation they don't know anything about how to navigate, they get very uncomfortable.

Rules are frequently a convenient way for an SJ to build a knowledge base about how a situation is supposed to work, so that once he gets into that situation he can relate new information to what he already knows about it.

They don't like/follow rules on principle; they just find rules a convenient way to map out a situation before acting on it.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It's really more just that they like new information to be related to what they already know. If they're forced to deal with a situation they don't know anything about how to navigate, they get very uncomfortable.

Rules are frequently a convenient way for an SJ to build a knowledge base about how a situation is supposed to work, so that once he gets into that situation he can relate new information to what he already knows about it.

They don't like/follow rules on principle; they just find rules a convenient way to map out a situation before acting on it.

Exactly!

B

brainheart

I'm really starting to seriously consider that my husband is an ISFJ, not the ESFP I thought. I read a really great description of ISFJ in Lenore Thomson's book, Personality Types and it fits him far more than the ESFP description. I think I got so hung up on the Keirsey temperament business and it threw me off.

Sure, my husband has his corporate job, but on the side he owns a skateboard company. He seems so SP in the stereotypical sense- extreme sport dude, indie rock guy, but he is very set in his interests and he is exceedingly responsible. Nothing flakey about him. While I... ah... yeah.

But anyway, dominant introverted sensing makes tons of sense for him- how he is about his collections, how he knows everything about every skate trick, every skater, every song by his favorite band, etc. How he feels the need to rank things.

And then there's the fact that he got all freaky when I didn't want to change my last name when we got married. And how loyal he is. And how Valentine's Day is his favorite day of the year.

He can seem very go with the flow and we have tons of fun together. He isn't rigid or dull in any way.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm really starting to seriously consider that my husband is an ISFJ, not the ESFP I thought. I read a really great description of ISFJ in Lenore Thomson's book, Personality Types and it fits him far more than the ESFP description. I think I got so hung up on the Keirsey temperament business and it threw me off.

Sure, my husband has his corporate job, but on the side he owns a skateboard company. He seems so SP in the stereotypical sense- extreme sport dude, indie rock guy, but he is very set in his interests and he is exceedingly responsible. Nothing flakey about him. While I... ah... yeah.

But anyway, dominant introverted sensing makes tons of sense for him- how he is about his collections, how he knows everything about every skate trick, every skater, every song by his favorite band, etc. How he feels the need to rank things.

And then there's the fact that he got all freaky when I didn't want to change my last name when we got married. And how loyal he is. And how Valentine's Day is his favorite day of the year.

He can seem very go with the flow and we have tons of fun together. He isn't rigid or dull in any way.

Every time I take the MBTI test I test either ESFP or ISFP but I'm certain that I'm ISFJ. I've heard that Lenore Thompson's book is much better than Keirsey's in terms of describing the types more accurately. I know that I don't relate to a few of the stereotypes of SJs that, from what I understand, came from Keirsey's descriptions.

As for your husband, the J/P thing is hard to distinguish sometiems. And many SJ's enjoy playing sports, especially outdoor sports. I just think SJs might be less adventurous when it comes to trying out new things than SP's. Can you determine if he's an introvert or extrovert?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

+1

It doesn't stop there. If they have the ability and or/authority, they will improve on the subject if they deem it necessary.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
To build upon something that was said before, I like to do things the way theyve always been done. After doing that for awhile, if I feel there is a better way I will try to do it in the better way. But when I am first starting I like to take the traditional approach.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
After reading many ISTJ definitions around, I´ve been thinking that I´m a "non traditional" one.

I hate doing things following the "this has always worked fine, why changing it?" criteria. In fact, I got praise in my job for innovating most of our working processes, so I´m not sticking on traditions on that respect.

Also, I´m Agnostic, (that put me against one of the "traditional" institutions), and pro-abortion.

Not to mention my strong sex drive, which clashes with the classical definition of my MBTI type (prude, masturbation addict -you can find some "motivational posters" out there with jokes about that) And, my ability to organize parties and meet-ups for my friends.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Not to mention my strong sex drive, which clashes with the classical definition of my MBTI type (prude, masturbation addict -you can find some "motivational posters" out there with jokes about that)

Well, I didn't know that :huh: One truly does learn something new every day...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
After reading many ISTJ definitions around, I´ve been thinking that I´m a "non traditional" one.

I hate doing things following the "this has always worked fine, why changing it?" criteria. In fact, I got praise in my job for innovating most of our working processes, so I´m not sticking on traditions on that respect.

Also, I´m Agnostic, (that put me against one of the "traditional" institutions), and pro-abortion.

Not to mention my strong sex drive, which clashes with the classical definition of my MBTI type (prude, masturbation addict -you can find some "motivational posters" out there with jokes about that) And, my ability to organize parties and meet-ups for my friends.

This is a new one LOL I guess I'll be able to type people with one arm bigger than the other. :D

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Hello ISTJs.

I heard you guys/girls over eat, confirm/deny?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my ISFJ mother and ESTJ best friend are both very diet conscious when they make their food decisions... my ISTJ has become so recently :)

this means a lot of using dessert plates for dinner :ninja:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think a lot of people are far more traditional than they'd like to think - Ss and Ns both.

You might be really weird in some ways, but everyone is weird in some ways. Like everyone is "normal" in some ways, fitting "traditional" molds of various types, to varying degrees.

So I'm not sure it's accurate to lump SJs into "traditional" and non-SJs into "non-traditional". Perhaps they're likely to value a higher proportion of traditional roles, but it's hardly a dichotomy.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello ISTJs.

I heard you guys/girls over eat, confirm/deny?

I don't but I think there are a lot of overweight SJ's.

I think a lot of people are far more traditional than they'd like to think - Ss and Ns both.

You might be really weird in some ways, but everyone is weird in some ways. Like everyone is "normal" in some ways, fitting "traditional" molds of various types, to varying degrees.

So I'm not sure it's accurate to lump SJs into "traditional" and non-SJs into "non-traditional". Perhaps they're likely to value a higher proportion of traditional roles, but it's hardly a dichotomy.

Definitely. In our society it's not cool to admit (to yourself even!) that you're traditional or conservative in some ways. Personally, I get a kick out of telling people that I'm traditional and watching the room clear out.

Of course, there are always a few people who are initially intrigued by it because it's something uncommon nowadays in a young single woman, but after a while, they don't like it.