• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
This is one of my favorite parts from Monty Python's Flying Circus (45 episodes long comedy series).

[YOUTUBE="1k1ccguXiws"]Exploding Penguin[/YOUTUBE]

Parsimony

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My sense of humor is either hypocritical dry humor or geek type humor.

Slapstick humor just falls dead on me. That's why I can't get into a lot of night-time sitcoms. They're all the same.

I'm with you on the hypocritical dry humor/geek type humor, raz. I adore Community but I think The Big Bang Theory takes the cake! I dig sarcastic, witty, and dry humor. I can only take slapstick humor in minimal doses.

p/s: I think Abed is way awesome! ;)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Question .. Has your persona ever been misconstrued as lazy?

I ask because i attended my eldest childs parents evening on Monday and was told this so quickly jumped to my kids defence to say he is incredibly laid back. Has this ever happened to you .. Or is my kid infact lazy :horor:

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Big Bang Theory takes the cake!

Agreed! I love that show. It's one of the few non-reality or competition shows I watch. I also like Family Guy, but sometimes it gets old. Dane Cook is also at the top of my list of humor. I like how his humor draws on the truth of life or exaggerated scenarios and is quite relatable.

judith mcnaught

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi! I'm new to this forum and though it seems that there has been no new post as of lately, I would just like to ask all ISTJs out there, especially the MEN. How do you resist temptation? You know the one-night-stand type of temptation and the having-another-relationship-beside your SO type of temptation?

Women who are/were in a relationship with an ISTJ are also welcome to reply. Thank you in advance.

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
hi Judith, to be honest, and I know this is going to sound really boring, but I never put myself in those types of situations. One night stands and cheating have too much drama attached to them. I could never emotionally detach myself enough to engage in one of those scenarios.

As far as temptation in general, such as food that's bad for me, I can't resist unless I've given my word that I won't eat it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi! I'm new to this forum and though it seems that there has been no new post as of lately, I would just like to ask all ISTJs out there, especially the MEN. How do you resist temptation? You know the one-night-stand type of temptation and the having-another-relationship-beside your SO type of temptation?

Women who are/were in a relationship with an ISTJ are also welcome to reply. Thank you in advance.

Honestly I suck at resisting temptation. LOL

One nighters could definitely happen, but dating 2 women at the same time? I can barely manage dating one. LOL

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
How do you resist temptation? You know the one-night-stand type of temptation and the having-another-relationship-beside your SO type of temptation?

Never been a problem to me, since I don't flirt and women don't seek my company themselves. I'm way too serious when it comes to human relantionships, and won't chat or just hang out with people without a purpose. My work and hobbies are very men oriented and whenever I'd see other women is when I'm having double dates.

kdpianochickk

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Question .. Has your persona ever been misconstrued as lazy?

I ask because i attended my eldest childs parents evening on Monday and was told this so quickly jumped to my kids defence to say he is incredibly laid back. Has this ever happened to you .. Or is my kid infact lazy :horor:

Are you sure you meant to post this on the ISTJ thing? We are not lazy... at all. Or laid back. So like, no, I've never been "misconstrued as lazy." I have, however, been misconstrued for controlling, intimidating, neat freak, OCD, ridiculously by the book, etc...

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Are you sure you meant to post this on the ISTJ thing? We are not lazy... at all. Or laid back. So like, no, I've never been "misconstrued as lazy." I have, however, been misconstrued for controlling, intimidating, neat freak, OCD, ridiculously by the book, etc...

Yes i did :)

I originally posted this comment in 2010 when i was getting to grips with this subject. I can now confirm he is not lazy just not motivated to do anything (other than join the army in a years time).

Oh and he is the quintessential ISTJ, he's 16 going on 40.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to divide my relations with other people into categories of personal relation. How much do they mean to me? Do they have a strong emotional attachment to me or is my relationship with them necessary for an impersonal obligation, i.e. a hobby or career? A stronger emotional attachment just increases my sense of responsibility to the person. Dealing with a person in an impersonal relationship is like playing chess, making strategic moves for desired outcomes.

If you evaluate a person's worth as a human being by their ability to do complex mental work that a certain personality would find simple, then you are evaluating them against a system that just plain doesn't come naturally to them. It doesn't make sense. I'd rather evaluate someone by their character if it were a personal relationship because their ability to deal with any given situation or their sense of morals is far more important to me as sufficient evaluation. Everything that we do is external, based on perception and personal preference, no one is better than anyone else because we only limit ourselves to what we're capable of perceiving or understanding.

This topic is more relevant to me because I was in an argument with my ESFJ mother about our neighbors. She found out our neighbors are low income country people that she finds to be....weird? Somehow she doesn't like living in this neighborhood because of it and I tried convincing her that even though I approve of her moving at any time, I will not approve of her moving for the wrong reason. She was not in the position to place judgment on the people in her neighborhood just because she was incapable of understanding what their lifestyle meant to them. I would let her move if the neighborhood was unsafe or something more impersonal, but she was wanting to move based on a social categorization that was morally wrong and illogical.

I can go and join a club that people don't like, or place myself in a situation, any situation where people could associate my surroundings with my personality or character, but that is so ignorant that I just refuse to be associated with people who will make those types of deductions. For instance, my mother again asked me how I could buy power ranger toys in the afternoon, play with them in the car, then want to go out drinking later that night. Associating those 2 things as not being associated due to a social category is just stupid. Those two interest do not affect each other. The social categories are just....ineffective in my mind. My association with anything in the world does not change me as a person. I change me as a person.

The thing is, I am an ENFP and I sometimes have reasoning similar the above. I have an ESFJ mother that doesn't like "weird," either.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/newsletter25.html

Posting this article about ISTJs under stress and ENFPs under stress.
Hi! I'm an ENFP and I'm under stress! lol
I seriously think I'm currently operating in ISTJ mode at the moment. I have no interest in socializing IRL at the moment- VERY not like me. I have gone into seclusion mode. I know this is temporary- but I feel DEEP INSIDE THE CAVE at the moment.

I'm normally extremely extroverted. I'm most definitely introverted right now. And loving it. No one dare try to pull me out to be life of the party right now. I might bite your hand! Hard!

I guess I need ISTJ love right now. I need you guys to tell me to shut up or welcome to our world. I dunno. Tell me something.
Thanks.:cry::shock::(

Capsaicin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/newsletter25.html

Posting this article about ISTJs under stress and ENFPs under stress.
Hi! I'm an ENFP and I'm under stress! lol
I seriously think I'm currently operating in ISTJ mode at the moment. I have no interest in socializing IRL at the moment- VERY not like me. I have gone into seclusion mode. I know this is temporary- but I feel DEEP INSIDE THE CAVE at the moment.

I'm normally extremely extroverted. I'm most definitely introverted right now. And loving it. No one dare try to pull me out to be life of the party right now. I might bite your hand! Hard!

I guess I need ISTJ love right now. I need you guys to tell me to shut up or welcome to our world. I dunno. Tell me something.
Thanks.:cry::shock::(

Welcome to our world. There's some cookies and punch on the counter over there for refueling, but don't smile, laugh, or otherwise emote while enjoying them. :dry:

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Welcome to our world. There's some cookies and punch on the counter over there for refueling, but don't smile, laugh, or otherwise emote while enjoying them. :dry:

hahahahaha!!
omg- that made me laugh out loud. I KNEW I needed to come here!!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS!
{ummm- that rant above wasn't me. I'm just here not emoting.}

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

ISTJ was completely different than the write ups I've read in the past...
People need to explore more...

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find that most people who do the SJ bashing are not interested in understanding SJs in general. Mostly they want to play the rare and special victim because there are certain easy perks and rewards that come with acting that way. And to continue with those rewards they have to create and keep up an "Us. Vs. them" attitude so they won't ever be interested in understanding and getting along with SJ's.

You'll find that the people who do want to understand SJs will come to the SJ section and ask genuine questions themselves and won't do any S or SJ bashing. They know it's stupid.
I originally did it out of genuine ignorance, and didn't even know I was truly doing it...
ISxJ's and ESFJ's are actually pretty nice...
I was originally painting everyone in the SJ group as ESTJ's...and that just is not accurate...

I ultimately don't get along well with ExTJ's because they hurt my feelings and I irritate them...
Really nobody wins in that combination...
ExTJ's might be happiest among other ExTJ's...

I guess now that I know I was misplacing my dislike of ExTJ's on SJ's, I have to work on understanding ExTJ's...
Why are ExTJ's so strict and hurtful towards me?
What did I do wrong to deserve your wrath?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I originally did it out of genuine ignorance, and didn't even know I was truly doing it...
ISxJ's and ESFJ's are actually pretty nice...
I was originally painting everyone in the SJ group as ESTJ's...and that just is not accurate...

I ultimately don't get along well with ExTJ's because they hurt my feelings and I irritate them...
Really nobody wins in that combination...
ExTJ's might be happiest among other ExTJ's...

I guess now that I know I was misplacing my dislike of ExTJ's on SJ's, I have to work on understanding ExTJ's...
Why are ExTJ's so strict and hurtful towards me?
What did I do wrong to deserve your wrath?

You'd probably have to analyze the interactions between you and the specific ExTJ's to answer that. It's hard to make blanket assessments about these things using a whole type.