• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Others on the job around me seem to find it funny when I point out fallicies of assumptions. I guess they see it as sarcastic humor, but it isn't meant to be.

I've heard, on a few occasions, that people don't know whether to take what I say seriously sometimes. I guess because my tone doesn't change much. So I can give a compliment to someone and they not know whether I was genuine or being a smart butt.

Noon

ISTJs, especially older ISTJs, how strong is your Fi and how important of a role does it play in deciding your goals? :)

One more question (and I'm sorry if it's a repeat!). What do ISTJs think of ISFJs?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I would say my Fi is pretty strong. There was a time when I spent a lot of effort to establish my personal values, what I think is true, why I think that, etc. and that groundwork is the basis for a lot of my decisions now and how I live. I think this is why apart from ISTJ I have tested as INFP, but I don't agree with that result because I think some of the responses in the test were overly weighted.

As for ISFJs, I only know one offline. And she is not very well and has problems, so I can't deduce anything general from her about what I think about all ISFJs in general. (I anyway don't think it is a good idea to look at people too much through MBTI.) For the sake of the question though, my personal experience with this ISFJ is that we do not really connect. Our styles of connecting with others seem to be very different and we don't have much in common, neither superficially nor in the way we think or react to things. She is a different generation from me though and also from a different culture, and as I said she has problems and is not well. I hear she was different when she was younger. I'm sure if I met some other ISFJs it would be really different, so I can't really answer the question I guess!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
ISTJs, especially older ISTJs, how strong is your Fi and how important of a role does it play in deciding your goals? :)

One more question (and I'm sorry if it's a repeat!). What do ISTJs think of ISFJs?

I'm still developing my Fi....I think. Or I'm still in the process of understanding its impact on my life.

I think my reliance on Si-Te for the majority of my life has resulted in me relying on it in most situations.

Recently, I've had some pretty profound revelations in my life. Seriously, This year has been a struggle. I broke up with my girlfriend in January. While I was disappointed that it didn't work out, I felt relieved. I mean, it felt good that we weren't together. That messed with my head for a minute, until I figured that the whole time we weren't working, but I was ignoring my Fi. Si-Te was saying "Everything you've put your mind to has worked! This will too!", and I stuck with it. All the while, my Fi was telling me that 'She's a great girl, but not for you!"

I remember when I was playing ball and that hit me- I mean it hit me like a ton of bricks. The answer was to break up with her......I was so shook up by it, that I couldn't concentrate for the rest of the game LOL. Again I tried to suppress it, but within a few more weeks we were broken up.

Secondly, I realized that while I am able to do the work I'm doing, I don't enjoy it. As much as I'm able to do audit- it sucks. I can get into details, but I don't enjoy the type of details we have to chase. Before I figured that out, I was miserable here at work. Si-Te told me that I was successful at my old job in audit, so this one should be a breeze. But I wasn't doing well, Not because I couldn't, but because I had no desire to put the effort into it. Fi was telling me that, but again I ignored her (For some reason I assign them genders -Fe, Fi, and Se are female; Ne, Ni and Si are masculine). Don't ask

Once I figured that out, I was miserable until I talked to my boss about it. It was like I couldn't fake it anymore. I felt vulnerable as ever, but he actually understood.

So that has taught me that I can't ignore my feelings- my values. They are very strong, and I cannot stifle them in the name of Si-Te.

I also do a lot a lot of public speaking. I was told recently that I am a very informative speaker, but lack feeling and am not connecting much with my female listeners, and some of the more feelings based men I guess. Since that's an important aspect in the message, it's important to have it. So I have to allow my Fi to influence what's shown on the outside.

2) I know a few ISFJs. My mom is one. She hasn't been tested, but she fits the type. She was very black in white in a lot of situations, things you should and should not do. I used to follow her advice without question, but as I got older I found some of it to be very paranoid. Understanding MBTI helped me understand her view on things better. She can be very judgemental sometimes. But that's my mom- she birthed me and took care of me and helped me be the fine man I am today LOL. So she can give her 2 cents. I'll consider it, but won't live and die by it.

A good friend of mines is an ISFJ. A dude. I've discussed him in a few threads on here. He's a nice guy, but is very rigid in a lot of matters. He's the guy who tells me I'm cold on stage. LOL. We get a long, but I think my Te and his Fe clash- in terms of how we handle situations. It's funny but sometimes he'll get hurt. Like the time he told me he loved me............he was actually not going to talk to me anymore because I didn't say it back. Dude I'm not your wife LOL. Chill.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not trying to catch you in a lie. Just curious how you justify defining yourself as an ISTJ if you say yourself that you don't fit the core requirements. It's like saying "A cube must have 6 sides. Oh, and this other thing only has 5 sides but it's a cube anyway."

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you prefer to focus on very important details and are less concerned with more minute details?

Fair enough. Carry on. I was just curious.

You are correct. I saw I didn't reply to this.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I've heard, on a few occasions, that people don't know whether to take what I say seriously sometimes. I guess because my tone doesn't change much. So I can give a compliment to someone and they not know whether I was genuine or being a smart butt.

My tone doesn't change either. Nor my demeanor. Work is where I go to complete tasks and get paid for my efforts. I don't go to create friendships or engage others socially. Others seem offended by that. Perhaps their laughter is their coping skill, perhaps not. It is...interesting...however to see how much effort they put into something beyond the task at hand. I'm sure their perception is far different than mine, and that's what makes the world an interesting place.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
My tone doesn't change either. Nor my demeanor. Work is where I go to complete tasks and get paid for my efforts. I don't go to create friendships or engage others socially. Others seem offended by that. Perhaps their laughter is their coping skill, perhaps not. It is...interesting...however to see how much effort they put into something beyond the task at hand. I'm sure their perception is far different than mine, and that's what makes the world an interesting place.

Funny thing is, my day-to-day tasks are only the tip of the iceberg for me. I'd rather do that just well enough and be known for other things that constitute a leader and an overall contributor, than do my day-to-day with excellence and for nothing more.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Funny thing is, my day-to-day tasks are only the tip of the iceberg for me. I'd rather do that just well enough and be known for other things that constitute a leader and an overall contributor, than do my day-to-day with excellence and for nothing more.

Although I can't relate to wanting to be known by anyone for anything, I do respect it in others. For me, work is simply a task, nothing more. How others feel about it doesn't affect my ability to perform the task, which I consider paramount to accepting a salary for my efforts.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My question is:

"Are ISTJ the norm of society?"

No, xSFJ are. We just hang in for the ride. I think ISTJs are somewhat aware of what are the norms in society, so they can actually choose to follow the norms they are comfortable with, and make jest of the rest. I guess that's why we're so good with dry, day-to-day sense of humor.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Although I can't relate to wanting to be known by anyone for anything, I do respect it in others. For me, work is simply a task, nothing more. How others feel about it doesn't affect my ability to perform the task, which I consider paramount to accepting a salary for my efforts.

My paycheck makes it necessary to be there. It isn't my motivation. I have an ISTJ boss who feels that my paycheck is my motivation. I wish I could tell him directly that to motivate me, I need to WANT to be there.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
My paycheck makes it necessary to be there. It isn't my motivation. I have an ISTJ boss who feels that my paycheck is my motivation. I wish I could tell him directly that to motivate me, I need to WANT to be there.

I feel the opposite. I don't rely on others to motivate me - I motivate myself. I feel bad - like I let myself down - for accepting money and not having done the best I can - that was the point of the earlier post. If I do the best I can, then I'm happy. If that best isn't good enough for a company I'd expect to lose the job. That decision is for a company's executives, or contracted customers to make. They live with their decisions, I live with myself. Again, not pontificating, just explaining how I feel.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I've got one.

Homosexuality:

Thoughts? Opinions? Willingness to try?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Personally it's 'no' for me. My beliefs are based on what the Bible says about it.

Additionally, it's not the person so much as the act that the Bible condones. So the person should still be treated in the same manner that I would treat anyone.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
You said to whatever that you folks are tight with the info - sometimes on purpose and sometimes not. Why is that? Have you consciously weighed out the benefits of disclosure against the drawbacks and decided it's not worth it mostly, or is it just your default?

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Gay rights are actually very hot topic right now here in Finland. Some weeks ago there was a forum in TV with some influential people discussing whether gay couples should be allowed to have rights for adoption. Fundamentalistic views from a chairman of christian democrats led to mass flee from the church. I left the church for similar reasons some years ago.

So for me, I support full rights to gay people, since they are people just like the rest of us, and it's barbaric to limit their lives based on our dated collective moral values. I know some gay people, I've been hit by gay people and I've been to gay parties, but I'm totally non-gay.

And I prefer gay parties over non-gay parties because there's less macho men and chicks. There's less fighting and gays are less phony, because they know they are weird to begin with, so they are not afraid to embrace it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You said to whatever that you folks are tight with the info - sometimes on purpose and sometimes not. Why is that? Have you consciously weighed out the benefits of disclosure against the drawbacks and decided it's not worth it mostly, or is it just your default?

It's default. In my experience, most of the time, I'm going to give you exactly what you asked for. So the more specific the question, the more specific the answer. That's my subconscious at work. Although, I have learned that, depending on the relationship, being more open is actually a better thing, like giving your girlfriend more than what her question appears to ask on the surface, so that it draws us closer. If you are some random person on the street, I'm going to be tight.

I've also realized that withholding info protects me from any feelings of vulnerability, especially if I'm not comfortable with the person or the situation. Since we are inf Ne users, If someone was to ask us a question, in the back of our minds we will wonder what the real meaning behind the quesion is, driving our Ne crazy. I see this all the time with my boss' boss. My boss is ISTP and is cool as crap. He confirms a lot of feelings I have about his ISTJ boss. Like I told him I don't feel comfortable talking to his boss about much because the vibe I get from him is that he's thinking I have some ulterior motive behind what I'm asking. And the ISTP confirmed it. So, with that ISTJ boss, it can never be that I'm asking for something because I'm interested in my own development. In his mind I'm trying to take his job.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Since we are inf Ne users, If someone was to ask us a question, in the back of our minds we will wonder what the real meaning behind the quesion is, driving our Ne crazy.

Not me! I usually deliver the answer to whatever the question is. Lying rarely crosses my mind, or asking why am I being asked this question. A question deserves an answer. :)

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Oh, I've got one.

Homosexuality:

As long as others are happy with themselves and don't infringe on the rights of others then I have no opinion about what they do. As to willingness to try, the answer is no.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Personally, I don't disclose information if there is no purpose to do so. I don't deceive, but I will answer the question asked. e.g. There was a discussion at work near my desk among some about tv shows, and I was asked if I watch tv - I said no. When asked why I said I saw little point to it. Then I was what I did for fun. I replied "Nothing I'll talk about here." The conversation (and the group) then moved on. They didn't need to know what I did in my time away from the office.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Oh, I've got one.

Homosexuality:

Since I was an undergraduate in college I have been an active ally to the LGBT community. I have many friends of various sexual orientations and gender identities. And I also am bisexual.

I've always felt that people should be free to practice their sexuality in any way that they choose, as long as it does not harm another (unless they're into that sort of thing ;)).

I, personally, am a very paranoid person - probably moreso than the average ISTJ. My aversion to disclosing personal information generally has to do with not knowing that the other person's motives are. In most cases, I gain nothing by disclosing information about myself. So why bother?

I actually had a conversation along the lines in Ventrilo, specifically on the subject of disclosing personal details online (mostly on the subject of social networking websites such as Facebook/Myspace). I'm alarmed at the amount of information people make public on Facebook. There are already websites up and running that are devoted to gathering your personal information. Every little bit that they can get their hands on. From your name, age, height, weight - to things such as you socioeconomic status and estimated annual income. I think as technology becomes more advanced and as things like facial recognition software become more common/advanced, the things people have put out about themselves on the internet are going to come back to haunt them. Every forum, every profile, every picture posted that can be traced back to an email account/your name will be collected. This information will be used by prospective employers, prospective clients, etc etc.

For many people they may not mind those details being very available and I've often heard people say "I have nothing to hide". I, personally, find it very unsettling.

Sorry... I think I just went off on an unrelated rant than didn't totally answer your question.