• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
If he´s not qualified, he´ll be demoted sooner or later. And I can use that chance to take charge.
At first, I try to be my boss´ own boss, and prevent my institution or division from making a fool of itself. But, when it was not a "kill or be killed" situation, I didn´t interfere and, some higher-ups looked like complete idiots by proving their own incompetence. And was put in charge of some interesting things.

I don't think this happens fast enough. Some places, years on the job- loyalty in a sense will get you a promotion and keep you there.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't think this happens fast enough. Some places, years on the job- loyalty in a sense will get you a promotion and keep you there.

Depends of the kind of mistake he makes. I´ve seen people who have been working here for decades being demoted.

Frank

Do I get the big paycheck whether or not the plan fails?

You get what was agreed upon:D. The reason I ask is because an "on-board' person who favors what typists would say are typical of an ISTJ would be an excellent addition to any enterprise. Needed in so many areas. I just think an NT might not be as adept at expressing the details as a really strong SJ might like to see. Hell, thats what we want to pay you for.:yes:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
You get what was agreed upon:D. The reason I ask is because an "on-board' person who favors what typists would say are typical of an ISTJ would be an excellent addition to any enterprise. Needed in so many areas. I just think an NT might not be as adept at expressing the details as a really strong SJ might like to see. Hell, thats what we want to pay you for.:yes:

Definitely something I've experienced, but most when with an xNTJ. When working with a planned out scenario, the NT is fantastic at focusing on moving forward, thinking conceptually, but the SJ is the one that will focus on the intricacies of the operation, how it works, why it works, etc.

Frank

Definitely something I've experienced, but most when with an xNTJ. When working with a planned out scenario, the NT is fantastic at focusing on moving forward, thinking conceptually, but the SJ is the one that will focus on the intricacies of the operation, how it works, why it works, etc.

^ See what I mean? Quite a formidable combination of capabilities:2ar15:

PwnedSandMonster

MBTI Type
IXFJ
For other SJs (or whoever) -

How do you handle negative emotions? (sadness, anxiety, stress, etc.)

I've been in a bit of an emotional rut for the past week or so, that's why I'm asking. When I get these emotions, it's hard for me to get over them. I always end up thinking in the most negative ways instead of attempting to do things that make me happy. It's really unlike me to lose my motivation to do things and to find myself this unhappy.

What's worse is the feeling that I lack someone to talk to about my emotions. The only person I ever show my strong emotions to is my mother. I know it's bad holding things in, but I don't want people, even my friends, to see the more emotional side of me.

I would really appreciate some advice on ways to handle negative emotions. I really don't like to unload like this, even on the Internet, but I really don't know what else to do.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hello,

I'm ISTJ also. I can also get in a rut when it comes to negative emotions. As for how to get out of it, this depends on exactly why you're feeling bad.

Generally though, for me anyway, having someone I trust and can talk to and generally having someone like that around as support, someone I know truly cares about me, helps a lot to keep me going until I've figured out the problem or ridden it through, etc.

As for my part, I don't know if it's the case for most ISTJs, but I'm pretty sensitive and my lows can be pretty low. I find that reminding myself of that helps because otherwise I can blow things up too much in my mind and make the problem feel bigger than it is. I also find I can take care of strong negative emotions better when I don't add more stress to myself. Like, I don't pressure myself to do “useful” things. I take a break.

Good luck!

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hope things get better for you.

So far, things are looking up. He quit drinking cold turkey, which has been leaps and bounds of improvement in him, but sometimes he just acts like a 12 year old.

PwnedSandMonster

MBTI Type
IXFJ
Hello,

I'm ISTJ also. I can also get in a rut when it comes to negative emotions. As for how to get out of it, this depends on exactly why you're feeling bad.

Generally though, for me anyway, having someone I trust and can talk to and generally having someone like that around as support, someone I know truly cares about me, helps a lot to keep me going until I've figured out the problem or ridden it through, etc.

As for my part, I don't know if it's the case for most ISTJs, but I'm pretty sensitive and my lows can be pretty low. I find that reminding myself of that helps because otherwise I can blow things up too much in my mind and make the problem feel bigger than it is. I also find I can take care of strong negative emotions better when I don't add more stress to myself. Like, I don't pressure myself to do “useful” things. I take a break.

Good luck!

Thanks, that really helps. It's good to know that there are other people besides myself that feel things similar to what I do. After a loooong talk with someone, I did feel a lot better. I think I just need someone there to tell me to keep my head up and things like that. I know what you mean by being sensitive and making problems seem bigger than they are. I guess it's just something that certain people like myself have to work on :)

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
OK, I have an ISTJ in my life and she and I don't understand each other at all. The part I find most difficult is that she makes belittling and criticizing comments to me, to her husband, and to people around her in general. My question is:

Why does she do this?
Is it because she feels these people need improving and she actually thinks she is helping? Is it because she feels insecure and has to put others down to make herself feel better? Does she understand that people perceive her as rude? If she did, would she care?

What would be the best way to respond when she makes critical comments like this? I would like to have a positive relationship with her, but I find it very difficult because I we are so different.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
OK, I have an ISTJ in my life and she and I don't understand each other at all. The part I find most difficult is that she makes belittling and criticizing comments to me, to her husband, and to people around her in general. My question is:

Why does she do this?
Is it because she feels these people need improving and she actually thinks she is helping? Is it because she feels insecure and has to put others down to make herself feel better? Does she understand that people perceive her as rude? If she did, would she care?

What would be the best way to respond when she makes critical comments like this? I would like to have a positive relationship with her, but I find it very difficult because I we are so different.

Its hard to say without knowing what kind of comments they are, but to they appear to have any kind of purpose to them? For example, once when I was in highschool and I broke my foot, I started gaining weight because I wasn't walking. My mother made a comment along the lines of, "If you get fat, no one will ever love you and you'll be alone the rest of your life." Now - thats a pretty awful comment... But as I got older I realized that she only did that when she saw me going down the same path she had, and wanted to prevent me from making her mistakes. There are a lot of cases of her making some comments with... good intentions but bad delivery.

This could be a similar situation. Maybe she has tried to subtly give hints that she thinks you should change some aspect of yourself, and in her frustration she didn't know how else to "help".

Either way, it's not ok. And they may not even be aware of it. If you're friends or close at all... There should be some kind of drive to 'please' the other person, because most of the time if you tell an ISTJ something is wrong they'll go to great lengths to right it (if they have a sense of loyalty toward you). However, if you're not very close friends she might not care... as theres no guarantee that theres that same sense of loyalty.

Personally, friends with the person or not - I would just want to be told bluntly that I'm being too mean (and this has happened to me before). Even if I don't particularly care about the person, I usually don't mean to be rude and will do what I can to avoid confrontation.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks, that really helps. It's good to know that there are other people besides myself that feel things similar to what I do. After a loooong talk with someone, I did feel a lot better. I think I just need someone there to tell me to keep my head up and things like that. I know what you mean by being sensitive and making problems seem bigger than they are. I guess it's just something that certain people like myself have to work on :)

You're welcome :) I'm glad you have someone to talk to. And about being sensitive, I also find that it can work the other way. That I'm feeling low and then something really random or weird will suddenly make me feel really jolly for a while. And then I'm depressed again :/ I think ISTJs can take things too seriously sometimes and that can get one stuck in a rut. At least, I know I would benefit from not taking certain things so seriously. And yes, having another trusted person around with a different perspective can be really helpful.

H

Hate

ISTJs... How do you feel about losing Donna Cecilia as an SJ?

You guys really lost a good one there.

POUR OUT A LITTLE LIQUOR

images

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

POUR OUT A LITTLE LIQUOR

images

:huh:

When did this happen? I see she done went Bi on us....

She was a down chick!!

She fallin for at iNfluence...not good.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It doesn't matter. Whoever he/she/it is is whoever he/she/it is.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you handle rebellion against the institution with which you align yourself?

(i.e. a new employee trying to undo your workplace's current political structure in order to establish a more relaxed, informal atmosphere?)

Also, as a more open-ended question:

How do view/handle rebellion/rebelliousness?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

POUR OUT A LITTLE LIQUOR

images

Juice, this seems like my funeral with you as the priest.

"iNfluence", yes. Maybe being here has hepled me to get back into my healthy self.

I started taking MBTI tests six years ago, when I was going through a depressive cycle, which is ending now.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Juice, this seems like my funeral with you as the priest.

"iNfluence", yes. Maybe being here has hepled me to get back into my healthy self.

I started taking MBTI tests six years ago, when I was going through a depressive cycle, which is ending now.

You sounded too intuitive. "I envision how events will develop." That's Ni, not Si. I hardly believe you are an ISTJ, because of how articulate you are. Usually INTJs know they are INTJs.