• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
Also, as an SP myself (not sure how it works for you) I bond really easily with people in general by just DOING something with them. Anything really. Taking a drive, going someplace etc. And SJs seem to enjoy doing things;

Interesting you should say that. My ISFJ was in tears a few days ago, saying, "I can sense that you don't enjoy us spending time together..." I didn't think it showed. :rolli: So I had to offer reassurance that, "yes, I do enjoy spending time together, but you know I don't enjoy chit-chat." We've both joked about that being a weakness of my temperament. And I suggested that we do something together instead of sitting looking at each other over our drinks making small talk. I would enjoy completing a mundane household chore together.

But this is for ISTJ questions, and I've veered off into ISFJ talk.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It may have been meant as satire, but it hits a little too close to home. The ISTJ I know actually does talk a lot about those two things - basketball (and other sports) and quarantining groups of people who think differently. Maybe not literally shooting up trailer parks, but every discussion seems to end with some group of people not measuring up and therefore being of no value and no use, and who therefore should be rounded up and shipped off or whatever. From what I can tell, that is, indeed, a weakness of the ISTJ personality.

So, how do I get beyond that? How do I talk with such a person and bring them closer to understanding that all types are necessary and have their own strengths that are of value to the whole scheme of things, and keep it from drifting into a declaration that certain kinds of people who don't measure up to the ISTJ's standard shouldn't have a right to exist? There's a narrowness of thinking there tied up with value judgments that I need to get past -- but how? And how, when my own inclination as an INTJ is to take the other side and start debating the issue myself? :blush: I find myself taking a side in a debate completely opposite my own opinion out of frustration.

Well, technically, the world is a game of power. Darwin. Survival of the Fittest. Those who make the strongest moves survive. Our weaknesses as human beings tends us to explore the necessity of Extraverted Feeling, to ask and provide assistance. Although, one could venture to guess that in a world without Extraverted Feeling, the most intelligent are the ones to rise above the rest. This can cause an area of the population to become obsolete. :)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It may have been meant as satire, but it hits a little too close to home. The ISTJ I know actually does talk a lot about those two things - basketball (and other sports) and quarantining groups of people who think differently. Maybe not literally shooting up trailer parks, but every discussion seems to end with some group of people not measuring up and therefore being of no value and no use, and who therefore should be rounded up and shipped off or whatever. From what I can tell, that is, indeed, a weakness of the ISTJ personality.

So, how do I get beyond that? How do I talk with such a person and bring them closer to understanding that all types are necessary and have their own strengths that are of value to the whole scheme of things, and keep it from drifting into a declaration that certain kinds of people who don't measure up to the ISTJ's standard shouldn't have a right to exist? There's a narrowness of thinking there tied up with value judgments that I need to get past -- but how? And how, when my own inclination as an INTJ is to take the other side and start debating the issue myself? :blush: I find myself taking a side in a debate completely opposite my own opinion out of frustration.

Kind of sounds like my friend. He's more the backwoods, kill a deer with his bare hands, kind of guy. I don't take him from the front, but from the side. There are a number of things I agree with him on, but slightly more moderate and I hold myself there rather than doing any diametric opposition. My stability and often sensability helps out and over the years has softened the edges. That said, we've been friends for 15 years.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So you're trying to bring an ISTJ out of a closed-minded perspective. From the way you've presented your "counterarguments" in discussions with him, have his attitudes or opinions ever changed over time? Sounds like a good, basic approach to me.

The way I would offer a counteropinion in discussions is to lay them out there, but not drive them home, or even to their logical conclusion. Let him put two and two together, and he won't feel coerced--nobody's going to appreciate that, and as an ISTJ, I'd resent someone trying to coerce me out of my mindset, even if closed-minded. But those suggestions, presented as "I wonder, though, if..." and just left at his feet, so to speak, can build up over time, and he may wonder about your points afterwards. Seems most likely to have success here.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Exactly. I'm not likely to change an opinion in the face of an argument, but I will dwell on and analyze it in my own time later on, then see if my opinion needs to change.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The way I would offer a counteropinion in discussions is to lay them out there, but not drive them home, or even to their logical conclusion. Let him put two and two together, and he won't feel coerced--nobody's going to appreciate that, and as an ISTJ, I'd resent someone trying to coerce me out of my mindset, even if closed-minded. But those suggestions, presented as "I wonder, though, if..." and just left at his feet, so to speak, can build up over time, and he may wonder about your points afterwards. Seems most likely to have success here.

The text in bold.

You can make me understand your point of view, but not convince me that it is the best. You take the best out of me when you show me what you think as it is, objectively. Just tell me what you think, and why. Don´t try to make me take your side.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The text in bold.

You can make me understand your point of view, but not convince me that it is the best. You take the best out of me when you show me what you think as it is, objectively. Just tell me what you think, and why. Don´t try to make me take your side.

Give me an example of someone coercing you please, to see if I understand what you guys are talking about.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Give me an example of someone coercing you please, to see if I understand what you guys are talking about.

I have lots of examples in mind, from politics to work procedures. Coercing means trying to change my thoughts.

I´m not the most suitable here to tell you that, though. Every person that tries to coerce me fails miserably. I always end up telling them something like: "It´s all right, I understand what you are saying. But I think differently. Can YOU understand that too?"

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I have lots of examples in mind, from politics to work procedures. Coercing means trying to change my thoughts.

I´m not the most suitable here to tell you that, though. Every person that tries to coerce me fails miserably. I always end up telling them something like: "It´s all right, I understand what you are saying. But I think differently. Can YOU understand that too?"

What's so bad about trying to change your thoughts if it's not done underhandedly? I'm open to anyone changing my thoughts. It's how I test the strengths of my own ideas.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
What's so bad about trying to change your thoughts if it's not done underhandedly? I'm open to anyone changing my thoughts. It's how I test the strengths of my own ideas.

There is a difference between changing your thoughts and understanding what others thing. Of course that arguing (in reasonable amounts) helps to test the strength of your ideas. But, understanding different points of views helps to broaden your own horizons.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
From the way you've presented your "counterarguments" in discussions with him, have his attitudes or opinions ever changed over time?

Actually, yes, in many instances his attitudes have changed.

But it's hard for me to say, "It's all right, I understand what you are saying. But I think differently. Can YOU understand that too?" when he's just stated that all people who believe such and such should be rounded up and shipped off, or that personality types who are chronically late don't have any redeeming points. He seems to be more open to changing his mind on issues that don't involve people, but when it involves people, his justice tendency overrides any mercy or understanding. he can be friendly with them, but when it comes up in conversation between us, his true feelings come out and I'm ashamed to even know him.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9

But it's hard for me to say, "It's all right, I understand what you are saying. But I think differently. Can YOU understand that too?" when he's just stated that all people who believe such and such should be rounded up and shipped off, or that personality types who are chronically late don't have any redeeming points. He seems to be more open to changing his mind on issues that don't involve people, but when it involves people, his justice tendency overrides any mercy or understanding. he can be friendly with them, but when it comes up in conversation between us, his true feelings come out and I'm ashamed to even know him.

It is not that we are doomed. We are more prone to change our minds as we live, motivated by facts, and not by people trying to do so. We see that behaviour as invasive.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
He often says, "MBTI isn't an excuse; anybody can change," but what I'm hearing (based on conversations like I've described) is, "Anybody can change. Once people learn they're not ISTJ, they can work on those cognitive functions that will make them just like me -- a responsible person who pulls his weight."

He's the only tested ISTJ type I know, and he seems to confirm all the negative ISTJ stereotypes (although he has his good points, of course). Lately I've just tried to stay away from subjects that will involve people because they just leave him feeling smug and self-righteous, and me furious at him. At this point, is avoiding discussion about people my best option?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
He often says, "MBTI isn't an excuse; anybody can change," but what I'm hearing (based on conversations like I've described) is, "Anybody can change. Once people learn they're not ISTJ, they can work on those cognitive functions that will make them just like me -- a responsible person who pulls his weight."

He's the only tested ISTJ type I know, and he seems to confirm all the negative ISTJ stereotypes (although he has his good points, of course). Lately I've just tried to stay away from subjects that will involve people because they just leave him feeling smug and self-righteous, and me furious at him. At this point, is avoiding discussion about people my best option?

Yes, it is. I have my own list of "topics to avoid" when dealing with different people.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good point. I wrote it that way because most people don't like feeling coerced, but different people (and perhaps types) may have different ideas as to what qualifies as "coercion" in the first place.

When someone seems to lay down comments or questions in a way that hint toward an "expected" path, a path they "expect" me to take and are waiting with their bait in the water, I take offense to that. I don't like being "led" to the place you want me to be; I'll make my own choices. Something like that... Still not very specific, but that involves interpretation that varies from person to person.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Perhaps. But, then again, I see this, about ISTJ/INTJ, posted by an ISTJ that seems to confirm the ISTJ stereotype:

For me, wanting to find common ground with an ISTJ, this is not what I want to hear.

That's not to say that this is ALL that ISTJs have going on. Some do, but all types have their dunces.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
So you're trying to bring an ISTJ out of a closed-minded perspective. From the way you've presented your "counterarguments" in discussions with him, have his attitudes or opinions ever changed over time? Sounds like a good, basic approach to me.

+1....this is truth right here. Listen to this man!!!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

He's either young and inexperienced, or just plain stupid....that we can't see.