• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I've heard him say that before! After about 10 months together he has gotten to the point where he'll eat something off of my plate... with his own fork...

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
do all ISTJs live in dread fear of someone they aren't REALLY close too drinking out of thier glass or less than immaculate silverwear in resteraunts, or is it just mine? :huh:

So this is a type thing? :huh:

My ISFP girlfried got offended when we were first together and I told her that I didn't appreciate her drinking out of my glass. I told her we weren't that close. She brought up the kissing argument....well this is different!!

It's like an invasion of privacy! LOL

I also don't like someone just picking off my plate, either. Ask!
That might be because I have 10 sibs....dinner time was survival of the fittest!!!:yes:

I'm not that picky about silverware; If they are too nasty looking, I'll ask for some hot water and wipe them down. Either that or a lemon.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I pretty much do, yeah. It's not "dread fear," but it is gross and I don't allow people to do it. If a family member tries some food with a fork, then hands me the fork and says, "Try it, it's good!" I just respond, "...You used that fork."

I'm not that bad with family, unless it's the black sheep. Who knows where they've been?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I brought up the kissing argument as well! :laugh:

now I'm allowed to drink a small sip from his glass... but that's taken some serious time to work up to :doh:

kind of funny :)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Whatever, was that the first time you came across that, with your ISTJ?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
For the ISTJ, would mixing work and play be similar to the chemist mixing elemental sodium with liquid water?

Ie,
alkalimetals.jpg

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should invest in some safety goggles for dealing with my ISTJ boss from here on out.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
For the ISTJ, would mixing work and play be similar to the chemist mixing elemental sodium with liquid water?

Ie,
alkalimetals.jpg

I'm asking because I'm not sure if I should invest in some safety goggles for dealing with my ISTJ boss from here on out.

If you are dealing with an older ISTJ, yeah...it's all work, then play. You don't mix the two. Like oil and water. Most younger ones have a better ability to switch it up. It's only when they are really focused on meeting a deadline, or something is so serious that it consumes all thought that they go hard with the work.

My ISTJ boss irks me.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
:yes: yes, indeed... and this is the first time I've been really close to an istj!

Get to know us, and we are good people. :yes: Just don't make any sudden moves!

Crazy how we are perceived as the scum of the 16 types.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Get to know us, and we are good people. :yes: Just don't make any sudden moves!

:hug: you're not the scum of the 16 types... I feel lucky to have an istj and keep telling people that they too should find one!

there's something to say for someone who's steady and dependable with a great sense of humor and delightful quirks :wubbie:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
:hug: you're not the scum of the 16 types... I feel lucky to have an istj and keep telling people that they too should find one!

there's something to say for someone who's steady and dependable with a great sense of humor and delightful quirks :wubbie:

I know. ..............I'm so wuvable :wubbie:

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj

Can someone explain to me why this is? It's like these people are ranting about some "other" that they haven't even encountered and just call anyone they don't like an ESTJ or ISTJ.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Can someone explain to me why this is? It's like these people are ranting about some "other" that they haven't even encountered and just call anyone they don't like an ESTJ or ISTJ.

Aw, don't read too much into it.

Honestly, several types take a lot of crap on this forum. (Have you not read all the terrible threads about NFPs?).

People around here complain about STJs because this forum has a significant number of NPs, and the controlling force that emanates from the STJ's Te is an overt oppression to Ne's desire for freedom, so we gang up on it as an over-compensatory form of breaking our [invisible] chains.

That doesn't mean we think STJs are the scum of the Earth. They are just hard for us NPs to mesh with.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Aw, don't read too much into it.

Honestly, several types take a lot of crap on this forum. (Have you not read all the terrible threads about NFPs?).

People around here complain about STJs because this forum has a significant number of NPs, and the controlling force that emanates from the STJ's Te is an overt oppression to Ne's desire for freedom, so we gang up on it as an over-compensatory form of breaking our [invisible] chains.

That doesn't mean we think STJs are the scum of the Earth. They are just hard for us NPs to mesh with.

Uhh, Te collides with Ne that much? I'd say being an SJ hits NPs more so. My Te hits the Feelers the most. I'm just so intensely focused on my duties of the moment and my daily needs that I don't see Ne as much of anything except to serve Te's structure.

As for eating from a fork from another plate or a sip from a glass, wtf? Why are you equating such minute things with ISTJs? Just because...2 or 3 of them above me don't do it? I'd be all for eating from the plate of my SO or drinking out of their glass, because I'd find it romantic. I'd only be concerned about germs if they were sick.

I know I'm an ISTJ, but I'm sick of being lobbed into a group of these conformist dorks. Maybe I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time around NTs or it's who I am, but I have very intense reasoning for what I do, and I'm constantly re-analyzing my motivations to make sure that they are practical and human. Te is wonderful. It's amazing, and I'm probably 95% T, but I'm painfully aware that any thinker-related skill I have is only something necessary to sustain life, and everything outside of that is from me, the human being.

Grr, I hate venting and/or ranting but I've spent a lot of time honing my Si and Te, and I refuse to have those skills be treated as some ignorant stereotype just because people refuse to stop and try to understand an opposing point of view.

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
As for eating from a fork from another plate or a sip from a glass, wtf? Why are you equating such minute things with ISTJs? Just because...2 or 3 of them above me don't do it? I'd be all for eating from the plate of my SO or drinking out of their glass, because I'd find it romantic. I'd only be concerned about germs if they were sick.

I know I'm an ISTJ, but I'm sick of being lobbed into a group of these conformist dorks. Maybe I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time around NTs or it's who I am, but I have very intense reasoning for what I do, and I'm constantly re-analyzing my motivations to make sure that they are practical and human. Te is wonderful. It's amazing, and I'm probably 95% T, but I'm painfully aware that any thinker-related skill I have is only something necessary to sustain life, and everything outside of that is from me, the human being.

Grr, I hate venting and/or ranting but I've spent a lot of time honing my Si and Te, and I refuse to have those skills be treated as some ignorant stereotype just because people refuse to stop and try to understand an opposing point of view.

FACT. That stuff about eating and drinking describes OCD or something...not a Myers-Briggs type. In fact, I know an INTJ who does those things. Guess she's an ISTJ in disguise.

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ditto to Raz and Sam, I am not that anal about drinking from the same glass. Eating from the same utensil may be a different story, but I don't believe any of it is related to MBTI. I know an INFP who is extremely anal about that kinda stuff, and she is pretty much an overall germ-freak.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

For me, I'd say to remember there's a time to be funny, and there's a time to stop and be serious. When I'm actually working on something at work, I take things (myself and the people/things/events around me) seriously, turning off my sense of humor for the moment.

To Raz, sure, I figured it was mostly coincidence. Because Si is personalized, maybe, so different from person to person?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Uhh, Te collides with Ne that much? I'd say being an SJ hits NPs more so. My Te hits the Feelers the most. I'm just so intensely focused on my duties of the moment and my daily needs that I don't see Ne as much of anything except to serve Te's structure.

The funny thing is you rarely, if ever see an SJ on this forum make some malicious, misguided commment about how wierd or random their NT boss is, or their scatterbrained, flighty NF classmate.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh:

I was mostly joking and making an observation about a funny behavioral quirk that my istj has (ONE of them... there's a lot :dry:)... you could have answered the origional question as opposed to deciding I was stereotyping when I wasn't :cheese:

It's like if someone said that ESTPs like to play loud music while working around the house... it's probably true about a lot of us (me included- Red Hot Chili Peppers makes doing dishes almost fun!) but not ALL of us! :laugh:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
:huh:

I was mostly joking and making an observation about a funny behavioral quirk that my istj has (ONE of them... there's a lot :dry:)... you could have answered the origional question as opposed to deciding I was stereotyping when I wasn't :cheese:

It's like if someone said that ESTPs like to play loud music while working around the house... it's probably true about a lot of us (me included- Red Hot Chili Peppers makes doing dishes almost fun!) but not ALL of us! :laugh:

It's just such a small inane thing to even ask. Uhh, I listen to music religiously. If I'm doing something alone, I'm either stuck in my head, or caught up in a mundane task that I feel needs some good music to make it enjoyable. Am I wannabe ESTP now? NO. These are just THOUGHT PROCESSES.

Specific actions in the outside world are not to be equated with the route your brain will want to take to arrive at a conclusion. There's a human being inside there with unique experiences and emotions that will make them FAR different from each other. You're just getting the tail end of my frustration with people stereotyping ISTJs. I'm not responsible for the ISTJs that fail to notice the ineffectiveness of insecurity or repeating unnecessary tasks.