• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's how it should be....to give the recipients an opportunity to accomplish the goal within their comforts, and I consciously try to keep that in mind instead of restricting others.

This is how I naturally see things so its easy for me to pass it on as its what I do and like passing on a natural filter.

ISTJ and ISTP work together pretty well with a slight constant tension. The ISTJ jumps first for a quick fix based on the data sitting on the table while the ISTP digs for the reasons behind it.

I work with an ISTJ and its fun now that I know MBTI to sit and watch as he comes up with solutions after each new piece of data is presented where as I sit and just listen trying to get to reasons behind what someone wants us to do.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Selling thick skins for $50 a piece.

That's another thing that I think is misrepresented...ISTJs aren't as thick skinned as they appear. I'd say that I do sometimes take things personally that I shouldn't. It's something that I've learned to deal with, and I'm better as I get older, but until I really know a person and know how to differ between them being serious and kidding around, I will wonder how I should take their comments.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is how I naturally see things so its easy for me to pass it on as its what I do and like passing on a natural filter.

ISTJ and ISTP work together pretty well with a slight constant tension. The ISTJ jumps first for a quick fix based on the data sitting on the table while the ISTP digs for the reasons behind it.

I work with an ISTJ and its fun now that I know MBTI to sit and watch as he comes up with solutions after each new piece of data is presented where as I sit and just listen trying to get to reasons behind what someone wants us to do.

What kind of work do you do?

The ISTP manager's so laid back.....I asked to work with him for 1st quarter with the hopes that I report to him by mid-year. The ESTJ is a boy scout psycho. He's good at managing the operations (make sure you fill out your time sheets, other stuff's in on time) but is NOT a people leader.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh, ISTJ's! u got some esplainin' to do!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What kind of work do you do?

The ISTP manager's so laid back.....I asked to work with him for 1st quarter with the hopes that I report to him by mid-year. The ESTJ is a boy scout psycho. He's good at managing the operations (make sure you fill out your time sheets, other stuff's in on time) but is NOT a people leader.

Im in programming. I thought about trying to apply for manager, but I cant keep track of things very good. ISTJ seems to be a pretty good middle ground between ESTJ and ISTP. If I was put into that position I would figure out a way, but its getting a position since I dont have the ability or knowledge right now. Its hard to sell yourself on the ability to figure things out.

I used to work for someone that could possibly be an ISTP. Time sheets were a breeze as he didnt care about all the details and I just always put a straight 40 hours worked, he was more focused on the meeting every deadline and results. He would call me in his office, draw out a rough sketch of what he wanted and the idea and who to contact if I had questions and let me go. Right now at my job our time is so micromanaged because its used as a ruler of what we can take on and how well we manage. My previous job was more ask me if I can handle and if I say yes then you can trust me it will get done along with everything else I said, I will handle my own time and can be trusted to produce results. I also had the freedom to come and go as I pleased and the actual time I spent working always fluctuated based on need and I managed that myself.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Im in programming. I thought about trying to apply for manager, but I cant keep track of things very good. ISTJ seems to be a pretty good middle ground between ESTJ and ISTP. If I was put into that position I would figure out a way, but its getting a position since I dont have the ability or knowledge right now. Its hard to sell yourself on the ability to figure things out.

I used to work for someone that could possibly be an ISTP. Time sheets were a breeze as he didnt care about all the details and I just always put a straight 40 hours worked, he was more focused on the meeting every deadline and results. He would call me in his office, draw out a rough sketch of what he wanted and the idea and who to contact if I had questions and let me go. Right now at my job our time is so micromanaged because its used as a ruler of what we can take on and how well we manage. My previous job was more ask me if I can handle and if I say yes then you can trust me it will get done along with everything else I said, I will handle my own time and can be trusted to produce results. I also had the freedom to come and go as I pleased and the actual time I spent working always fluctuated based on need and I managed that myself.

I need the flexibility to work at my own hours. I pretty much spend the first part of the day taking care of personal stuff, and then I'll finish strong towards the end of the day. Since I have a laptop I can take it home and I can reply and send emails as I sit on the couch, watching TV or whatever. I like that aspect.

We are managed to budget, which doesn't make sense, since we are salaried and we are not working for external clients. In Public Accounting, blowing a budget means hitting the pockets of the Partner, and that isn't cool. Again, the ESTJ is told that making the budget is what's important, so that's all his concern is. He said in so many words he'd like to do a quality job, and train his people, but since the powers that be said come in on budget, that's his focus, and he's going to make it, at all costs.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Alright, so in the type world, ISTJs get the reputation for being the most boring, humorless, uptight, and predictable type out of the 16.

So my question for ISTJs is, assuming you disagree, what type(s) do you think tend to be more boring, humorless, uptight, and/or predictable than the ISTJ, on average?

I better not get a predictable answer!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need the flexibility to work at my own hours. I pretty much spend the first part of the day taking care of personal stuff, and then I'll finish strong towards the end of the day. Since I have a laptop I can take it home and I can reply and send emails as I sit on the couch, watching TV or whatever. I like that aspect.

We are managed to budget, which doesn't make sense, since we are salaried and we are not working for external clients. In Public Accounting, blowing a budget means hitting the pockets of the Partner, and that isn't cool. Again, the ESTJ is told that making the budget is what's important, so that's all his concern is. He said in so many words he'd like to do a quality job, and train his people, but since the powers that be said come in on budget, that's his focus, and he's going to make it, at all costs.

Thats what I dont get also about salaried employees. You pay me to do XYZ not for how much I work. I do work for external clients which makes sense in regards to deadlines, but not micromanaging my hours worked. To me if you stick to deadline and hit it then you will never be overbudget because of salary.

Its like this recent project we were over hours from what we estimated and said and it was handled by working over 40 hour work weeks, but that has nothing to do with budget as we are salaried and the hours are estimates anyway so they arent even accurate nor do they have anything to do with our budget, but it makes it look like we cant manage our budget because of hours when you run calculations so what happens, we have to keep even better track of our hours and over estimate things so we can "look" better.

As a manager you should trust when a person is over worked and recognize it and work to distribute it across the board by cross training. If you focus on deadline though the budget will work because of salaries. Sometimes you have to understand the leverage and all aspects and use it to your advantage in letting go of part of what you manage and let those areas manage itself focussing on what actually matters.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Alright, so in the type world, ISTJs get the reputation for being the most boring, humorless, uptight, and predictable type out of the 16.

So my question for ISTJs is, assuming you disagree, what type(s) do you think tend to be more boring, humorless, uptight, and/or predictable than the ISTJ, on average?

Uptight is subjective. I tend to think of feelers as being uptight. I get bored quickly by social rules dictated by FJs and I hate having my words prodded on by FPs. I have to censor myself around feelers, and it makes them boring.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

INTJs. Or maybe ENTJs.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Uptight is subjective. I tend to think of feelers as being uptight. I get bored quickly by social rules dictated by FJs and I hate having my words prodded on by FPs. I have to censor myself around feelers, and it makes them boring.

I have yet to find ISTJs uptight and boring. I think this is actually a stigma that causes some ISTJs to be confused with ISTPs in regard to MBTI. My second wifes husband(she coined me her technology husband without "wife" benefits :yim_rolling_on_the_) is ISTJ and we are alot alike on the outside. But Te is very blunt and I can easily see a need to have to censor it around F while she lets her Te run wild at times with him and he probably accepts it because he understands it. Just as he can probably let his Fi out around her as she accepts it because she understands it. My ENFJ wife has a huge issue with my sons NFP teachers Te emails when she tries to be objective. It has a more "logical" blunt flow where as Fe is more of a "feeling" flow which makes logic jump around a bit.

My uncle is ISTJ and he can be more crazy then me in certain areas and it probably makes him appear ISTP as I can easily see him being pegged as an ISTP when he is confident and enjoying himself without a need to try to censor himself. But we are very different in the way we go about things.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I have yet to find ISTJs uptight and boring. I think this is actually a stigma that causes some ISTJs to be confused with ISTPs in regard to MBTI. My second wifes husband(she coined me her technology husband without "wife" benefits :yim_rolling_on_the_) is ISTJ and we are alot alike on the outside. But Te is very blunt and I can easily see a need to have to censor it around F while she lets her Te run wild at times with him and he probably accepts it because he understands it. Just as he can probably let his Fi out around her as she accepts it because she understands it. My ENFJ wife has a huge issue with my sons NFP teachers Te emails when she tries to be objective. It has a more "logical" blunt flow where as Fe is more of a "feeling" flow which makes logic jump around a bit.

My uncle is ISTJ and he can be more crazy then me in certain areas and it probably makes him appear ISTP as I can easily see him being pegged as an ISTP when he is confident and enjoying himself without a need to try to censor himself. But we are very different in the way we go about things.

I can put myself among INTJs or ISTPs and seem very similar to them. I tend to make ISTP friends easily, though. Te just feels really good, so it's hard to stop it once it gets going. Plus, I love attaching emotion to impersonal things just to see people's reaction to it. I love to analyze, it's what I do.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can put myself among INTJs or ISTPs and seem very similar to them. I tend to make ISTP friends easily, though. Te just feels really good, so it's hard to stop it once it gets going. Plus, I love attaching emotion to impersonal things just to see people's reaction to it. I love to analyze, it's what I do.

Yes, the only real problems I seem to have around IxTJs have to do with women and probably because of Te vs Fe. My lack of problems and comfort around women because of Fe and their issues with using Te around them. I have always had a need to try to tone down Fe around Te. Luckily Fi sees Te as such a strength because its an FPs weaker function that they become highly supportive of TJ use of it because they admire it.

Its all really a balancing act that we put on.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So you are one of 3 ISTJ siblings and an ENFP? Anymore and what are their types?

That's interesting....I'm one of 11, and while I haven't finished typing them all, I'd say I have one other ISTJ (estimated) brother who is 9 years older than me, but that's it. I think I have one IxxP brother, an ENTP brother (estimated), an ENFP sister (confirmed), ESFP sister (confirmed), ESFx sister (estimated), and the rest I have not typed.

I think it's funny you can see the extremes in your family, with your brother who won't drive over the speedlimit- I think that's the image a lot of people have of SJs

I also have an INTJ brother, an INTJ mom, and an INFP dad. Don't know about SO types in the siblings yet. That's cool that you have 11 siblings, wow. How much of an age range? Yeah, my dear older brother does have some issues with anxiety and guilt which makes him a bit hard to live with... For those who get upset with SJs like that, please also realize he is VERY softhearted and very romantic at heart and tends to always stop to help people with flat tires, etc. He just has a great deal of difficulty with being "open" with emotions all the time or changing course quickly.

I have to censor myself around feelers, and it makes them boring.
Raz, I think you might just have hit on it! I think THAT is what makes a person boring, no matter what the type, if we have to censor ourselves (IOW, suppress part of our essential being) around them.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

I think the textbook description of an ISTJ is boring, but I'm a living contrast! :D

I'd say that any IxTJ or ExTJ has the potential for being boring.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
As a manager you should trust when a person is over worked and recognize it and work to distribute it across the board by cross training. If you focus on deadline though the budget will work because of salaries. Sometimes you have to understand the leverage and all aspects and use it to your advantage in letting go of part of what you manage and let those areas manage itself focussing on what actually matters.

This is what I'm trying to establish here...the ISTJ big boss has everyone siloed on respective teams, so there's no ability to slide in and pick up should somebody else be strapped. Now there's rumor that the ESTJ is interviewing ( I PRAY HE GETS THE JOB) and the ISTP is hinting on leaving too.. So boss man is trying to scramble and figure out contingency. If he was training across like I suggested this would not be an issue.

This would also avoid the poor newbie being pigeon-holed with some routine requests and that's ALL he does. If we all chip in and do a little of the work, we'd all have time for the major stuff.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

I agree. I think because we take in a lot of what's around us (Si), we are very astute joke tellers. I read in some book that we are among the best joke tellers. I agree. :yes:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I also have an INTJ brother, an INTJ mom, and an INFP dad. Don't know about SO types in the siblings yet. That's cool that you have 11 siblings, wow. How much of an age range? Yeah, my dear older brother does have some issues with anxiety and guilt which makes him a bit hard to live with... For those who get upset with SJs like that, please also realize he is VERY softhearted and very romantic at heart and tends to always stop to help people with flat tires, etc. He just has a great deal of difficulty with being "open" with emotions all the time or changing course quickly.

Raz, I think you might just have hit on it! I think THAT is what makes a person boring, no matter what the type, if we have to censor ourselves (IOW, suppress part of our essential being) around them.

My youngest brother is 28; the oldest will be 50 this year!